***The Official NYU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

There was a survey last week?
I didn't get one either

couple of SDNers on page 26 were discussing a questionnaire they received.

Members don't see this ad.

How are people finding apartments as a student (no job) I already know of the big apartment buildings near school, but they don't have studios available. Right now I've been talking to a broker and with no job, they want a 3 month deposit. Anyone have better luck or helpful info? I'm moving with my husband so can't get in with a roommate. Thanks!

Anybody looking for a male roommate this coming August? I posted in the Class of 2019 FB page as well. PM if interested!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey if you dont mind me asking what did you leave her in the message? every time I call the admission office, they just take my name and tell me to email them any updates. I sent an email today with my released grades and received a generic response.

Thank you

I just said that I am a wait listed student and would like to continue to express my interest in NYUCD. If you have sent her any previous emails that she has not responded to I would briefly mention that as well. Good luck!!!

I don't know if this information has already been posted, but does anyone have information as to how many people are waitlsited, and how many of those people actually get off the waitlist ?

NEED ADVICE
I am waitlisted at NYU and was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 3.3overall and 3.3 science gpa. I got 19AA and 19TS on the DAT.
Should I retake the DAT?

NEED ADVICE
I am waitlisted at NYU and was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 3.3overall and 3.3 science gpa. I got 19AA and 19TS on the DAT.
Should I retake the DAT?

Yes, your academics is not competitive for NYU or for most schools.

NEED ADVICE
Should I retake the DAT?
It's really up to you if you want to retake it. My gpa was close to yours and I had the exact scores on the DAT and I was just accepted into NYU.
I would suggest to keep calling and expressing your interest.

Reactions: 1 user
It's really up to you if you want to retake it. My gpa was close to yours and I had the exact scores on the DAT and I was just accepted into NYU.
I would suggest to keep calling and expressing your interest.
Could u give me a further breakdown of ur dat scores? And extra curricular activities.. I did bad in one section.. Got 17 in bio

So I'm currently wait listed and am thinking about taking a summer school course what do you guys think I should do? The course is 10 weeks long. I really want to attend nyu and keep trying to show my interest, but I know my chances are low (from CA and my scores aren't the best).

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing...Really wanna get in, just don't know what I can do except waiting ...

I don't want to give false hopes, but I think the best strategy is to just try and forget about the whole waitlist thing. I got a call last Wednesday, totally unexpected. There are still places to fill, but again I think the best way to avoid disappointment is to concentrate on doing your best in the next cycle (that's what I've been doing since April), and then if a call happens - good news! - and if not, you know you will rock next year and - who knows - you might get into a better and/or cheaper school! Best of luck to all applicants and don't let the waiting affect your spirits!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I am a non-traditional applicant. I graduated a handful of years ago (7 years ago to be exact) with a business major and an overall GPA right at a 3.0 . I decided to go back for dental school because dentistry has always been an interesting career to me and actually a dream growing up. I went back to school to take the required science courses (all of them since I had not taken any before). I recently finished all of the courses from Gen Chem and Basic Biology to O-Chem and Cell Bio. My overall GPA for all the science classes is a 3.53 and I am currently on the waitlist at NYU. (interview was in november 2014)

A few other notes:
- I worked for 5 years in various positions at a financial institution and in sales
- I have performed over 100 total hours shadowing three dentists
- DAT score was a 20 AA, 18 PAT, 21 QR, 22 RC, 17 BIO, 18 GC, 20 OC, 18 TS

I know the scores aren't the best, but I had a lot on my plate and was actually pretty proud of my scores considering I was only able to study hard for the DAT for 12 days (I was in accelerated classes at the time so I knew a lot I had learned that year before would show up on the DAT). Seeing some posts on this forum I thought I would actually be pretty competitive for NYU but I have not heard and have reached out a few times via email and just keep getting the "your information has been added to your file"

As the reapplication cycle is coming up I am in a tough spot of whether to reapply or not. I want to obviously in case I don't get in, but if I do get in I will have spend a solid 700-1000 dollars just to reapply. Money is not easy to come by now for me so I am just curious what opinions you all have!

I am a non-traditional applicant. I graduated a handful of years ago (7 years ago to be exact) with a business major and an overall GPA right at a 3.0 . I decided to go back for dental school because dentistry has always been an interesting career to me and actually a dream growing up. I went back to school to take the required science courses (all of them since I had not taken any before). I recently finished all of the courses from Gen Chem and Basic Biology to O-Chem and Cell Bio. My overall GPA for all the science classes is a 3.53 and I am currently on the waitlist at NYU. (interview was in november 2014)

A few other notes:
- I worked for 5 years in various positions at a financial institution and in sales
- I have performed over 100 total hours shadowing three dentists
- DAT score was a 20 AA, 18 PAT, 21 QR, 22 RC, 17 BIO, 18 GC, 20 OC, 18 TS

I know the scores aren't the best, but I had a lot on my plate and was actually pretty proud of my scores considering I was only able to study hard for the DAT for 12 days (I was in accelerated classes at the time so I knew a lot I had learned that year before would show up on the DAT). Seeing some posts on this forum I thought I would actually be pretty competitive for NYU but I have not heard and have reached out a few times via email and just keep getting the "your information has been added to your file"

As the reapplication cycle is coming up I am in a tough spot of whether to reapply or not. I want to obviously in case I don't get in, but if I do get in I will have spend a solid 700-1000 dollars just to reapply. Money is not easy to come by now for me so I am just curious what opinions you all have!

I was in your same position last semester. To be honest I think it's your DAT science scores that are hurting you the most. A 17 in BIO is not good, and an 18TS is tough. I would retake the DAT if I were you and reapply. If you study more you'll probably be in a much better position, and if you do get in that $1000 will feel like chump change. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: 2 users
I was in your same position last semester. To be honest I think it's your DAT science scores that are hurting you the most. A 17 in BIO is not good, and an 18TS is tough. I would retake the DAT if I were you and reapply. If you study more you'll probably be in a much better position, and if you do get in that $1000 will feel like chump change. Just my opinion of course.

Thanks for the advice! I applied really late last year (end of october is when all my LORs got in), so I was shocked to even get an interview from any school. Aside from retaking the DAT, do you recommend doing more volunteer work and shadowing?

Congrats to everyone that got an acceptance!!!! :claps: hopefully the rest of us have the same luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
I have a question for those of you who got off the waitlist via email. Did you guys recieve an email from some one named richard or some one else?

Ohhh good thank you. I just talked to dr mejia and she said she wi forward my email to richard and have him get back to me. I don't know what that means. I hope it is a good thing.

Thanks for the advice! I applied really late last year (end of october is when all my LORs got in), so I was shocked to even get an interview from any school. Aside from retaking the DAT, do you recommend doing more volunteer work and shadowing?

Honestly, no. Just increase your grades and DAT, that is most important. You can try doing more shadowing, but there's really a limit to that, and many ADCOMs have told me this. The single most important thing is getting your completed app in by the opening date. You want to be early, make that your mantra. Good luck, with perseverance you'll get in.

Just out of curiousity, is any one here applying for 3rd or fourth time.

Are there any Canadians looking to secure a loan for dental school? I know a very knowledgeable financial advisor at CIBC who was able to help me secure 275k at prime rate. I know there are some of you struggling to get a loan, just like I was. I am just trying to help you out because I know how frustrating and stressful this process can be. If anyone is interested, feel free to message me and I will give you his details.

I called today and they said there's still movement but most movement tends to occur in july/august!

The anxiety is real, I want to hear back before I reapply +pity+

Reactions: 2 users
how crazy, i use to be one of you guys just last year. just finished my d1 year at nyu & finals were a b!itch . let me know if you cool kids have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
how crazy, i use to be one of you guys just last year. just finished my d1 year at nyu & finals were a b!itch . let me know if you cool kids have any questions.

They get worse in D2. Prepare yourself. ;)

Any advice or tips/tricks that you wish you knew before starting?

For example...someone told me to get a tackle box for storing all your instruments and for easy transport. I never would've thought to do that, but it seems like a really awesome solution in hindsight.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say congratulations to all who were excepted and to those on the waitlist, although it might not feel like it, there is still plenty of time to hear some good news! With that said, if there is anyone currently living on Staten Island who plans on dorming and is currently on the apartment/roommate hunt please let me know. I figured that it would be cool if we were able to meet up before beginning the next crazy chapter in our lives lol.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say congratulations to all who were excepted and to those on the waitlist, although it might not feel like it, there is still plenty of time to hear some good news! With that said, if there is anyone currently living on Staten Island who plans on dorming and is currently on the apartment/roommate hunt please let me know. I figured that it would be cool if we were able to meet up before beginning the next crazy chapter in our lives lol.
I'm from SI what high school did you go to?

Oh okay cool I went to Curtis. Good to see another SI guy going to NYUCD

Anybody looking for a male roommate this coming August? I posted in the Class of 2019 FB page as well. PM if interested!
Hey! Where are you planning on living (if you don't mind having a female roomate!)

Hi, I am looking for room & roommate, preferably move in by August 1st. Please PM me if you're interested. Thanks

I will be giving up my spot. Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys this is my first post and I've been silently stalking this thread every day. Happy to announce that I got in this morning! Good luck to you all. Last time I talked to admissions they told me 30-40 spots usually open up in the summer. Time to party and put away all of the DAT material I've been studying for the past 4 weeks!

Reactions: 8 users
Hey guys this is my first post and I've been silently stalking this thread every day. Happy to announce that I got in this morning! Good luck to you all. Last time I talked to admissions they told me 30-40 spots usually open up in the summer. Time to party and put away all of the DAT material I've been studying for the past 4 weeks!

Congrats!!! Can I ask what your stats are please? If you don't want to post can you PM me please :)

Congrats!!! Can I ask what your stats are please? If you don't want to post can you PM me please :)

Of course! I had a 3.56 science a 3.5 overall. 19TS 19AA----17 on Pat and Qr (yikes). I'm from California. I work for time as a dental assistant so over 2000 hrs of assisting. Good luck!

Of course! I had a 3.56 science a 3.5 overall. 19TS 19AA----17 on Pat and Qr (yikes). I'm from California. I work for time as a dental assistant so over 2000 hrs of assisting. Good luck!

Awesome thank you!!! congrats again :)

Wow i am happy for you i have a gpa of 3.55 and DAT of 19 sciense and 18 AA, i only had one 17 and that was on the reading section. I talked to dr mejia personaly and she told me because of 17 on my reading, they can not go forward with my application. I dont know what they go based off of.

Wow i am happy for you i have a gpa of 3.55 and DAT of 19 sciense and 18 AA, i only had one 17 and that was on the reading section. I talked to dr mejia personaly and she told me because of 17 on my reading, they can not go forward with my application. I dont know what they go based off of.

Aw that's a bummer :/ How did you ask her about the going forward? Or did she just tell you that herself?

She said she would have someone named richard get back to me but i called richard mysefl and he said i talked to dr mejia and because of that 17 we can not go forward with your application at this point. This was 2 weeks ago so i dont know if they change their decision. At least i hope they do

Oh ok, I emailed her somewhat recently, so hopefully if they're not going to move forward with my application they let me know. I hope they change their mind for you :) Good luck!

Oh ok, I emailed her somewhat recently, so hopefully if they're not going to move forward with my application they let me know. I hope they change their mind for you :) Good luck!
Thank you