UFCVM c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is UF research-based? Have those who were invited for interviews have ample research hours?

I have 10 years of research and 5 publications with a cover of CELL. They do not care about that.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah same just the screen , I just making sure cause I'm always paranoid of putting my email wrong even though I triple check lol
I’m literally the same way! Totally understand. My biggest fear with VMCAS was somehow typing every important thing wrong

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS interview! How should I prepare for the interview process? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many are normally invited to interview/are accepted? Some schools send these stats in the emails but I see UF did not

For those that got denied- don’t give up! Last cycle I got denied from 6 schools and only invited to 1 interview. A year of hard work can change so much!

Reactions: 2 users
This was the first time I didn’t cry. Truly my last shot. Last year was going to be it, but I was hoping the histo experience I gained would help, but they see no value in me so I’ll just move on.
Don't give up! I applied 10 years ago and said that was it. I decided to give it one more shot this year and got an interview invite. If this is what you truly want, DO NOT GIVE UP. Make it your mission to continue to build your skills, education, etc. Schedule an application review. It stings to hear what they say, but it does help. You have value. Don't ever let anyone tell you something different.

IS interview invite! I honestly did not think it would happen. I cried at work when I saw the email. Now the anxiety of the interview. The application was already rough. Oye.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone who got interviews!!! I’m a current second year! Feel free to ask me any questions. If you did not get the news you hoped for - this does not define your worth.❤️

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone who got interviews!!! I’m a current second year! Feel free to ask me any questions. If you did not get the news you hoped for - this does not define your worth.❤️
What advice do you have to prepare for interviews?

IS rejection :( congrats to everyone who got interviews!! Good luck

• Care
Advice on interview preparation?

2nd time IS rejection 🙃 Excited for those of y'all who got interviews and can't wait to see how the process goes for you!! <3

• Care
Second time IS interview offer! For those that are wondering how to prep, last year they attached resources to your interview confirmation email which should be going out within the next week. It typically contains info on commonly asked questions and how to prepare.
This is the interview prep book that they included last year (I hope the link works):

I also recommend looking through SDN for previous interviews. A lot of people will post info about their experience and what questions they were asked. Hope this helps!

I prepped by reading some of the previous interview questions just to get a feel of the type of question they were going to ask:

It was also recommended to listen to this and I found it helpful:

Come up with “pocket stories,” meaningful anecdotes that can be used to answer some of these questions.

I prepped by reading some of the previous interview questions just to get a feel of the type of question they were going to ask:

Come up with “pocket stories,” meaningful anecdotes that can be used to answer some of these questions.

Thank you so much! What are your general thoughts on their vet program? Was there one thing that stood out to you that made you want to go there?

Thank you so much! What are your general thoughts on their vet program? Was there one thing that stood out to you that made you want to go there?
I can’t lie, I’m here for instate tuition #1. The teaching hospital was recently renovated and it’s gorgeous. The built in certificate programs are super cool. Overall I think the professors are great, and the schedule/exams are fair. My only grievances are the parking (I’m sure you’ve heard about this), and sometimes admin is a little unempathetic towards people going through it.

Sorry 1 more question! I was looking through the SDN link and saw a pretty split graph of whether the interviewers were exposed to their packet before hand. Do you remember if your interviewers had access? Not sure if pre covid/post covid changes this

Sorry 1 more question! I was looking through the SDN link and saw a pretty split graph of whether the interviewers were exposed to their packet before hand. Do you remember if your interviewers had access? Not sure if pre covid/post covid changes this
My cycle I was told it was the interviewers choice to look or not. Mine did, which I thought was nice because they knew my interests and experience.

For those that got denied- don’t give up! Last cycle I got denied from 6 schools and only invited to 1 interview. A year of hard work can change so much!
Was your 1 interview invite IS or OOS? I still have 8 other schools to hear back from. This is the first school I have heard back from. With it being my one IS option, I worry that it's all over and I am going to get 8 more rejections. I felt like IS was my best odds so if I didn't get that... what would I get?

• Care
Also, thank you for everyone leaving encouraging words. I feel better today than when I first got the news. It really hit me hard that this is going to be a long fight, but this is the only thing I want to do with my life. I knew my chances of getting in were slim this time around, I knew that this is a career of uphill battles, but being hit with that rejection gave me a lot of doubts, so the encouragement, specifically from people who get it really does help

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Also, thank you for everyone leaving encouraging words. I feel better today than when I first got the news. It really hit me hard that this is going to be a long fight, but this is the only thing I want to do with my life. I knew my chances of getting in were slim this time around, I knew that this is a career of uphill battles, but being hit with that rejection gave me a lot of doubts, so the encouragement, specifically from people who get it really does help
Feel free to message me about anything! I was in to shoes last year and didn’t have anyone to talk to about it

Was your 1 interview invite IS or OOS? I still have 8 other schools to hear back from. This is the first school I have heard back from. With it being my one IS option, I worry that it's all over and I am going to get 8 more rejections. I felt like IS was my best odds so if I didn't get that... what would I get?
It was OOS technically at the time (VMCVM). I lived in PA at time of application but moved to MD in October so I’m not sure if that had any factor in it. I also know Penn being my in state was unfortunately one school that doesn’t have a super IS preference. I ended up on the waitlist and met with them to go over my interview which was extremely helpful! Honestly I think not getting into school last year was one of the best things for me as I had a whole extra year of vet opportunities, more time to make money, and spend a year with my family before moving away.

Rejection is devastating. Let yourself feel the disappointment. But like I said, this doesn’t define you as a person or a potential vet. Some of the smartest people I know applied multiple cycles. Amazing applicants are denied every year because frankly there isn’t enough spots to admit everyone who deserves it. Schools also weigh different aspects of the application differently, don’t let one rejection make you lose all hope. After I got my first rejection I thought there was no way any other school would accept me, and they did! Keep on going, you can do this!
Edit in regards to your other comment: I had multiple classmates in undergrad not get into UF as their instate, but into other OOS schools including AZSU, LIU, and Cornell and they are all beyond happy!

• Care
I was placed on the alternate list for interviews, but received a scholarship opportunity for the school. Does this mean that I will be invited for an interview? Has anyone else had this? :)

I looked at the first row of this to try to see the odds of getting in if you got offered an interview as an IS applicant, but I cant figure it out for the life of me cause the numbers don't add up. Does anyone know how likely you are to get in if invited to interview? I know UF values the interview a lot and every class/candidate is different, I'm just trying to lower my stress levels for the interview lol.

I looked at the first row of this to try to see the odds of getting in if you got offered an interview as an IS applicant, but I cant figure it out for the life of me cause the numbers don't add up. Does anyone know how likely you are to get in if invited to interview? I know UF values the interview a lot and every class/candidate is different, I'm just trying to lower my stress levels for the interview lol.
The stats are always confusing, I believe the numbers don’t add up because they have to account for people who will have to repeat first year and drop down into the new class (that’s not always a clear number until the semester ends.) Once you interview I think your chances of getting in are pretty good (instate), but of course they can’t accept everyone they interview. I think most in state interviewees who were not offered a seat were waitlisted. Rock that interview! It’s scary but I loved my interview and the interviewers were super cool and interested in me as a person and future vet :)

I was placed on the alternate list for interviews, but received a scholarship opportunity for the school. Does this mean that I will be invited for an interview? Has anyone else had this? :)
I was also placed on the OOS interview alternate list but recieved an email the very next day that based on my application, I was invited to apply for a scholarship. Hoping this is a good sign for us both!

• Love
I was also placed on the OOS interview alternate list but recieved an email the very next day that based on my application, I was invited to apply for a scholarship. Hoping this is a good sign for us both!
I hope so too! Are you pursuing equine medicine too?! There are not too many :giggle:

I hope so too! Are you pursuing equine medicine too?! There are not too many :giggle:
I really enjoy all aspects of large animal medicine, but definitely plan to focus on equine since I have the most experience in that area!

I really enjoy all aspects of large animal medicine, but definitely plan to focus on equine since I have the most experience in that area!
I am also pursuing equine medicine! Best of luck to you hun! :)

if we got invited for an interview, do we send in our Casper results? I saw an old post on Reddit but I did not see anything in the email about it.

if we got invited for an interview, do we send in our Casper results? I saw an old post on Reddit but I did not see anything in the email about it.
They will eventually send an email with a code to take the Casper for free or how to submit your results if you’ve already taken it :)
Edit: I received this email January, 4th for reference :)

They will eventually send an email with a code to take the Casper for free or how to submit your results if you’ve already taken it :)
Edit: I received this email January, 4th for reference :)
On the UF VMCAS application this year I remember it said exclusively that the Casper is not required for admission, I'm not sure if they changed that requirement from last year.

On the UF VMCAS application this year I remember it said exclusively that the Casper is not required for admission, I'm not sure if they changed that requirement from last year.
Yes looks like they removed it, thanks for the correction! It was the past two years but apparently it was just for data purposes and they decided against adding it.

Anyone else so paranoid about the survey that they want to submit it again? I got the confirmation screen but didn't even think to take a screen shot. :oops: