****The Official OHSU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Has anyone on here gotten an interview, but never received the "highly competitive" email? Just wondering what to expect at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone on here gotten an interview, but never received the "highly competitive" email? Just wondering what to expect at this point.

I didn't get that email. But I needed to do an academic update in December to meet their minimum number of credits for consideration.

Last edited:
I got the "soft rejection" email in November, but still says going through the whole multilevel review. Just wondering if there is even a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the "soft rejection" email in November, but still says going through the whole multilevel review. Just wondering if there is even a chance.

Are you an Oregon resident? They seem to be focusing on non-residents now as those are tougher slots to fill.

Yeah. I am an Oregon Resident. Have 2 masters degrees as well. High GPA's in both.

Could just be that they run later than other schools and are focusing on non-residents right now.

I got the soft rejection email awhile back and was just invited for an interview which is this Tuesday! I am non-resident.

Reactions: 2 users
Just accepted through email! Finally!!

Reactions: 1 users
Got my acceptance on Feb 20 but will be declining. Good luck to everyone.

I remember you asking about MWU-AZ in another thread. Is that where you decided to go?
Yup that's what I decided on. The price obviously scares me but it is closer to home and I just felt more comfortable with their curriculum and clinical experience. I really wanted to like OHSU but I couldn't see myself being as successful there than what I would be at MWU-AZ. I would love to live in Portland though, it seems like quite a lovely place!

Received an interview invite last week. I'm OOS. I wish OHSU was a little quicker on getting around to invitations. However, I can understand the overwhelming volume of applicants with which schools deal. I also understand that OHSU is in the middle of transitioning to the new building, which can further complicate processes. I had a tough decision on which school to retain back in December and I'm pretty sure I'll be declining to interview with OHSU. Things would have been totally different, though, had Oregon been faster!

Can anybody shed some light on OHSU OOS interview results? Are they one of the schools that typically interview few and accept most of their interview candidates?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody shed some light on OHSU OOS interview results? Are they one of the schools that typically interview few and accept most of their interview candidates?

Yes. A few years ago, their acceptance rate for OOS interviewees was something like 95%. They told me that their goal is only to interview 150 candidates. If the past numbers are correct, about half of those interviewed are OOS. A lot of them decline obviously.

It looks like they're placing a lot of emphasis on OOS applicants right now. I'm in the CLSB almost every day and the names of interviewees posted lately have all been OOS. Those are the hardest spots to fill, and I'm sure interviewing them so late only makes it harder.

Yup that's what I decided on. The price obviously scares me but it is closer to home and I just felt more comfortable with their curriculum and clinical experience. I really wanted to like OHSU but I couldn't see myself being as successful there than what I would be at MWU-AZ. I would love to live in Portland though, it seems like quite a lovely place!

I definitely understand that. There were some things I preferred about the curriculum at Roseman. But OHSU means my family doesn't have to move and that we're closer to relatives. Since I already know that I will be practicing in Oregon, the possibility of exposure to things like CCOs and other Oregon-specific stuff is a small benefit too.

And living in Portland is awesome! I've lived in Seattle, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and Tampa and visited plenty of cities across the country. Portland has them all beat.

Yes. A few years ago, their acceptance rate for OOS interviewees was something like 95%. They told me that their goal is only to interview 150 candidates. If the past numbers are correct, about half of those interviewed are OOS. A lot of them decline obviously.

It looks like they're placing a lot of emphasis on OOS applicants right now. I'm in the CLSB almost every day and the names of interviewees posted lately have all been OOS. Those are the hardest spots to fill, and I'm sure interviewing them so late only makes it harder.

Thanks for the response. I was trying to make sense of OHSU policy on establishing residency for in state tuition. It didn't look like that's a possibility, or near as easy an option as other schools (UNLV.) Do you have any insight on this? Is it possible to convert once matriculated as an OOS student?

Thanks for the response. I was trying to make sense of OHSU policy on establishing residency for in state tuition. It didn't look like that's a possibility, or near as easy an option as other schools (UNLV.) Do you have any insight on this? Is it possible to convert once matriculated as an OOS student?

It is not possible according to what was said at the interview.

Totally impossible. I understand why. But as an Oregon native with very deep roots in the state who lives just across the river, it's a bummer.

Totally impossible. I understand why. But as an Oregon native with very deep roots in the state who lives just across the river, it's a bummer.

So you'll be paying OOS for four years b/c you're a couple miles over the state line? That just doesn't seem right. It's such a huge bummer!

I'm not sure I really understand why? I mean, your situation holds more weight than mine, but I genuinely WANT to be an Oregon resident. Obviously because of the tuition but also because of the connection I feel to Oregon. I mean, I'm giving up an offer from my state school (+large scholarship) to go to OHSU. I see myself attending OHSU and living in Oregon the rest of my life. It sucks that the residency laws are so exclusive. It's almost like they don't want me to stay in Oregon? I'm afraid I'll feel like an outsider, not worthy for some reason of being part of the Oregon clan because I originally moved for school. I hate not feeling welcomed or being included in things. Of course these feelings are totally irrational and they're my silly insecurities that I'll deal with, but nonetheless, in some ways I am quite literally forced to buy into the state where I want to live and practice. One year OOS tuition would be totally fine...all four! no wonder it's hard for them to get OOSers to matriculate.

So you'll be paying OOS for four years b/c you're a couple miles over the state line? That just doesn't seem right. It's such a huge bummer!

I'm not sure I really understand why? I mean, your situation holds more weight than mine, but I genuinely WANT to be an Oregon resident. Obviously because of the tuition but also because of the connection I feel to Oregon. I mean, I'm giving up an offer from my state school (+large scholarship) to go to OHSU. I see myself attending OHSU and living in Oregon the rest of my life. It sucks that the residency laws are so exclusive. It's almost like they don't want me to stay in Oregon? I'm afraid I'll feel like an outsider, not worthy for some reason of being part of the Oregon clan because I originally moved for school. I hate not feeling welcomed or being included in things. Of course these feelings are totally irrational and they're my silly insecurities that I'll deal with, but nonetheless, in some ways I am quite literally forced to buy into the state where I want to live and practice. One year OOS tuition would be totally fine...all four! no wonder it's hard for them to get OOSers to matriculate.

Please excuse the rant...I'll stop my bitching now and suck it up...the laws are the laws and OHSU is doing the right thing by following them. I'm still incredibly happy and appreciative to have a seat here and won't mention the tuition thing again haha.

Thx. It's hard enough as an OR resident to get in. OHSU also has one of the more expensive IS tuition rates that I've seen, and they take in more OOS students (% wise) than most state-funded schools already.

I understand state schools' positions on this in Oregon. Funding from the state is lousy and it's dropping. It explains the somewhat high in-state tuition and the ~1/3 of the seats that typically go to non-residents. I'm a University of Oregon alum and recall heaps of OOS students. They're necessary for the bigger state schools and they definitely benefit from things like Californians not making it into the UC system.

While there is a kind of statutory unwelcoming feeling that comes from this, I wouldn't worry about it in the specific. Honestly, "Oregon resident" isn't as much of a clique as "Oregonian" is. Not everyone who is the former is the latter. (And though I'm one of the latter, but I've lived so many places the last 10-15 years that I've learned to play nice!)

Thx. It's hard enough as an OR resident to get in. OHSU also has one of the more expensive IS tuition rates that I've seen, and they take in more OOS students (% wise) than most state-funded schools already.

The odds seem fairly decent for IS applicants. But it sounds like they're waiting to fill some of those seats since they're easier to fill. The wait is a killer.

You're right though about the expense and high OOS acceptance rate compared to a lot of other schools.

The in state applicant pool is small this year. Around 100 people. They normally interview around 120-130 people. So they don't conduct a lot of excess interviews. If you are OOS you have an excellent chance of getting in if you interview.

Reactions: 1 users
The in state applicant pool is small this year. Around 100 people. They normally interview around 120-130 people. So they don't conduct a lot of excess interviews. If you are OOS you have an excellent chance of getting in if you interview.
Could you elaborate a bit more on the in-state applicant pool? That number just seems way too low

Mark recently gave a presentation for our university but he didn't mention ~100 IS applicants this year...mind blowing

More people think they are in-state than OHSU can actually verify. So of the 125 people who put down Oregon residency on their applications quite a few could not be verified. Leaving a little over 100 who are considered in-state for this years pool. This comes from 1:1 meetings with Mark. I was pretty surprised as well. I think it was like 105 total verifiable Oregon residents. People underestimate the amount of time it takes for residency requirements. If they moved here and have been taking more than 8 credits per term in an Oregon university they are not gaining residency. If they moved to Oregon a few months ago they are not considered residents. Legally residing in the state and being considered as an Oregon resident for admission are totally different. Although, right now it seems like OOS applicants have the advantage since they are short and the pool is drying up with OHSU being slow to fill its roster. Other than paying more for tuition you may have a better chance right now as OOS. The ever shrinking level of support from the state has eroded the motivation for them to take in-state applicants. They still constitute the majority of the class though, for now. Know too that over the years I have noticed Mark tends to ballpark things so he may be estimating high or low. I have no idea how people are asked to verify if their residency doesn't match their application and I don't know if they are given the opportunity to provide additional documentation.

Reactions: 2 users
I got the soft rejection email awhile back and was just invited for an interview which is this Tuesday! I am non-resident.
If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats?

Best of luck on the interview. Please pass on any information about the filling of the class, if they mention it.

Hi! So I applied and haven't heard anything AT ALL not even interview....does that mean that I'm rejected or should I still be waiting...

Hi! So I applied and haven't heard anything AT ALL not even interview....does that mean that I'm rejected or should I still be waiting...
I'm in the same boat... My AADSAS hasn't changed since they received my application and I got the "competitive" email

I would contact Mark Mitchell and check in. He will review your application and let you know where you stand. Would definitely be worth a try.

Hi everyone! So I'm just wondering if I have any chance of getting an interview/acceptance at all. I submitted my application beginning of July and I got the competitive email and I'm an OOS applicant and these are my stats:

sGPA: 3.9
oGPA: 3.88
AA: 21
TS: 22
PAT: 20
670 hrs shadowing
1 yr of research

Thanks for your comments and Good Luck!

I think they're still focusing on OOS right now. I look at the list of each day's interviewees most days I'm in the CLSB and only one that I saw this week was from a university in Oregon. And that doesn't even mean that he or she is a resident.

Hi everyone! So I'm just wondering if I have any chance of getting an interview/acceptance at all. I submitted my application beginning of July and I got the competitive email and I'm an OOS applicant and these are my stats:

670 hrs shadowing
1 yr of research

As was said above for someone else's case, it might be worth contacting Mark. They're working through a lot of OOS applicants right now.

As was said above for someone else's case, it might be worth contacting Mark. They're working through a lot of OOS applicants right now.
Thank you! Do you have any idea on how many seats are left?

Thank you! Do you have any idea on how many seats are left?

They were about half full a few weeks ago.

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but they aim to interview about 150 people. They're focusing on OOS right now because those are hard to full and it looks like they might have to fill more of those spots this year.

I think they're still focusing on OOS right now. I look at the list of each day's interviewees most days I'm in the CLSB and only one that I saw this week was from a university in Oregon. And that doesn't even mean that he or she is a resident.
What is the CLSB?

670 hrs shadowing
1 yr of research

I would think you would have been invited already with stats like those.

CLSB is the building the SOD is in. Collaborative life sciences building.

I'm in a similar situation as a lot of people here: OOS and competitive email but not having heard anything since...

I'm in a similar situation as a lot of people here: OOS and competitive email but not having heard anything since...

Same here. It's relieving to see a bunch of people turning down interviews here. It's taking forever to hear anything from them, but I have a friend who is a second year there and didn't get accepted until May.