University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys so I was really sick during my Physics midterm and I wound up getting a D- on it, now I'm terrified that if I wind up with a C- in the class I'll lose my acceptance to U of I. Has anyone heard of this happening, do they rescind acceptance you if you get below a certain grade? Do they ask for ur final semester transcript after you have been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so I was really sick during my Physics midterm and I wound up getting a D- on it, now I'm terrified that if I wind up with a C- in the class I'll lose my acceptance to U of I. Has anyone heard of this happening, do they rescind acceptance you if you get below a certain grade? Do they ask for ur final semester transcript after you have been accepted?
I'm sure if it's a pre-req and as long as you pass it with their required pre-req grade it's fine. At this point your gpa and everything else doesn't really matter as long as you PASS your pre-req, I'm sure they need to assure that you completed the classes like everyone else.

Hey guys! I was accepted into the program and I am just trying to decide if the U of I vet program is going to be the right fit for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am deciding between U of I and St. George's University. Any info you guys can throw at me would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I was accepted into the program and I am just trying to decide if the U of I vet program is going to be the right fit for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am deciding between U of I and St. George's University. Any info you guys can throw at me would be great!
Biggest thing that'd be for me is cost. Not just tuition, but cost of living, likelihood of maybe working part time to offset loan amount needed, and feasibility of travel. U of I is higher end on tuition but cost of living, if you're smart about it, can be fairly low. There's also lots of public transportation that runs way late into the night. Like, I've gotten off at 3am from work and still seen buses running. Do whatever you feel is best for you, but be realistic about costs and what you believe is reasonable for you to handle for your future as far as debt.

Reactions: 1 user
@pinkpuppy9
I saw that you mentioned you are out of state and I will be entering this year as a non-resident. I am trying to look into becoming a resident for the future 3 years in order to get in-state tuition, but haven't been able to find any info on how or even if that is possible. Have you tried to do this or do you know if its even possible? Its a huge difference in price! Thanks!

@pinkpuppy9
I saw that you mentioned you are out of state and I will be entering this year as a non-resident. I am trying to look into becoming a resident for the future 3 years in order to get in-state tuition, but haven't been able to find any info on how or even if that is possible. Have you tried to do this or do you know if its even possible? Its a huge difference in price! Thanks!

You unfortunately cannot change your residency status unless you are or become married and your spouse makes more than half of tuition in income.

@pinkpuppy9
Yep, what Schatzi said. I believe the spouse has to be an IL resident as well.

Technically you can make the money yourself, but that's super hard to do on top of vet school.

I'm a guy that will probably looking for people to live with, just to to throw my name out there. No pets yet...

Does anyone know if Illinois have always offered double the amount of seats to OOS and still seen waitlist movement. Or is offering 120 seats new this year?

A friend of mine was accepted to St. George, and I am going to U of I. I don't know too much about St. G, but I am picking U of I because of the hands-on curriculum with clinical rotations each year, the focus on improving their educational quality for students (since they want to up their national ranking), their opportunities with exotics and pocket pets (where I want to focus) through electives (but you are not forced picking a track), and finally the energy of the community had such a positive influence on myself........ and to note, emotionally, I could not go to St. George's because its too far away for me

Does anyone know if Illinois have always offered double the amount of seats to OOS and still seen waitlist movement. Or is offering 120 seats new this year?

A lot of schools offer significantly more students seat than they have and still have waitlist movement. Because U of I is on the mid-high level of tuition, I would imagine that there will be some waitlist movement as people are accepted to their instate or cheaper OOS schools. The acceptance letter said that we would start hearing/getting more info in May, so I would wager that the waitlist will start moving in April after the signing date.

A lot of schools offer significantly more students seat than they have and still have waitlist movement. Because U of I is on the mid-high level of tuition, I would imagine that there will be some waitlist movement as people are accepted to their instate or cheaper OOS schools. The acceptance letter said that we would start hearing/getting more info in May, so I would wager that the waitlist will start moving in April after the signing date.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys!
I've been accepted to U of I OOS! Is there anyone who is looking for a roommate or thinking about housing yet?:)

I'm looking into houses for rent. mostly 4br/5br with a fenced in yard so I can have my dogs. I'm planning on buying a nice heated and weather proofed dog house so they can stay outside during the school day. hoping finding roomates won't be too hard

sooo lightly looking into housing right now and moving towards a house with multiple bedrooms and a fenced in yard. most of the places are about 350-550 per month (per bedroom) not including utilities that fall under this criteria. a couple places look really nice but I want to know how many people are looking for roommates before I start to seriously consider a place like that.

sooo lightly looking into housing right now and moving towards a house with multiple bedrooms and a fenced in yard. most of the places are about 350-550 per month (per bedroom) not including utilities that fall under this criteria. a couple places look really nice but I want to know how many people are looking for roommates before I start to seriously consider a place like that.
I am also looking for a roommate. I am considering a house too because I want to bringing my dogs and cat with me.

Hey guys! I have been looking East of campus in Urbana (about 5-10 minute drive). Is this a relatively safe area? Mostly between County Rd 1500 N and County Rd 1400 N. Thanks! :)

My top two choices at this point are The Village and The Place. That rent for the 4 bed/4 bath is on point for what I'm looking for. I called The Place today and they said that while the apartments are furnished, they can remove the furniture, which would be nice in my bedroom since I have a bed with drawers in the base of it. They also said that the pet limit is flexible as long as everyone in the apartment agrees.

I'm kind of stuck in limbo right now. Currently waiting to hear back from Orchard Downs and the same time there are a million places to look into for a 1 bedroom/studio. The Village and the Place are out since I don't want to live with anyone. Meh.

I was really feeling living alone since I haven't had a roommate since second semester sophomore year. But my cheap-skateness is just too strong.

Leopard Spots, post: 17528482, member: 750893"]So I've officially decided to attend Illinois and I'm trying to figure out housing/financial stuff. Below are a few questions that I would love some input on, if possible!

- Are there any apartment buildings within biking distance to the school (or at least close enough to walk to during the winter)? It's hard for me to imagine paying over $600 just to park at the school plus whatever my apartment building charges me for parking.
There are multiple people that bike/walk and there are apartment buildings close enough. Parkside (all apartments are 2bed/1bath) is within 2 miles and Stone Ridge Square is just over 2 miles (have 1 bed apartments up to 3 bed). There is also Fairlawn Village, that are like individual cottages. All are in Urbana. I thought I was going to bike, but then with the varying schedule of clinical rotations during 1st year, I didn't want to be biking at night and caved to by a parking pass.
- I saw something about a fee for using loans each semester? Is this for real...? lol..?
News to me, but I'm not surprised. I avoid looking at my bill and my current debt amount.
- If you're instate, have you had to take out the Grad PLUS loan? It seems like the Stafford/Health professions loan may be enough for me to get by (I'm trying to see if I can get the total COA to about 43-45k).
I would assume the $40500 should be all they have to take out, unless they have some insane expenses and no savings.
- Are there any additional fees for the 4th year?
You don't have to pay full tuition for the summer between 3rd and 4th, but you do have to pay university fees. So it is something like $3000. Other expenses are for your externships that you should to take, if you want.
- If I want to live by myself, does anyone have a general range for how much I should allot for rent per month?
I would expect something above $600 for sure, at least when I looked a couple of years ago.
- Which apartment complexes are considered a bit more "high end?" I've seen first hand what typical housing is like after living in a large college town, so I'm willing to pay a bit more to live somewhere that isn't disgusting/bug infested/managed horribly.
Parkside is okay, I lived there 1st year. Stone Ridge definitely is a lot better with actually having a balcony and I think a better quality. I don't know anything about The Place and I've heard a few people unhappy about the Village.
- If I were to wait until after I graduate in early May to physically go to U of I to look at apartments, would this be too late to find something decent?
I didn't look at apartments until July and yes things did fill up, but I found a decent place for 1st year. I moved 2nd year because I found something with extra perks for the same price.
- After sending your deposit, when do you typically hear more from U of I (Fb page, etc. - what is typically included in the admissions package?)
Sometime in the summer, probably June

Still a current hopeful waitlister over here! In the mean time I was wondering if there's anything I should begin doing to be more prepared if I do get called off the waitlist. I was recently told to do my fasfa so I have started that and are just waiting on my final tax report from my account, but anything else to begin doing to be ready if I get lucky! :)

Does anyone know (maybe current students stalking) about registering a car that was bought out of state? Do I have to get it registered in Illinois? I believe certain states don't require registration if you are a student. Thanks!

I'm starting to lean more toward having one, maybe 2 roommates but I'd still really like to be in a house somewhere instead of an apartment complex.
I'm pretty quiet, but it doesn't matter to me if any roommates are. Like I said before, I do have a med/large dog, and he's great with cats, takes a little bit to warm up to other dogs but it can be done! Don't care about gender. Currently in the St Louis area (IL side). I just am getting antsy, not really looking forward to waiting until the FB page goes up in May/June before I start looking for potential roommates!

If anyone is looking for a place to live over the summer, like if you are planning on moving here way before the school year starts, I am subletting my one bedroom apartment at The Village (I'm a current student).

From living at The Village and having friends at The Place, I can speak for both of them if anyone has any questions. Both are a good deal financially, but I think The Village is better quality. I lived alone all year (up until now with my fiance moving out here), and I know that that isn't an affordable option for everyone, but I really do recommend it. The days at school are long, and sometimes it's really nice to come home and not have to deal with anyone.

I can also confirm that in order to become an IL resident for tuition purposes you must be married to another IL resident that makes a decent salary. I am currently in the process of doing this, and I will probably only get my 4th year tuition reduced.

Would it be frowned upon if somebody made an "unofficial" fb page until the school gets one up and running?

I am also looking for a roommate. I am considering a house too because I want to bringing my dogs and cat with me.
I'll have both my dogs too, but it takes one of them a while to warm up to other dogs, and I can't live with cats unfortunately

I was really feeling living alone since I haven't had a roommate since second semester sophomore year. But my cheap-skateness is just too strong.
I haven't had a roommate since freshman year of college...so definitely in the same boat. hoping finding a larger house on the cheaper side will allow more space but still have the benefits that having a roommate gives

If anyone is looking for a place to live over the summer, like if you are planning on moving here way before the school year starts, I am subletting my one bedroom apartment at The Village (I'm a current student).

From living at The Village and having friends at The Place, I can speak for both of them if anyone has any questions. Both are a good deal financially, but I think The Village is better quality. I lived alone all year (up until now with my fiance moving out here), and I know that that isn't an affordable option for everyone, but I really do recommend it. The days at school are long, and sometimes it's really nice to come home and not have to deal with anyone.

I can also confirm that in order to become an IL resident for tuition purposes you must be married to another IL resident that makes a decent salary. I am currently in the process of doing this, and I will probably only get my 4th year tuition reduced.
Hey! I'm thinking of going to The Place, but I wanted to get residents' opinions on if noise will be an issue. I'm more of a quiet person during school since I'm usually studying and I'm a light sleeper, so I'd prefer to not be somewhere where there are people screaming and partying at all hours during the week. I've heard that the walls are actually decent for soundproofing, but one person said that it was noisy. Do you or your friends have any thoughts on that?

I'm not super picky on apartment quality... to me, the fact that they have all of those awesome amenities is way better than what I have now. I'd probably also ask to be roomed with other vet students :)

I'm starting to lean more toward having one, maybe 2 roommates but I'd still really like to be in a house somewhere instead of an apartment complex.
I'm pretty quiet, but it doesn't matter to me if any roommates are. Like I said before, I do have a med/large dog, and he's great with cats, takes a little bit to warm up to other dogs but it can be done! Don't care about gender. Currently in the St Louis area (IL side). I just am getting antsy, not really looking forward to waiting until the FB page goes up in May/June before I start looking for potential roommates!
I am planning on bringing my two larger dogs and my cat. One of my dogs also takes a little bit to warm up to new dogs and people and my cat LOVES dogs. If you are still interested let me know and we maybe able to work something out.

i've decided on the place for my first year. bringing my cat...would like to room with other vet students also.

Did you guys get the email from Dr. Foreman today regarding the construction? It was nice to hear something from the school. I am so anxious to start getting ready!!

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys get the email from Dr. Foreman today regarding the construction? It was nice to hear something from the school. I am so anxious to start getting ready!!
I got the email as well, I am a waitlister though.

Been lurking for the past year, but this is my first time posting.

I finally decied to attend U of I, but I am hoping to bring my chinchilla, a few rats, and maybe my gecko out with me. Does anyone have suggestions for finding housing that allows exotics? I've checked with both the Place and the Village and neither do.

I got the email as well, I am a waitlister though.
Me too. Got super excited to see a U of I email since I finally cleared out all the junk from them, only for it to be about construction. o_O At least they're still thinking of us as prospective students?

Me too. Got super excited to see a U of I email since I finally cleared out all the junk from them, only for it to be about construction. o_O At least they're still thinking of us as prospective students?
Lol when I saw an email I was like omg omg omg. Hahah but yeah just construction :( hopefully a good one to come later!

Been lurking for the past year, but this is my first time posting.

I finally decied to attend U of I, but I am hoping to bring my chinchilla, a few rats, and maybe my gecko out with me. Does anyone have suggestions for finding housing that allows exotics? I've checked with both the Place and the Village and neither do.
One of my friends lives in an apartment complex at Colorado and Philo Rd. I don't remember the name of it, but she has a rabbit without any problems. I'd try there. The apartments are nice and she rarely has any problems with the neighbors.

One of my friends lives in an apartment complex at Colorado and Philo Rd. I don't remember the name of it, but she has a rabbit without any problems. I'd try there. The apartments are nice and she rarely has any problems with the neighbors.
Prairie winds? That's actually really close to vet med! I might have to check that out if I get in. It's far enough away from main campus that I doubt many if any undergrad students are there.

Peeps who are in U of I Vet Med: how is your daily life juggling studies? What does your everyday schedule look like? Do you have time for like personal things like working out, cooking, spending time with friends/pets? Or is it all just like study study study? :pompous:

As long as they have an available apartment, it looks like I'm going for Orchard Downs this year. It's university housing so I won't have to deal with a random landlord/company, pretty cheap for a 1 bedroom, includes a ton of amenities (basically everything except electricity it looks like), and is right across the street from the vet school.

If anyone has any other reviews/pros or cons to living here in the mean time, please let me know!

Is that the family housing? I thought I saw someone mention that

Prairie winds? That's actually really close to vet med! I might have to check that out if I get in. It's far enough away from main campus that I doubt many if any undergrad students are there.
It looks like Prarie Wimds is a senior only community (ages 65+)

That is Stone Ridge Square at Philo and Colorado. They allow exotics. I know other vet students with reptiles, birds and rabbits. Parkside (basically Philo and Florida) also allows exotics. I have a friend that lives there and she didn't pay pet rent for her rabbit, at least a few years ago.

Hi everyone I have been accepted to the University of Illinois. Along with the University of Missouri and Purdue. I have finally made my decision to go the the University of Illinois. I am starting to look into housing. I am actually looking into a Condo. I have found some really nice ones that appear to be a reasonable amount to rent. I am a girl looking for a roommate. I am also bringing my chocolate lab Zoey with me. That picture is old she is much bigger now, but she loves everyone. If you would be interested in possible rooming with me please let me know.

Last edited:
McVet007 found the name of the place and some other apartments that might be helpful to you. Stone Ridge Square and Parkside.

Is The Village a 12 month lease? Also, do current CVM students have reviews on The Pointe... I like that its closer to campus, but if its full of underclassmen, I want to stay away and probably commit to The Village and suck up the distance.