The Official 07/06/2012 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually on SDN mobile and have been meaning to open this thread for a while. I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I'm somewhere towards the traditional side of the non-trad. I'm only 4 years out of undergrad, and am only a year older than the average med school matriculant-but I am a career changer who is married and completing my final prereq's post bacc (all finished in May).

I am using a hybrid of a few different MCAT studying styles posted here-but at the core it's most similar to SN2ed and the standard TBR schedule.

I am using TBR for Chem, O.Chem, and Physics (2012 edition). I am using TPRH and EK for Bio.

I don't really stick to the 1 chapter a day set up of SN2ed, I customized each chapter based on what my strengths and weaknesses were and how long ago I learned the topics in undergrad.

I almost always spend 2 days on Bio (this is the subject with the most "Content Gaps" for me) Oftentimes I can double up Ochem with Physics. Physics usually goes very fast, and O.Chem I find relatively easy compared to class (It helps that I just finished O.Chem 1, and am currently in O.Chem 2)

I'm also working part time and still in Ochem 2 and Physics 2, so studying full time is not an option until after May 4th, and even then I still have work. That is why I started at 4 months instead of 3, to try to get ahead since I know I will lose days over time.

I don't really do the 1/3's method in physics or chem. The books come with tests split into 3 phases and I prefer to just use it that way. After reading the chapter I do the untimed phase, a week later the timed phase, and am saving the final phase for review. I am not doing much TBR Bio in the early chapters-too much skipping around and testing obscure information I haven't reviewed yet. I know it's important to develop critical thinking, but I want to make sure I have the foundations down first. I stick to the EK in class and the TPRH science workbook. I will probably spend some time on TBR after I'm done with content review.

Also I use Chad's Videos like crazy, I watch them on fast forward and they really help give a quick overview. I wish there was a similar solution for Bio.

Well that's the rundown. Hopefully there are some people on here taking the same day. I know I can definitely use the motivation at times. My goal is to score >or=30.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am only applying DO as of now as well. Possibly 1 MD school depending on my MCAT score (may submit to one school I am moderately interested in then add the school I really want to go to if my MCAT score is good enough to have a shot).

Guys don't get discouraged with EK 101 verbal. My first two tests were a 6 and 7 respectively and now I have am scoring 11 - 15. Verbal is HARD and if you are a fast reader my strategy is to map the passage in your mind and use it to go back to re-read one/two sentences that pertain to the question. It has worked wonders for me. I have also been doing scattered passages from TPRH Verbal Workbook everyday.

It sounds like if we put my verbal together with your guys sciences we would be kicking a** haha. I am struggling in the sciences and I think it is a symptom of being 4.5 years removed from my Gen Bio, Chem and Physics classes. I am literally re-teaching myself almost everything.

I am pretty much only applying to east coast DO schools - what MCAT score should I really be aiming for (3.4/3.4 GPA and lots of ECs with a slew of posters/pubs/talks)?

Took two AAMC's 3 and 4 and scored 35 and 30 BUT with 10 BS 15 VR 10 BS and 8 PS 14 VR 8 BS and the science scores were almost solely the product of very lucky guesses. Fml.

I will definitely be trying this. My eyes fly over the passages because I'm worried about time, and then I just end up going back to read it again. Thanks!:thumbup:

Oh boy count me in for 7/6. How many hours are people putting into studying? To be honest, I just started on the 14th, so I don't have that much time.

Oh boy count me in for 7/6. How many hours are people putting into studying? To be honest, I just started on the 14th, so I don't have that much time.

I officially started on Monday. 5-8 hours a day 8 being average. Leave around 1:00 p.m to the library and study till 9 or so.

right now i'm currently writing up notes for each section, I'ma start on EK physics, and before the end of this week, all my notes will be written. Starting next week it's all review from there. I believe starting next week it gives everyone around 46 days (approx 1 month and 2 weeks) to do content review some practice problems to understand concept more, and for the first few weeks that's exactly what I'ma do, and then closer it gets I'ma do a lot of practice tests

Members don't see this ad :)

I've been studying lightly (3-5 hours/day) but am now changing it up to 6-8 average, 10 on days I really panic.

It's really a matter of the quality of review/studying you do, rather than the time spent on it. That being said, having both is ideal but exhausting.

I am only applying DO as of now as well. Possibly 1 MD school depending on my MCAT score (may submit to one school I am moderately interested in then add the school I really want to go to if my MCAT score is good enough to have a shot).

Guys don't get discouraged with EK 101 verbal. My first two tests were a 6 and 7 respectively and now I have am scoring 11 - 15. Verbal is HARD and if you are a fast reader my strategy is to map the passage in your mind and use it to go back to re-read one/two sentences that pertain to the question. It has worked wonders for me. I have also been doing scattered passages from TPRH Verbal Workbook everyday.

It sounds like if we put my verbal together with your guys sciences we would be kicking a** haha. I am struggling in the sciences and I think it is a symptom of being 4.5 years removed from my Gen Bio, Chem and Physics classes. I am literally re-teaching myself almost everything.

I am pretty much only applying to east coast DO schools - what MCAT score should I really be aiming for (3.4/3.4 GPA and lots of ECs with a slew of posters/pubs/talks)?

Took two AAMC's 3 and 4 and scored 35 and 30 BUT with 10 BS 15 VR 10 BS and 8 PS 14 VR 8 BS and the science scores were almost solely the product of very lucky guesses. Fml.
Wow...15 and 14 on verbal !!! If you can replicate that score on the real stuff, you are on your way to get 35+...IMO The science section is arguably the easiest part to improve on especially BS. I am gonna use your strategy to see if I can up my game in VR.

Wow...15 and 14 on verbal !!! If you can replicate that score on the real stuff, you are on your way to get 35+...IMO The science section is arguably the easiest part to improve on especially BS. I am gonna use your strategy to see if I can up my game in VR.

Thanks. I felt amazing about those verbal scores until I realized how f'ed I feel for the sciences... Right now there just is not enough time in the day to do the kind of studying I feel like I need to be doing, so I have resolved to just do my best and pray that I can get into one of the schools I am applying to.

If you are interested in any more of my verbal strategy, PM me.

I guess I will go back to getting slaughtered by TBR Orgo passages now... :oops:

Wow when did you take it and what are you going to do differently? A 3 is equivalent to randomly guessing I would think?

I wouldn't necessarily say that. My first two EK exams I didn't time it and took my time i ended up getting a 3 for the first one, and then a 4 on the second one. I wasn't guessing at all. But i did choose some lame azz answers I admit, I think it's because i was so boggled down by the passage, i was losing the focus and kept thinking they are tricking me etc.

I'ma do an EK verbal right now, I'll update yall

Last edited:
Damn I just got an overall 6 on EK verbal test 3....... FML one more question right I woulda had a 7 though...
33/60 questions right, and I thought I was doing better.

So far in order
EK 1: 3
EK 2: 4
EK 3: 6

so getting better I guess. Fuhhhh I was hoping to rely on verbal if I didn't do well on science since verbal is more of a know it or don't thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn I just got an overall 6 on EK verbal test 3....... FML one more question right I woulda had a 7 though...
33/60 questions right, and I thought I was doing better.

So far in order
EK 1: 3
EK 2: 4
EK 3: 6

so getting better I guess. Fuhhhh I was hoping to rely on verbal if I didn't do well on science since verbal is more of a know it or don't thing
These tests have 40 questions...Where do you get that 60?

I just registered to retake on 7/6. Got a 29 on my recent MCAT and I know I can do better. Good luck guys.

To all you first-time test takers, do not take your VR scores on the practice AAMCs for granted. This is why I am retaking. I was getting 11s on all my practice AAMC verbal sections so I figured I didn't need to study verbal. I was wrong. Real thing is much harder. Ended up with an 8.

I just registered to retake on 7/6. Got a 29 on my recent MCAT and I know I can do better. Good luck guys.

To all you first-time test takers, do not take your VR scores on the practice AAMCs for granted. This is why I am retaking. I was getting 11s on all my practice AAMC verbal sections so I figured I didn't need to study verbal. I was wrong. Real thing is much harder. Ended up with an 8.

did you ever do EK verbal and if so what did you think of them?

I did not use any study materials for verbal for my first test, that was the problem. For my retake I plan on doing Berkeley and EK verbal.

Wow when did you take it and what are you going to do differently? A 3 is equivalent to randomly guessing I would think?

I took the test in April,13. I didnt guess but I got lost during the exam :oops: Exam has started with 3 hours delay and I was anxious. Of course none is excuse for it but I agree that verbal curve is crazy. I'm just planning to practice more :xf:

You are doing very good. My average in EK bio 1001 is a 10+. TPRH bio is probably 65%+, which might translate to an 8 . TBR gen chem is about 10...TBR physics is an 8....EK VR is 6...But again I am applying to DO only...All I need is 27+ to have a shot.

Thanks! I feel good about Chemistry and Physics, but Bio scares me. Even though I have been getting 9's, there are a lot of questions I just eliminate to 2 and guess right on. I would hate to go in there test day and break 10 in Physical sciences and Verbal and to do like a 7 on Bio. Also, sometimes with physics timing can be a killer. That's why I'm a little concerned. usually I get around a 12 or 13, but my math isn't very fast. A few times I had a passage where I just got caught up on the calculations and ended up getting the answers right but burning like 11-12 minutes.

Another major problem is huge discrepancy between my averages when I take the practice test same day and when I come back a week later, sometimes 2 points difference. I need to make sure things stick for longer periods of time.

I gave advice on VR earlier. My philosophy, read the passage slowly and analytically and read the questions slowly and carefully. After that answer the questions quickly and definitively without second guessing and afterthought. Many people on these forums recommend reading fast to have more time to answer, and I guess that works for many people. I feel I am able to really get the questions better by reading more analytically and taking less time to psyche myself out on quesitons.

Last edited:
For my study schedule, I started back in late march at about 4 hours a day for 5 days a week, then took 2 weeks off for finals, and am now trying to put in 8-10 hours a day so I can start FLs first week of June. I am on chapter 6 in most BR books, chapter 5 in EK Bio. I am about a week behind of my plan to start FLs week 1 in June, so I'm putting in a little bit of extra time whenever possible.

Thanks! I feel good about Chemistry and Physics, but Bio scares me. Even though I have been getting 9's, there are a lot of questions I just eliminate to 2 and guess right on. I would hate to go in there taste day and break 10 in Physical sciences and Verbal and to do like a 7 on Bio. Also, sometimes with physics timing can be a killer. That's why I'm a little concerned. usually I get around a 12 or 13, but my math isn't very fast. A few times I had a passage where I just got caught up on the calculations and ended up getting the answers right but burning like 11-12 minutes.

Another major problem is huge discrepancy between my averages when I take the practice test same day and when I come back a week later, sometimes 2 points difference. I need to make sure things stick for longer periods of time.

I gave advice on VR earlier. My philosophy, read the passage slowly and analytically and read the questions slowly and carefully. After that answer the questions quickly and definitively without second guessing and afterthought. Many people on these forums recommend reading fast to have more time to answer, and I guess that works for many people. I feel I am able to really get the questions better by reading more analytically and taking less time to psyche myself out on quesitons.
Did you go back looking through the passage? Because on the EK verbal passages it always seems like you have to go back for one question or a few and scan around just to double check.

For my study schedule, I started back in late march at about 4 hours a day for 5 days a week, then took 2 weeks off for finals, and am now trying to put in 8-10 hours a day so I can start FLs first week of June. I am on chapter 6 in most BR books, chapter 5 in EK Bio. I am about a week behind of my plan to start FLs week 1 in June, so I'm putting in a little bit of extra time whenever possible.
Do you feel as if your retaining the concepts/questions etc? I tend to understand the concepts etc, but the little EK 30 min exams or questions, I just don't know where to start to even answer it.. esp with physics and some chem problems. Bio i tend to feel fine it's more like straight memorizing facts and knowing what everything does.

hi guys!:):) i'm registered for the 7/6 as well! just started studying last week -- i'm putting in 5-8 hour days, after 8 hours i hit a ceiling and my brain starts frying.

torshi -- i use EK too, and i feel the exact same way. i'll read and then take the mini quizzes and chapter exams and feel completely lost. it's only my first week so i'll be more worried if i still feel that way in a few weeks.

i'm taking one AAMC test every week, i have my first one tomorrow so we'll see how that goes...:scared:

is anyone using BR for physics or chem? i'm supplementing EK physics with PR physics. was looking for a good chem supplement too...

hi guys!:):) i'm registered for the 7/6 as well! just started studying last week -- i'm putting in 5-8 hour days, after 8 hours i hit a ceiling and my brain starts frying.

torshi -- i use EK too, and i feel the exact same way. i'll read and then take the mini quizzes and chapter exams and feel completely lost. it's only my first week so i'll be more worried if i still feel that way in a few weeks.

i'm taking one AAMC test every week, i have my first one tomorrow so we'll see how that goes...:scared:

is anyone using BR for physics or chem? i'm supplementing EK physics with PR physics. was looking for a good chem supplement too...

Your going to take an AAMC without content review? I'm waiting officially sometime this coming week I'll do my first AAMC after I feel comfortable with the content. The only things I do is EK 30 min exams, and EK verbal 101.

I'm doing my EK verbal test 4 tomorrow, finishing up physic notes, but need to understand it more conceptually

EK physics has me confused as fuhh... I feel alright with lecture 1/6/7, but honestly don't feel it's enough because if I were to do some TBR passages i'd most likely get merked!

EK chem tends to be iffy, but feel alright. The EK 30 min exams i scored 8, 8, 10, 12 on some of them. Still need to understand thermodynamics etc a little more.

EK bio, I haven't done any EK 30 min exams, I'm just reviewing my notes for Bio.

After all this I'll take AAMC hopefully this coming week on Saturday or something idk, and from there fix/brush up on skills

Also i think supplementing TBR and EK is good enough. I just can't for the life of me read through TBR books, the pages are bland and dull, I just don't have the motivation to read their books, EK tends to be reader friendly.

But I do think i'm missing a lot of info in regards to calculation when doing EK, I think TBR provides info on calculating problems etc, EK does a poor job, and I believe moving from EK to TBR I'd most likely get raped in all the passages, so idk what to do

eek 7/6 is doomsday for me as well
originally I had signed up for may 12th...but thinking about it now
the idea that was going to be ready by then is :laugh: what was I thinking...
I took a TPR class that wrapped up the beginning of April it was ..eh. &now I'm just jumping on passages and freestanding ?'s.
no time to review my strategy has been that if I run into any question(s) I don't understand I go back directly to that section...which for physics seems to be EVERYTHING. But it narrows done what I know and don't know. I haven't taken a practice test as of recent but
on my 2 practice tests I've done so far the avg is 7 bio 6 phy. 10 ver --when I do I'm confident the bio score will be higher but that physical sciences boy....

I'm also taking a 6wk summer class..I wish I didn't have to because it makes studying even tougher but 1. need it to graduate and 2. not offered in the fall :uhno:
in short..i'm in a for a rough ride until 7/6 any tips to help with physics???

eek 7/6 is doomsday for me as well
originally I had signed up for may 12th...but thinking about it now
the idea that was going to be ready by then is :laugh: what was I thinking...
I took a TPR class that wrapped up the beginning of April it was ..eh. &now I'm just jumping on passages and freestanding ?'s.
no time to review my strategy has been that if I run into any question(s) I don't understand I go back directly to that section...which for physics seems to be EVERYTHING. But it narrows done what I know and don't know. I haven't taken a practice test as of recent but
on my 2 practice tests I've done so far the avg is 7 bio 6 phy. 10 ver --when I do I'm confident the bio score will be higher but that physical sciences boy....

I'm also taking a 6wk summer class..I wish I didn't have to because it makes studying even tougher but 1. need it to graduate and 2. not offered in the fall :uhno:
in short..i'm in a for a rough ride until 7/6 any tips to help with physics???

Yea taking a class during studying can be difficult that's why i chose to TA instead, because I needed a major related elective. So i thought this would be a better option, not money wise though ;)
Keep it up, and hopefully you do well, physics is a foreign language to me, mainly physics 1 material - It always has been, and didn't help that i had a horrible professor for the first one. Chem has always interested me, but it is difficult as well. I thought Verbal was going to be my strength, it seems like it's my weakness sadly, bio not sure I'm just studying my notes for it.

good luck!

oh yeah! I forgot to ask--not to freak anyone out but since there's only ohh...i dont know...40something days until the test..what are you all currently doing & how many days/hours are you putting in?

TBR is killing my confidence, per usual. 7-9 range on the end of section passages. Gr.

I plan on doing a verbal every other day.
Verbal Tips even though I might not be worthy to give tips, but my scores have increased significantly in the span of a few days..

1.) Best answer is the one that pertains to the passage and authors point of view. there are some legitimate sounding answers, keep it cool and circle the one that makes more sense in regards to the passage

2.) I read the passage slowly, not fast, time is not an issue. Time becomes an issue when you speed read, and didn't understand it the first time in which you have to go back and look for answers.

3.) underline key things, this helped significantly. I didn't underline or anything and just speed read the first two times i took the verbal test and resulted in a garbage score

4.) It's alright to go back and look for area that pertains to question, that's why underline can be helpful at first. most of the time with verbal, the answers lie in the passage.

5.) A lot of questions where you have to infer or assume, this is based off the authors point of view and overall passage. Read it and think from the authors POV. This can help by not having to go back.

oh yeah! I forgot to ask--not to freak anyone out but since there's only ohh...i dont know...40something days until the test..what are you all currently doing & how many days/hours are you putting in?

heyyy! i'm trying to do one AAMC test a week until 7/6. definitely best verbal practice. i've been reading content to try to get a general idea of the idea behind chemistry/physics principles but also furiously cranking out practice problems. kind of like math, the best practice is problems.

i'm putting in 5-8 hours a day, everyday, no breaks. test days i just do the test and make notes of weaknesses. hope this helps :)

heyyy! i'm trying to do one AAMC test a week until 7/6. definitely best verbal practice. i've been reading content to try to get a general idea of the idea behind chemistry/physics principles but also furiously cranking out practice problems. kind of like math, the best practice is problems.

i'm putting in 5-8 hours a day, everyday, no breaks. test days i just do the test and make notes of weaknesses. hope this helps :)

Have you started AAMC already? Keep us posted!

Your going to take an AAMC without content review? I'm waiting officially sometime this coming week I'll do my first AAMC after I feel comfortable with the content. The only things I do is EK 30 min exams, and EK verbal 101.

I'm doing my EK verbal test 4 tomorrow, finishing up physic notes, but need to understand it more conceptually

EK physics has me confused as fuhh... I feel alright with lecture 1/6/7, but honestly don't feel it's enough because if I were to do some TBR passages i'd most likely get merked!

EK chem tends to be iffy, but feel alright. The EK 30 min exams i scored 8, 8, 10, 12 on some of them. Still need to understand thermodynamics etc a little more.

EK bio, I haven't done any EK 30 min exams, I'm just reviewing my notes for Bio.

After all this I'll take AAMC hopefully this coming week on Saturday or something idk, and from there fix/brush up on skills

yeah, i agree. ek physics is really broad which is okay if you just need a brief brush up, but very misleading once you get to the real deal. that's why i like the princeton review physics supplement. i've never tried TBR practices and definitely cant deal with bland presentation of a complex subject.

ek chem is alright, but they completely leave out stoichiometry and electrochemistry. i'm definitely going to need to find supplement materials for these things.

good luck saturday!! :)

Have you started AAMC already? Keep us posted!

yes just took test 3! it's older and is the most unlike all of the other tests (in the opinion of other SDN'ers -- who also claim it's the 'easiest') so i used it as a jumping off point so that my confidence wasn't totally destroyed ;)

with 3 days of studying...

Composite: 25
Physical: 7
VR: 10
Biology:8

i don't think at this point in my studying that score would be reflected in an updated test, but it's a start!

yes just took test 3! it's older and is the most unlike all of the other tests (in the opinion of other SDN'ers -- who also claim it's the 'easiest') so i used it as a jumping off point so that my confidence wasn't totally destroyed ;)

i don't think at this point in my studying that score would be reflected in an updated test, but it's a start!

That's def a good start! Keep it up bro.

Also the EK electrochemistry i thought was pretty sufficient, I scored a 10 on the EK 30 min exam in the back. But I did finish Gen Chem 2 this spring so that might help as well, Acids and bases is my strong point, scored a 12 for that.

Stochiometry they left out big time... i might do the TBR stochio, it seems good

Also, what did you think of AAMC 3 regarding material needed in order to do well? I know it's the outdated ones, and the newer AAMCs are better predictors.

Did any of you learn this material in your core science courses? I am working on the practice exams and they seem advance. I don't recall learning these complex issues in class. This entrance exam is well beyond the expectations of law school admission. Confused!:oops:

Did any of you learn this material in your core science courses? I am working on the practice exams and they seem advance. I don't recall learning these complex issues in class. This entrance exam is well beyond the expectations of law school admission. Confused!:oops:

hey! yeah, i did and if you took the core classes you did too ;) the mcat prides itself on only having to have a 'basic' science knowledge. i used to think the same thing though, especially in regards to diagrams in passages (i sat for the MCAT two years ago when the stuff was still fresh in my head from undergrad but did NOT submit my score) in the physical sciences question.

yeah, very different from the LSAT. i wish all you needed for this test was logistical reasoning!