University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on the 24th in Vegas.

To those of you still waiting for an email: don't lose hope yet! If I recall correctly, they sent out the acceptances over a few days in the past...so my guess is they will be doing the same thing for this interview round.

Good luck! :luck:
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I also interviewed on the 24th but in Hilo.

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances!

Eeeeepp.. now I'm getting worried because I haven't heard anything yet. :confused: Thanks for the reassurance though, Ep132. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email from PharmCAS that my GPA has been updated through Academic Update. I called Kristy to see if the Acceptance Committee would receive the update sooner but it seems like they'll be receiving the update on Monday, the potential day that they send out acceptance emails:scared:. My grades from Fall Semester boosted my PharmCAS GPA a lot but I don't think that they will see that beforehand.:(

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances!

Eeeeepp.. now I'm getting worried because I haven't heard anything yet. :confused: Thanks for the reassurance though, Ep132. *fingers crossed*

I'm in the same situation as you! I hope we hear good news on Mon. or Tues. :scared:

congrats for those of that have been accepted! i interviewed in LV and am still anxiously waiting to hear back as well.
i have not seen anyone post that they were declined. has anyone received a rejection email? or has anyone heard of anyone that has received a rejection email?

I interviewed on the 24th in Vegas.

To those of you still waiting for an email: don't lose hope yet! If I recall correctly, they sent out the acceptances over a few days in the past...so my guess is they will be doing the same thing for this interview round.

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the reassurance. It really helps :)

congrats for those of that have been accepted! i interviewed in LV and am still anxiously waiting to hear back as well.
i have not seen anyone post that they were declined. has anyone received a rejection email? or has anyone heard of anyone that has received a rejection email?
I haven't received a rejection letter or rejection email. Is UH suppose to send a rejection email or regular mail? Does anyone know?

Hey everyone,

First off, I want to congratulate everyone who got in to UHH COP already and good luck for those that have yet to interview. My name is Jin and I'm currently a p1 at Hilo. I'm also the class of 2015 class delegate so I'll be corresponding with the class of 2016 frequently. I'm also on the class of 2016 Facebook page. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about Hilo, the school, housing, student organizations, or any other information you would like to know. Again, congrats and good luck!

Jin Bae Pak
Student Pharmacist
UHH COP
Class of 2015

Members don't see this ad :)
kcwang - Was Hilo your top choice?

Good Luck, and don't worry that much. Everyone thinks badly of his/her interview. What matters is what your interviewer thinks of you, not what you think of yourself.[/QUOTE]

I'm not exactly sure what my top choice is, I just wanted some options, and my husband and I truly love Hawaii. I got into a couple of schools with great stats, and one accelerated program, so I'm happy either way, but we definitely didn't want to rule out Hawaii. Will UH send out rejection letters or do we just assume if we didn't hear anything we're out? That just seems rude...

And congrats to those of you who heard on Friday! : )

They used an un-ranked waiting list in the past citing "they're constantly reviewing applicants not currently admitted". I don't believe I've heard of anyone receiving a flat out rejection after receiving an interview. So more or less you won't hear anything unless you've been accepted, it's a frustrating situation for applicants to not know if an acceptance is on the horizon.

kcwang - Was Hilo your top choice?

I'm not exactly sure what my top choice is, I just wanted some options, and my husband and I truly love Hawaii. I got into a couple of schools with great stats, and one accelerated program, so I'm happy either way, but we definitely didn't want to rule out Hawaii. Will UH send out rejection letters or do we just assume if we didn't hear anything we're out? That just seems rude...

And congrats to those of you who heard on Friday! : )

Yes, I withdrew from all other schools after I got accepted to Hilo (I applied to 4 schools). Congrats on getting into other schools! I love Hawaii too, but other schools I applied to had better stats and connections. Unfortunately, those werent on top of my priority list for a pharmacy school. If you are seeking for a career advantage when you graduate, and you got into a school that offers exactly that, then you should attend that school!

Ya that sucks they dont give you a rejection letter, but use it to your advantage. It basically means you can continue to sell yourself and send them updates of EC, research exp, work, classes through emails. Hey!! you got nothing to lose! Show them your determination!! At the end of the day, schools that reject you dont deserve you.

Here are some good stuff I got from Washington SOP a while back. Find your weak spot on your application, then work on it, send updates.
===========================================================
Criteria for screening and selection of intereviewed applicants for offer of admission

Academic preparedness
Academic intergrity in accordance with student conduct code, completion of prerequisite coursework, credit load, withdrawals, recent completion of prerequisites, prerequisite GPA, cumulative GPA, PCAT Scores, TOEFL scores (if applicable), academic achievement (degrees earned), Academic letter of reference.

Oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
Application essays, leadership roles, interview

Motivation to study pharmacy Awareness of issues facing pharmacy and society with regard to health
Pharmacy and/or other healthcare experience, Research experience, community services, personal attributes, interview

Critical-thinking ability, decision making ability, problem solving ability, creativity, resourcefulness
Academic achievement (degree earned), leadership roles, community service, personal attributes, interview

Leadership
Leadership roles, extracurricular activities, community service , personal attributes, academic and professional letters of reference, interview

Personal attributes: compassion, integrity, sensitivity, maturity, judgement, initiative, self-discipline, responsibility
Application essays, leadership roles, extracurricular activities, community service, academic and professional letters of reference, interview

========================================================

Congrats to everyone who got accepted and decided to attend. I look forward meeting you all there =]

Any word on whether they will be sending out more acceptances this week? :xf:

Any word on whether they will be sending out more acceptances this week? :xf:

I don't know anything official, but I do know I only have until this Friday (the 9th) to accept. So, I'm guessing that if there are people who don't take their acceptances they will move to the next people on the list then, if nothing else.

:xf:

Good luck guys, I know the waiting is hard. :luck:

Anyone received any email updates today yet? I haven't...

Anyone received any email updates today yet? I haven't...

I received my acceptance at 4:00 pm California time on the 16th of December. There is still tomorrow too! Good Luck!

Nothing yet. I checked with Kristy again and she said they're expecting emails to go out today or tomorrow.

GL everyone ! I know the wait is killer but hang in there

I got invited to a second interview (via Skype) after interviewing on Feb 22 in Vegas. Did anyone else get this?

I interviewed on 2/23 and got my acceptance via e-mail on 3/2! If anyone has any questions about the interview process, school, etc let me know and I'll try answer them. I interviewed at Hilo so I can give you my thoughts on the pharmacy school.

Got my email a little after 6. On the alternate list too. Interviewed on the 21st in vegas. Not gonna lie, it was a pretty bad interview so Im not really surprised

I also interviewed on the 24th but in Hilo.

By chance, were you one of the interviewees that was treated to a Hawaiian Sun drink by Michael in the lounge that day? ;)

Hey everyone,

First off, I want to congratulate everyone who got in to UHH COP already and good luck for those that have yet to interview. My name is Jin and I'm currently a p1 at Hilo. I'm also the class of 2015 class delegate so I'll be corresponding with the class of 2016 frequently. I'm also on the class of 2016 Facebook page. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about Hilo, the school, housing, student organizations, or any other information you would like to know. Again, congrats and good luck!

Jin Bae Pak
Student Pharmacist
UHH COP
Class of 2015

I feel compelled to add that if any of you ever want delicious food, Jin is an excellent cook and gladly takes bribes. :laugh:

I'm now on the alternate list. Congrats and good luck to all that got accepted.

Received an email at 4:09pm and It's alternate list for me as well T_T. Looks like my hopes are for Touro CA and MWU.

Alternate list for me as well...Guess us in Las Vegas didn't leave a good impression!

Alternate list for me as well...Guess us in Las Vegas didn't leave a good impression!

Oh noesss, you too?!? I don't get why this is all happening to us Vegas people.

Last edited:
Oh noesss, you too?!? I don't get why this is all happening to us Vegas people.

Haha yeah unfortunately...I knew I didn't answer the best I could, but she kept nodding to my answers and smiling (maybe that was a bad thing haha). I think it was a longshot trying to interview for a spot for the 45 OOS, but oh well. Also, don't know how the waitlist works if it isn't ranked...lottery?? I thought it was interesting when they said they could email you the week right before orientation...I can't imagine having to make that move from Cali in a week :eek:

Anyways, best of luck to you!

How strange. I guess I am the odd one out here having been invited to a second interview instead of being placed on the alternate list. Congratulations to those that were admitted and good luck to the alternates.

By chance, were you one of the interviewees that was treated to a Hawaiian Sun drink by Michael in the lounge that day? ;)

Haha no, unfortunately I had to catch a flight back early so I couldn't stay for the tour.

Hi stoichiometrist. It's probably a good thing that you have a second interview. From what I have read from the previous posting, everyone gets in the alternate list. I haven't really seen a posting stating that someone having a denial. Good luck on the second interview. I hope you get in this year! :thumbup::thumbup:

Hi stoichiometrist. It's probably a good thing that you have a second interview. From what I have read from the previous posting, everyone gets in the alternate list. I haven't really seen a posting stating that someone having a denial. Good luck on the second interview. I hope you get in this year! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks, and good luck to you too!

How strange. I guess I am the odd one out here having been invited to a second interview instead of being placed on the alternate list. Congratulations to those that were admitted and good luck to the alternates.

I've never heard of a second interview...did the email state why they were doing it?

I'm on the alternate as well. =\ I interviewed in Vegas and actually thought my interview went pretty well..

Last edited:
Haha yeah unfortunately...I knew I didn't answer the best I could, but she kept nodding to my answers and smiling (maybe that was a bad thing haha). I think it was a longshot trying to interview for a spot for the 45 OOS, but oh well. Also, don't know how the waitlist works if it isn't ranked...lottery?? I thought it was interesting when they said they could email you the week right before orientation...I can't imagine having to make that move from Cali in a week :eek:

Anyways, best of luck to you!
I recall that last year's class had 92 students and some of the seats reserved for in-state students weren't completely filled, so they were given to OOS students. There's still hope for us out-of-state candidates.

Also on the alternate list and also interviewed in Vegas. *Sigh*

I interviewed on Feb 22nd, and received the alternative list email last night.... :thumbdown:
I also thought my interview went pretty well, not sure what went wrong.

For those who got put on alternative list, dont give up. I don't know the exact reason to why so many people are put on the alternative list. In my opinion, seats for class of 2016 are probably pretty full, so it is more competitive and harder to get a spot unless someone withdraw. Good luck waiting, and keep the school informed of your plans and updates.

For those who got put on alternative list, dont give up. I don't know the exact reason to why so many people are put on the alternative list. In my opinion, seats for class of 2016 are probably pretty full, so it is more competitive and harder to get a spot unless someone withdraw. Good luck waiting, and keep the school informed of your plans and updates.

Yeah guys don't give up hope. Their is probably more applicants that interviewed then there are seats available so they're pooling everyone together so that they can pick the most qualified applicants. I do know that the school said that they accept students all the way up to the first day of orientation in August so it's not over until then! I'm sure people will turn down their acceptance which will open up seats for those of you who do want to go here! :thumbup:

Has no one received an email today? No acceptances or alt. lists at all??

Don't they do interviews all the way up through April or May? So they will keep accepting people and the alternate pool will just continue to grow.... Because if they don't deny anyone they interview, they will probably have a couple hundred people in their alternate category by the time school starts. I for one do not have the time, energy or resources to save my spot at another school 'just in case,' then move my butt, my dog and my favorite stuff from the middle of the mainland all the way to Hawaii the week before school. Not to mention that if you pull out of another pharm school the week before it starts you are doing the exact same thing to another student. Cuz when your spot opens up, they will fill it the day before.. And that's saying you'd even be one of the lucky ones that eventually gets pulled from the alternate list.

I got accepted into Hawaii!! I'm ecstatic as this is my first school of choice! However some of my family and friends are trying to convince me to go to another school I got into. They say Hawaii doesn't have a good lab yet and may have limited career opportunities? Also, does anyone know about rotations in neighbor islands? Is it easy to find a temporary place to stay while doing your rotations? Can anyone who is attending the school now please tell me anything about this school, including how they like the school and its program? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't they do interviews all the way up through April or May? So they will keep accepting people and the alternate pool will just continue to grow.... Because if they don't deny anyone they interview, they will probably have a couple hundred people in their alternate category by the time school starts. I for one do not have the time, energy or resources to save my spot at another school 'just in case,' then move my butt, my dog and my favorite stuff from the middle of the mainland all the way to Hawaii the week before school. Not to mention that if you pull out of another pharm school the week before it starts you are doing the exact same thing to another student. Cuz when your spot opens up, they will fill it the day before.. And that's saying you'd even be one of the lucky ones that eventually gets pulled from the alternate list.

Most pharmacy schools operate like this. Usually the ratio of interview to acceptance is 2:1 or 3:1, which is pretty common. I actually prefer the alternative list as opposed to straghit up rejection. At least you get a chance with the alternative list. If you don't hear back from them May and June, you should just go with other schools.

It sounds weird to me that they would accept people a week before the class (do they actually do that?). I wonder how these people would get all the required documents ready, because the dead line is suppose to be June.

I guess the alternative list is great for someone who has family there, and don't mind waiting to the last second for acceptance. I would give school a final call or email around May to double check your status. Good Luck!