UC Davis c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else getting nervous? It's 11 days out from the early end of when we might hear, at least of they do it similar to last year. Now that Christmas is over I don't have as much to distract me and I'm getting really nervous, keep going over my interview in my head. This is my 3rd application cycle and first interview, and I'm just so hoping third time is the charm. I want this so badly--I know we all do--and it's like I'm so close I can taste it. I'm excited to hear back but--gah! The nerves! I've picked up knitting as a way to channel the nerves lol

I feel your pain. I also keep going over the interview in my head. I've been trying to keep myself distracted by working out a lot... A way to stay busy, and also a way to counteract the stress eating! I have NO idea how I did with the interview - I felt okay/good about some things but very uncertain about things. :/ Just waiting and getting more and more nervous now...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have a good guess on when people will start to hear back?

Anyone have a good guess on when people will start to hear back?
Last year it was January 9th for acceptances. They sent out phone calls to anyone who got in, so I'm hoping it'll be this Friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't be trolling us!
I will keep that in mind
sean
Sean Owens, DVM, DACVP
Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Programs
UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine

Reactions: 8 users
Well, now to wait for 4 more days... so close, yet somehow waaay to far away. Finally getting an interview at Minnesota did nothing to relieve stress from this. Good thing I don't have too too much going on this week, or I wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Really, really hoping to hear on Friday. That would be awesome

I will keep that in mind
sean
Sean Owens, DVM, DACVP
Are there any plans on what times you will be starting and finishing calls?

I will keep that in mind
sean
Sean Owens, DVM, DACVP

:) hiya Dr Owens! But really, you are going to give them a heart attack!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if we get waitlisted if we get to know our number on the list? I don't want to be pessimistic but...I'm failing ;)

Anyone know if we get waitlisted if we get to know our number on the list? I don't want to be pessimistic but...I'm failing ;)
I think that they do let you know. A few classmates I had were wait listed last year and if my memory serves me they knew their positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just in case anyone was wondering, typically (if not always), UC Davis SVM phone numbers start with 530-752-xxxx so I would assume this would be the type of number to look out for when they make calls. Unless it comes up as unknown or restricted but figured I would share anyways :)

So, just got this message to my portal

"Thank you for visiting the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and participating in our interview process.

The presentation by the Dean, Associate Deans and staff regarding our curriculum, students services, computer use, research opportunities and financial aid was recorded and can now be accessed from the "Interview Presentations" link on your Portal.

Also on your Portal, is a link to the "Admissions Survey." Please take a few minutes and complete the survey. The survey has no bearing on our admissions decisions. We appreciate your feedback and comments on our MMI process.

As mentioned in the MMI orientation, admission statuses will be posted to your portal by the end of January. I've heard that many of you are expecting to hear of admission decisions this Friday, Jan. 8 because that's close to the time they were available last year. That's not the case this year and we will not be notifying anyone of their admission status this Friday so please do not panic when you don't hear from us.

If offered admission, you will receive information about submitting fall transcripts on your portal."

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

Glad they told us though, now I can calm down.

Thank you so much for posting that! I got an email saying to check my portal but am not home and couldn't remember my VMCAS ID to log in so I started having a panic attack! Glad I could count on someone posting about it on here:)

Thank you so much for posting that! I got an email saying to check my portal but am not home and couldn't remember my VMCAS ID to log in so I started having a panic attack! Glad I could count on someone posting about it on here:)

I was so nervous when I got the alert- thought they might be sending acceptances super early. I really wish they would tell us what the message is in the alert email, rather than just saying we have a message.

I will keep that in mind
sean
Sean Owens, DVM, DACVP
Since we were told that decisions will not go out on Friday, will we be told when you all plan to make the calls? I am just curious because I want to be able to have my phone with me the whole time so I don't miss the call.

I should hibernate till Jan 31st :sleep: Goodnight y'all for the next three weeks.

Maybe we'll hear back from Davis next week? Hopefully? ;)

Is there any reason to think that they would tell us on a Friday rather than any other day of the week? We're we only guessing Friday because it was the 9th last year?

Is there any reason to think that they would tell us on a Friday rather than any other day of the week? We're we only guessing Friday because it was the 9th last year?
That was what I based my guess on! Hopefully they will tell us soon!

Last year they sent out interview invites on a Wednesday and this year they sent them on a Friday (almost a week earlier than last year), so I don't think they're necessarily doing the same days of the week or even month. I would imagine Fridays would be convenient for them so they aren't inundated with questions, but who knows. I personally was just hoping to hear back before any more OOS interviews, as Davis is my IS and top choice. But alas, I'm flying to my next interview Wednesday morning and need to buy tickets for another shortly after... :/

I will keep that in mind
sean
Sean Owens, DVM, DACVP
VetADMIN Is there any update as to when you all plan to release decisions? Would really appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!

VetADMIN Is there any update as to when you all plan to release decisions? Would really appreciate any insight you have. Thanks!
Before August. Definitely before then.... :p

I doubt they will say anything about it again until calls go out since the first date didn't work out. I'd love an update too, every day is stress until after like 5, but we should find out fairly soon.

Last edited:
Well, my football team just moved to California, so hopefully I can join them!

I think Wednesday the 13th seems like a good day for decisions . . . Maybe the power of wishful thinking will help? :nod:

I'm not expecting anything Thursday, but think Friday seems very likely. They said mid-January at our interviews, so it looks like the best time. Could be later, but I really hope not. I need to figure out travel for a few other interviews soon.

I checked previous threads, and it looks like the acceptance/waitlist notifications went out on a Thursday in 2014 and a Friday in 2015, so maybe it could be either today or tomorrow! But based on the fact that the interviews went out on a Friday, I'm leaning towards tomorrow too :)

Dr. Sean Owens just called me!!!!! I'm in!! SO SO happy!!!!! Ahhhhhhh

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats guys! That's so exciting! Are they updating portals too as they call?

Eep! Just got the call!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks. Anyone know if they are going alphabetically by last or first name?

Thanks. Anyone know if they are going alphabetically by last or first name?
My last name is in the middle of the alphabet, so probably random. Looks like it was random last year too. They probably split it up between a lot of people and work alphabetically with different starting points.

Ahhhh just got the call too! So excited! I'm on the east coast and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet as well. Congrats to all of my fellow interviewees that got in! :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
Ahhhh just got the call too! So excited! I'm on the east coast and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet as well. Congrats to all of my fellow interviewees that got in! :highfive:

Did anyone get an email also saying to check your portal or just the phone call?

Did anyone get an email also saying to check your portal or just the phone call?

Just the phone call. I checked my portal after the call and nothing has changed. I was also told on the phone that the portal would be updated by Wednesday!

That was the best wake-up-call I've ever received! I was convinced they'd call around 2:30pm (according to last year's discussion), but I got the call at 8:50 am. After days of just waiting and refreshing, and taking my phone with me everywhere, I am SO relieved! Hello future classmates!

My last name starts with a P, instate. I also heard that portal would be updated Wednesday. The number I got the call from was 530 752 3801

That was the best wake-up-call I've ever received! I was convinced they'd call around 2:30pm (according to last year's discussion), but I got the call at 8:50 am. After days of just waiting and refreshing, and taking my phone with me everywhere, I am SO relieved! Hello future classmates!
I've been so stressed waiting until I was sure they wouldn't call each day (I'm two hours ahead), so I stayed up until 5 since I don't have work today so I could sleep in and be stressed for not as long. Excellent wake-up call, but they called a lot earlier than I expected!