Snow Day Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm bummed that up here our snow is overnight tomorrow night. If only it were yesterday and I could've gotten a day off classes. Clearly I checked out for the semester already.:whistle: Only 2 weeks in, but I just want to get to vet school already!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Weelllll.... I've been told the storm is supposed to stop dumping snow my Sunday afternoon? If that's the case, as long as you have enough food to last through the weekend, and possibly through Tuesday, then you should be fine?

I tried to go buy things on Wednesday night to make a couple crockpot recipes, and Trader Joe's was cleaned out of most meats, most breads, and a lot of produce. Not sure if the situation's any worse yesterday or today.

Ahh. I was being sarcastic but don't think it came across right. I definitely bought a crap ton of junk food I don't usually go for, because snowpocalypse says I can. XD

Reactions: 1 users
4-5 inches here in Nashville! Had a blast sledding with my 2yr old nieces!

just kidding.... after it continued snowing all day the final total was 8 inches!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Heck, we get a snow day, I still gotta drive out to the farm in my little Corolla and feed the pigs. Pigs don't care there's snow blocking the roads.

Out where I was, it wasn't really ice but just snow. It was slick on the hilly side roads, but the big route I was on most of the time was just a bit slushy. I am relieved to hear that this isn't typical, though. My FIL has lived here for almost 10 years and he said it's always crazy and chaotic when it snows, but he's also the type to exaggerate a little bit about these sorts of things. He's still convinced that the traffic throughout the entirety of NoVA is the absolute worst in the whole country by a long shot. It's not exactly fun to deal with, but I find it easier to drive around here and drive on 95 and the Beltway compared to northern NJ, the Garden State Parkway, Turnpike, etc.. I grew up in Jersey and really do think the drivers up there within 30-40 minutes of NYC are absolutely insane. :laugh:

Just heard the evening staff don't need to come in at all, so I'm making cinnamon rolls. Only legit need for emergency dairy and eggs, IMO.:banana:

I won't pretend like we're good drivers, but usually that level of insanity is reserved for more snow, not just 1"! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Flakes are coming down now. Nesting behavior fully underway: stuffed bell peppers, chili, turkey sausage all at the ready for eatin'. Pumpkin pie in the oven because why the heck not.

Reactions: 7 users
Dang it, now I want pie. I wonder if I have all the ingredients...

Oops ;)

I have way too much pumpkin puree from the holidays (not sure why we needed literally 4 29oz cans...) I made a bangin' pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting the other day, contemplating some pumpkin bread...it needs to go!

Flakes are coming down now. Nesting behavior fully underway: stuffed bell peppers, chili, turkey sausage all at the ready for eatin'. Pumpkin pie in the oven because why the heck not.

Stuffed peppers sound amazing.

I have macaroni salad, cider, and a bag of skittles. Dog on the sofa, fire in the fireplace, and a streaming box of entertainment. All good.

Reactions: 2 users
I just ate lunch but now I'm hungry again. :rage:

'well, I made chocolate chip cookies yesterday and I have four days off in a row. So that has to count for something. I'm thinking sushi tonight. I may have ordered a 1500 box of legos this week, so...

Members don't see this ad :)
For once, and this only happens once in a great while, Michigan isn't involved in a major snowstorm. Doesn't mean I'm not going to stay the inside and bake all day (Including a healthy amount of studying).

Just drove from Charlottesville, VA to Washington, DC in the snow storm (120 miles). 95 is a **** show (not surprised), but 64 wasn't too bad. I just wish people would stay out of the left lane. There's no reason to go 20 in the left lane :rage:. And my driver's side wiper blade kept freezing. Super annoying. I have to be back in Michigan on Monday for derm. Don't think it's going to happen.

My boyfriend's roommate had to play rock paper scissors with a lady at the grocery store last night to decide who got the last tomato.

thought i'd chime in and say that i just finished walking the dog in short sleeves and a vest. florida winter is the BEST!

Our local grocery had a buy 2 get 3 free deal on shredded cheese, so I'm definitely in the "buying dairy" crowd, haha. I'm pretty sure they're worried about losing power.
HT had that sale last year, and i remember being so torn because i could feasibly see 1-3 bags of cheese, but wasnt sure what to do with 5 bags of cheese even though i do love me some cheese.

thought i'd chime in and say that i just finished walking the dog in short sleeves and a vest. florida winter is the BEST!

Still trying to convince the husband to move to florida.... things like this make me wanna try harder!!!

The sun came out in Louisiana today... It was a pretty day after the cold front blew through. Sorry y'all!

BF's boss has a snow removal business on the side, and BF told me last night he'd be working all weekend helping with the snow removal. Then tonight I was watching the weather report and they upped the predicted snow totals for our area. BF's truck is **** and I started to worry, so I texted him to be safe. He replied that he decided to get snowed in with his daughter because the little bit of money he gets from shoveling isn't worth dying for. I am SO relieved knowing he won't be out driving in this crap.

Reactions: 1 users
So far about 8-10". Not too bad, but more than I thought it would be overnight....
today we have high gusty winds, heavy snow, and "freezing fog" to look forward to.

Freezing fog gives the pilot in me the willies.

Last edited:
Actually now that the sun has come up and I can actually see the damage, looks like more than a foot....

12552664_991043954288160_6177100948592420728_n.jpg

12540831_991043984288157_3176345262631201550_n.jpg

I keep losing my puppy! It's way over her head and she LOVES it. Both the Icies are having a blast View attachment 199821
I'd post a snow pic of my dogs, but it would just be a picture of them sleeping in bed. The closest they are getting to the snow is looking out the window at a few crazy birds hopping around (or getting pushed out of the trees perhaps).

I'd post a snow pic of my dogs, but it would just be a picture of them sleeping in bed. The closest they are getting to the snow is looking out the window at a few crazy birds hopping around (or getting pushed out of the trees perhaps).
Where do they go potty?! I'm currently procrastinating on shoveling a path for my dogs to go out.

Yeah I live in Washington DC and I can't even open my door. Its supposed to double in amount tonight.....thank god I went to Safeway last night haha
current forecast here says 12-18" . I can verify we have already hit 18".

I don't know about that double by tonight.
Current aviation forecast is for heavy snow now. moderate snow starting around 4pm. Light snow to begin around 6pm and snow to end around 11pm.
I would assume it will end earlier for you guys down there.

I will go check.

Dulles calling for heavy snow till 7pm. Then light snow until 1am.
Somehow you don't get any moderate snow, and it does last longer.

Oh well. Enjoy.

looks like you got more than us. Lucky you.

You have a son?
I'm a little south west of philly, right in the middle of where the heaviest snow is expected. My neighbors are hosting a blizzard happy hour tonight, which sounds fun, but we might not be able to walk across the street!

And yes, my son just turned 18 last Tuesday!

Reactions: 2 users
Here's a picture of mine in the great blizzard of last winter (we missed the blizzard this winter while on vacation)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
I wonder if @that redhead lost power. She hasn't been on since yesterday. I mean, what could she possibly be doing today?
Sleeping late?
getting lucky?
Playing with pets?

Eventually she has to check in on SDN, right?

I wonder if @that redhead lost power. She hasn't been on since yesterday. I mean, what could she possibly be doing today?
Sleeping late?
getting lucky?
Playing with pets?

Eventually she has to check in on SDN, right?

I'm alive, power still intact :) No official measurement at my place yet but news says like 24" and it's still going strong. Trying to put in a couple photos but they're having trouble loading...stay tuned.