2018 **** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they did rank us? They said from day one there is no ranking...
Yes there is a ranking. Dr. Jeffers mentioned that as well.

Members don't see this ad.

So they did rank us? They said from day one there is no ranking...
Yeah, they are giving mixed answers. During the interview Dr. Jeffers said there is a ranking but then in the email it says there is no ranking...

Members don't see this ad :)
Quite certain there is a ranking, I doubt they pull names from a hat...

They say they don't have a ranking system to discourage applicants from calling the admissions office to inquire about their position on the list every time there's movement

Reactions: 1 user
Oos, 20AA. Applied mid November. I recall he stated that they take into account GPA,DAT, and mainly interview score for wait list acceptances
GPA? How did the interview go?

They say they don't have a ranking system to discourage applicants from calling the admissions office to inquire about their position on the list every time there's movement

Then they could of easily just said we rank applicants but do not reveal any info on it, rather than saying we do not rank applicants in the waitlist email. And considering my gpa and dat are both below average, doesn't seem like I'm anywhere near the top. Oh well maybe it was for the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Email says i was ranked low on the waitlist.

futuredentistakh : same with me received same rejection email Friday pm.
Canadian , interviewed in October: GPA 3.8 sGPA 3.9 DAT 21 PAT 24, leadership award from Canadian University,lots of shadowing, volunteered with free dental clinic in the islands for homeless, research article that was presented at conference. Now hoping for acceptance to 2 Canadian universities I applied.
during my interview I met this person and kept in touch who had GPA 3.4 DAT 19 but from Michigan and she emailed me that she got accepted.
??

Canadian , interviewed in October: GPA 3.8 sGPA 3.9 DAT 21 PAT 24, leadership award from Canadian University,lots of shadowing, volunteered with free dental clinic in the islands for homeless, research article that was presented at conference. Now hoping for acceptance to 2 Canadian universities I applied.
during my interview I met this person and kept in touch who had GPA 3.4 DAT 19 but from Michigan and she emailed me that she got accepted.
??

Crazy. Had to be the interview?

??
Probably because they know you'll have a very high chance of getting into a Canadian school with those stats.

??

I have seen this in earlier posts where Canadians with 3.8 or 3.9 are not given interviews at UDM, and only few that are applying 2nd time are invited. Overall I think # of Canadians in US dental schools will drop this year.

Probably because they know you'll have a very high chance of getting into a Canadian school with those stats.
There are so many variables involved in admissions, its hard to say. Perhaps they had enough enrollees with a similar portfolio already. Perhaps they changed their quota for Canadians this year. Or perhaps the interview didn't go well. I would contact the school and try to get some feedback as they could have just held them on the waitlist.

If you didn't receive a call from the school last week being accepted, or an e-mail saying your rejected, what exactly does it mean...? Are the classes full now?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't receive a call from the school last week being accepted, or an e-mail saying your rejected, what exactly does it mean...? Are the classes full now?
It means exactly what it means, that you haven't been accepted or rejected yet. Accepted applicants are always backing out last minute so everyone on the waitlist still has a chance.

It means exactly what it means, that you haven't been accepted or rejected yet. Accepted applicants are always backing out last minute so everyone on the waitlist still has a chance.
Hey, yeah you're right. Thank you.
I also got a reply from UDM saying the class is currently full and the next potential round of offers may be after March 15 (when the deposits are due)

Hey, yeah you're right. Thank you.
I also got a reply from UDM saying the class is currently full and the next potential round of offers may be after March 15 (when the deposits are due)
You got a reply? So did you like e-mail them asking about the current situation or was it a general e-mail that was sent out to all applicants on the WL?

You got a reply? So did you like e-mail them asking about the current situation or was it a general e-mail that was sent out to all applicants on the WL?
It wasn't a general e-mail. I just emailed them for an update on the waitlist. she just said they class is full right now and they have pulled people from waitlist. and next deposit is due March 15, and if there is movement then more people will be pulled around that time or as people drop out.

It wasn't a general e-mail. I just emailed them for an update on the waitlist. she just said they class is full right now and they have pulled people from waitlist. and next deposit is due March 15, and if there is movement then more people will be pulled around that time or as people drop out.
Did they said anything about how many people are on the waitlist? Because looks like they also rejected a couple of people from the waitlist.

Did they said anything about how many people are on the waitlist? Because looks like they also rejected a couple of people from the waitlist.
Please keep in mind that there were/are about 300 of applicants in this cycle on WL for UDM and only handful on this forum. (From the ADEA report: there are about 700 applicants interviewed by UDM and either accepted or placed on the WL) As every year majority of class is filled by February and only a dozen are offered admission afterwards. UDM will keep a large number of applicants on wait list even though there will be only few spots available post Feb. If you are in state you have a huge advantage because in my interview it was mentioned that after February most spots are filled by in state applicants even if their stats are below expectations and their aim is to have minimum 75% in state students. Also UDM takes a lot of repeat applicants.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that there were/are about 300 of applicants in this cycle on WL for UDM and only handful on this forum. (From the ADEA report: there are about 700 applicants interviewed by UDM and either accepted or placed on the WL) As every year majority of class is filled by February and only a dozen are offered admission afterwards. UDM will keep a large number of applicants on wait list even though there will be only few spots available post Feb. If you are in state you have a huge advantage because in my interview it was mentioned that after February most spots are filled by in state applicants even if their stats are below expectations and their aim is to have minimum 75% in state students. Also UDM takes a lot of repeat applicants.
I mean it is what it is. I wish I could understand how they select their applicants. To this point I feel it's all based on luck. I know amazing applicants with amazing stats that have been waitlisted and average ones or even below average that have been accepted. All we can do is wait and hope for the best.

I mean it is what it is. I wish I could understand how they select their applicants. To this point I feel it's all based on luck. I know amazing applicants with amazing stats that have been waitlisted and average ones or even below average that have been accepted. All we can do is wait and hope for the best.
I agree!! Also by viewing this site and last year's I see that luck plays a huge part. From last year's thread there are a couple spots that opened up in May to July.

Then again having competitive stats (GPA + DAT) does not guarantee you an acceptance, as there are many other factors to be considered. Each school is different in what they look for in candidates, some may be more focused on research while others are more focused on community outreach. It depends how well you fit with their program and mission statement.

Idea: GPA + DAT could be pass/fail (meet cutoff) and your EC's, research, letters, PS, and interview are the main determining factors

I’m sure somebody is going to bite my head off for saying this, but the way UDM conducts the application process is absolutely pitiful. Having 300+ on a waiting list is absurd. There is clearly NO selectivity once somebody gets an interview at this school. I’m sorry, but for everyone really hoping you get into UDM, please really think about why you want to go there. There are plenty of great dental schools in this country and I am starting to fail to see the advantage of this one, especially considering the price.

Straight up, UDM SHOULD NOT interview as many people as they do and keep as huge of a waitlist as they do. Alright, rant over.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m sure somebody is going to bite my head off for saying this, but the way UDM conducts the application process is absolutely pitiful. Having 300+ on a waiting list is absurd. There is clearly NO selectivity once somebody gets an interview at this school. I’m sorry, but for everyone really hoping you get into UDM, please really think about why you want to go there. There are plenty of great dental schools in this country and I am starting to fail to see the advantage of this one, especially considering the price.

Straight up, UDM SHOULD NOT interview as many people as they do and keep as huge of a waitlist as they do. Alright, rant over.
If you don’t like it you’re more than welcome to jump off the waitlist... they have excellent clinical and I can say I have yet to meet an incompetent dentist from this school. Maybe practice some anti stress techniques and calm down man

If you don’t like it you’re more than welcome to jump off the waitlist... they have excellent clinical and I can say I have yet to meet an incompetent dentist from this school. Maybe practice some anti stress techniques and calm down man

Not really too stressed about it, because luckily i have other options, I just don’t understand why they have to have as huge of a waitlist as they do. No other schools, at least that I interviewed at, do anything like this.

There is no need for you to be rude. He just said that they interview way to many people and it's not really fair to be a great candidate and not get in while someone else with less qualifications gets accepted. Yeah UDM has a great clinical program, no one said the school isn't great. Just respect his opinion and don't be rude to people.

Reactions: 4 users
Also some words of encouragement for those who are in the waitlist. Dr. Jeffers said that usually by the beginning of the class there is about 20-30 people left in the waitlist. Which means a lot of people either get off the waitlist or got accepted somewhere else. So be hopeful and I wish all of you the best of luck!

Just got accepted off the waitlist. GPA 3.5 AA: 22
Anybody know how long it takes to get the acceptance package?

Reactions: 3 users
How many dentists from UDM did you evaluate for competence to state that?

Reactions: 3 users

If I'm going to be honest and unbiased, I have to totally agree with you in terms of the way UDM runs their selection process. I have been on the waitlist for three years, receiving an acceptance this year. It feels randomized, unfair, and extremely over-stressful for absolutely no reason. That being said, I didn't give up hope on this school because it DOES create proficient dentists considering the amount of complex patients you see in the underserved area of Detroit. Don't completely count this school out, you may get off the waitlist and enjoy their program!

I agree with this opinion .Having 300+ on a waiting list is absurd and really waste of time of the applicants that went for an interview and creating unnecessary hope for many. I also believe that there is clearly NO selectivity before or after somebody gets an interview at this school. That is why this thread is the longest of all the schools ( 23 pages!).
I am still in shock and can't understand why I was rejected by UDM. My stats and experiences are way above average of those accepted.(GPA 3.8 sGPA 3.9 DAT 21 PAT 24). I will go to another dental school but I unnecessary wasted time here.

Last edited:

Right? Haha I never even said anything about UDM students/UDM graduates.....but, I did complain on an open forum, so I knew I’d get some backlash from it for sure. Oh well.
If I'm going to be honest and unbiased, I have to totally agree with you in terms of the way UDM runs their selection process. I have been on the waitlist for three years, receiving an acceptance this year. It feels randomized, unfair, and extremely over-stressful for absolutely no reason. That being said, I didn't give up hope on this school because it DOES create proficient dentists considering the amount of complex patients you see in the underserved area of Detroit. Don't completely count this school out, you may get off the waitlist and enjoy their program!

Congrats!! Definitely shows passion to try again and again and ultimately make it!

I agree that UDM is a good school with unique patient culture, I just think everyone on this insanely large thread should know that if they don’t get in here it isn’t the end of the world, since there are plenty of great schools out there.

I agree with this opinion .Having 300+ on a waiting list is absurd and really waist of time of the applicants that went for an interview and creating unnecessary hope for many. I also believe that there is clearly NO selectivity once somebody gets an interview at this school. That is why this thread is the longest of all the schools ( 23 pages!).
I am still in shock and can't understand why I was rejected by UDM. My stats and experiences are way above average of those accepted.(GPA 3.8 sGPA 3.9 DAT 21 PAT 24)

Sorry to hear of this rejection, reeeeeeally makes me wonder what’s going through the admissions committees heads at this point. I hope you get into a school that’s right for you.

On Feb. 1, I got an email from UDM saying, "We have reviewed your application, but I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you an interview for this year’s admissions cycle" (which is funny because I actually had an interview back in September......), and now today I got another email from them saying that I am on the alternate list :shrug:

More than 15
More than 15

15 is statistically very insignificant number considering number of practicing dentist. Do you have right credentials for evaluating DDS?

None of y’all ain’t even dentists yet. Chill the hell out, you should be grateful to any interviews/offers.

15 is statistically very insignificant number considering number of practicing dentist. Do you have right credentials for evaluating DDS?
Considering how many applicants that were waitlisted this year, you’re nearly statistically insignificant. I suggest you stop being so sensitive and trying to provoke others cause you’re high strung. Fight your own battles anyways kid

Considering how many applicants that were waitlisted this year, you’re nearly statistically insignificant. I suggest you stop being so sensitive and trying to provoke others cause you’re high strung. Fight your own battles anyways kid

Lol you’ll make a great dentist someday with this attitude...

predentalstudent132: People like you make this thread entertaining, that is why I am reading it all , all 24 pages. ( I am not even going to UDM)

Congratulation to all that got accepted regardless of your stats, everyone worked really hard to get in, we will never find out what criteria exactly dental schools are using. Good luck to those who are waiting or will be re-applying next year.

Anyone think currently having two prereqs for UDM in progress is hindering a possible acceptance off the waitlist? I know schools all say you can take some prereqs as long as they're complete before matriculation, but I personally think that's all bs because why would admissions risk taking someone off the WL now who could possibly fail a class (not saying I am) and lose out on accepting an applicant who already has all the prereqs completed.

Also I'm sure someone on this thread has gotten accepted with 1 or 2 classes still in progress, but I feel if I were to get in, they'd wait till the end of semester to be 100% I get the min C grade, especially since I'm a canadian applicant and thats when other canadians holding their spot choose canadian schools.

Anyone think currently having two prereqs for UDM in progress is hindering a possible acceptance off the waitlist? I know schools all say you can take some prereqs as long as they're complete before matriculation, but I personally think that's all bs because why would admissions risk taking someone off the WL now who could possibly fail a class (not saying I am) and lose out on accepting an applicant who already has all the prereqs completed.

Also I'm sure someone on this thread has gotten accepted with 1 or 2 classes still in progress, but I feel if I were to get in, they'd wait till the end of semester to be 100% I get the min C grade.
I have had this question on my mind for a while now too and I am on the wait list. I have 2 prereqs I am finishing up this semester as well and your thoughts make a lot of sense. Officially, they say it doesn't matter. But I wouldn't be surprised if it does compared to another student who has their prereqs finished already.

I have had this question on my mind for a while now too and I am on the wait list. I have 2 prereqs I am finishing up this semester as well and your thoughts make a lot of sense. Officially, they say it doesn't matter. But I wouldn't be surprised if it does compared to another student who has their prereqs finished already.

Exactly! I personally think people like us on the WL will have to wait till earliest May if we are going to find out.

Canadian- Withdrew myself from the wait-list today. Good luck guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.