The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait are we looking at the same "130" for CARS??

Haha ya, it's still good, but a few schools look exclusively at that. My GPA isn't great so a 131 - 132 (or equivalent to a 13-15 on the old exam) would have helped a ton in getting an interview, especially one of the Ontario schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lmao, there are so many amazing scores being posted here. Looks like 90% of the MCAT test takers don't post on student doctor network. You guys are making me feel bad about hoping for a 512-515!

C/P: 126 (67%)
CARS: 126 (70%)
Bio: 127 (77%)
P/S: 130 (97%)
Overall: 509 (80%)

I need some advice from you experts. Is this good enough to go ahead and apply to MD schools? I'm not looking to get into Harvard mind you.

Dang, congrats on these great scores everyone! What do all of you smart people think of these stats for low/mid tier MD programs? I don't have a good feeling about my CARS section...

MCAT overall... 509/80%
C/P... 128/87%
CARS... 124/44%
Bio... 130/97%
P/S... 127/75%

I have a 3.96 cGPA and 3.95 sGPA from a state school. Over a year in an NIH funded research lab and pretty solid volunteer/leadership roles (both medical and non-medical). I'm also 19 years old now and receiving a B.S. after 3 years, although I made sure not to highlight this in any of my essays because I know young applicants are critiqued harshly by some programs.

I wish my sub scores were this even! Nice job! I'm curious how people respond to this question a well...

Edit: Oops, I meant to tag StrangeloveMD in this, I'm a rookie here

I need some advice from you experts. Is this good enough to go ahead and apply to MD schools? I'm not looking to get into Harvard mind you.
Absolutely. Well, assuming all your other stuff is strong as well. But yes, you can get into MD schools with this score if the rest of your application is strong.

For those of you getting 510+, did anybody take Kaplan FL's? If so, what were your scores around? I just took the test a few days ago and I'm trying to get a feel of how I might have done.

Mine ranged from 499-503 in the few weeks leading up to the test. The questions definitely helped me prepare better but destroyed my confidence. As you can see, the Kaplans scores are much harsher than the actual.

Final = 517
CP = 130
CARS = 127 (almost ran out of time so rushed the last two passages)
B/BC = 130
P/S = 130

Haha ya, it's still good, but a few schools look exclusively at that. My GPA isn't great so a 131 - 132 (or equivalent to a 13-15 on the old exam) would have helped a ton in getting an interview, especially one of the Ontario schools.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. Canadian schools are crazy right now.
129 C/P
130 CARS
132 B/B
129 P/S
~3.8 GPA
With those stats I'm on the outside looking in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine ranged from 499-503 in the few weeks leading up to the test. The questions definitely helped me prepare better but destroyed my confidence. As you can see, the Kaplans scores are much harsher than the actual.

Final = 517
CP = 130
CARS = 127 (almost ran out of time so rushed the last two passages)
B/BC = 130
P/S = 130

Congrats, C!!!!!! You are a beast (and some might say "The Dominant One"). So so so proud of you. ;)

I'm encouraged by the Kaplan score to MCAT scores I'm seeing. Anyone out there who has had their morale destroyed by Kaplan, just know that your actual test score should turn out to be much higher! The 505 I scored on my last Kaplan looks pretty good to me now.

Jesus y'all are insane. Have to remind myself that it's not necessary to have 95% to have a chance. But congrats everyone. :highfive:

CP: 129
CARS: 129
B/BC: 127
P/S: 128
Cumulative: 513 (89%)

Reactions: 2 users
129 C/P
130 CARS
132 B/B
129 P/S
~3.8 GPA

WTF- I'm Canadian, July taker, and would be happy with a 512+ dude wtf you just got a 520 and you are saying "you are on the outside looking in" I really hope you're just one of those neurotic pre meds that doesn't settle for anything than the best, if not then I may as well not even apply

129 C/P
130 CARS
132 B/B
129 P/S
~3.8 GPA

I know it's absolutely insane! I'm hoping that my in-province schools (that require the new MCAT) will have fewer applicants this year because of that, and that I'll have a better chance of getting in. I'm not sure if that's just incredibly wishful thinking though :p

WTF- I'm Canadian, July taker, and would be happy with a 512+ dude wtf you just got a 520 and you are saying "you are on the outside looking in" I really hope you're just one of those neurotic pre meds that doesn't settle for anything than the best, if not then I may as well not even apply
What school's are you applying to? The one's that are focused on Academics routinely have 3.9+ averages, especially if you're oop. Most school's (aside Manitoba) don't really care about MCAT.

Jesus y'all are insane. Have to remind myself that it's not necessary to have 95% to have a chance. But congrats everyone. :highfive:

CP: 129
CARS: 129
B/BC: 127
P/S: 128
Cumulative: 513 (89%)
solo score ! I have to remind myself I don't have to have a 522 to have a good shot

I'm an Albertan , applying to U of C
Yeah. Calgary is a funny one. They've not liked my "top 10" and reference letters the past few years. Anyway, GPA and MCAT are not worth much to them because of how much is based on your extracurriculars.

edit: so take heart because you may well be exactly what they're looking for, 99% MCAT not required.

I know it's absolutely insane! I'm hoping that my in-province schools (that require the new MCAT) will have fewer applicants this year because of that, and that I'll have a better chance of getting in. I'm not sure if that's just incredibly wishful thinking though :p
My thought too. I'm Albertan and both U of C and U of A are moving exclusively to the new MCAT. Fingers crossed for a thinner applicant pool.

Total: 515 (93rd %tile)

From multiple conversions, websites this roughly corresponds to a 34-35, but definitely more on the side of a 34.

To add to the conversation above, my Kaplan FL's never got higher than 505, and Psychology/sociology was always my best section. The real thing was much easier than Kaplan FLs, but I think overall the P/S section was poorly covered by Kaplan. When I took the real thing there were some terms I had never seen.

Last edited:
Overall Preliminary Percentile Ranking: 86%-96%

Final Score:
C/P: 128 (87%)
CARS: 127 (81%)
Bio/BC: 131 (99%)
PSBB: 127 (75%)
Total: 513 (89%)

I'm thrilled!!!! Congrats everyone!!!!

same here! what do you guys think of my chances with a 514 and ~3.7 gpa ):
U of C is a definite maybe with GPA making up only 20% (iirc) of the pre MMI score. U of A has had pretty high averages, but I think that the single highest weighted category is still "personal experience" or whatever.

cp - 131
cars - 130
b/bc - 130
p/s - 131

Little bit disappointed about the CARS since Canadian schools weigh that so heavily, but hopefully this is good enough to offset my mediocre GPA. Congrats on everyone who got the scores they wanted! The wait is finally over :p

Congrats on the amazing score! How did you study?

U of C is a definite maybe with GPA making up only 20% (iirc) of the pre MMI score. U of A has had pretty high averages, but I think that the single highest weighted category is still "personal experience" or whatever.

really? in my experience uofa doesn't give personal experience as much weight compared to academics.. so i've kind of just given up on that school

Is this unbalanced and will this automatically disqualify me from a lot of schools??
C/P - 126
CARS - 125
B/B - 130
P/S - 127

508 total (77%)

Is this unbalanced and will this automatically disqualify me from a lot of schools??
C/P - 126
CARS - 125
B/B - 130
P/S - 127

508 total (77%)

I don't think so. The imbalance in my opinion is more "Look at that great Bio!", less "Look at that CARS...". 125 should pass any (domestic) screening, and provided you have the others stats it seems like a reasonable score. A little lower on the bell curve, but around the matriculant median.

oh i never saw those before. i think for me, it just doesn't make sense how they can weigh it heavily when they don't give much room for you to explain your ECs as compared to uofc
Fair enough. Maybe they're just looking for really stereotyped things that don't require much interpretation or explanation. :shrug:

Hi everyone,

I visit SDN quite often but I just officially registered today! It`s great how knowledgeable everyone is here. So I just got my MCAT score back. 505 total; 127 Chem/Phy, 123 CARS, 126 Bio and 129 Psych. I already applied to allopathic schools this cycle...do you think my MCAT score is too bad? I am actually quite worried right now :(

I'm so effing happy.

514 91% !!
C/P - 131 99%
CARS - 126 70%
B - 130 97%
P/S - 127 75%

Three years ago I got a 26 on the MCAT, and I just got ~33. I went from:
27% -> 70% in Verbal
50% -> 99% in Chem/Physics
95% -> 97% in Bio.

:))

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone,

I visit SDN quite often but I just officially registered today! It`s great how knowledgeable everyone is here. So I just got my MCAT score back. 505 total; 127 Chem/Phy, 123 CARS, 126 Bio and 129 Psych. I already applied to allopathic schools this cycle...do you think my MCAT score is too bad? I am actually quite worried right now :(

Unless you're URM, have a favorable instate, or have something amazing in your application, you're in a tight spot. It may be competitive for DO schools (the 123 CARS may be detrimental), but that score is semi-comparable to 28-29, which is on the far tail end for a lot of MD schools. Again, the CARS may not pass screening... Perhaps update a 'What are my chances' (WAMC) thread and see what the masses think given a fuller profile.

Very similar to my scores^^ I think with a strong application we have a pretty good chance! Its about a 31 on the old mcat. Thats a 77% acceptance rate if you have a 3.8 GPA or higher and are non-URM
GPA/MCAT acceptance: https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/factstable25-4.pdf

I'm pleased with my results
517 total

129 for Physics/Chem, Psych, and Verbal, 130 for Biology.

What does this convert to old scale? 96 percentile.

Unless you're URM, have a favorable instate, or have something amazing in your application, you're in a tight spot. It may be competitive for DO schools (the 123 CARS may be detrimental), but that score is semi-comparable to 28-29, which is on the far tail end for a lot of MD schools. Again, the CARS may not pass screening... Perhaps update a 'What are my chances' (WAMC) thread and see what the masses think given a fuller profile.

I don`t know what happened to my CARS performance. For whatever practice tests I did, I never performed that bad! This is really frustrating. Seems like I have no chance this year. Thanks for your input though.

ive been scoring about 503-506 on kaplan tests. test in 2 weeks. you guys think ill be fine? i need at least 509 or so.

Don't let Kaplan scare you! Your scores are much better than mine ever were on the kaplan FLs and I ended up getting a 509 on the real thing. So you should be fine, however don't walk into the exam thinking that the real thing will be any easier either