Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II! Any advice on how to prep for the interview?
Hey what were your stats if you dont mind me asking? Also when were you complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Those who recently got an interview invite, if you can, I got a coupon for $60 off if you book a hotel before Monday on hotels.com. Use the code EMNEWYEAR60US
Good luck to all those interviewing! BTW, when I interviewed I stayed at the Da Vinci hotel. It was a block away from the subway and it literally took me about 10 minutes to get to the interview (Harlem campus)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II! Any advice on how to prep for the interview?
Know your application very well, its open file so they legit point to stuff and ask about it. And don't forget the basics: Why DO, Why Touro, Why Harlem (or Middletown I'm sure). The interview is pretty laid back for the most part, just be prepared to answer questions on the particular drawback(s) of your application (i.e. failing a course in undergrad) that sort of stuff. Good luck!

Know your application very well, its open file so they legit point to stuff and ask about it. And don't forget the basics: Why DO, Why Touro, Why Harlem (or Middletown I'm sure). The interview is pretty laid back for the most part, just be prepared to answer questions on the particular drawback(s) of your application (i.e. failing a course in undergrad) that sort of stuff. Good luck!

Anyone know rough estimate of what percentage of interviewees they accept? Interview next week. Excited.

Anyone know rough estimate of what percentage of interviewees they accept? Interview next week. It's my top choice.
Hard to say, (i'm only going by what I know) but from my AM interview group of I want to say 12-16 applicants, I only see two others in the accepted facebook group. So those two plus myself 3/12-16, but you need to factor in those who got in but didn't join the facebook group. Also, that is just the AM group from a November interview date, there was also a PM group and I have no idea how many got in from that group.

It's just better and easier on yourself if you don't think about that stuff. Be the best you can be on interview day and expect nothing afterward. That's my policy, and its saved me a great deal of heartache ( but only up until the day and hours before I got my acceptance email tho haha).

Good luck!!

Hard to say, (i'm only going by what I know) but from my AM interview group of I want to say 12-16 applicants, I only see two others in the accepted facebook group. So those two plus myself 3/12-16, but you need to factor in those who got in but didn't join the facebook group. Also, that is just the AM group from a November interview date, there was also a PM group and I have no idea how many got in from that group.

It's just better and easier on yourself if you don't think about that stuff. Be the best you can be on interview day and expect nothing afterward. That's my policy, and its saved me a great deal of heartache ( but only up until the day and hours before I got my acceptance email tho haha).

Good luck!!

You're supposed to say that nearly everyone gets accepted! ;). Thanks. Fingers crossed. Really want it!

Anyone complete first week December hear back yet? Their complete email asks to wait 2 weeks before calling admissions to ask for status updates. Is it too early to call?

Anyone complete first week December hear back yet? Their complete email asks to wait 2 weeks before calling admissions to ask for status updates. Is it too early to call?

I was complete on 12/08 and heard back 1/05 if that helps

3.4gpa, 26 mcat, 180 hours of lab research, 120 hours shadowing, 70 hours as leader of a club. Is it my MCAT thats holding me back?

I was thinking the same things as stated above, that it is probably your mcat. What I heard from students and even interviewees is that Touro NY places a pretty heavy weight on the MCAT, looking ideally to accept ppl with 30 and up. I think for Harlem the stats for thier last year class was 30.1 MCAT average. But needless to say, just hang tight, thats not a hard and fast rule.

3.4gpa, 26 mcat, 180 hours of lab research, 120 hours shadowing, 70 hours as leader of a club. Is it my MCAT thats holding me back?
I was thinking the same things as stated above, that it is probably your mcat. What I heard from students and even interviewees is that Touro NY places a pretty heavy weight on the MCAT, looking ideally to accept ppl with 30 and up. I think for Harlem the stats for thier last year class was 30.1 MCAT average. But needless to say, just hang tight, thats not a hard and fast rule.
I also think it depends on the campus you picked. I think the Harlem campus is less lenient for a lower MCAT, but the Middleton one will allow a little more leeway. I am not entirely sure on that though

Members don't see this ad :)
It's largely about your communication skills. What you say can help if it's a very good answer or can hurt you if it's a stupid answer. Otherwise generic answers wont affect anything and it's almost entirely how you say it that matters.

Hey accepted students...anyone receive the follow up email that's supposed to be sent sometime in January?

Just wanted to let everyone know I called the office a few weeks ago and they said they were waiting to send any follow-up stuff until later on when they were further into interviewing.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone with an ii in January know when we should be expecting decisions? Or for anyone that has already received a decision: how long after your ii until you heard back?

Does anyone know when the absolute last day to complete pre-requisites are? I'm missing the two social science classes, and I'm freaking out because I'm not able to sign up for these courses at a community college next semester. I know they offer the courses over the summer and the class is done by 7/2 or 7/3. Is that too late? I'm having a panic attack about this, so any help is appreciated.

Does anyone know when the absolute last day to complete pre-requisites are? I'm missing the two social science classes, and I'm freaking out because I'm not able to sign up for these courses at a community college next semester. I know they offer the courses over the summer and the class is done by 7/2 or 7/3. Is that too late? I'm having a panic attack about this, so any help is appreciated.

For almost every medical school, the pre-requisites must be completed prior to matriculation. You should be fine.

Anyone with an ii in January know when we should be expecting decisions? Or for anyone that has already received a decision: how long after your ii until you heard back?
I interviewed on a Monday and received my decision on Friday, this was early November

Did they tell you about your pre reas you still need or was that something you dug up?

Can't you do those online? Do you live in NYS? Google "SUNY online courses." So many options. So many.

Hey, guys. Non-trad here. Excited about interviewing this week. Any of you heard anything specific about the non-trad experience at Touro? I've seen demographic info (entering class btw 20-40), but I haven't been able to find much else specific. It's my top choice any way you cut it, but I'm hoping one of you has heard something.

Thanks!

I asked about the demographics when i interviewed at middletown and know there are 5 or 6 students that have families there currently. there was a man who interviewed with us who was a rabbi with a family and spent his time doing services at prisons. also there is a student there currently who I had the pleasure of meeting who was a business major in undergrad. I dont think they frown upon the non traditional student at all. just be able to speak on your experiences and how you will be fitted for the osteopathic physician profession and you should be fine.

I asked about the demographics when i interviewed at middletown and know there are 5 or 6 students that have families there currently. there was a man who interviewed with us who was a rabbi with a family and spent his time doing services at prisons. also there is a student there currently who I had the pleasure of meeting who was a business major in undergrad. I dont think they frown upon the non traditional student at all. just be able to speak on your experiences and how you will be fitted for the osteopathic physician profession and you should be fine.

Thanks, buddy. Fingers crossed! Excited. Really want to go.

Hey, guys. Non-trad here. Excited about interviewing this week. Any of you heard anything specific about the non-trad experience at Touro? I've seen demographic info (entering class btw 20-40), but I haven't been able to find much else specific. It's my top choice any way you cut it, but I'm hoping one of you has heard something.

Thanks!

I'm a not traditional student, and I was accepted in November. I obviously can't speak of taking the classes yet, but I can tell you that they're not afraid of someone with a less trad. background if you can explain why it'll make you a better doctor. I'm 30, and I was an art-major before choosing to pursue a medical career. We spent more time in the interview talking about art than anything else. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal for Touro college/university until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...

If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal for Touro college/university until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...
I don't believe Touro NY uses the portal at all for admissions purpose. You will only be updated on your status through emails. When was your application complete? If it's been a few months, you should give them a call or email to ask about your status.

I'm a not traditional student, and I was accepted in November. I obviously can't speak of taking the classes yet, but I can tell you that they're not afraid of someone with a less trad. background if you can explain why it'll make you a better doctor. I'm 30, and I was an art-major before choosing to pursue a medical career. We spent more time in the interview talking about art than anything else. Good luck.

Thanks. Really loved it. Would go without a doubt if accepted. Just not sure what to expect. One interviewer seemed to like me and one seemed very skeptical of me. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. Really loved it. Would go without a doubt if accepted. Just not sure what to expect. One interviewer seemed to like me and one seemed very skeptical of me. Fingers crossed.
They good cop bad cop everyone

Reactions: 2 users
I just got an invite to complete the secondary application...is this a waste as it is already so late in the application process?

I just got an invite to complete the secondary application...is this a waste as it is already so late in the application process?

You can't get in if you don't apply. Many people are saying they got ii invites just a few weeks after submitting their secondary. It also depends if you have good GPA, MCAT, and EC. If you don't, it's probably a little late.

You can't get in if you don't apply. Many people are saying they got ii invites just a few weeks after submitting their secondary. It also depends if you have good GPA, MCAT, and EC. If you don't, it's probably a little late.

I just received a secondary as well. I've retaken some classes since I submitted my primary and now my GPA is like 3.15c, and 2.99s with a 32 MCAT and decent EC with solid letters I'd imagine. My grades updated just Thursday so it makes sense that they would hold out on sending me a secondary as I didn't hit their min sGPA.

I'd love to go there so I'm fairly certain I'll apply, but what do you think the chances of actually getting a II is?

I just received a secondary as well. I've retaken some classes since I submitted my primary and now my GPA is like 3.15c, and 2.99s with a 32 MCAT and decent EC with solid letters I'd imagine. My grades updated just Thursday so it makes sense that they would hold out on sending me a secondary as I didn't hit their min sGPA.

I'd love to go there so I'm fairly certain I'll apply, but what do you think the chances of actually getting a II is?
The hearsay is that most people who receive a secondary will be invited to interviews, since Touro heavily screens pre-secondary. I would get the essay sent out as soon as possible. However, you should also be mindful that it is quite late into the cycle and the classes in either Harlem or Middletown campuses are getting filled up very soon.

Also received a secondary today!

Hey guys! I have an interview coming up here and was wondering what the interview process was like. I heard it was a panel interview with two faculty members but I am curious as to the questions. Do they have a fixed set of questions or is it different from person to person?

Hey guys! I have an interview coming up here and was wondering what the interview process was like. I heard it was a panel interview with two faculty members but I am curious as to the questions. Do they have a fixed set of questions or is it different from person to person?

When I interviewed they had 4 rooms, each with 2 interviewers and the questions really depend on which room you're in. They get very specific into your application, so if you did something like research, you better know your research inside and out, otherwise they'll chew you up. Most play good cop / bad cop but some run a very easygoing interview. Just come prepared to talk about your experiences and you'll do well.

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed they had 4 rooms, each with 2 interviewers and the questions really depend on which room you're in. They get very specific into your application, so if you did something like research, you better know your research inside and out, otherwise they'll chew you up. Most play good cop / bad cop but some run a very easygoing interview. Just come prepared to talk about your experiences and you'll do well.
Wait so do you interview in 4 rooms with 2 faculty a room or do you just go into one of the four rooms?

Question for those who already interviewed here:

I am scheduled to interview tomorrow from 8am - 2pm. Is it possible to leave the interview day early - say around 1 PM? There's a scheduled blizzard to hit NYC tomorrow so I am trying to catch an earlier flight if possible.

Thanks!

Question for those who already interviewed here:

I am scheduled to interview tomorrow from 8am - 2pm. Is it possible to leave the interview day early - say around 1 PM? There's a scheduled blizzard to hit NYC tomorrow so I am trying to catch an earlier flight if possible.

Thanks!

I've heard a different order for different interviews, so I cannot give you a solid answer. My interview day went like this: introductions and food, message from the dean, financial aid presentation, student psych services presentation, Q&A with admissions, mock lecture, campus tour, then finally the interview. If you're called in early for interview, you might be able to leave early. I would explain your situation as soon as you get there and they will probably accommodate you.

I've heard a different order for different interviews, so I cannot give you a solid answer. My interview day went like this: introductions and food, message from the dean, financial aid presentation, student psych services presentation, Q&A with admissions, mock lecture, campus tour, then finally the interview. If you're called in early for interview, you might be able to leave early. I would explain your situation as soon as you get there and they will probably accommodate you.

Thanks for replying! I agree, that seems like the best plan of action.

I posted this in the Osteopathic forum but I didn't get any response. Could a current student provide some insight onto the current status of the rotation sites? I've scoured through DocEspana's posts in the past regarding rotation sites, particularly Harlem hospital. However, he had mentioned that Touro+Columbia had basically been able to kick out the Carib schools? Unfortunately since he graduated in 2013, I haven't really been able to find any other reliable source of information, and I didn't hear any sort of update on my interview day.

I posted this in the Osteopathic forum but I didn't get any response. Could a current student provide some insight onto the current status of the rotation sites? I've scoured through DocEspana's posts in the past regarding rotation sites, particularly Harlem hospital. However, he had mentioned that Touro+Columbia had basically been able to kick out the Carib schools? Unfortunately since he graduated in 2013, I haven't really been able to find any other reliable source of information, and I didn't hear any sort of update on my interview day.
So my only concern with this school is also rotations, I asked @DrEnderW (a current 2nd year) about it and this is what he/she said:

"You're right that I don't have a ton of experience with the rotation sites yet. In my opinion, no DO schools are going to have the rotation sites of a huge academic MD program. As you probably know, the three main ones for Touro are NJ consortium, Trinitas, and Staten Island. There are smaller amounts of students at Orange Regional Medical Center, Nyak Hospital, and maybe catskills (not sure about that one), and new this year is Kingsbrook is Brooklyn. I actually know nothing about St. Johns and don't believe it is offered to us anymore. We are also getting Jersey City Medical Center

There are going to be pros and cons of each... none of them are perfect. How it works is that you get assigned a random lottery number and get to rank your top sites and they use an algorithm (similar to the residency match one) that tries to place everyone with their top choice. I believe low 90s % get their first pick. It's important to pick what you think is best for you. For example, I'm interested in surgery and surg subspecialties so I want to do NJ because it has DO surgeons and AOA surgical residencies. For someone interested in EM, Staten may be best because its a Level 1 Trauma Center.

This website has the info on NJ (it's looks like the main website but notice it's not .edu):

http://tourocom.com/

This site has a map of many of them:

http://www.tourocomsga.com/rotations/rotation-site-map/

So I guess to answer your question directly, yes there is reason to have some concern. I'd be concerned attending an DO school compared to an MD school. There will be minor inconveniences but hopefully nothing major. I'm going to choose NJ and am happy with that choice. Trinitas is also a very strong site - some 3rd years just met with us and both students delivered babies, cut the cord, etc the first day of OB/GYN and are already intubating patients, etc in EM. Rotations will be what you make it and remember, audition rotations are what matters in the AOA world if you end up going that route."

I hope he/she doesn't mind me posting this, but I found this helpful and I'd imagine anyone considering matriculating would also find this info invaluable.

Edit: my .02$ in regards to rotations is at DO schools, and more specifically at DO schools without their own core hospital sites (such as Touro) is you will have to be aggressive in a sense to receive a decent quality of education. Whereas at MD schools and the DO schools with core hospital affiliations, you receive your clinical rotation knowledge more passively. Reading thru @MiaMia14 post (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/4th-year-do-student-answering-questions.1113290/) I think you'll get a better understanding of what I mean. Schools such as her's (LMU-DCOM) to a greater extent and (hopefully) Touro to a lesser extent have rotation sites that are less than ideal when it comes to learning. Whether it be the facility itself or a hospital staff that is less willing/committed to teaching, there is a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
is it not the case that most Middletown students will be rotating at Orange? or did they really just play that up at my interview to sell us on the program?

is it not the case that most Middletown students will be rotating at Orange? or did they really just play that up at my interview to sell us on the program?
I can't say that I know anything for sure, but I'd imagine it depends on if Orange is authorized/approved to rotate all its students thru all core rotation requirements. But even before that I'd imagine it depends on if Orange provides all services (i.e. Psychiatry, etc). I would expect since Orange is approved for EM and FM residencies, all Middletown students would do those rotations there. I'd definitely call them up and ask for specifics if I was going there.

Anyone who has been accepted recieved any follow-up information from Touro?

im going up to middletown in the next few weeks to look at potential houses/apartments to rent for school.

anyone interested in getting a place and not living in the dorms?

ive got a few people who say maybe but just throwing it out there one last time if theres anyone else thats pretty set on middletown and wants to get a place that has its own kitchen and doesnt want to live in a closet