UC Davis c/o 2028 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone that received interview invites!! The Davis MMI was by far my most enjoyable interview experience, and they really just want you to focus on approaching each question/scenario as true to yourself as possible.

And to those that didn't receive invites, keep your head up and don't give up. Whether it's this cycle or the next, your journey's to vet school are far from over. I was rejected without interview from Davis the first time around, and now I'm halfway through my clinical year having just taken NAVLE. Sometimes it doesn't play out in the timeline or trajectory we expect, but it will happen nonetheless :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
OOS Reject: Just asked for file review... Overall GPA 3.86, Last 45 3.9, Science 3.9 :( 2000 Vet hours small clinic, 1200 equine, 500 goats, ruminants, chickens (food animals), LORS from 2 Vets I work with and 2 professors. Not sure what to do next... What is the travel distance score? I asked for a review. Any and all advice appreciated...

ALSO... Congratulations to all that received interview invitations.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Am I misunderstanding this, in my rejection it says 1966 people sent in applications but last year 900+ people did? So did the number just double from last year and previous years
yes, this is the first year uc davis didnt require the GRE so LOADS more people applied. like twice as hard rip. i personally didnt apply yo any schools that still require the GRE so im assuming that a lot of other people followed that thought process.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS Reject: Just asked for file review... Overall GPA 3.86, Last 45 3.9, Science 3.9 :( 2000 Vet hours small clinic, 1200 equine, 500 goats, ruminants, chickens (food animals), LORS from 2 Vets I work with and 2 professors. Not sure what to do next... What is the travel distance score? I asked for a review. Any and all advice appreciated...

ALSO... Congratulations to all that received interview invitations.

How did you ask for file review? Thru portal?

They just put out a statement that they don’t do file reviews. They said in the email yesterday they can answer specific questions but they don’t do file reviews. Last year they only interviewed 25 OOS so I’m sure it’s extremely competitive. Distance traveled from what I understand is kind of like your life path that got you here, so extra points to those who have difficult circumstances, extraordinary things in their story, etc. I remember on a webinar they said they can’t go into too much detail about what they look for in distance traveled so applicants don’t purposely fabricate that part of the application.

OOS rejection, higher GPAs than listed in message, so many hours in all types of species, strong eLORS too! Thinking distance travelled may have not helped my application... not sure how it works

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who received interview invites! I know there are a few UCD SVM students who monitor the chat so feel free to ask questions about the school/student life/academics!

For those who didn't get invites, this IS NOT the end of the road - there are so many excellent clinicians who took multiple tries to get in. This process can be a crap shoot sometimes and the "algorithm" isn't predictable so don't beat yourself up!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone who received interview invites! I know there are a few UCD SVM students who monitor the chat so feel free to ask questions about the school/student life/academics!
^^^ This

If anyone is applying to VSTP, feel free to post those questions here as well :)

Reactions: 1 users
With interviews coming up this week, how is everyone preparing? Ahhhhhh I do not feel ready!! 😭

For those who have interviewed, would you mind sharing some interview tips? Or did you feel nothing prepared you at all? lol

With interviews coming up this week, how is everyone preparing? Ahhhhhh I do not feel ready!!

For those who have interviewed, would you mind sharing some interview tips? Or did you feel nothing prepared you at all? lol
I've been working 1 on 1 with a DVM professor to do some mock interview questions. I've felt it's been SO helpful.

With interviews coming up this week, how is everyone preparing? Ahhhhhh I do not feel ready!! 😭

I’m so so nervous! I wish everyone the best of luck 😊 I’ve honestly just been looking up sample questions as much as I can. I still feel so underprepared!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
giphy.gif

Attempting to put out the dumpster fire that was my interview experience

• Care
Good luck to everyone on their interviews and if you've already had yours try not to overthink it! I know that there is a lot riding on these, but try to find ways to take care of yourself and relax during this stressful period. January will come sooner than you think!

LITERALLY SAME. I feel like I totally blew it!!
Seriously do not worry!! I was 100% positive that I blew mine! It was awful!! When I got the call offering me a spot, I came so close to asking the person if they were sure they dialed the right number. I now believe that they are just looking for confidence, and the ability to enter each new scenerio upbeat and relaxed, despite having been rattled in the prior one. Good luck!!

Does anyone have advice on how to prepare for the interviews? 😅

Seriously do not worry!! I was 100% positive that I blew mine! It was awful!! When I got the call offering me a spot, I came so close to asking the person if they were sure they dialed the right number. I now believe that they are just looking for confidence, and the ability to enter each new scenerio upbeat and relaxed, despite having been rattled in the prior one. Good luck!!
Thank you so much this actually makes me feel so much better 🥹🩷

I am unsure if someone can answer this question for me BUT .... with the interviews, I know that we have 3 minutes to review the scenario and then 7 minutes to talk with the rater. I read in the Interview Information that there are 3 questions per station. Do we see those 3 questions during the 3-minute prep time? Or do the raters ask you the questions one by one as you answer within the 7 minutes?
Please if anyone can let me know, that would be great and much appreciated it. Thanks in advance!

I am unsure if someone can answer this question for me BUT .... with the interviews, I know that we have 3 minutes to review the scenario and then 7 minutes to talk with the rater. I read in the Interview Information that there are 3 questions per station. Do we see those 3 questions during the 3-minute prep time? Or do the raters ask you the questions one by one as you answer within the 7 minutes?
Please if anyone can let me know, that would be great and much appreciated it. Thanks in advance!

questions are asked one by one within the 7 minutes!

like this comment if you think the Davis interview was more challenging than expected.

Reactions: 7 users
it was like questions i would never think they would ask. i was ????

it was like questions i would never think they would ask. i was ????
Literally! I had prepared for weeks and I genuinely felt like nothing I did could’ve prepared me for that interview. At least it’s comforting knowing it was a collective experience lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! I'm a bit late to the thread, but I just finished my first semester at the UC-Davis SVM and am definitely open to any questions about life/academics! I'm an OOS student and applied to a lot of schools, so I can also give my experience choosing where to go/factors to consider.

Also, congrats to everyone who got an interview!!:)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
anyone else thinking we could hear this upcoming Thursday

I’m really hoping we hear this week, the wait is killer 😅

Y’all think it’s tomorrow?
Also, what happens if they call you and you can’t / don’t answer?

Y’all think it’s tomorrow?
Also, what happens if they call you and you can’t / don’t answer?
Their protocol is to call twice and if you don't pick up you will just get notified through the portal updates at the same time as everyone else

Ah ok. Does anyone know if they call based off alphabetical order or is it just random?

Ah ok. Does anyone know if they call based off alphabetical order or is it just random?
Each ambassador is given an alphabetical section so while its alphabetical it is also random because they will be calling their lists simultaneously

Each ambassador is given an alphabetical section so while its alphabetical it is also random because they will be calling their lists simultaneously
Do you know what day they will call us? Please we need to know we’ve been so brave

I really hope we all hear today and that it is good news! Good luck everyone!

Good luck!! Looks like people didn’t post about calls until late afternoon after 4pm so we have a long day 🥲

Good luck!! Looks like people didn’t post about calls until late afternoon after 4pm so we have a long day 🥲
Yep, I’ve come to that conclusion as well and I am EST so it’s even later in the day for me :( hoping we will be put out of our misery today though!! We’ve got this!!