UC Davis c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I'm a Pierce College alumnus and helped plan your day here on Tuesday. I'll also be one of the students leading you around and eating lunch with you guys. I'll also, of course, be at the dinner the night you guys get in to town :D

I will be sure to introduce myself. I think I am the only member that is actually applying this cycle, but I could be wrong. Be kind to Doc. He has had a rough year! ;)

By the way, thanks for choosing a couple really interesting classes for us to sit in this year. I almost dozed off in Cardiology last year. Just kidding... but seriously. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I will be sure to introduce myself. I think I am the only member that is actually applying this cycle, but I could be wrong. Be kind to Doc. He has had a rough year! ;)

By the way, thanks for choosing a couple really interesting classes for us to sit in this year. I almost dozed off in Cardiology last year. Just kidding... but seriously. :laugh:

Oh I know, poor Doc. Well, I don't know anything about the first year class you'll be sitting in, but you guys should enjoy Advanced Small Animal Ultrasound. It's an interesting class with an amazing professor! :)

By the way, good luck to everyone waiting to hear!! I know how hard it is, but before you know you'll be a third year looking towards clinics... :D

Anyone know around when we should hear about interview invites? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a meeting with some of the admissions folks today and from comments made, they will be sent out around the same time as previously. So keep crossing those fingers till around the second week of February....

I also applied to UCD this year (IS). This is my first application cycle, and I'm honestly not sure which is worse -- the application itself or the >4 months of waiting.

It is also my first time (IS as well). I've decided waiting is okay. Getting a rejection would be the worst thing in my opinion!

First time applying (IS), totally agree with the waiting is better than the rejection. Though I feel like I am getting rejected anyways, so why not just get it over with. :/

He, we've waited years for this opportunity. What's another few weeks? Good luck, my friends!!

By the way, I just returned from a multi-day visit to Davis which included time spent with current students of their SVM and extensive tours of their facilities. My experience only strengthened and re-energized my resolve to embark upon the next phase of this journey as one of their classmates. What a wonderful place to prepare oneself for a career in veterinary medicine. :love:

So has anyone heard about a possible date when IS will start hearing from Davis? I know some OOS have heard from them.

So has anyone heard about a possible date when IS will start hearing from Davis? I know some OOS have heard from them.

Second week of February was the approximation provided by the admissions adviser. :sleep:

Not sure whether they've changed their plan since publication, but the California Veterinarian magazine that we just got says that Davis interviews will begin on February 22, 2012...

Members don't see this ad :)
Very excited!! We'll be hearing before we know it :)

Hey guys - Just a message from a current 3rd year living with a current 1st year at Davis... I have gotten to see both curricula since I live with a first year and although there is still some fine-tuning to be done, the first years are helping Davis transition to what is going to be FABULOUS!! You guys get into the VMTH (teaching hospital) from your first semester and you get hands-on labs, electives and experience from the beginning. These changes are really exciting! :) Good luck to everyone applying - have faith in yourself, be confident in reasons you want to go to Davis, and SMILE!! They ask you to come interview bc they WANT you there. All you have to do is be you because that's why they asked you to come! :)

Yep just heard the interviews will be starting the week after President's day Feb 21- mid-March, which means if it's like our process last year then the interview orientation workshop will be Saturday before (Feb 18th), and you should start getting your interview invites next week. Good Luck!

Gah! I'm super nervous now that the dates for interviews are FINALLY drawing near. :scared:

Next week may just be torture....

We just need to busy ourselves so that their wonderful emails come when we least expect them! Anyone know when rejections come out? =/

We just need to busy ourselves so that their wonderful emails come when we least expect them! Anyone know when rejections come out? =/

It's all an enigma. I have yet to find anyone that can sufficiently explain to me why UC-Davis takes months longer than most programs to review files. :luck:

Because they're UC Davis and have an impeccable reputation, thus can pretty much get away with whatever they want! Haha. Took a long time to hear from them for undergrad too... it's typical of a UC system.

I already got my rejection...check the official rejections thread. I think there are others that have already been rejected too.

Good luck guys! :luck:

p.s. I'm still lurking on this thread b/c my friend (who's not an SDNer) is still waiting to hear from UC-Davis and I'm curious to see when people start getting interview invites and such.

Because they're UC Davis and have an impeccable reputation, thus can pretty much get away with whatever they want! Haha. Took a long time to hear from them for undergrad too... it's typical of a UC system.

Do they just procrastinate looking at the files, letting them collect dust while the other schools put together their classes? Do they take their time and really, really give a thorough perusal of all apps? Do they outsource the process to a developing nation or input all data into a very complex algorithm that only a single savant understands how to operate? Do staff members' infants sit on our files in place of booster seats? Or perhaps they hire people to hang out on Student Doctor Network to match-up up applicants with screen names and monitor who whines the most about the lengthy process as a final variable in their rendering of a decision. Hmmmm....

All I know is that every schools shares the same application deadline. And Davis doesn't even have a supplemental. Oh yeah, and for the record, my name is Brittney Rodriguez from da Valley. :smuggrin:

Oh yeah, and for the record, my name is Brittney Rodriguez from da Valley. :smuggrin:

You are totally lying. Davis doesnt want dishonest students!!! Negative brownie points against you!!!

Hahaha, the valley of... Los Angeles? And is that why your SDN profile says male, Brittney? In all seriousness, California is suffering from a lack of funding. It would not surprise me one bit if their admissions committee was actually small compared to the number of applicants they have to go through. Also, if you think this is a long wait, I won't hear from University College Dublin until late March or April!

August does some sneaky things, like put my file on the bottom of the stack. Wouldn't surprise me if he had it out for some poor pre vet in his class :D

Hahaha, the valley of... Los Angeles? And is that why your SDN profile says male, Brittney? In all seriousness, California is suffering from a lack of funding. It would not surprise me one bit if their admissions committee was actually small compared to the number of applicants they have to go through. Also, if you think this is a long wait, I won't hear from University College Dublin until late March or April!

mooshagen = Davis employee

:laugh:

Hahaha! No, but if a Davis employee were reading our posts they would like my optimism :)

August does some sneaky things, like put my file on the bottom of the stack. Wouldn't surprise me if he had it out for some poor pre vet in his class :D

C'mon. Brittany bailed on me like twice for sheep clean-up duty at the red barn. Girl had this coming!!!

C'mon. Brittany bailed on me like twice for sheep clean-up duty at the red barn. Girl had this coming!!!

I KNEW IT!!!!! DIRTY PLAYER!!

Even though id say she deserved it...

In all seriousness, California is suffering from a lack of funding. It would not surprise me one bit if their admissions committee was actually small compared to the number of applicants they have to go through.
mooshagen = Davis employee

:laugh:
Hahaha! No, but if a Davis employee were reading our posts they would like my optimism :)
I would believe it. There are a lot of UC employees out there ;)

My co-workers keep telling me to transfer to the Davis department "for an edge" LOL like there is one in Vet admissions! (I work at a UC, and boy that didn't help me last year) As far as funding, the undergrad committees are working double time to up the number of admitted students. Mostly for the tuition income. Of all the cuts I hear about, AdComs are never mentioned. Partly I think, because adcoms are just regular employees that get tasked to the committee without much compensation as they are salaried. But that's a guess and I still have no idea why it takes until March.

I'm not sure if this is why it takes so long . . . and I am slightly fuzzy on the exact details . . . but . . . I know Davis has a pretty unique application review process, and that's why it might take them longer:

The top 15% or so of applications (probably based almost solely on numbers, but who knows?) go straight into the "interview pile."

There is probably also some sort of "rejection pile" early on in the process too (I'm also guessing solely/mostly based on numbers).

The middle percentage - probably the majority of applications - get put into the "further review" pile. This pile then gets distributed to actual vets (alumni of the school) who volunteer to sift through these applications and advocate for certain ones to get a closer look by the admissions committee. So, if a practitioner in the community sees something in your application, it is looked at again by adcoms, who then decide if that person should end up getting an interview or not.

I think it's pretty cool that Davis operates in this fashion - from what know it is unique. Between specially training these alumni volunteers, getting them the applications, waiting for them to review them, hearing their input, and then re-reviewing the applications . . . it probably takes months. Hence the wait.

And the wait is definitely worth it :)

And the wait is definitely worth it :)

Thanks for the insights. I just sent out fruit baskets to every practicing Davis alum in a 500 mile radius. :xf:

In all seriousness, though: best of luck to all.

Thanks for the insights. I just sent out fruit baskets to every practicing Davis alum in a 500 mile radius. :xf:

In all seriousness, though: best of luck to all.

Fruit baskets?! I'd think you'd just go for the cash. :laugh:

Good luck everyone, and look, its already February! They can't hide from us for long!!

Yep just heard the interviews will be starting the week after President's day Feb 21- mid-March, which means if it's like our process last year then the interview orientation workshop will be Saturday before (Feb 18th), and you should start getting your interview invites next week. Good Luck!

Yeah, it's been confirmed that the Interviewee Orientation is scheduled for February 18th...so there won't be much more waiting!

Fingers crossed for you 2016ers! :xf:

Fruit baskets?! I'd think you'd just go for the cash. :laugh:

Good luck everyone, and look, its already February! They can't hide from us for long!!

Cash?!!! Have you seen Davis' tuition these days? :eek:

Oh my gosh! Some of us will hear this week! :xf: Good luck, everybody! I know how much we all want this.

The middle percentage - probably the majority of applications - get put into the "further review" pile. This pile then gets distributed to actual vets (alumni of the school) who volunteer to sift through these applications and advocate for certain ones to get a closer look by the admissions committee. So, if a practitioner in the community sees something in your application, it is looked at again by adcoms, who then decide if that person should end up getting an interview or not.

This is the "Admissions Advisory Committee." And I'd like you to tell some of our faculty members on the admissions committee that they are not also "actual vets." ;)

The admissions committee members are faculty* yall, not anyone they pay from outside. They aren't paid any extra to serve on a committee but it does count for their "service" requirement for tenure track faculty. However this does mean that they are insanely busy with their other responsibilities (research, clinical, teaching) as well!

*there is one DVM from general practice on the actual committee each year as well

If the orientation is scheduled for the 18th, would it not be reasonable to imagine that applicants will hear something by the end of the upcoming week, Friday the 10th, giving kids enough time to plan on getting to Davis the following week? :scared:

They'll likely start this week, but in the past they've invited people for interviews like right up to the day before the interview orientation - they send out the invitations in waves (no order) because they can only handle scheduling so many at once.

They'll likely start this week, but in the past they've invited people for interviews like right up to the day before the interview orientation - they send out the invitations in waves (no order) because they can only handle scheduling so many at once.

Thanks, nyanko. We've waited at least a couple years. What's a couple more weeks...? :cool:

This is the "Admissions Advisory Committee." And I'd like you to tell some of our faculty members on the admissions committee that they are not also "actual vets." ;)

The admissions committee members are faculty* yall, not anyone they pay from outside. They aren't paid any extra to serve on a committee but it does count for their "service" requirement for tenure track faculty. However this does mean that they are insanely busy with their other responsibilities (research, clinical, teaching) as well!

*there is one DVM from general practice on the actual committee each year as well

:laugh: Yes, using the phrase "actual vets" was really dumb. I guess I meant vets in the community/private practice.

Are you saying they don't have outside practitioners review applications (sorry, but I can't tell if you are disagreeing with me or not)? Because I am pretty close family friends with a DVM Davis alum who volunteers to review the "middle group" of applications.

Are you saying they don't have outside practitioners review applications (sorry, but I can't tell if you are disagreeing with me or not)? Because I am pretty close family friends with a DVM Davis alum who volunteers to review the "middle group" of applications.

No sorry, wasn't saying that. Just the name of the group of volunteers they train is the admissions advisory committee. I'm not sure if it is only made up of private practitioners or if there are some others on it too.

Im with the box, I just don't want a rejection or an interview on my birthday!!!! (the 21st)

Agreed! Ah! Happy second week of February, y'all!

I've got my fingers crossed for all ya'll - don't be expecting anything TOO soon....the final decisions are still in process but are CLOSE! Fingers crossed that your wait is almost over!