UC Davis c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! I just got my official rejection letter. For those OOS students who may be wondering why they didn't get an interview, here are the OOS stats:
Non-Residents
Average Science GPA: 3.94
Average Last 45 Sem. Units GPA: 3.96
Average Quantitative GRE Score: 88%
Average PPI Score: 4.4

And here I was thinking I was a semi-competitive candidate with a 3.88. CONGRATS TO ALL WHO GOT INTERVIEWS!!! You guys will rock it! :)
Wow, those are impressive stats. Thanks for posting and sorry you didn't get in. I'm sure some other vet schools out there are clamoring to get you with numbers like that though. How did you know what your PPI scores were?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
AAAGGHPBBTHFFSSTTHFFFF
2:06pm: Interview waitlisted!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my official rejection earlier this evening too. Ah well. Good luck to all! Best wishes for interviews. :luck:

I'm currently a UC Davis undergraduate. I would say weather-wise I would go with a pantsuit. Its been super windy and a little chilly these days. Although.... I am from California so my definition of cold may be way off haha

And related to interviews, I just bought my plane tickets and hotel reservations for another interview in Kansas and my wallet is now crying. So if anyone needs a couch to crash on to save costs (I might have an extra bed as well), lemme know! I live as close as possible to the vet school as anyone in Davis can live(closest housing). Literally a 10 minute walk down the street. And hotels are even farther.
If no one else has taken you up on the offer... I'm stretching my funds just to get plane tickets out there. My interview is on the 11th.

Congrats! I just got my official rejection letter. For those OOS students who may be wondering why they didn't get an interview, here are the OOS stats:
Non-Residents
Average Science GPA: 3.94
Average Last 45 Sem. Units GPA: 3.96
Average Quantitative GRE Score: 88%
Average PPI Score: 4.4

And here I was thinking I was a semi-competitive candidate with a 3.88. CONGRATS TO ALL WHO GOT INTERVIEWS!!! You guys will rock it! :)
Damn, those are really good stats... is it true that they stop looking at GPA and other things after the interview, and the decision is made completely based on interviews?

Also, is there a way to see our PPI scores?

Wow, those are impressive stats. Thanks for posting and sorry you didn't get in. I'm sure some other vet schools out there are clamoring to get you with numbers like that though. How did you know what your PPI scores were?

I don't know my PPI scores. That was the average of the applicants they posted.

Damn, those are really good stats... is it true that they stop looking at GPA and other things after the interview, and the decision is made completely based on interviews?

Also, is there a way to see our PPI scores?

That's what I've heard anyway: interview is based on stats, admission is solely based on MMI. With OOS stats like that, I'm glad they put so much weight on the interview though. Need smarts *and* people skills for this biz.

At what point will they look at your personal statement and other VMCAS material?

At what point will they look at your personal statement and other VMCAS material?

UCD doesn't look at personal statement, letters of rec, resume, or extracurricular activities.

Admissions is based solely on last 45 GPA, science GPA, GRE, PPI scores, and if you recieve one, the interview

UCD doesn't look at personal statement, letters of rec, resume, or extracurricular activities.

Admissions is based solely on last 45 GPA, science GPA, GRE, PPI scores, and if you recieve one, the interview

I hate that :/

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know my PPI scores. That was the average of the applicants they posted.
Oh, I thought those were *your* stats. Either way, my jaw hinges were broken for a full minute lol.

I know we all had to waive our rights when submitting the PPI, but does anyone know if it's possible to request to see them? I'm kinda curious :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I thought those were *your* stats. Either way, my jaw hinges were broken for a full minute lol.

I know we all had to waive our rights when submitting the PPI, but does anyone know if it's possible to request to see them? I'm kinda curious :)
Don't I wish! Haha on both accounts. You can try to ask your recommenders but I don't think there's any other way.

Does anyone know how many spots are left on the waiting list right now? And if you get an interview please post and let us know :)

Does anyone know how many spots are left on the waiting list right now? And if you get an interview please post and let us know :)
We are waiting for one person to accept or decline their interview offer - if they decline, then we will accept one person off of the wait list to compete this year's interviews. This individual has till the end of the month to accept - hope this helps.

We are waiting for one person to accept or decline their interview offer - if they decline, then we will accept one person off of the wait list to compete this year's interviews. This individual has till the end of the month to accept - hope this helps.
As of now (Saturday November 21st), all interview spots have been claimed - if someone should back out at the last minute, candidates will be offered an interview spot from the wait list.

I'm interested to know if TAPS isn't going to be enforcing permits on the days of interviews. I know that $9 (or whatever it is this year) is just a drop in the bucket at this point, but it would be nice to not have to worry about getting a permit, or consequently a ticket on interview days.

As of now (Saturday November 21st), all interview spots have been claimed - if someone should back out at the last minute, candidates will be offered an interview spot from the wait list.
Thanks VetADMIN. So if all of the spots are claimed, does that constitute an official rejection for us folks on the interview waiting list? I would then start sulkily applying for jobs. Lol.

I'm interested to know if TAPS isn't going to be enforcing permits on the days of interviews. I know that $9 (or whatever it is this year) is just a drop in the bucket at this point, but it would be nice to not have to worry about getting a permit, or consequently a ticket on interview days.
In previous years, they've had parking spots reserved for interviewees but calling to ask won't hurt...

Did other people who got interviews get a message asking you to confirm your interview time? I already selected my time, just making sure I haven't missed anything.

Also, I assume that the confidentiality agreement means that people from last year can't tell us about their MMI experience?

Did other people who got interviews get a message asking you to confirm your interview time? I already selected my time, just making sure I haven't missed anything.

Also, I assume that the confidentiality agreement means that people from last year can't tell us about their MMI experience?
Yup, I got one. And to answer the parking question above, they gave a few specific lots that they recommended parking in, and mentioned that parking was $9.

I just checked my portal, two interview spots are open. Just FYI--hoping some of you still get an invite!

I just checked my portal, two interview spots are open. Just FYI--hoping some of you still get an invite!
Yes, don't give up hope! I was one of the lucky few who got off the wait list a couple weeks ago.

Yup, I got one. And to answer the parking question above, they gave a few specific lots that they recommended parking in, and mentioned that parking was $9.
Is there anything we actually need to do? I don't see any possible inputs, does it just want us to check for our own records?

Depends on what you want to know :p

We are not allowed to not talk about the prompts themselves under penalty of death by bovine flatulence. If you’re looking for advice about how to prep for the MMI, you’ll hear varied responses.

Some people studied out of books. While vet school scenarios are generally kept under wraps, I believe some medical schools use MMI format as well, so some people used books/online pages from those. A quick look online can give you a general idea of the MMI style. I interviewed at another school in February last year that did MMI as well, and they were less strict about people talking about the prompts. They just verbally asked us not to disclose out of courtesy, so I will respect their wishes and not do so (but that doesn't mean others may not have done so elsewhere. I haven't looked, but it's a possibility if you guys want to snoop around a bit)

Personally, I took the advice someone else gave to “just be yourself”. You have no idea what they’re looking for in each round, so I found it easier to not stress myself out. If this is similar to last year, they probably mentioned that the MMI will not require any veterinary knowledge. So I figured I’d just be me and roll with it – it ended up being a lot of fun. But really, to each their own. If you feel better by doing prep work, go for it! Grab a book, etc. Otherwise, just be yourself. It sounds really vague, I know, but honestly it’s solid advice if it suits your personality.

Each round is its own interview. If you think you bombed a round, learn to let it go once you walk out that door. Don’t stew over what you should or shouldn’t have said – clean slate each time. You likely did better than you thought :)

Parking – No idea, sorry. I paid last year just in case (TAPS is vicious). Like someone mentioned earlier though, calling the school will give you the most reliable info.

If someone feels like PMing me the letter they got for the MMI/interview day instructions, I might be able to give more concrete advice that people can work on (the rest here is me rambling what I remember off the top of my head).

Hopefully some of this was helpful. Let me know if you have anything specific in mind, and I can try to get back to you.

Good luck! You guys will do great!

Last edited:
I was hoping someone who has interviewed at Davis already could answer this really random question. I am flying in at 7am and then flying somewhere else (not back home) after the day is over so I will have some sort of weekender type bag with me and I'm wondering if I can bring it to the school or if I should try and find a way to get the airport to hold it. Any ideas? :confused:

I was hoping someone who has interviewed at Davis already could answer this really random question. I am flying in at 7am and then flying somewhere else (not back home) after the day is over so I will have some sort of weekender type bag with me and I'm wondering if I can bring it to the school or if I should try and find a way to get the airport to hold it. Any ideas? :confused:
I think in one of the emails they sent they said that there would be a locked (monitored maybe) room to keep your belongings in while you're interviewing. They also want you to leave your phone and things in there as well. I think you'll be OK to leave a bag there.
I've got a 10am slot on 12/11, I'll let you store it in my car if you've got the same interview window as me, if they won't let you keep a larger bag in their holding room.

I think in one of the emails they sent they said that there would be a locked (monitored maybe) room to keep your belongings in while you're interviewing. They also want you to leave your phone and things in there as well. I think you'll be OK to leave a bag there.
I've got a 10am slot on 12/11, I'll let you store it in my car if you've got the same interview window as me, if they won't let you keep a larger bag in their holding room.
Ah I'm the 15 but thank you! I will call and ask I just didn't want to make it a big deal or seem difficult to them haha.

In the message Davis sent out through our portals with our Interview Information, there's a youtube link that I cannot get to work for whatever reason. Anyone else having this problem? If not, would someone mind sending it to me through PM?

In the message Davis sent out through our portals with our Interview Information, there's a youtube link that I cannot get to work for whatever reason. Anyone else having this problem? If not, would someone mind sending it to me through PM?

Delete the dot (.) at the end of the link. It works fine if you do that

Delete the dot (.) at the end of the link. It works fine if you do that

Okay, I could have SWORN that I had tried that already several times with no luck, but evidently that wasn't the case. :smack: Thank you!

Good luck everyone that's interviewing today!

How did everyone hold up with their interviews this week?

I'm going tomorrow. Sweating bullets.

I did it on Friday, it was not that bad. Everything you've got it your head is probably the worst case scenario that you can imagine. It took me about 2 interviews to get into the swing of things, and was able to enjoy (most) of the rest of it. The waiting is the absolute worst part. I think my group of 20 fared OK, there were no tears or breakdowns afterwards.
If, like me, you're not able to stay for the 4pm talk, they said that it would be put up on the portal in a week or two. Acceptances will go out by the end of January at the latest (but said they may go sooner - just don't count on it). The admissions director also said that they accept 150 for 140 seats, so if you're waitlisted you've got to wait for the extra 10 people to decline before there's any movement of the waitlist.

Weird question and pretty neurotic but does anybody who interviewed know if the clock they have in each room is analog or digital, or just a seven minute timer? I just don't want to be worried about calculating how much time I have left!
They have analog clocks in each room. Each room has a walkie talkie in it and gives a warning at the 6 minute mark letting you know there's a minute left. And another announcement when time is up and for you to leave the room.

So we all survived! And now, back to your regularly scheduled waiting....

So we all survived! And now, back to your regularly scheduled waiting....
Now they just need to work around the clock to have decisions done by Friday!

I was honestly incredibly impressed by the campus and all of the staff I interacted with. I absolutely loved my time I spent in Davis! I'm OOS so I didn't know what to expect coming into this. How did everyone else feel about the school and their experience?

I was honestly incredibly impressed by the campus and all of the staff I interacted with. I absolutely loved my time I spent in Davis! I'm OOS so I didn't know what to expect coming into this. How did everyone else feel about the school and their experience?

Davis has always been my first choice--it's my in state school and relatively close to where I currently live, and I'd been to the campus several times before but...yeah. Colored me impressed. I loved the anatomy rooms and the teaching hospital was really impressive. I was a little bummed that we toured after the stressful MMI. It's like...look at our beautiful campus and facility! Don't you want to go here? ...but only if you get in! Mwuahahaha!

I know that's not how they meant it, everyone was extremely nice, but that's how my brain felt :p The dean and assistant dean were really nice, too. I'm going to be in knots until I find out.

Just hoping that they wouldn't take until the end of January like they had said.

Pretty sure last year they called people with acceptances closer to the beginning of January (the 9th I think). I'm hoping they just said late January to be safe but that they'll make decisions sooner. Don't know when they interviewed last year, though - could have been a totally different timeline.

Hey guys, I know it is early to be asking about this--but better to start planning earlier. Being OOS I don't really know anything about the places to live in Davis/other nearby cities. I know living in Davis is more expensive, but I haven't seen many numbers here. How big of a price difference is it to live in Davis (with roommates) versus outside of the city?

Hey guys, I know it is early to be asking about this--but better to start planning earlier. Being OOS I don't really know anything about the places to live in Davis/other nearby cities. I know living in Davis is more expensive, but I haven't seen many numbers here. How big of a price difference is it to live in Davis (with roommates) versus outside of the city?
I don't know prices of Woodland or Dixon (close towns) but I am an undergrad living in North Davis and I pay $475 for a one bedroom apartment that I share with a roommate. If you choose areas that are further from campus, the price decreases a little. My place is only about a mile and a half from campus. Cheaper places would be in East or West Davis.

Anyone else getting nervous? It's 11 days out from the early end of when we might hear, at least of they do it similar to last year. Now that Christmas is over I don't have as much to distract me and I'm getting really nervous, keep going over my interview in my head. This is my 3rd application cycle and first interview, and I'm just so hoping third time is the charm. I want this so badly--I know we all do--and it's like I'm so close I can taste it. I'm excited to hear back but--gah! The nerves! I've picked up knitting as a way to channel the nerves lol