****The Official Harvard Dental Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I interviewed in December and was waitlisted, but Dr. Berg got back to me yesterday saying they're still reviewing applicants, which I assume means January interviewees. Hold onto your seats yo.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed in December and was waitlisted, but Dr. Berg got back to me yesterday saying they're still reviewing applicants, which I assume means January interviewees. Hold onto your seats yo.
Thanks for the response. This waiting game sucks...I just want to know what the outcome is even if it's a rejection

They aren't allowed to give out much info regarding waitlists and final interview date, so I'll tell you what I know from my personal interview.

Out of the 6 people from my interview, I know 1 person got accepted, 3 (including me) got waitlisted, and not sure how the other 2 did. Assuming this is the average stats for each interview group, I'm not having super high hopes about getting off the waitlist considering around 20 people have already deposited based on the facebook group.

But yeah, when I sent them an email with a list of questions, they just told me we don't give out this info for every single question that I asked. Not really sure why, just another mystery of life I suppose haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
They aren't allowed to give out much info regarding waitlists and final interview date, so I'll tell you what I know from my personal interview.

Out of the 6 people from my interview, I know 1 person got accepted, 3 (including me) got waitlisted, and not sure how the other 2 did. Assuming this is the average stats for each interview group, I'm not having super high hopes about getting off the waitlist considering around 20 people have already deposited based on the facebook group.

But yeah, when I sent them an email with a list of questions, they just told me we don't give out this info for every single question that I asked. Not really sure why, just another mystery of life I suppose haha.
Idk if this gives any hope, but I don't think there were 6 interviewees each interview day, I only had 3 (including me) on mine

Reactions: 1 user
Idk if this gives any hope, but I don't think there were 6 interviewees each interview day, I only had 3 (including me) on mine

That definitely helps. Thanks for sharing.

Believe it or not, one of the guys that gave my tour said that he was the only person at his interview!

for those of you who got accepted, when did you get your phone call? (with time zone please haha)

Tomorrow marks my 3-week mark as well and I haven't heard anything either. Since no one has posted anything, it isn't impossible that they haven't sent out the next round of acceptances (yay for double negatives). I interviewed on January 23rd and found out that there were roughly 7 spots left from my interviewer, so it is also possible that those accepted are not SDN users. With 20 already on the wait list and ~24 interviewing for the ~7 final spots, I'm guessing chances are slim, but I only read on here that they will let you know in 2-3 weeks. When I asked during the information session, I was told that we would receive word in February, and that was it.

Tomorrow marks my 3-week mark as well and I haven't heard anything either. Since no one has posted anything, it isn't impossible that they haven't sent out the next round of acceptances (yay for double negatives). I interviewed on January 23rd and found out that there were roughly 7 spots left from my interviewer, so it is also possible that those accepted are not SDN users. With 20 already on the wait list and ~24 interviewing for the ~7 final spots, I'm guessing chances are slim, but I only read on here that they will let you know in 2-3 weeks. When I asked during the information session, I was told that we would receive word in February, and that was it.

Thanks for the info, that's more information than I could ever get from my interviewers.

I think the only possibility now is if those who get an acceptance end up declining. And even then, the waitlist is unranked, so it's all about making adequate contact/random luck at that point.

At my interview in mid-Jan I was told that offers might go out a little later this round since they had some big dental conference at the end of January so the committee wouldn't be able to meet until later than usual. Anne Berg also said that a little less than half of the class was full at that point, but I'm not sure how much that has changed.

At my interview in mid-Jan I was told that offers might go out a little later this round since they had some big dental conference at the end of January so the committee wouldn't be able to meet until later than usual. Anne Berg also said that a little less than half of the class was full at that point, but I'm not sure how much that has changed.

Assuming this info is accurate and what @Shpoof333 said is accurate, seems a little odd that a little less than half of the class (so around 16-17) was full at mid-January and then at January 23rd, it was up to 28?

Assuming this info is accurate and what @Shpoof333 said is accurate, seems a little odd that a little less than half of the class (so around 16-17) was full at mid-January and then at January 23rd, it was up to 28?

Yeah it sounded a little low to me at the time but based on what she said it sounded like less than half of the class had committed and sent in deposits, but I think they were still waiting on some other accepted applicants to get back to them.

Yeah it sounded a little low to me at the time but based on what she said it sounded like less than half of the class had committed and sent in deposits, but I think they were still waiting on some other accepted applicants to get back to them.

28 it is.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
28...dang...i guess my chances are really low then. oh well, moving on!

Well to be fair, my faculty interviewer didn't say "7," but instead said "roughly 1/5," which I took to mean 7. However, to fill up so much in just a week is quite surprising. I would really prefer to think about the class being 1/2 full from Wazian2018's input.

What's taking so long? I'm going crazy over here.

I'm curious as to whether harvard has even rejected anyone post interview.

ok i officially give up waiting for harvard. i thought we would hear back in early february...but it's definitely mid feb now.

Last edited:
Rumors and hearsay is what it is, but a D1 said he thought final decisions were sent out this week. Don't ask what "final" means exactly, I heard this from someone else lol.

Maybe it's good to give up on waiting for a bit. When the surprise comes, you'll be in for a treat.

I received my acceptance call today. Maybe I am the first one, but I received it at 3:23 EST, which was 12:23 my time. I am so excited, and slightly daunted by this offer, and hopefully some of you received the good news today too!! I interviewed on 1/23 for those of you who are interested.

Reactions: 4 users
I received my acceptance call today. Maybe I am the first one, but I received it at 3:23 EST, which was 12:23 my time. I am so excited, and slightly daunted by this offer, and hopefully some of you received the good news today too!! I interviewed on 1/23 for those of you who are interested.
Congrats!! I did not receive a call so I'm assuming I didn't get in or got waitlisted. Finally, I can close this chapter and move on.

With such a small number of postulated open spots, it would be easy for hsdm to call everyone in one go. But maybe they called 4 today and will call 3 tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, you're in play until you're not.

They were having trouble getting together to discuss the applicants. Looks like they were able to make some headway with the wait list. I was told that there was still no decision on mine yet. All hope is not lost.

Got the call yesterday! I'm so excited to meet you all! For those still waiting, I interviewed the first week in February. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys. For those of you still wondering, I just called Anne Berg, and she said the class is currently full :(

I can't corroborate but the Facebook page is def looking pretty full. Has anyone who interviewed Jan/Feb received a waitlist (not high priority) or rejection? Still silence on my end!

i'm pretty sure there will be people who will turn down the offer. i also heard that there was weather related issues that caused meeting delays. so we should probably hear something soon. I keep checking my mailbox for my rejection letter so i can frame it. haha. don't worry, guys! keep the hope alive and things WILL work out.

Last edited:
I can't corroborate but the Facebook page is def looking pretty full. Has anyone who interviewed Jan/Feb received a waitlist (not high priority) or rejection? Still silence on my end!

I just got priority waitlisted. What's the difference between a high priority and non high priority waitlist? I mean its obviously defined in the term, but since there is not a straight numbering system, do they only deliberate b/t priority waitlist first?

Does anyone know how large the priority waitlist and regular waitlist is? AFAIK, they interview 120 for 35 spots. How many waitlist spots do they they establish? 10 each? 20? Just trying to get a feel for the probabilities.

I just got priority waitlisted. What's the difference between a high priority and non high priority waitlist? I mean its obviously defined in the term, but since there is not a straight numbering system, do they only deliberate b/t priority waitlist first?

Does anyone know how large the priority waitlist and regular waitlist is? AFAIK, they interview 120 for 35 spots. How many waitlist spots do they they establish? 10 each? 20? Just trying to get a feel for the probabilities.

Did it say “priority“, instead of “high priority”? Wondering if their waitlist system goes by 1) high-priority 2) priority 3) regular waitlist

I called in. I was told over the phone, so I'm not sure of the exact wording. It's hard to concentrate on every word when you get rejected. I was told that I should have gotten something in the mail already (I haven't).

I asked about the priority for the waitlists in an email, but no reply yet.

After seeing that most people in previous years got "high priority waitlisted" later in the cycle in Feb/March, I believe this high priority thing is just a way for them to attract more people onto the waitlist but isn't actually a different waitlist altogether. It makes sense because applicants they'd waitlist probably already have other plans made by Feb/March with scholarship offers etc, so the "high priority" description might just be an empty incentive.

If this is right, I really hope applicants in the future can see this and not have to stress over the lack of information.

I asked about the priority for the waitlists in an email, but no reply yet.

After seeing that most people in previous years got "high priority waitlisted" later in the cycle in Feb/March, I believe this high priority thing is just a way for them to attract more people onto the waitlist but isn't actually a different waitlist altogether. It makes sense because applicants they'd waitlist probably already have other plans made by Feb/March with scholarship offers etc, so the "high priority" description might just be an empty incentive.

If this is right, I really hope applicants in the future can see this and not have to stress over the lack of information.

I think they might really have this separate category, based on a couple of facts.

It says on the letter that High Priority Waiting List is "for immediate acceptance should a place become available," and that "only a select number of candidates are placed in this High Priority category."
Accordingly, the response form has "High Priority Waiting List Response Form" as its title.

Also, I personally know two February interviewees who got regular waitlisted last year.

But after all, this is just my two cents, perhaps my empty hope. :) aqz might be right.

p.s) I heard from Ms.Berg on my interview date that waitlist/rejection notifications are only, and will only be made by regular mails, but I received an e-mail. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the priority thing as well.

Last edited:
No doubt better to be on a high priority waitlist though, nothing to lose there!

In the end, I just hope we can figure it out so there's no confusion in future cycles. Of course, they could just change it all up after this cycle.

Little off topic, but I love how they don't have a numbered waitlist. You are a person with specific strengths. The class is so small you can really pick and choose different people and backgrounds to create a well rounded class. So if someone drops out and they really liked how they brought specific research passion to the class, Harvard can go and find a replacement instead of just taking #1 off the waitlist. Likewise, if they ended up with too many traditional 4.0 bio majors and 25 DAT, they could add some others with more life experience, etc.

Received an email for High Priority Waitlist today, interviewed in Jan

edit: sent in my response form to decline the priority waitlist spot on 3/14 - I know it's not an acceptance but I hope this helps someone else out!

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten a non "high priority" waiting list letter this year?

Got an acceptance call today off the high priority waitlist!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! But I thought you declined the wait list?

I did! Which is why the call was really unexpected and awkward haha.. apparently they didn't get my withdrawal form? I declined the spot, will be attending Penn. Best of luck to everyone else!

I did! Which is why the call was really unexpected and awkward haha.. apparently they didn't get my withdrawal form? I declined the spot, will be attending Penn. Best of luck to everyone else!
If nothing else, it's a pretty good ego boost. Still, good job on the acceptance. Not everyday you can reject Harvard.