The Official April 24, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopelessDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else on here taking it on the 24th? I'm going to start studying later this week. What is everyone else's study plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
okay, you kinda lost me there. Ive read it several times now, and its still not making sense to me.
Starting at the beginning, when we are talking Diploid and Haploid, its ONLY pertains to Meiosis right? I dont ever remember learning about changes to the ploidy number in mitosis. Also, I doubt I've ever heard about S phases for germ cells, and thats kinda throwing me off here, so I also think thats why I'm just not getting it.

Number of centromere = number of chromosomes.
You only duplicate to sister chromatids. but still have the same number of chromosomes.

Okay, I got it. It was just a looking at it from a different perspective, so it wasnt adding up.

Thanks akmcat and SynapticDoctah

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a good summary I found of Meiosis. Please confirm the bold! Thank you

Lets say we are looking at a human germ cell going through meiosis. This means that we start out with 46 Chromatids, or 2 sets comprising of 23.

During interphase G1, the chromosomes have NOT duplicated, so you still have 46 Chromatids in the cell.

During interphase S, the chromosomes duplicate, so you double the number of chromosomes in G1. After the duplication of a chromosome, it consists of 2 sister chromatids. The sister chromatids have exactly the same genetic material as each other. In other words, there are 46 CHROMOSOMES. Can someone confirm whether this means 92 individual chromatids that are paired up with their duplicates? Still Diploid.

During Prophase 1, the sister chromatids condense more. At this point in time, there are still 46 SISTER CHROMATIDS.

During metaphase I, there are still 46 sister chromatids convened at the metaphase plate.

During anaphase I, there are still 46 sister chromatids. HOWEVER, at each POLE of the cell, there are 23 SISTER CHROMATIDS.

During prophase II, since the cells have already divided, and I just told you that there are 23 sister chromatids at each pole during anaphase, then there are 23 sister chromatids in each cell (there are now 2 cells) during prophase II.

During Telophase II, there are 4 cells arise, each cell having 23 CHROMOSOMES (chromosomes are 1/2 of a sister chromatid, or 1 sister chromatid).

to get the number of chromosomes in each part, just muliply the number of sister chromatids by 2 whenever possible. (that means that you wouldnt multiply anything by 2 during telophase II because they are already CHROMOSOMES).

But for Mitosis:

Can someone confirm that you start our with 46 chromatids, and you go through S phase making 92 chromatids (46 chromosomes, 46 centromeres).

Than you enter M phase and you line up the 46 chromosomes and split the 46 chromosomes into 46 chromatid strings per cell? Diploid the entire time.

This question has been driving me nuts since Bio 101.

Can someone please explain in a makeshift chart or something how many chromosomes (23/46), chromatids (using X or I), and diploid/haploid for a cell throughout its life cycle?
Like at G1, after S, during Mitosis (and for Meiosis).

Every source I looked at is only confusing me more.

Thanks in advance guys

Edit: Here's the question that's pissed me off btw
The amount of chromosomes is determined by the number of centromeres. The centromere number doesn't change in S phase, the amount of information (DNA) does (doubles) to get ready for the separation in mitosis. I hope this helped!

Also, I think anaphase is the only time where it'd ever be 4n. Im not sure though.

Has anyone done Kaplan 8? I just did and got another off score. The weird thing is that the scorning scale they provided doesn't match what the system said the score was. For instance my scaled score was a 10 for BS, but in the conversion table it says it should be a 13.

It looks like this test is being graded by the fl 10 scale. The PDF does say it was from 2007 so maybe it was updated and not published. Any ideas? The difference in my score would be 8 points if it goes by the scale not what the computer said.

Just a little stressful, maybe no more Kaplans for now. Can't stress!

Has anyone done Kaplan 8? I just did and got another off score. The weird thing is that the scorning scale they provided doesn't match what the system said the score was. For instance my scaled score was a 10 for BS, but in the conversion table it says it should be a 13.

It looks like this test is being graded by the fl 10 scale. The PDF does say it was from 2007 so maybe it was updated and not published. Any ideas? The difference in my score would be 8 points if it goes by the scale not what the computer said.

What do you mean by the scoring scale? Doesnt kaplan just spit out a score when your done based on their internal benchmarks which are usually inflated? Or are you using the AAMC scale to score yourself?

It's the PDF that has the scoring scale. It's not consistent with what the computer spit out for this test.

Lol I think you should just forget about Kaplan. IIRC your AAMC scores come out much better anyway and they are more similar to the real thing.

Edit: As for the mitosis/meiosis discussion above, just keep in mind that chromosomes make that "X" shape once S phase occurs in mitosis; that is still ONE chromosome. Once anaphase occurs and the sister chromatids split, each single "|" in the 2 new cells is still ONE chromosome, even though it is no longer in the X shape; it will return to the X shape after S phase again.

For meiosis, it starts out with 46 chromosomes in the X shape, and then these 46 pair up as tetrads, so there are 23 XX (tetrads); crossing over occurs in meiosis 1, and then the tetrad splits. Now there are 23 chromosomes in each cell in the X shape (meaning it is haploid); after meiosis 2 the cell divides again and now there are 23 "|" shaped chromosomes in each daughter cell (now they look like sister chromatids again, but there are only 23, so haploid). The thing to remember is that the tetrads form in meiosis and after that division there are only 23 chromosomes in each cell. While in mitosis, there is no tetrad formation/splitting; the DNA replicates and divides giving 46 copies to each cell.

The most helpful thing is to draw out the process yourself, and label each step and everything you know about it. Then fill in any gaps you have in your knowledge. This is the only way to solidify these multistep process in biology.

Last edited:
Hey guys for aamc #9 question about Al(OH)3

Al(OH)3 +NaOH=> Na[Al(OH)4]

How do you know Al(OH)3 is a Lewis acid; I was able to determine this based on elimination. However, I didn't quickly recognize it.

Hey guys for aamc #9 question about Al(OH)3

Al(OH)3 +NaOH=> Na[Al(OH)4]

How do you know Al(OH)3 is a Lewis acid; I was able to determine this based on elimination. However, I didn't quickly recognize it.
A bond is being formed between the Al complex and Na therefore Al is accepting an electron. Aluminum being a cation is a good electron acceptor.

A bond is being formed between the Al complex and Na therefore Al is accepting an electron. Aluminum being a cation is a good electron acceptor.

Its a bond between the OH and Al; I guess just recognizing the bond formation in should hint lewis acid.

I always get these questions :uhno: Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I think you should just forget about Kaplan. IIRC your AAMC scores come out much better anyway and they are more similar to the real thing.

Edit: As for the mitosis/meiosis discussion above, just keep in mind that chromosomes make that "X" shape once S phase occurs in mitosis; that is still ONE chromosome. Once anaphase occurs and the sister chromatids split, each single "|" in the 2 new cells is still ONE chromosome, even though it is no longer in the X shape; it will return to the X shape after S phase again.

For meiosis, it starts out with 46 chromosomes in the X shape, and then these 46 pair up as tetrads, so there are 23 XX (tetrads); crossing over occurs in meiosis 1, and then the tetrad splits. Now there are 23 chromosomes in each cell in the X shape (meaning it is haploid); after meiosis 2 the cell divides again and now there are 23 "|" shaped chromosomes in each daughter cell (now they look like sister chromatids again, but there are only 23, so haploid). The thing to remember is that the tetrads form in meiosis and after that division there are only 23 chromosomes in each cell. While in mitosis, there is no tetrad formation/splitting; the DNA replicates and divides giving 46 copies to each cell.

The most helpful thing is to draw out the process yourself, and label each step and everything you know about it. Then fill in any gaps you have in your knowledge. This is the only way to solidify these multistep process in biology.
Yeah I'm just really pissed that there is this 13-14 point chasm between my most recent scores. I guess it's better to be on top in the AAMCs but it makes me uneasy since the real test sounds harder.

I got a 28 on Kaplan 8, then 37 on 9 and 10. On Kaplan 7 I got a 38. Obviously 11 was stupid tough. Do you think the scale was off on Kaplan 8?

I got a 28 on Kaplan 8, then 37 on 9 and 10. On Kaplan 7 I got a 38. Obviously 11 was stupid tough. Do you think the scale was off on Kaplan 8?
I emailed Kaplan support for clarification and they said over the years the test has been tweaked so that the scales do not match that PDF. I think this is just super bogus because it has 12 thermo questions on PS, yet supposedly these tests are better because they're more representative. Is the MCAT going to have almost a quarter of the PS section be on thermo? I hope not! I think they haven't truly standardized everything and something is way off.

Yeah I'm glad someone else got a sub-30 score on Kaplan 8, but yeah I don't know what it is, but 8 and 11 have been awful, mainly with the way that verbal is scored in my opinion.

My fault, didn't mean for it to come across that way haha. I am happy with the composite. It is just frustrating to get that verbal score this late in the game.
You prolly just had a bad verbal day. Welcome to my life of getting 8 every time I take a FL lol

Reactions: 1 users

Well I definitely would take those 38's with a nice big grain of salt. Kaplan is insanely inflated. I got a 40 on Kaplan 6 and I am definitely no 40 material.

Use Kaplan to get better at hard material. Use AAMC to gauge your score.

Also, AAMC 10 seems to have a tougher scale for verbal. (1-2 point difference.)

Took AAMC 10 just now. Verbal was a huge *itch and I am usually good at verbal. Lowest verbal score yet : / I really hope 11 is not this tough on verbal because that was no fun, and these two tests are the best predictors.

Last edited:
I don't even know what to think of the AAMC scores as predictors of the actual exam. Maybe their scores will fluctuate around the real deal, but I doubt the difficulty will. Seems like all the recent tests are more like Kaplan level difficulty (obviously with a more lenient curve). I hope lol

I don't even know what to think of the AAMC scores as predictors of the actual exam. Maybe their scores will fluctuate around the real deal, but I doubt the difficulty will. Seems like all the recent tests are more like Kaplan level difficulty (obviously with a more lenient curve). I hope lol
The stats has been done on this in a thread somewhere. Most score their average aamc. Some go up or down 1 point. Few go up or down >3 points

The stats has been done on this in a thread somewhere. Most score their average aamc. Some go up or down 1 point. Few go up or down >3 points
Right that's what I'm hoping for. It's just so weird that I'm royally tanking on these Kaplan tests. Maybe I'll try a TPR or EK just to see.

Well I definitely would take those 38's with a nice big grain of salt. Kaplan is insanely inflated. I got a 40 on Kaplan 6 and I am definitely no 40 material.

Use Kaplan to get better at hard material. Use AAMC to gauge your score.

Took AAMC just now. Verbal was a huge *itch and I am usually good at verbal. Lowest verbal score yet : / I really hope 11 is not this tough on verbal because that was no fun, and these two tests are the best predictors.

I know. For aamc 8 there was this passage about nature: intelligence ( I took it today) I seriously had no idea what it was talking about. I got only one right on that passage and rushed through the last. Definitely impacted my score. This is why I hate verbal; it really depends on the test, your concentration and the type of passages they provide.

I know. For aamc 8 there was this passage about nature: intelligence ( I took it today) I seriously had no idea what it was talking about. I got only one right on that passage and rushed through the last. Definitely impacted my score. This is why I hate verbal; it really depends on the test, your concentration and the type of passages they provide.
100% agree. If they give more than 2 philosophy passages I might just pack up and go home.

Definitely, s well as how interested you are in what you're reading.

I'm taking AAMC 5 tomorrow, my last test, one week before the actual test! AAAAHHHHH :ninja: so close guys!

Long time lurker of this thread. So hey.

Around mid March I started taking the AAMC tests

I did them in the following order:

AAMC 4: 28 (9/9/10)
AAMC 3: 28 (9/10/9)
AAMC 5: 31 (8/11/12)
AAMC 7: 27 (11/6/10) <-- The library got very loud and distracting during VR that day

So after AAMC 7 I got scared and decided I didn't want to waste anymore AAMC tests on soley practice and figuring out my weaknesses so I purchased the Gold Standard tests hearing that they were hard and that the sections would really test your calculations and thinking. I substituted all VR of Gold Standard tests with Examkrackers VR 101 test.

GS 1: 26
GS2: 30
GS 3: 33

After doing these three tests I decided I didn't have enough time to complete the other tests and the rest of AAMC and have enough time for review so I switched back to AAMC today and took the test.

AAMC 8: 31 (11/9/11) <--- Had a downsyndrome kid next to me yelling the for the latter half of PS and most of VR. Hoping for better results in a more ideal test setting.

The GS really did help, and I still use their sections as a source of practice problems. Although my AAMC 8 score looks as if there's been no improvement I actually have had great improvement. Of the 12 I got wrong in each PS, and BS section, the large majority (6-7 per section) of incorrect answers came from silly mistakes as in I marked the incorrect answer or simply didn't pick up on one thing in the passage. As far as conceptual inconsistencies, VERY rarely do I encounter a problem I got wrong because I didn't know the concept at all.

Anyone have an last minute plans for their MCAT? I'm taking GS4 tomorrow followed by corrections and then AAMC 9 Friday, AAMC 10 Saturday, AAMC 11 Sunday. Usually days follow this format: Morning Test, Lunch break/relax and be stupid, ~1:30 to 11pm corrections and reading of material missed.

How are you guys doing this week? Any things in particular that you've been doing pre-judgement day?

Here's to eliminating the silly mistakes and hoping for a 33+ (Want a 12/10/12 SO BADLY) on the real deal!

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't done AAMC 10 and 11 yet ; but, doing some of the passages from the Official Guide to MCAT Biology section most reflects the recent MCAT. Good to look over in my opinion. :sorry:

I should have done these passages sooner= definitely not the best confidence booster at this point.

My biggest issue right now is with expectation setting. I'm hearing so many things about how it's not like the AAMCs, but then that people score within their AAMC range. Just what is it? Why is it so convoluted?

I have an older version of the AAMC guide book and it's pretty helpful I'd say, just more into the mind of the twisted test maker.

My biggest issue right now is with expectation setting. I'm hearing so many things about how it's not like the AAMCs, but then that people score within their AAMC range. Just what is it? Why is it so convoluted?

I have an older version of the AAMC guide book and it's pretty helpful I'd say, just more into the mind of the twisted test maker.

Personally, I think anyone can do better on the MCAT than on the AAMC tests if they go over everything they got wrong and use the AAMC tests to find the weaknesses and eliminate them. Use the AAMC test to gain perspective on topics tested and how they can be presented. I'm sure the MCAT is going to be full of passages that challenge you to find out what kind of a situation you're dealing with,as in, "oh this is a momentum problem in disguise" or "this is an equilibrium".

Knowing what you know and sticking to your guns and principles adamantly will definitely help when the MCAT attempts to shatter your base. Stick to your foundation and build upon it from there. Don't try to build from the top down.

I think being able to learn from the AAMC exams is far more valuable than the numerical score you get from them.

Btw, something I recently found helpful is that Examkrackers has a full video review the entire 5R and 6R test on youtube and it's fantastic to help keep calm and realize the ease at which some of these questions can be answered with basic knowledge. I often pause the video before the next passage, attempt the passage, and then walk through the explanations in the video. *caution* - do this after you have completed all the AAMC tests first as some of the questions are recycled on the AAMC tests and you don't want to get answers right simply because you were already exposed to the same exact passage. These videos are nice to just sit down on the couch and do light practice.

Good idea, I have one of those old tests and yeah, there are a ton of recycled questions there. You're right. It's basic science and critical thinking!

I know. I'm not sure. But doing some of these questions really threw me off. Esp. for organic chemistry. They had some really specific detail retrieval questions that I have never encountered on the AAMC exams.

I guess we will find out soon.

I know. I'm not sure. But doing some of these questions really threw me off. Esp. for organic chemistry. They had some really specific detail retrieval questions that I have never encountered on the AAMC exams.

I guess we will find out soon.

Im pretty excited actually

I am so angry I didn't hear about this official guide to the MCAT thing... It seems helpful and more representative of the real thing but now it seems to late in the game to order it. Doesn't it annoy you guys how our test next Thursday will likely be so different from these AAMC exams?

Personally, I think anyone can do better on the MCAT than on the AAMC tests if they go over everything they got wrong and use the AAMC tests to find the weaknesses and eliminate them. Use the AAMC test to gain perspective on topics tested and how they can be presented. I'm sure the MCAT is going to be full of passages that challenge you to find out what kind of a situation you're dealing with,as in, "oh this is a momentum problem in disguise" or "this is an equilibrium".

Knowing what you know and sticking to your guns and principles adamantly will definitely help when the MCAT attempts to shatter your base. Stick to your foundation and build upon it from there. Don't try to build from the top down.

I think being able to learn from the AAMC exams is far more valuable than the numerical score you get from them.

Btw, something I recently found helpful is that Examkrackers has a full video review the entire 5R and 6R test on youtube and it's fantastic to help keep calm and realize the ease at which some of these questions can be answered with basic knowledge. I often pause the video before the next passage, attempt the passage, and then walk through the explanations in the video. *caution* - do this after you have completed all the AAMC tests first as some of the questions are recycled on the AAMC tests and you don't want to get answers right simply because you were already exposed to the same exact passage. These videos are nice to just sit down on the couch and do light practice.

May I ask if you refer to the AAMC 5R and 6R, right?

How to get those video.....? through Examkrackers book/class/website? or go straight to YouTube and search?

Just wanted to say good luck to you all ! My test is more than a month away and I'm already freaking out so bad ! So I understand what you guys are going through. Wish you the best

Difference btw hydronium and hydrogen?

Hydronium is h3O+
Hydrogen is H+

In acid/base, when it's talking about hydronium , it's just H+ essentially and i can use them interchangably correct?

So for double slit experiments can we assume sindeta = deta (for the double slit equations) to solve any problems given ?