The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome a really popular gym called "Barbell Brigade" is only about a mile and a half away from USC. It may be worth the 100$ monthly.
I have decided to try my hardest to avoid "1st year body"

$100/mo??? That sounds so expensive, but I guess I've never bought a gym membership before so I have nothing to compare it to.

what does the freshman 15 apply to med school too?
Yep. Basically students get overwhelmed eat junk and neglect exercise,
This can be avoided with planning though.
My plan is to work out right after class and then study in the evening

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$100/mo??? That sounds so expensive, but I guess I've never bought a gym membership before so I have nothing to compare it to.

This gym is worth it. Right now I pay 30$ a month at 24hr fitness but the atmosphere sucks, no one re-racks weights and there is only one squat rack
No point in saving money if you can't get a good work out in.

Chicken breasts and brown rice, occasional turkey burger.
BTW am I the only one who has picked out a gym at any of their perspective schools?
Haha at Mayo I led a spontaneous trip to their student/patient gym in between interviews

I made edible pasta. proof of my adultness

Haha at Mayo I led a spontaneous trip to their student/patient gym in between interviews
Awesome . I regret not applying there. A friend of mine just interviewed at Mayo and loved it.
UCSF also has a nice gym at the Mission Bay campus. They finally deemed me cool enough to receive a secondary, so fingers crossed

Awesome . I regret not applying there. A friend of mine just interviewed at Mayo and loved it.
UCSF also has a nice gym at the Mission Bay campus. They finally deemed me cool enough to receive a secondary, so fingers crossed
God I loved mayo but it is so impossible to get in like even after the interview. They accepted four people in their last "wave" of acceptances

WIN_20151128_173056.JPG
hehehehehehehehehehe

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so apparently even for the most competitive specialties like derm, a "highly regarded med school" is not important. This changes my perspective a lot
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf
Something I have noticed while working at UCSF (which is a top 10 hospital for those who don't know) Is that many highly regarded surgeons there went to medical schools that are great schools but not top tier schools. However, they did their residencies and fellowships at top tier programs.

Something I have noticed while working at UCSF (which is a top 10 hospital for those who don't know) Is that many highly regarded surgeons there went to medical schools that are great schools but not top tier schools. However, they did their residencies and fellowships at top tier programs.
yeah and it makes sense as class rank is more important

I have two cases of ramen for some reason. My goal is to wait to see what I get then fill in the rest at thrift stores.

Idk I'm still pretty stoked on my $9.72 crock pot brand crock pot.

Also you guys the Apple Watch is amazing

Ugh I'm starting to get unnecessarily anxious about the places I interviewed at really early that are starting to call people for acceptances that interviewed way after me. Masdfkaj;ladksjfds;lfkjadsfl;

Ugh I'm starting to get unnecessarily anxious about the places I interviewed at really early that are starting to call people for acceptances that interviewed way after me. Masdfkaj;ladksjfds;lfkjadsfl;
this has been me all day!! I was refreshing my email more times than I refreshed the mcat score page

Same with me. I dread seeing updates

I feel ya. At Wash U they're giving out some acceptances to people who just interviewed like two weeks ago, and I interviewed back in September so a little anxious.

I am confused about the dean certification thing still
I got impatient and called yesterday and they said the admissions office is basically working on them full time now, but there's huge piles of them and it takes a while to check them off manually.

For any of you who have had an MMI interview (I know Lannister had one), how did you prepare for it?

I didn't.
I don't think there is really much of a point in preparing for MMIs. I didn't get asked any traditional questions (No "why medicine" or "why this school"), they were all questions I would never have anticipated. I don't see any point in reading up on ethical situations, just be a good person and you'll do fine on the ethical questions lol. I think most people struggle with the acting questions the most, but those were my favorite stations. Just convince yourself that the situation is real, don't be fake.
Honestly I know it's cliche but just be yourself and answer honestly. Talk through your thought process, don't worry about whether your answer is right or wrong. It's the justification that matters.
MMIs are actually pretty fun :p

I didn't.
I don't think there is really much of a point in preparing for MMIs. I didn't get asked any traditional questions (No "why medicine" or "why this school"), they were all questions I would never have anticipated. I don't see any point in reading up on ethical situations, just be a good person and you'll do fine on the ethical questions lol. I think most people struggle with the acting questions the most, but those were my favorite stations. Just convince yourself that the situation is real, don't be fake.
Honestly I know it's cliche but just be yourself and answer honestly. Talk through your thought process, don't worry about whether your answer is right or wrong. It's the justification that matters.
MMIs are actually pretty fun :p

This is good to hear. I have an MMI this week and I'm not looking forward to it in the least! By acting, do you mean ones where the patient may be med seeking or have to deliver bad news, etc?

For any of you who have had an MMI interview (I know Lannister had one), how did you prepare for it?
I did at stanford and nyu. I prepared by looking at a couple sample mmi questions and practicing answers. Nothing too intense, just get the feel for how long you would have to speak. I had fun at them - good luck!

This is good to hear. I have an MMI this week and I'm not looking forward to it in the least! By acting, do you mean ones where the patient may be med seeking or have to deliver bad news, etc?

I wasn't asked to play a character ever, I was just supposed to play myself as if I was in that situation. Like in one I was supposed to be asking a med student for advice (but it turned out that the interviewee ends up giving the actor more advice than the other way around haha) and in one I was comforting a friend who had gotten bad news.

Lol God help me. I sent out a group message to my suite mates asking whoever put a bunch of giant boxes in the recycle bin to take it out because it was overflowing. I wasn't mad, it wasn't a big deal, and it was a perfectly polite text. Somehow it escalated into a five hour-long passive aggressive text war about leaving dirty dishes to soak in the sink. This is so horrible but also kind of entertaining.