Tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oxytocin?
Yes!!! No one ever recognizes it. It represents the human animal bond, and aside from helping to induce labor, and being involved in the stress response, it is released in both the human and his/her dog when petting their dog. This is why humans have such strong bonds with their dogs! Cool stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes!!! No one ever recognizes it. It represents the human animal bond, and aside from helping to induce labor, and being involved in the stress response, it is released in both the human and his/her dog when petting their dog. This is why humans have such strong bonds with their dogs! Cool stuff.
10 points for Slytherin!

Seriously cool tattoo!

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404615123.138239.jpg

All wrapped up but finally presentable!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Bumping for opinions on foot tattoos. If you have one did it hurt a lot? I'm going in tomorrow to get one and I'm trying to prepare myself for how bad it will be.

Bumping for opinions on foot tattoos. If you have one did it hurt a lot? I'm going in tomorrow to get one and I'm trying to prepare myself for how bad it will be.
Not to freak you out, but mine were incredibly painful (I have a photo of them in this thread somewhere). I have an extremely high pain tolerance but I still thought it sucked big time, way worse than tattoos anywhere else. I also got both mine (one on each foot) in one session though which didn't help. If it's small and you're only getting one you'll be completely fine, just breathe through it and focus. If it's going to be a long session take some gatorade and candy with you to keep your energy up! The pain will be worth it though, trust me! I love having foot tattoos, you can cover them up or show them off really easily and the lines always look so crisp because there's no fat or muscle underneath.

Not to freak you out, but mine were incredibly painful (I have a photo of them in this thread somewhere). I have an extremely high pain tolerance but I still thought it sucked big time, way worse than tattoos anywhere else. I also got both mine (one on each foot) in one session though which didn't help. If it's small and you're only getting one you'll be completely fine, just breathe through it and focus. If it's going to be a long session take some gatorade and candy with you to keep your energy up! The pain will be worth it though, trust me! I love having foot tattoos, you can cover them up or show them off really easily and the lines always look so crisp because there's no fat or muscle underneath.

Thanks! Your tattoos are really cute. My friend got hers on her foot recently and said it was completely awful. I might just move it. I'm not married to the idea of a foot tattoo. I'm planning on getting a hedgehog (specifically from the hedgehog in the fog) and was going to have it cover the whole top of my foot.

I honestly didn't think my tattoos on my feet hurt as bad as they say. I have basically 3 separate tattoos on my feet (though it is really two tattoos total) and it was just fine. I even had one of them touched up. My weakness is sitting in the chair for a few hours getting to the point of my leg going numb and twitching so much that I don't want my artist to continue and mess anything up...

I should add that my one foot was really sucky because it has some really sensitive scar tissue on it, which is likely why I remember it being so painful. The other foot was much easier going. I wouldn't move it just for the sake that it is going to hurt, it can't be any more painful than vet school ;). Plus, you might be one of the lucky ones like @Rainheart and have an easier go of it than I did!

If you're worried about how badly a location will hurt, some tattoo artists will draw a short test line at that location without putting any ink on the needle. It gives you an idea what that area will feel like and then you can decide whether to get a tattoo at that spot or move it.

I ended up getting it on my shoulder blade. Hedgehogs are the reason I got interested in veterinary medicine so now I have this guy as a reminder. It's the hedgehog from 'The hedgehog in the fog' which is a cute little Russian animated short.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1406926862.830999.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would like to get my third tattoo - horseshoes - but I'm not sure where. I have a tattoo on each hip currently.

Posted using SDN Mobile

This may be in the thread already, but I honestly haven't read the whole thing. Anyone have a completely white ink tattoo? Good experience? Bad experience? I've asked around none of the main places around me will do them because they can't guarantee their quality. Apparently there's a lot of room for things to go wrong with all white ink. I have seen some beautiful ones online though. I love how subtle they are.

This may be in the thread already, but I honestly haven't read the whole thing. Anyone have a completely white ink tattoo? Good experience? Bad experience? I've asked around none of the main places around me will do them because they can't guarantee their quality. Apparently there's a lot of room for things to go wrong with all white ink. I have seen some beautiful ones online though. I love how subtle they are.

Hi Lailanni,

I have three tattoos. One on my left bicep (A phrase in Japanese Kanji), and two large tats, one covering each of my shins. The tat on my right shin is a dark black outline, but largely colored with white ink. It is a Japanese Dragon, and I wanted it to have an ethereal, ancient, ghostly appearance. There are some highlights of lighter color in it as well (light gold horns, light blue smoke, pink underbelly), but the tat is largely white. I like it- it was what I wanted. The white has lightened considerably since the tat was finished nearly three years ago. When people see the pair of tats together (the tat on the right is of a bright, red/orange Koi fish), folks often ask if the dragon is 'finished.' I then need to explain the white ink. Ask an artist you trust about the quality of the white ink, and what it will look like as time progresses.

As for tats generally- I love mine, took a long time deciding where I wanted them, what I wanted them to look like, etc. I took forever choosing an artist. They cost a small fortune to do them right, but I have no regrets at all. I plan on getting another large piece when I finish veterinary school- all of the laboratory animals, to commemorate my entrance into my chosen field of specialty. That's a long way away, though. You can see my tats below. I've already posted them on this thread, but instead of requiring you to scroll back, I've just re-posted the photos.

Attachments

• Dragon tattoo image.jpg
    Dragon tattoo image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Koi fish tattoo image.jpg
    Koi fish tattoo image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone on here creative or artsy? I have an idea of what I want for my next tattoo but I'm not sure how to incorporate everything into one, decent looking tat.

Is anyone on here creative or artsy? I have an idea of what I want for my next tattoo but I'm not sure how to incorporate everything into one, decent looking tat.
You can usually go to the shop and ask if they can draw something up for you if you have an idea of what you want :)

Reactions: 1 users
You can usually go to the shop and ask if they can draw something up for you if you have an idea of what you want :)
Yeah I'm definitely going to do that. What I want to do is SOMEHOW incorporate Toothless, Smaug, and the GoT dragons into one tattoo. Not necessarily a "combo" dragon, but something that represents each of them. @DVMDream you'll probably like this tattoo idea :)
Any thoughts?

Reactions: 4 users
Thinking about getting a tattoo again. I had a slight breakdown Last Thursday when I was driving in early morning to a lab meeting and saw a woman out in her garden that reminded me of my Grandma. Her birthday is July 14 so every July is hard for me. She's been gone for over 10 years, but she was such a huge part of who I am today. There seems to be an abundance of people who have lost theirs this month as well, so I am feeling extra emotional.

One of my first memories of her was showing me that you can eat Nasturtiums, as she always had them growing by her house and put them in salads. I think I want to get a cool artistic rendition of a vine with some leaves and flowers. Not sure where I want it just yet, but that has moved up as something to start saving my monies for. Maybe a self birthday present next year.

09d4258321aab0b5922584ae8e1fb16c.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I love tattoos! Unfortunately, I haven't my own photo but I have awesome tiny bird like #36 from here "inkprofy,com/bird-tattoos" but I didn't do any text under the art, only a bird with a flower. I did the tattoo last year and very happy that did it!