Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also received my acceptance last Thursday. Were you interviewed on May 13th? I was and I'm curious if we were in the same interview cohort. There is a Facebook page. Just search for "Touro COM Class of 2017". I sent my request to join but it has yet to be accepted.
Hi! Yes, I was interviewed on the 13th! And thank you for the information. I am so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

I also received my acceptance last Thursday. Were you interviewed on May 13th? I was and I'm curious if we were in the same interview cohort. There is a Facebook page. Just search for "Touro COM Class of 2017". I sent my request to join but it has yet to be accepted.
One more question. If you don't mind me asking, how do you plan to commute to the school? I live in Queens so I am not sure if I should commute from there. It takes around an hour.

Does anyone know how many total students were accepted to the Masters? If not exact, what is a ballpark estimation, 40? 80?

Members don't see this ad :)
One more question. If you don't mind me asking, how do you plan to commute to the school? I live in Queens so I am not sure if I should commute from there. It takes around an hour.

The commute is manageable but in my opinion, every minute will count in med school. You will be spending 2 hours of your day commuting, if the trains are running well. You also spend time getting all your stuff ready to leave and all that. That is a lot of precious study time gone.

I was hoping to find an apartment within walking distance (one to two miles) to the college. Anyone have any advice about which apartments might be better? Or if walking distance isn't the best idea? I'm still on the waitlist, but hopeful that good news will be coming my way soon. I currently live in Reno, Nevada so I am trying to get as many ducks in a row as possible.

Could someone please please be a doll and let me know what the secondary questions were?

Could someone please please be a doll and let me know what the secondary questions were?

Here she is:

Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Please describe any interruption in your educational timeline, if any.

Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor?

Have you ever been on probation, suspended or dismissed from any college you have attended?

Here she is:

Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Please describe any interruption in your educational timeline, if any.

Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor?

Have you ever been on probation, suspended or dismissed from any college you have attended?

thanks!

I was hoping to find an apartment within walking distance (one to two miles) to the college. Anyone have any advice about which apartments might be better? Or if walking distance isn't the best idea? I'm still on the waitlist, but hopeful that good news will be coming my way soon. I currently live in Reno, Nevada so I am trying to get as many ducks in a row as possible.

You will definitely be able to find something within half a mile. There are just so many buildings...just get on it fast!

You will definitely be able to find something within half a mile. There are just so many buildings...just get on it fast!
Thanks! I would love to get on an apartment fast! Now if Touro would be kind enough to send me an acceptance letter this month that would be amazing ;-)

Do you know if the area is a good area to be living in? I don't know much about New York City. Thanks!

Thanks! I would love to get on an apartment fast! Now if Touro would be kind enough to send me an acceptance letter this month that would be amazing ;-)

Do you know if the area is a good area to be living in? I don't know much about New York City. Thanks!

Yea it is good. Manhattan is super safe. The area is slowly becoming gentrified and there are new stores/apt. buildings popping up all over.

Has anyone ever asked Touro about their acceptable list of Behavioural Science classes? The website is pretty vague and only lists a few of the generic ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever asked Touro about their acceptable list of Behavioural Science classes? The website is pretty vague and only lists a few of the generic ones.
I am not sure if they care which ones you take as long as you have six credits worth of classes. I took General Psychology (PSY 101) Advanced Human Sexuality (HDFS 430) and Lesbian/Gay Lives (SW 462).

That's what I thought too. Maybe for people accepted after May? Or Master students? I think I saw somewhere that they hold a certain number of spots for master students.

Yeah I believe for those students the deadline is June 14. Don't quote me on it though.

Mr. Ruiz said its a second deposit in addition to the one by the first deadline. It might be the first one for master's students.

Hey, I got accepted to Touro about two weeks ago. I will be moving from Texas. Anyone know when the deposits are due and what places one can live in. Also, is there a facebook group? Thanks

Hey, I got accepted to Touro about two weeks ago. I will be moving from Texas. Anyone know when the deposits are due and what places one can live in. Also, is there a facebook group? Thanks

Welcome!

Search Touro COM NY 2017 in FaceBook and the group will come up. Someone will accept you once you put the request in. The group has a lot of info about places to live and all of that. Deposits and all of that kind of stuff can be found on the website and again on the FB page.

Welcome!

Search Touro COM NY 2017 in FaceBook and the group will come up. Someone will accept you once you put the request in. The group has a lot of info about places to live and all of that. Deposits and all of that kind of stuff can be found on the website and again on the FB page.
Is that for the D.O. class or the masters class?

Hey Everyone!

I will try this again! I was in the Master's Program and will be a first year in the fall! I am currently looking for the female roommate. I would need someone by July 1st, this would be perfect for someone who is taking the summer anatomy or histology course( WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!). My apartment is a 5 minute walk from school! Rent is 1100 per month for your share message me for more info! Thanks!!

Hey Everyone!

I will try this again! I was in the Master's Program and will be a first year in the fall! I am currently looking for the female roommate. I would need someone by July 1st, this would be perfect for someone who is taking the summer anatomy or histology course( WHICH I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!). My apartment is a 5 minute walk from school! Rent is 1100 per month for your share message me for more info! Thanks!!

I would love to help you out! Unfortunately, I am still in wait list limbo. So until I get accepted, I can't look for any apartments. Where is yours located for when I do get to start looking? (I'm very hopeful). Hope you find a new roommate soon!

I would love to help you out! Unfortunately, I am still in wait list limbo. So until I get accepted, I can't look for any apartments. Where is yours located for when I do get to start looking? (I'm very hopeful). Hope you find a new roommate soon!

Hi,
I am also wait-listed and am avidly hoping for an acceptance. i love your positive attitude. may i ask, do you have reason to be so positive? is the wait-list expected to move much at this point? thanks and good luck!

Nope, just very hopeful. But since there is nothing else I can really do of (that I know of???) at this point, positive thinking is all I have going for me. I would love to hear something sooner rather than later since I will be moving from Reno, Nevada and would like to have a little bit of time to get there. I haven't heard anything about movement in the waitlist, but the way I look at it is, there is still a little more than a month left before school starts. With that, there is a lot of potential for movement with others getting acceptances to other schools from waitlists and taking those spots instead, which would open up spots at TOURO COM for us! I have sent Mr. Ruiz an e-mail regarding my continued interest.

Has anyone heard anything? Classes start in just over 3 weeks...

Any idea when we can expect to hear anything or if any more movement is expected? I have not received any emails or updates since the email saying I was wait listed...

I have no idea. I haven't heard anything since my waitlist e-mail in May. I know one of the guys who came in to answer questions for us was a first year and said he got a call the first day of school that he had a spot. So really, who knows what kind of movement there might be.

I have no idea. I haven't heard anything since my waitlist e-mail in May. I know one of the guys who came in to answer questions for us was a first year and said he got a call the first day of school that he had a spot. So really, who knows what kind of movement there might be.

Do you know when orientation is this year?

I withdrew my acceptance july 1st, because i was accepted to another school closer to my family. Hopefully someone deserving gets the spot. Just leaving some hope for those of you anxiously waiting.

I withdrew my acceptance july 1st, because i was accepted to another school closer to my family. Hopefully someone deserving gets the spot. Just leaving some hope for those of you anxiously waiting.

Congratulations!! And thank you for the update! It is hard not knowing if there is any movement.

Has anyone received any update since May? Have they shortened the wait list or anything? It'd be nice to know how likely or unlikely any future movement is...

Nothing other than what people have posted on here. I wonder if there is a contact person at TOURO COM who would be able to give out that information?

Nothing other than what people have posted on here. I wonder if there is a contact person at TOURO COM who would be able to give out that information?

I called on Monday and they said they expect to make a few calls this week. I think there is still hope. Otherwise we will have to wait for whatever happens literally last minute.

Calls? I thought they notify via email...or do you mean calls re deposits and if people are accepting?

Looks like I will be keeping my phone VERY close to me for the rest of the week.

Looks like I will be keeping my phone VERY close to me for the rest of the week.

It's definitely by phone. The director said he will be making phone calls based on committee decisions made earlier this week.

Has anyone heard anything yet? Was it for sure they were making calls this week?

I haven't heard anything. There has been little movement as is on the waitlist. I would call tomorrow and inquire about the roster finalization and any associated waitlist movement.

hi,

can someone with knowledge about Touro NYC speak to some of the pros and cons of the school? other than being in NYC, why do people want to go here? just looking for insight and info. thanks!

seems like Touro NV provides monthly or frequent updates...since the waitlist email I haven't heard one thing...it'd be nice to know if there's movement or where we stand...

@Herewego2013,

The fact that it is in NYC is definitely a big draw especially considering that it is centered in the Harlem community which it serves. Outside of the advantages of it's location, the reputation of Touro is rising very fast. In addition to Touro-NY's Match success, Touro is becoming a nationwide name in medical education with its existing campuses in NV and CA, recent acquisition of NYMC and opening of a new campus in Orange County, NY (which definitely needs it-I'm from the area). With that, I haven't heard much bad press about these schools, meaning that they are probably placed and managed pretty well. The mission/goals of Touro-Harlem, in my opinion, are some of the most targeted objectives of many medical schools in the country (more than just the "educating physicians and investigators of tomorrow" line), and the school's class sizes permit much collaboration between the administrators, faculty and the community. Lastly, I was surprised by the state-of-the-art facilities that they had. From my experiences touring medical schools in the Northeast (MD and DO), their facilities rivaled and, perhaps, were better than most.

This is all my opinion, of course, but I'd think that most people would agree that Touro-Harlem is a school that is taking more steps forward than back as it continues to establish itself in NYC. Hope this helps!

...so, how about that waitlist? ;)

Last edited:
I was very impressed and intrigued by the teaching style of Touro COM. I like the idea of being able to watch the lectures on my own time, as well as being able to pause, rewind, etc. I also like that they being to prep you for the boards right away with their questions being in the same style as the boards. It would seem that it is good for the "self-starter" type students, more so than the students who need to be in the classroom to pay attention. But I could be way off with that part, it was just my impression. Overall, the school seems to be very much in line with current technology, and really want their students to succeed.

Regarding the wait list: I spoke to Mr. Ruiz this morning. He indicated that there has been very little movement this year on the wait list. He said this week he only called two people. He did say that the committee gets the list of wait listed students (I meant to ask how many students are on the wait list, but I forgot) and they give him four students to call. If those four all have accepted seats somewhere else and do not want to accept to Touro COM, then it goes back to the committee and they give him four new names.

He did say that there is still hope.

Is it true what they say about Touro and the biology section of the MCAT ? They won't look at you unless you have a 10 or above?