***The Official UMichigan Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Also got rejected. Interviewed on 1/17, OOS. Thought I did well on the interview, but I guess not..

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I feel for you... As you know, very similar situation to mine a few years ago - what I though was my best interview at my alma mater is the only school I interviewed at that did not accept me. The reason I bring this up is that it is quite possible that you have some more acceptances coming in. Also, I was quite literally the very first person they interviewed, but I don't think that will affect your ability to ask how you could have improved. You can ask this at anytime. Keep your chin up, it just goes to show that a lot of this system is luck and chance.

as others have said, this whole process feels random from our perspective. i got waitlisted at a school i felt i knocked my interview out of the park, and got in to others where i kinda felt i phoned it in. at any rate, you do have an offer in your back pocket and nobody can say you had an unsuccessful cycle.

I appreciate the affirmation. What's more important for now is to know that I'm going somewhere but to work even harder in getting into these other schools. Being waitlisted at these other schools might sting my pride a bit, but I'm going to treat it as a second chance, write a letter of intent to them, and hope for the best.

To everyone else who got rejected and is feeling lost, here's to coming out from this cycle a better person with a stronger character and greater passion to be the best freaking dentist you can be. It's not over till it's over. Peace out michigan, it's been nice knowing you.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear about what happened aqz. Hope a couple of acceptances roll your way. I think Columbia and UPenn will roll your way eventually.

I second what has been said around here. This cycle has been crazy for me. I was surprised to get rejected from Michigan as well (OOS). I didn't hear back from many interviews I thought I slam dunked. The interview I did the best in was the first one I got rejected from. The only acceptance I have was the one where so many tough questions were thrown at me, I literally felt like screaming/crying at the end of the interview because I thought I did horrible. The stoic, and emotionless interviewers didn't help either.

This process is random and frustrating. Find something to distract yourself with guys, because you don't want to dwell so much on this process that your grades fall and you lose the one acceptance you have. Otherwise you'll have unwanted stress over studying (as if the DAT and 3 yrs of college wasn't enough stress already). Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in at Temple, but it was never my top choice. Still waiting on some of these other schools since pre-dec interviews, but wow if umich, my soon to be alma mater and what i thought was my best interview performance didn't like me, I have a feeling the rejections are just starting here. Wish they could have interviewed me earlier so I could at least ask what went wrong. @Bereno, I can't believe you had to go through this a couple years ago with UW, it's been a real struggle.

Just goes to show that stats aren't everything and how important first impressions are eh?
What does your EC and volunteer hours look like?

What does your EC and volunteer hours look like?

110 hours of shadowing, 70 of which were at the Umich's oral surgery department under the assistant director.

30 hours of volunteering per semester with Tau Beta Pi (amounts to more than 150 total), an engineering honor society. Had some leadership roles like organizing the career fair.

Not much research, but had 1 year of biomolecular research, realized I didn't like being stuck in a lab all day. Still pretty open to clinical research in dental school.

I am also heavily involved with my church here in terms of serving the homeless by building shelters, bringing them food. etc. etc.

I really don't think my ECs should have been the issue considering my stats. It's certainly not ASDOH level, but it's enough to say I have interests in stuff outside of school.

110 hours of shadowing, 70 of which were at the Umich's oral surgery department under the assistant director.

30 hours of volunteering per semester with Tau Beta Pi (amounts to more than 150 total), an engineering honor society. Had some leadership roles like organizing the career fair.

Not much research, but had 1 year of biomolecular research, realized I didn't like being stuck in a lab all day. Still pretty open to clinical research in dental school.

I am also heavily involved with my church here in terms of serving the homeless by building shelters, bringing them food. etc. etc.

I really don't think my ECs should have been the issue considering my stats. It's certainly not ASDOH level, but it's enough to say I have interests in stuff outside of school.
Those are really great stats! Who knows how schools make their decisions. Wherever you end up you will do great! I know UMich really likes public service, I had 6500 hrs so I just thought maybe they had a real emphasis on ECs but your stats are stellar. God has a plan!

Those are really great stats! Who knows how schools make their decisions. Wherever you end up you will do great! I know UMich really likes public service, I had 6500 hrs so I just thought maybe they had a real emphasis on ECs but your stats are stellar. God has a plan!

Honestly, I don't know either. I've talked to a few other applicants who did get in, and I received what I felt was a very disheartening answer. Basically, I was told that the reason I got rejected was because I didn't "brown nose" enough. Since UMich statisically accepts 1/3 of their interviewed applicants, I'm sure more than enough applicants either truly believed UMich was their top choice or just said it to get in. Either way, I know I didn't state that Michigan was my top choice because it honestly wasn't. I was very comfortable just engaging with the interviewers through the MMI questions and it never crossed my mind to put on an act for them.

Pattie got back to me couple days ago and said they don't give interview feedback, so that's that. I'm not bitter at the decision as I actually want to go out of state for dschool, but I do find it troubling that they can justify admitting students less (and some much less) qualified on paper simply because they showed more interest at the interview than I did. It's not cool that admission decisions are now based upon impressions rather than qualifications. To those who say everyone who gets to the interview is qualified and at that point the interview is the only thing that differentiates applicants, I definitely expressed my personality and character and showed more than enough interest to attend by saying how it's my state school, it's cheap, and I wouldn't mind sticking around in Ann Arbor for another 4 years because of the familiarity. I guess the phrase "there's always someone better than you out there" applies here, only it applies in the sense that there's always someone more desperate than you.

It's all good, I've learned a lot about myself and about life as a whole through this process. God definitely has a plan, and I think that kind of big picture perspective is far more important than idolizing my dental school decisions. If anything I'm glad He closed the door on Michigan for me as it has woken me up and pulled me out of the depression I was slowly sinking into. I'm sure this will open up a whole new array of doors as well. At the end of the day, I'm definitely blessed to have experienced the struggles of life only to see so much more beauty in life. And that is something to always be grateful for. :)

Reactions: 1 users
"showed more than enough interest to attend by saying how it's my state school, it's cheap, and I wouldn't mind sticking around in Ann Arbor for another 4 years because of the familiarity" This is probably exactly what they heard, does this sound like someone who really really wants to get in to UMich?

It's very quiet here!!! Has anyone from the wait list heard anything?

It's very quiet here!!! Has anyone from the wait list heard anything?
For someone those who are wondering if there is movement of the waitlist, I can confirm that there is still movement but has been very slow. I got a call from UM for the offer a couple of days ago.

For someone those who are wondering if there is movement of the waitlist, I can confirm that there is still movement but has been very slow. I got a call from UM for the offer a couple of days ago.
Me too. I also got a call from them a couple of weeks ago and I'm thrilled :) Are u joining the class?

I've been looking everywhere for the official "start date" for the class of 2018, but I can't find anything! Can anyone point me to the right direction? The only thing that I've gathered is that it's late June/early July. I'm trying to plan out some travel plans so knowing the dates would be very useful. Can't wait to meet my peers! Thanks.

I have been trying to figure out the same thing! If anyone knows the official start and end dates of the summer semester that would be excellent! I am curious as to the dates for 2015 however I am sure they are very similar to the 2014 dates.