University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone else feel like they did poorly in their interview this week? i hope i'm not the only one.
also, does anyone know any other methods to gaining residency? they said even if i purchased a home i likely wouldn't gain residency. 36k/year - 144k total seems pretty steep when compared to residence that only end up with 64k in tuition...

I got into an argument with my interviewer, but it was alright in the end. Dont lose hope!!

You only get residency while NOT in school. The rules are set so you have to pay out of state tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone...

Had my interview today in Hilo. I thought it was really really laid back....more like a conversation. My interviewer asked me mostly hypothetical questions. I thought I did really well...hopefully I get in!

Beef: I'm guessing you interviewed in LV? They people in Hilo were SUPER friendly...blew my mind how the hospitality was. Can't wait for that email :) Crossing my fingers

Good Luck!! Just waiting time now.

I feel like I didn't do well enough for my interview today. I guess no spot for me =/ good luck with everyone else.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I didn't do well enough today for my interview today. I guess no spot for me =/ good luck with everyone else.

don't lose hope! you'll never know :)
What do you think you did poorly on?

I didn't wear a jacket to the interview and the interviewer pointed that out. I also didn't ask for his name.

I didn't wear a jacket to the interview and the interviewer pointed that out. I also didn't ask for his name.

Oh it could have been worse. Hopefully you didnt blank out on any questions and answered with an "iunno" or something. Are you supposed to ask for their name? i mean, they had name tags

No I didnt blank out at all except for the part where he ask the top best adjective to describe a pharmacist. I said "self-motivated<--he gave me a raised eyebrow so I had to quickly changed it to some other terms."

Last edited:
I was only asked 5 or 6 questions though but I took a long time answering each.

Wow I feel like your interview was way more formal than mine. I'm sure you're just being hard on yourself...you never know. It's not all about the interview. Don't give up yet

oaksen i wouldn't stress too much, i saw a few other applicants not wearing a jacket either. was it only your attire you are worried about? if so, that's not too bad. where did you interview at?

I dont think it matters what u wore. At least u didnt come in with shorts and slippers LOL:D
just take it easy and relax. Dont lose hope.

I interviewed at the vegas location yesterday. The interview was very laid back and Dr. Wright took the time between each question to allow for conversation about the question asked. I dont think it mattered that a jacket wasnt worn and wouldnt worry too much. Best of luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kcwang, it was Dr. Wright. I never expected him beforehand(I was almost sure it'd be Dr. Jarvi). I was interviewed on the 25th in Vegas and he seemed like an easy going guy but he told me he knows from years of experience how to pick out potential pharmacy students for the school. I wonder if he asked anyone else about their GPA and PCAT score because he asked for mine. My pal chris11792 made a point that it was a closed-file interview so it was strange for me to have him ask that. But I definitely did a lot more talking than he did and I could see him writing things down as I speak. I think other candidates spent more time in the room than I did because by the 30min mark, I was abruptly asked to stop. Never got the chance to show him how much I learned about the school through their school newsletter or even asked him questions relating to the school, so I felt cheated in a way. There are so many candidates that interview from Feb 22-25, but I wonder how many of them actually took the time like me to learn about the school through the newsletter.
Btw...did anyone peeked at the scores he gave them? :whistle:

Last edited:
Kcwang, it was Dr. Wright. I never expected him beforehand(I was almost sure it'd be Dr. Jarvi). I was interviewed on the 25th in Vegas and he seemed like an easy going guy but he told me he knows from years of experience how to pick out potential pharmacy students for the school. I wonder if he asked anyone else about their GPA and PCAT score because he asked for mine. My pal chris11792 made a point that it was a closed-file interview so it was strange for me to have him ask that. But I definitely did a lot more talking than he did and I could see him writing things down as I speak. I think other candidates spent more time in the room then I did because by the 30min mark, I was abruptly asked to stop. Never got the chance to show him how much I learned about the school through their school newsletter or even asked him questions relating to the school, so I felt cheated in a way. There are so many candidates that interview from Feb 22-25, but I wonder how many of them actually took the time like me to learn about the school through the newsletter.

I didn't see my score even though I was staring at his paper the whole time while talking. I didn't know what it was, and I thought he wanted me to look at it (the way he positioned the paper). He did write summary of my responses on the paper. I think he told you those stuff to make you feel more nervous. From my talk with other interviewees, it seems like he is playing the bad cop. He was really skeptical of almost everything I said (playing the bad cop), which I end up arguing with him the whole time (while trying to throw as much stuff from my EC at him). At one point when the arguement got pretty heated (on my research topic), he said to me "I'm just playing the devil with you" with a smile on his face. I think he is a nice guy, so don't worry so much about it. Was your interview early morning? Maybe he cut you short because he was already running late. Sorry to hear that, but Good Luck!! I hope you get good news!

Btw waiting time for me and some ppl was 2 weeks

I didn't see my score even though I was staring at his paper the whole time while talking. I didn't know what it was, and I thought he wanted me to look at it (the way he positioned the paper). He did write summary of my responses on the paper. I think he told you those stuff to make you feel more nervous. From my talk with other interviewees, it seems like he is playing the bad cop. He was really skeptical of almost everything I said (playing the bad cop), which I end up arguing with him the whole time (while trying to throw as much stuff from my EC at him). At one point when the arguement got pretty heated (on my research topic), he said to me "I'm just playing the devil with you" with a smile on his face. I think he is a nice guy, so don't worry so much about it. Was your interview early morning? Maybe he cut you short because he was already running late. Sorry to hear that, but Good Luck!! I hope you get good news!

Btw waiting time for me and some ppl was 2 weeks
I think the scoring is either 0,1,2, or 3. I saw that my score was exactly the same number(guess which number) circled by him from top-down. I couldn't understand his illegible handwriting so I'm not sure what he thought about me on paper. In the end he told me he "liked" me and that I'm "a really nice guy." Those two descriptions are so vague somehow...'nice' was not what I was aiming for....wonderful, fantastic, or even great would have worked better. He didn't ask you about your gpa/pcat either Kevin?

Side note:He told me that he sees lots of people like me(Asians) in the program, especially those with the last name Nguyen :thumbup:, Tran, Le, and Ngo( ***cough***chris***cough***). He said it's a shame that there aren't a lot of Black applicants to make the program more culturally diverse and I was like :hello:

Last edited:
Kcwang, it was Dr. Wright. I never expected him beforehand(I was almost sure it'd be Dr. Jarvi). I was interviewed on the 25th in Vegas and he seemed like an easy going guy but he told me he knows from years of experience how to pick out potential pharmacy students for the school. I wonder if he asked anyone else about their GPA and PCAT score because he asked for mine. My pal chris11792 made a point that it was a closed-file interview so it was strange for me to have him ask that. But I definitely did a lot more talking than he did and I could see him writing things down as I speak. I think other candidates spent more time in the room then I did because by the 30min mark, I was abruptly asked to stop. Never got the chance to show him how much I learned about the school through their school newsletter or even asked him questions relating to the school, so I felt cheated in a way. There are so many candidates that interview from Feb 22-25, but I wonder how many of them actually took the time like me to learn about the school through the newsletter.

First off, I always do hate to hear people say that they felt like they had a bad interview. I know the feeling and it is sad to hear that people didn't do as well as they hoped to do.

However, I don't think it is right to assume that people who interviewed didn't do their prep and didn't read the newsletters like you did. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally read every single newsletter, read up on the community service events, looked at the clubs they offered, and emailed current students as well before my interview. I think to discredit the work and preparation that people have put in before the interview isn't right. I knew that they wouldn't straight up ask me if I had done these things, so I knew before hand that I would have to try and incorporate my research into the answers. They asked me what I look for in a school, why UHH, where I see myself in a year if I attended (among others) and I definitely used what I had learned and tried my best to put it into my responses. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that people don't extensively research the school before they interview. Anyways, just my two cents :)

I think most of the responses hear have stated that many didn't do as well as they wanted to (myself included). There's nothing else to do but wait it out!

I think the scoring is either 0,1,2, or 3. I saw that my score was exactly the same number(guess which number) circled by him from top-down. I couldn't understand his illegible handwriting so I'm not sure what he thought about me on paper. In the end he told me he "liked" me and that I'm "a really nice guy." Those two descriptions are so vague somehow...'nice' was not what I was aiming for....wonderful, fantastic, or even great would have worked better. He didn't ask you about your gpa/pcat either Kevin?

Side note:He told me that he sees lots of people like me(Asians) in the program, especially those with the last name Nguyen :thumbup:, Tran, Le, and Ngo( ***cough***chris***cough***). He said it's a shame that there aren't a lot of Black applicants to make the program more culturally diverse and I was like :hello:

Ur just being hard on urself. I am more than sure that the students that made it into the program felt depressed and disappointed at themselves after their interviews. They felt as if they just threw all their hard work into the trash just because of the interview (all those hours studying for the PCAT, Hours working on their personal statements, Keeping their GPA's high, etc...). I came out of the interview as if i just saw a ghost. Just take it easy (i honestly dont know how i can emphasize this enough with words). Oh and i think there is a higher than average number of asians in nearly all health professionals for some strange reason. :confused

Does anyone know how often it rains in Hilo?

I'm not from there (from a different island) but I'm pretty sure it rains very often.

Does anyone know how often it rains in Hilo?

it does rain, but I feel that most of the time it rains at night. unless you are nocturnal, it should be raining most while you are sleeping. :laugh:

I didn't know that Hilo is so industrial that it produces acid rain.

Is it the city irrigated well enough so it doesn't flood? Or should people prepare for that situation?

I'm pretty sure it's because of the active volcanoes :thumbup:

yup, for those of you who want to bring a new car to Hilo, better think about it!

By the way, anyone know any recommended carmax there? I decide to get a car there instead of shipping one over.

yup, for those of you who want to bring a new car to Hilo, better think about it!

By the way, anyone know any recommended carmax there? I decide to get a car there instead of shipping one over.

I'm also thinking about getting a car there instead of shipping my car over too. I'll let you know if I find anything

I'm pretty sure it's because of the active volcanoes :thumbup:
Wow. I didn't know the volcanoes are still that active. I probably going to need to think about bringing an old car over or buy a used one.

Anyone interviewed on the 18? Since it's a Saturday, are we suppose to get the news on fri or mon? This wait is so distracting.

Sorry been so MIA, I don't know why I get notifications for this thread sometimes but most of the time I don't.
To those who are just waiting to hear after their interview, I'm sure you guys did awesome and I wish you guys the best. And to everyone who hasn't interviewed yet but will soon, good luck!!! :)

I didn't get an interview at Hilo, but I thought I'd comment on interviews. I thought I totally flubbed my first interview at WNEU. They asked me a bunch of hypothetical scenario questions that I was totally unprepared for, and in retrospect thought I answered very poorly. Apparently they were looking for something in my answers that I didn't consider, because I got accepted. Just some words of encouragement to those of you feeling down!

Hey guys, I took the initiative to call Kristy. She said they anticipate the email to go out this coming Monday or Tuesday! ughhh so nervous!

Hey guys, I took the initiative to call Kristy. She said they anticipate the email to go out this coming Monday or Tuesday! ughhh so nervous!

I wonder if that would include those who were interviewed on the last day, Feb 25, because I'm one of them *.*

I wonder if that would include those who were interviewed on the last day, Feb 25, because I'm one of them *.*

i think so because for the last cycle of interviews, some people found out as soon as a week later.

I also spoke to Dr. Batz after the interview and he explained it as after the 1 week of interviews, they go tally up the points of the applicants and then choose from the bunch.

i think so because for the last cycle of interviews, some people found out as soon as a week later.

I also spoke to Dr. Batz after the interview and he explained it as after the 1 week of interviews, they go tally up the points of the applicants and then choose from the bunch.

Wow Monday or Tuesday seems early considering Dr. Wright said "in a couple of weeks." I'll try to not get my hopes up too high, in fact, I'll set my hopes down real low so that early rejection won't hurt so much >_<.

Ohhh I can't wait..I thought my interview went well but my application isn't the strongest. GL to everyone :)

Wow Monday or Tuesday seems early considering Dr. Wright said "in a couple of weeks." I'll try to not get my hopes up too high, in fact, I'll set my hopes down real low so that early rejection won't hurt so much >_<.

I think they tell all applicants that the email will come out in a couple of weeks. My guess that in reality, a couple of weeks is how long it takes for the students that interviewed early in the week and the wait is shorter for the students that interviewed at the end of the week.

I think my application is strong but my interview was bad so I don't know what to think... but I have acceptances elsewhere so I guess it's not the end of the world just disappointing : (

Dr. Wright told me that too, then he said "you're lucky if you hear back within 2 weeks". I guess I am lucky!

I think my application is strong but my interview was bad so I don't know what to think... but I have acceptances elsewhere so I guess it's not the end of the world just disappointing : (

Was Hilo your top choice?

Good Luck, and don't worry that much. Everyone thinks badly of his/her interview. What matters is what your interviewer thinks of you, not what you think of yourself.

Hey everyone. Just got my acceptance email today! Hope everyone gets one!! I interviewed last week and wasn't expecting the email till next week. Was a pleasant surprise.

Yes I will be attending for sure :) can't wait to meet everyone. Sad thing is, I really don't have a Facebook :( Personal reasons haha.

Yes I will be attending for sure :) can't wait to meet everyone. Sad thing is, I really don't have a Facebook :( Personal reasons haha.

Congratz PerchiN!!! Maybe going to Hawaii for the interview is a better choice since it's so laidback as you described. A friend once told me that you could dress more informally for the interview if you're in Hawaii.

Last edited:
I got an acceptance email today too! :woot:

:highfive:

congrats! i got m acceptance email too! Ep123, did you interview in Las Vegas or Hilo?

^^Vegas. You? Congrats, by the way! :) :thumbup:

Congrats to all that got accepted! :) If you guys don't mind, what date did you guys interivew?

Congrats to all that got accepted! :) If you guys don't mind, what date did you guys interivew?

I interviewed on the 24th in Vegas.

To those of you still waiting for an email: don't lose hope yet! If I recall correctly, they sent out the acceptances over a few days in the past...so my guess is they will be doing the same thing for this interview round.

Good luck! :luck: