Today in vet school I learned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DVMD, that is super amazing.

Members don't see this ad.

Have to share this part of my anaesthesia notes about electrical defbrillation:

"Do not order 'stand clear' with a weak and unconvincing voice. Prepare for the event! Stand upright, chest out, clear the throat, flare the nostrils, take a deep breath and bellow loudly in a manly fashion. Do not spoil the drama-charged event by electrocuting yourself: ensure your hands are gel-free and that oesophageal stethoscopes are disconnected from the subject (otherwise you will fry you brains and have to spend the rest of your career as an orthopaedic surgeon)."
:rofl:

"Do not order 'stand clear' with a weak and unconvincing voice. Prepare for the event! Stand upright, chest out, clear the throat, flare the nostrils, take a deep breath and bellow loudly in a manly fashion. Do not spoil the drama-charged event by electrocuting yourself: ensure your hands are gel-free and that oesophageal stethoscopes are disconnected from the subject (otherwise you will fry you brains and have to spend the rest of your career as an orthopaedic surgeon)."
:rofl:There are too many extra vowels in this statement. I cannot comprehend this English.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hahaha I have been telling jokes at the expense of orthopods all this past week. I love this! Might have to use it :p

Dad, "What'd you do today?"
Foxy, "Looked at a lot of sperm and testes"
Dad, "But, Foxy, what did you do in school today?"

I was on speaker with his elderly uncle and mom...

Smarties would beat Skittles in a fight, because Smarties have chocolate power*. (Yes, this was part of my neuro lecture today.)

*Canadian Smarties.

Reactions: 1 user
Yorkie races are totally acceptable on the neurology service.

Reactions: 1 users
Smarties would beat Skittles in a fight, because Smarties have chocolate power*. (Yes, this was part of my neuro lecture today.)

*Canadian Smarties.
What's a Canadian Smartie? Cuz American ones have no chocolate, and would be beaten hands down by Skittles (esp the purple pack Skittles)

I learned today that you can feel the cecum in a mare on rectal palaption -cuz I felt it! Crazy **** man. I sure am glad no one tries to feel my intestines via my rectum.

*Canadian Smarties.

Gah. American smarties are far better. :)

Canadian smarties are like bad M&Ms. What we would call Smarties are called Rockets here. And suddenly I'm regretting not getting some type of candy while grocery shopping today.

Gah. American smarties are far better. :)

Canadian smarties are like bad M&Ms. What we would call Smarties are called Rockets here. And suddenly I'm regretting not getting some type of candy while grocery shopping today.

Blasphemy! Canadian Smarties are chocolate and chocolate = goodness :)

What's a Canadian Smartie? Cuz American ones have no chocolate, and would be beaten hands down by Skittles (esp the purple pack Skittles)

I learned today that you can feel the cecum in a mare on rectal palaption -cuz I felt it! Crazy **** man. I sure am glad no one tries to feel my intestines via my rectum.
i hope i NEVER have to do a rectal palpation on a horse because i am scared to death!! up to this point in vet school, our instructors have forcefully emphasized just how fragile and dangerous the horse rectum is, and i have been convinced that should i ever even have thoughts about rectally palpating a horse, it will just explode right in front of me!

Canadian Smarties are much better than plain M&Ms. Don't ask me how, they just are.

And today I learned that pericardiocentesis was described in the 13th century.

Two analogous anatomical terms for the forelimb vs. hindlimb are carpal canal and tarsal tunnel. I appreciate the alliteration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Per yesterday's med/surg lecturer: "Death is a problem."

Glad we've established that! ;)

Narcoleptic cria = the funniest/cutest thing EVER.

"Necropsy is not a recommended diagnostic test"

:sendoff:

Cr4EySO.gif

Not really a "learned in vet school", but something that I have realized....

I don't know why but Ziehl-Neelsen staining always reminds me of Liam Neeson...

"Mycobacterium, I can't see you, but I have acquired a very specific stain. A stain that makes me a nightmare for bacteria like you. If you leave that macrophage now, that will be the end of it, I will not look for you. But if you don't, I will use this stain, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Studying for pathology is going well.... :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Not really a "learned in vet school", but something that I have realized....

I don't know why but Ziehl-Neelsen staining always reminds me of Liam Neeson...

"Mycobacterium, I can't see you, but I have acquired a very specific stain. A stain that makes me a nightmare for bacteria like you. If you leave that macrophage now, that will be the end of it, I will not look for you. But if you don't, I will use this stain, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Studying for pathology is going well.... :laugh:

So I showed this to my bf cause it made me laugh. He totally is reminded of Liam Neeson as well and really appreciated this.

I kind of like our anesthesia professor's notes.... he puts in funny little tid-bits that if you aren't really reading/paying attention you might miss, such as this:

"Induction to anesthesia in large animals incurs the risk of being flattened. It is important that assistants remain vigilant during induction, stand in the correct position, and are aware that anything can go wrong." :laugh:

I kind of like our anesthesia professor's notes.... he puts in funny little tid-bits that if you aren't really reading/paying attention you might miss, such as this:

"Induction to anesthesia in large animals incurs the risk of being flattened. It is important that assistants remain vigilant during induction, stand in the correct position, and are aware that anything can go wrong." :laugh:

Hahah. Kind of reminds me of our one path professor, who sadly is retiring after this year. He inserted a picture of what looked like birds into the middle of his powerpoint. He then told us it was loaves of bread with feathers in it. Then quickly proceeded onto the next topic. It took us like ten seconds to be like "wait...what???"

Today in vet school I learned that as a bull ejaculates, he wiggles his dewclaws. :laugh:

Bumping this now that some of us are starting up after break.

TIVSIL: that you may have been destined to be the next John Lennon, but if you become infected with T. canis, you'll end up as Drake.

Geriatric pets are like desiccated little raisins and neonates are like plump grapes.

ETA: And redhead has been abducted by aliens. (I love our comp med prof.)

Last edited:
I'm compiling a list of my favorite words that I've learned. So far, my favorites are:

gubernaculum
infundibulum
scutiform

anything to add?

I'm compiling a list of my favorite words that I've learned. So far, my favorites are:

gubernaculum
infundibulum
scutiform

anything to add?

Gubernaculum and pedunculated are my all time favorite vet words! So glad someone else has a list.

(From a powerpoint slide) "The most effective therapy for infertility is intrauterine semen."

Today in vet school I learned that nobody can state the obvious with quite as much class as a Repro prof. ;)

Today I learned why my dog insists on going to the bathroom immediately after eating dinner.

Today I learned why my dog insists on going to the bathroom immediately after eating dinner.

Gastrocolic reflex? We talked all about "evacuating the colon" in phys last week. ;)

Gastrocolic reflex? We talked all about "evacuating the colon" in phys last week. ;)

Yup! I always told him that it couldn't travel through him that fast...lol!

Human Medicine: Health at any cost.

Veterinary Medicine : Health at what cost?

There is a thing called Love Mash. That's not just what people call it, that's what the company actually decided to call it. And I think it's hilarious that on the company's web page it lists it this way: "Love Mash™ Rodent Reproductive Diet - Sterile". (underlining mine). I know what they mean by sterile, but the juxtaposition is just awesome.

I learned in Immunology that neutrophils "live fast and die young".

Reactions: 3 users
Today we learned about hydatid cysts again. Nothing better than a good vid of one in a brain to make a class go "ewww"!

(I love parasit)

If you love parasit and want a video to make people go 'ewwww' go hunt on youtube for a video of heartworm removal in a dog with caval syndrome. There are a few really awesomely icky ones guaranteed to make most people (at least, non vet students) uncomfortable.