*** The Official University of Pittsburgh Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Has anyone gotten a hold of the financial aid office? I haven't been able to contact them, I left a voicemail earlier this week but didn't get a response.

I'm trying to figure out if the Health Professions Loan (HPL) has a limit on how much you may borrow? I know the package varies per person but was wondering if it's enough to cover all costs or will we be needing to get the Stafford Loans as well?
I heard the max is 30k and the rest you take stanfford and grad plus.

Also email them, they've been replying to like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are safe areas to live in Pitt and reasonable in price?
I'm interested in a 1 br or studio but everything is 1k and idk if it's safe in the area.

I'm interested in a 1 br or studio but everything is 1k and idk if it's safe in the area.
The only unsafe area to live at is the Hill District, but you probably wouldn't be looking there anyways. A lot of students live in North Oakland or Shadyside. Shadyside is really nice. South Oakland is cheap so you get what you pay for.

Edit: Students as in dental students, not undergrads.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say Shadyside or Squirrel Hill (not sure how many apartments are there, though). South Oakland is super cheap but it's full of undergrads and it gets pretty loud at night, though it would be the closest place to the school

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say Shadyside or Squirrel Hill (not sure how many apartments are there, though). South Oakland is super cheap but it's full of undergrads and it gets pretty loud at night, though it would be the closest place to the school
Thanks! As far as transportation, do we need a car or public transportation?

There is decent public transportation to any of those areas mentioned above by me or H2PDentalGirl. It's somewhat reliable, but also sometimes late and crowded because they're busses and there is traffic. Having a car is not necessary and parking is difficult. Also public transportation is free with your Pitt student ID so that'll save you lots of money.

Second to what @hellofuturedentists said. I believe parking above the dental school (in the Cost Center parking lot) is around $80 a month which is manageable but not ideal. Public transportation isn't bad if you're just going from school to your apartment during the week. Weekends the busses run less which is really annoying so then I would want my car for going places, grocery shopping, etc.

We have until the 15th to submit everything or just the deposit?

Like are we supposed to send the forms earlier than Jan 15?

Anyone have a breakdown of the cost of attendance here? I couldn't find it online.

Anyone have a breakdown of the cost of attendance here? I couldn't find it online.

it's on the website, look on the right side for financing your dental education under the DMD application info page

So am I the only one who interviewed in November and still hasn't heard anything back?

it's on the website, look on the right side for financing your dental education under the DMD application info page
Too much money. Turning down the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed in November and haven't heard anything yet.

They are waiting for the first batch of acceptees to reply to their admission offers. Next round of offers goes out mid Jan.

Does anyone have the daily class schedule like from 8-5? I lost mine :(

Does anyone know how much the tuition will increase?

I don't think anyone from any school will know how much tuition will increase from year to year yet
I contacted the financial dept and they said they won't know until July but typically a 3% increase.

I contacted the financial dept and they said they won't know until July but typically a 3% increase.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure most places I interviewed at said something along those lines. Have to get a budget approved which doesn't happen for a while

Thanks! I'm pretty sure most places I interviewed at said something along those lines. Have to get a budget approved which doesn't happen for a while
Yea, it seems that way for a lot of schools. My state school told us up to a 15% increase is possible. o_O

Is anyone going to the second look event tomorrow and got a call today? I got a call from the director of admissions today and she left me a message but I just saw it and it's kind of late to call back.

Any ideas when the next round of acceptances are gonna start? :nailbiting:

I withdrew my application this morning, hope someone gets my interview invite for next week. Good luck!

Has anyone heard back about the second round of acceptances as of now?

I'm waiting for their second round of acceptance as well. According to last year's thread, the 2nd round was in the middle of January so I'm hoping it's going to come sometime soon.

Hey all -

Nice meeting any of you that interviewed today. For those of you still waiting etc. they told us that today was the last interview day, and that the class isn't filled yet. They said to expect notifications sometime in February.

Thanks for letting us know! Do you know when in February? Also, was the class filled on Dec 1st but not filled yet due to some withdrawals or did they not fill the class on Dec 1st to begin with?

Thanks for letting us know! Do you know when in February? Also, was the class filled on Dec 1st but not filled yet due to some withdrawals or did they not fill the class on Dec 1st to begin with?
Not sure on both of your questions. They told us they wouldn't be interviewing us today if there wasn't room in the class. They said they are going to review the applications over the next 2 weeks and reply sometime in February, thats about it.

Just received an email from Pittsburgh to apply for FAFSA but they accidentally forgot to hide all the recipients. I counted all the recipients and it looks like the class is 52/80 full as of today. If anyone was wondering. There is still hope for those who are still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Just received an email from Pittsburgh to apply for FAFSA but they accidentally forgot to hide all the recipients. I counted all the recipients and it looks like the class is 52/80 full as of today. If anyone was wondering. There is still hope for those who are still waiting!

Very solid. I am guessing anyone that interviewed last week has a great chance!

That's great, especially keeping in mind that we're only on first deposits and some people may be holding spots at multiple schools. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Reactions: 2 users
HA! LECOM did the same thing with one of their acceptance emails. Imagine how much less stressful this process would be if the committees were completely transparent with what their class makeup is at any given time.

I did the same thing:D

Do you guys know what mentorship programs Pitt has?

Anyone know if the second wave of acceptances were sent out? So quiet over here..

Anyone know if the second wave of acceptances were sent out? So quiet over here..
Spoke to admissions. They got together last week to review applications they are getting together again on the 8th or 9th there is a good chance we will hear back shortly after that.
Hope you receive some good news soon.:)

Supposedly they are having an ADCOM meeting Tuesday Feb 9th. It's possible people will be notified this coming week

Last edited:
Any idea of how many spots they are trying to fill from the last interview on 1/25 ?

Has Pitt only sent Dec 1 acceptances? Anyone get accepted at the end of December or January?

Has Pitt only sent Dec 1 acceptances? Anyone get accepted at the end of December or January?

I interviewed on 1/25 and they told us to expect to hear around mid February, which will be the second round of acceptances

I'm in!!! Ahhh!!! Just got the email!

Nothing here..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk