University of Illinois c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There stat online said their OOS class is 60 students, and 70 IS. So i assume the invite 100? Which would be 50%. That's what I was thinking, just wanted to know if someone knew for sure.

Oh I totes thought they only had 120 in their class with an 80/40 spread! I even just looked in my "vet school application binder" and see that there are 60 OOS seats.... Where did I get 40? lol. So, yeah, I would assume 100 then as well. So that means it is 50% chance of acceptance if they interview 200. It gets better if they don't.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I totes thought they only had 120 in their class with an 80/40 spread! I even just looked in my "vet school application binder" and see that there are 60 OOS seats.... Where did I get 40? lol. So, yeah, I would assume 100 then as well. So that means it is 50% chance of acceptance if they interview 200. It gets better if they don't.
I think it used to be 40, cause my old papers I printed last year said 40. Well thats cool though, they upped the class size for OOS.

Is anyone calling to verify they have received confirmation for the interview acceptance email? Or should I just assume so once I have sent my reply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering the same thing. The trend across vet schools is that you invite 50% to 100% more OOS than your target since a huge chunk will decline for their IS. So with UIUC wanting 40 OOS, then they would probably accept 60-80 would be my guess. Which, out of 200, are not terrible odds all things considered.

I wonder if they really interview 200, though. It seems they send out all 200 invites on the same day and there have to be some who decline their interview. Do they fill those empty spots or do they leave them empty? The last three years worth of Illinois threads never show someone getting an invite a few days after everyone else.

Are you saying that they accepted 40-50 OOS people for your class?
:smack:Oh jeez just ignore me! Completely misread that. Probably shouldn't SDN and cook at the same time.

I don't know that the school has published how many OOS offers go out. Based off of what I think, I think they accept a considerable amount of OOS. I'd guess around 100. I also wouldn't be surprised in the least if your guys' class size increased by another 10 OOS, either (that's what my class did).

Is anyone calling to verify they have received confirmation for the interview acceptance email? Or should I just assume so once I have sent my reply?
they will respond with your interview time after the deadline to reasond date which is Jan 28th

Reactions: 1 user
they will respond with your interview time after the deadline to reasond date which is Jan 28th
Wow, is it just me or does that seem super far away?
I guess it's a good thing that I already started putting travel plans together, and decided not to wait for that confirmation.

Wow, is it just me or does that seem super far away?
I guess it's a good thing that I already started putting travel plans together, and decided not to wait for that confirmation.
Lol yeah I have everything booked even my rental car lol

Me too! I'm sure they got my email, but I can't help but worry that they didn't for some reason!

Ya this is freaking me out too lol.. if you're that one person they happen to miss...

Just have to book the hotel in UC. Otherwise, my parents and I are going to drive from Denver and make things up as we go. That'll be a lot of driving from Nebraska to Denver to Illinois in five days. But it'll be sweet.

I don't think that they are planning to increase the amount of seats for next year. I think it will still be 130 like our year is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any current students be willing to post a pros/cons list about Illinois? I know there have been some made in the past on the "Factors when picking a school" thread, but most of these seem pretty outdated at this point. Some of the possible topics I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in knowing more about are the following:

- **typical caseload in SA/LA/exotics/Wildlife Clinic/etc. Do you get to see exotic companion animals in the SA clinic?
- typical cost of living per month in champaign (studio/1 bedroom apartments are mostly what I'm interested in)
- likelihood of getting some sort of scholarship
- ***any info on what is happening with the classroom renovation situation would be awesome (specifically if this will be over with by the fall...)
- PBL opportunities?
- what kind of surgical experience do you get/how much of it? (spays, neuters, etc.)
- ***thoughts on building facilities (anatomy labs, classrooms, teaching hospital, etc)? I remember touring Illinois a few years ago and overall it seemed fairly dark, cramped spaces, and in need of some renovations
- Do you get exams back? How are these scheduled with the new curriculum?
- Are all classes recorded?
- How are class notes distributed (for free online, printed for you, etc.)?
- Thoughts on the elective courses?
- Is parking easily available to students? If so, how much does it cost? Located near school?
- How are the gym facilities at UofI?
- overall thoughts on the curriculum structure? are there any changes that incoming first years should expect? *Is the clinical experience in your first year even that beneficial?
- *Any proposed tuition increases in the near future? As you might be able to tell, I'm kind of nervous about the budget situation in Illinois...
- 24 hour building access?
- Are you able to freely observe procedures in the hospital (even as first years)?
- job/volunteer opportunities for first years in the teaching hospital?
- opportunities for vet students to get experience at Shedd/Brookfield?
- thoughts on the location of the school itself
- how long are the summers for students? What years do vet students have the summers available for externships?
- thoughts on the class size? too large? (I guess 130 isn't too bad compared to places like OSU)
- how are breaks structured on a typical class day? enough time to workout, study, etc. during this time?
- any other annoying nuances (or good things)?

I know some of these things are fairly specific and strange, but I'm just trying to get the best picture of the school as I can before the interview. Any info on some of these would definitely be appreciated! If anyone else wants to add to this list, feel free!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@Tbeezer Here's my take:

- **typical caseload in SA/LA/exotics/Wildlife Clinic/etc. Do you get to see exotic companion animals in the SA clinic? Yes, as long as you're on the exotics/zoo med rotation. We have a decent exotics program here (electives and faculty).
- typical cost of living per month in champaign (studio/1 bedroom apartments are mostly what I'm interested in) I'd say it's about average for most college towns. A 1 bed would probably be around 700-800 before utilities (that's what I've found).
- likelihood of getting some sort of scholarship The school ha quite a few scholarships that anyone can apply for each January. Many have their own requirements that you may/may not qualify for, and then it depends on how competitive you are (in regard to your essays, financial need, etc.)
- ***any info on what is happening with the classroom renovation situation would be awesome (specifically if this will be over with by the fall...) No one besides the politicians could answer this. It's completely dependent on the state government signing the budget for the year (which they did not do)
- PBL opportunities? We have a clinical correlations course which is close to PBL where we are sometimes given cases to analyze, but it's not the bulk of our curriculum.
- what kind of surgical experience do you get/how much of it? (spays, neuters, etc.) You can easily graduate with only have done 1 spay and 1 neuter (I think that applies for almost any school) if you don't luck out on rotations. If you take shelter med, you will get around 50-60 surgeries done. The surgery rotations allow students to scrub in and assist, but it's not that common for a student to actually operate as far as I know.
- ***thoughts on building facilities (anatomy labs, classrooms, teaching hospital, etc)? I remember touring Illinois a few years ago and overall it seemed fairly dark, cramped spaces, and in need of some renovations The hospital is definitely too small for the current class sizes and case load, especially when 1st/2nd years are on rotations. You just make it work though. The classrooms are fine (assuming they open...) and we have the 24 hour skills lab which is good.
- Do you get exams back? How are these scheduled with the new curriculum? All exams are on your laptop. You don't get exams back or get to see the questions ever again, but you get a score report with a breakdown of how well you did in each subject. Our prof set up time for us to review the anatomy exam answers with our answer sheets, but you can't keep anything. You have 1 quiz, 1 midterm, and one final per quarter (except for rotation quarters). We are the first class to have quizzes.
- Are all classes recorded? Echo360 (voice recording and any scribbles on the projection during class)
- How are class notes distributed (for free online, printed for you, etc.)? They are uploaded as PDFs or Powerpoints on the class website. You can use them however you want
- Thoughts on the elective courses? We have a good variety, and you aren't limited to one track.
- Is parking easily available to students? If so, how much does it cost? Located near school? Parking is available for $600/year. There is no close parking that is free. You'd park right across the street.
- How are the gym facilities at UofI? My roommate loves the gym, and it's free to students!
- overall thoughts on the curriculum structure? are there any changes that incoming first years should expect? *Is the clinical experience in your first year even that beneficial? I think the clinical experience is beneficial. I haven't heard of any upcoming changes. I personally dislike that all of our subjects are on one exam, but that's just how I feel. You need to have a 70% overall for the year and at least a 60% in each quarter to pass, and some people find that intimidating (no school is easy, though)
- *Any proposed tuition increases in the near future? As you might be able to tell, I'm kind of nervous about the budget situation in Illinois... I'm pretty sure almost every school increases tuition each year. I don't foresee the school doing some crazy increase to make up for a lack of budget.
- 24 hour building access? Yep! Access to skills center, anatomy lab, everything.
- Are you able to freely observe procedures in the hospital (even as first years)? You won't really have time during the week, but the small animal surgery suites have large windows. The farms clinicians also welcome you to come in and help/watch at any time.
- job/volunteer opportunities for first years in the teaching hospital? Front desk, unsterile surgical assistant (on call), ICU assistant (on call), library aide are the ones we've gotten emails for.
- opportunities for vet students to get experience at Shedd/Brookfield? You can apply for externships there, but know that they are quite competitive. There is a zoo med resident that goes through Shedd you could connect with, but as for you getting to go there, it would depend.
- thoughts on the location of the school itself The college town itself is busy with traffic on the main roads. Surrounding the school is a lot of farmland. We're about 2 hours from Chicago.
- how long are the summers for students? What years do vet students have the summers available for externships? We have a standard 3 month summer. You have the summers after your first and second years.
- thoughts on the class size? too large? (I guess 130 isn't too bad compared to places like OSU) I think we're a little large personally, but I don't think it has effected my learning at all.
- how are breaks structured on a typical class day? enough time to workout, study, etc. during this time? You have an hour (sometimes 2) for lunch each day, that's guaranteed. You start at 8 or 9AM. You will be done anywhere from 3-5 depending on the day/your electives. Sometimes you'll have an hour between your last class and an elective. Definitely time to study, but idk about hitting the gym.
- any other annoying nuances (or good things)? I think the faculty are regularly pretty disorganized. Communication mishaps happen, we're told the wrong things, etc. No school is perfect, but that annoys me a lot.

Reactions: 4 users
Does U of I allow you to claim residency permits

Not according to most "residency" threads that hve been posted over the years. Once you're OOS, you stay OOS.

Not according to most "residency" threads that hve been posted over the years. Once you're OOS, you stay OOS.
Correct (unfortunately :rolleyes:)

Edit:
@Tbeezer I'll expand on the Wildlife/exotics/caseload stuff a bit now that I'm home.

You do get quite a lot of hands-on experience in the Wildlife Clinic. Each team is 100% responsible/accountable for the care of their patient. You diagnose, prescribe, and even get to release if you're lucky. You will be required to be on call periodically where you will receive cases from 9AM-9PM and treat any overnight dropoffs bright and early in the morning. This means you will be triaging and developing a lot of technical skills such as blood draws, catheters, drug calcs, etc. As with any wildlife rehab work, there is a lot of death. Also, come orphan season (spring/summer), it does become quite a time commitment. If you get called in for pager at 9PM, you have to go in...I've been in the clinic until midnight just triaging one patient. It doesn't matter that you have your final the next morning, you're committed. It is a wonderful experience if you can get past all that. The Wildlife Clinic also consults with quite a few of the SA services (optho, orthopedic sx, soft tissue sx, diagnostic medicine, imaging). I will say that in some cases, you don't always get the chance to see the 'cool' stuff (surgeries, diagnostic images, etc). unless you are willing to sacrifice your lunch or skip class to do it. That's totally your choice though.

As for caseload, our hospital is regularly very very busy. Large animal caseload seems to change a bit with the seasons. Farm animals seem to come in less frequently during harvest/show seasons, for example. I think probably every SA service but derm/dentistry are nearly booked up (if not completely booked) every day they see appointments or are in surgery. We even have clients that are closer to Purdue, but come to UIUC because of certain services or because Purdue themselves sent them to us. I didn't get to do the zoo med/exotics rotation this year (hopefully next year!), but they are fairly busy and get to see some pretty amazing things.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Correct (unfortunately :rolleyes:)

Edit:
@Tbeezer I'll expand on the Wildlife/exotics/caseload stuff a bit now that I'm home.

You do get quite a lot of hands-on experience in the Wildlife Clinic. Each team is 100% responsible/accountable for the care of their patient. You diagnose, prescribe, and even get to release if you're lucky. You will be required to be on call periodically where you will receive cases from 9AM-9PM and treat any overnight dropoffs bright and early in the morning. This means you will be triaging and developing a lot of technical skills such as blood draws, catheters, drug calcs, etc. As with any wildlife rehab work, there is a lot of death. Also, come orphan season (spring/summer), it does become quite a time commitment. If you get called in for pager at 9PM, you have to go in...I've been in the clinic until midnight just triaging one patient. It doesn't matter that you have your final the next morning, you're committed. It is a wonderful experience if you can get past all that. The Wildlife Clinic also consults with quite a few of the SA services (optho, orthopedic sx, soft tissue sx, diagnostic medicine, imaging). I will say that in some cases, you don't always get the chance to see the 'cool' stuff (surgeries, diagnostic images, etc). unless you are willing to sacrifice your lunch or skip class to do it. That's totally your choice though.

As for caseload, our hospital is regularly very very busy. Large animal caseload seems to change a bit with the seasons. Farm animals seem to come in less frequently during harvest/show seasons, for example. I think probably every SA service but derm/dentistry are nearly booked up (if not completely booked) every day they see appointments or are in surgery. We even have clients that are closer to Purdue, but come to UIUC because of certain services or because Purdue themselves sent them to us. I didn't get to do the zoo med/exotics rotation this year (hopefully next year!), but they are fairly busy and get to see some pretty amazing things.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message me!
Ahhh Illinois sounds so amazing <3

Does U of I allow you to claim residency permits

If you have magical powers you can change residency. It is basically impossible to do it as an individual. It is much easier for married people who have a spouse working full-time. You could then change after 1 year.

[/QUOTE] any other annoying nuances (or good things)? I think the faculty are regularly pretty disorganized. Communication mishaps happen, we're told the wrong things, etc. No school is perfect, but that annoys me a lot.[/QUOTE]

This...

If you have magical powers you can change residency. It is basically impossible to do it as an individual. It is much easier for married people who have a spouse working full-time. You could then change after 1 year.
They definitely don't advertise this then. I've heard of some schools making rare exceptions like this, but wouldn't the spouse have to prove he/she didn't move to IL solely for you to attend school?

They definitely don't advertise this then. I've heard of some schools making rare exceptions like this, but wouldn't the spouse have to prove he/she didn't move to IL solely for you to attend school?

The spouse needs to show they have been a bona fide Illinois resident for 1 year. You have to get an Illinois license, registration and file taxes. It doesn't matter why the spouse moved as long as they become a resident and are earning money. This is if the spouse is also a non-resident originally. You could always go marry someone from Illinois and it would change your residency with the next semester.;)

When trying to gain by yourself, you somehow have to earn like half your tuition in addition to the other stuff. They purposely don't advertise it. You can find residency info on the University website.

Last edited:
- **typical caseload in SA/LA/exotics/Wildlife Clinic/etc. Do you get to see exotic companion animals in the SA clinic?
This seriously varies on the time of year, if any holidays are coming up, and even the day of the week. When I was on WEAMS rotation last year we were super busy one day and kind of dead the next. ER for me was super slow but for others they were always running around. Wildlife clinic is super busy during the spring/summer months and dies down a lot in the winter. It's a good experience to gain more technical experience. And yes, you will see lots of exotic companions in the SA clinic when you're on WEAMS.
- typical cost of living per month in champaign (studio/1 bedroom apartments are mostly what I'm interested in)
I can't really help much with this. I have so many animals that it limits my availability as far as housing so I end up paying more than a lot of other people.
- likelihood of getting some sort of scholarship
There's a lot of scholarships available but very few are over $1,000. It'll help a little, but you have to write essays to even apply. I've never been successful in getting any though.
- ***any info on what is happening with the classroom renovation situation would be awesome (specifically if this will be over with by the fall...)
UUUGGGGGHHHH, we've been going in circles about this topic honestly. Several people in my class, including myself, are working on getting a meeting going with the Dean to get better answers and some progress on the classroom situation. As of right now, and this is coming from a faculty member, there's no new information that anything will be done about the classrooms any time in the near or far future.
- PBL opportunities?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this abbreviation so maybe?
- what kind of surgical experience do you get/how much of it? (spays, neuters, etc.)
In your third year, everyone will do every aspect of surgery (actual surgery, anesthesia, prep, tech support, etc) on spays and neuters. As fourth years, you're going to have the surgery rotation in which you will possibly help with other kinds of surgeries. It all depends on what comes in.
- ***thoughts on building facilities (anatomy labs, classrooms, teaching hospital, etc)? I remember touring Illinois a few years ago and overall it seemed fairly dark, cramped spaces, and in need of some renovations
They've done some renovations to the anatomy lab to accommodate the increased class size, which is a whole other topic, and to make it safer. The library is also being renovated and a lot of construction has been done on all locations in the large and small animal clinics. However, construction has stopped in the clinical skills building as well as our classrooms so we have lost some of our technical skills space.
- Do you get exams back? How are these scheduled with the new curriculum?
Yes and no. You will find out what questions you got wrong and have an opportunity to look over those questions, but you will never get to keep a physical copy of the exam. Professors like reusing questions every year so they don't want them to get spread around. All the exams are done on the computer as well.
- Are all classes recorded?
They're supposed to be recorded, except review sessions. Sometimes the recording doesn't work. Allen is pretty good about fixing it quickly as possible though.
- How are class notes distributed (for free online, printed for you, etc.)?
All powerpoint lectures will be provided online hopefully before class. Sometimes they don't get put up on time but that's fairly uncommon. Most people use OneNote or Growly Notes to take the notes for class so it's rare to have anything printed out for you.
- Thoughts on the elective courses?
There's so many options in so many different fields that this question is really impossible to answer. It really depends on what you're interested in.
- Is parking easily available to students? If so, how much does it cost? Located near school?
Yes, there's plenty of parking within 5 minute walking distance to the basic science building. It's super expensive though, like $640/year.
- How are the gym facilities at UofI?
I can't help you there. I don't go to the gym.
- overall thoughts on the curriculum structure? are there any changes that incoming first years should expect? *Is the clinical experience in your first year even that beneficial?
I love the curriculum of this school and is the reason why I applied in the first place. Now that they've restructured the rotations for first and second year, I feel they'll be way more useful. I'm a kinetic learner so being able to actually do stuff and apply what I've learned helps it stick better for me.
- *Any proposed tuition increases in the near future? As you might be able to tell, I'm kind of nervous about the budget situation in Illinois...
I really hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hiked up the tuition again. Again, one of many things we plan to talk to the Dean about more extensively.
- 24 hour building access?
As long as you have your I card, you'll have access to all the buildings at the college.
- Are you able to freely observe procedures in the hospital (even as first years)?
Surgery has huge windows and tvs where you can watch surgeries, but please don't ever disturb them. Everything else, not so much unless you get a job in the clinic, volunteer in wildlife, or on rotations.
- job/volunteer opportunities for first years in the teaching hospital?
Lots pop up all the time.
- opportunities for vet students to get experience at Shedd/Brookfield?
Again, lots pop up all the time but it's almost all volunteer until you get higher up in like third/fourth years.
- thoughts on the location of the school itself
If it was any closer to main campus, I'd be incredibly annoyed. I hate dealing with undergrads on campus because they never pay attention to where they're going. Driving in snow/icy roads and trying not to hit people that walk out in front of you is stressful beyond stressful.
- how long are the summers for students? What years do vet students have the summers available for externships?
We get mid May to late August for summers. You only get a summer vacation first and second years. Last quarter of third year is when you enter fourth year clinics.
- thoughts on the class size? too large? (I guess 130 isn't too bad compared to places like OSU)
I think the 130 class size is way too big. We don't have the space to fit everyone and be a productive learning environment. Anatomy lab is absolutely maxed out and we only have two full anatomy instructors that know everything inside and out. Everyone else are PhD students or pathologists. It makes it a frustrating situation for a lot of students. The reason the class size increased is to balance out the lack of money we're getting from the state. The more OOS students they accept, more money they can use to pay for everything. Again, something we're going to talk to the Dean about hopefully soon.
- how are breaks structured on a typical class day? enough time to workout, study, etc. during this time?
You get a 10 minute break between every lecture theoretically. Some teachers don't mind the 50 and it makes a lot of people upset, especially with us being in the path lab where we weren't allowed to bring in food or drinks. You pretty much always get noon to 1 free. Latest they will ever hold you in class is 4pm for core classes. There's all your electives that work around the core too. How you manage your time afterwards is up to you.
- any other annoying nuances (or good things)?
Just the lack of motion of our classroom situation and the mass exit of a lot of our faculty. We're losing a lot of good teachers and it makes me sad.

Just called admissions since I never heard back after I called last week, and I guess whoever I talked to back in September was wrong, and they don't accept application materials after the deadline. So the LOR issue screwed me over for here too. Not a big deal at this point since I've been accepted to K-State and am glad not to have to choose between there and Illinois, but it would have been nice to know Illinois wasn't going to consider me months ago! I wish I'd written down the name of who I talked to then. But anyway, looks like I'll be going to Kansas State. :) Good luck to everyone with interviews next month!

Reactions: 3 users
I have a question for current students. How do you get surgery experience once you graduate from U of I if you graduate with doing very few surgeries on your own while in school?

I have a question for current students. How do you get surgery experience once you graduate from U of I if you graduate with doing very few surgeries on your own while in school?
You get it on the job or with CE. Like I said, you can graduate having done only 2 surgeries (the required spay/neuter) or having done quite a few, some with you being the actual surgeon. When you're on orthopedic/soft tissue surgery rotations, you don't actually operate (at least not here). You assist, the residents or clinician operate. That's the case for most schools. Sometimes, you get to do more on certain rotations, but it depends. I've seen fourth years do minor optho surgery (eyelid mass removal). The thing to understand is that the order of operations (literally, lol) is clinician -> residents -> interns -> fourth year. It also really depends on the nature of the surgery. You will certainly be scrubbed in often and holding retractors, but as for actually cutting, that's not going to happen all the time.

Starting to get a little nervous about what I'm hearing about Illinois...

Starting to get a little nervous about what I'm hearing about Illinois...
...why? When it comes to surgical experience, that's pretty much how it is in veterinary schools. It's all about your luck with cases/clinicians and how they feel you can handle it.

ETA: You can also arrange for externships where you would get surgical experience. It seems that spending time in private practices allows for a lot more surgery!

Last edited:
Mostly about how unorganized everything seems. I have a few friends that are 3rd years that have all told me the same thing. The budget situation doesn't help much either. I guess we'll see how things are on Feb 15th

Mostly about how unorganized everything seems. I have a few friends that are 3rd years that have all told me the same thing. The budget situation doesn't help much either. I guess we'll see how things are on Feb 15th
Yeah I really don't know what to tell you about the budget thing other than that it really hasn't affected my learning at all, other than we end up in labs for lectures which can be a little uncomfortable. Like I said earlier, I'm sure every school has some aspect of it that current students complain about. It's a good question to ask, but know that you will probably be annoyed with some aspect of a school wherever you end up!

Isn't February 15 a federal holiday?

I was checking because I thought most schools wouldn't have class (my undergrad still stays open for class) and therefore it would be an in service day or a day off for the professors.

Would anyone be willing to share information about their interview experience? I know a lot of schools wont let you tell anyone what the specific questions are but I'd at least like to know the format and the stress level.

Would anyone be willing to share information about their interview experience? I know a lot of schools wont let you tell anyone what the specific questions are but I'd at least like to know the format and the stress level.
I'd say relatively low stress, but I think MMI's are horrible while others really like those. It depends on you!

I was interviewed by a faculty member, a 4th year, and a recent grad. The questions are pretty much your run of the mill veterinary school questions. I don't recall there being any of those tricky "What would you do?" questions. Mine lasted about 10 minutes, some went for 30-45 minutes.

Hey guys, just putting this out here early for anyone who gets accepted and decides to come here. I'm a first year living in an apartment called The Place at 117. The apartments are nice student apartments exactly 2.5 miles away from the vet school. I am moving into a house next year with my fiance' so I will be subleasing my current room. It is a 4 bed 2 bath on the third floor of one of the buildings. This year I've lived here with 3 other first year students and it's been pretty nice. The rent is the least expensive around for a place this nice at $369 per month plus conservice (utilities and such) which usually brings the price per month up to about $390-410. The central building has a weight room, lounge, and computer lab open 24/7, plus a pool and hot tub out back. I filled out my lease renewal early so I now pay even less, although I haven't had to pay the first bill of 2016 yet so I won't know exactly how much they took off until then, but I was told by one of the landlords that I can advertise it as less than market price because I am subleasing it. If any of you will be interested in this, just send me a PM. I will be posting about it more as the semester goes on and people begin to get accepted. I should be seeing a lot of you at interview day on February 1st :). Good luck to everyone!!!

I meant February 15th, sorry for the mistake. Hope no one read that and freaked out.

Last edited:
We are still in school for the 15th, I have actually never attended a school that was off on this day. I would say my interview was low-stress and lasted about 10 minutes as well. I did end up discussing an experience I had with them after they had finished their interview questions so it was more around 15 minutes if you include that.

Also know that these interviews are closed file, so they won't be asking you to talk about specific things in your application.

You get it on the job or with CE. Like I said, you can graduate having done only 2 surgeries (the required spay/neuter) or having done quite a few, some with you being the actual surgeon. When you're on orthopedic/soft tissue surgery rotations, you don't actually operate (at least not here). You assist, the residents or clinician operate. That's the case for most schools. Sometimes, you get to do more on certain rotations, but it depends. I've seen fourth years do minor optho surgery (eyelid mass removal). The thing to understand is that the order of operations (literally, lol) is clinician -> residents -> interns -> fourth year. It also really depends on the nature of the surgery. You will certainly be scrubbed in often and holding retractors, but as for actually cutting, that's not going to happen all the time.

That is not entirely true. During junior year their is an equine surgery elective which allows for additional surgery experience both on live animals and cadavers. On soft tissue, students are allowed to perform elective simple spay/neuters. Many students take a shelter medicine rotation where they get to perform 30+ solo surgeries. You are also allowed to perform a variety of surgeries on RHAMS (food animal rotation) from LDA's to castration. On opthomology students are allowed to perform simple surgeries like enucleations. During professional development depending on your focus there are options for you to be able to perform additional surgeries. Many students also elect for externships off campus where they gain additional surgery experience. It really boils down to your competency and your ambition on how involved you are in the various surgery experiences.

That is not entirely true. During junior year their is an equine surgery elective which allows for additional surgery experience both on live animals and cadavers. On soft tissue, students are allowed to perform elective simple spay/neuters. Many students take a shelter medicine rotation where they get to perform 30+ solo surgeries. You are also allowed to perform a variety of surgeries on RHAMS (food animal rotation) from LDA's to castration. On opthomology students are allowed to perform simple surgeries like enucleations. During professional development depending on your focus there are options for you to be able to perform additional surgeries. Many students also elect for externships off campus where they gain additional surgery experience. It really boils down to your competency and your ambition on how involved you are in the various surgery experiences.
I think we're saying the same thing....that it depends on you, the case, clinician, etc on whether or not you're the surgeon. However, I was told on several rotations that cutting as a student is unlikely, especially if an intern is currently on your service at the time you rotate through. RAHMS actually said it's really rare for a student to be anything but the assistant??

Ugh I have already assisted in hundreds of surgeries as a vet tech.. I am very interested in surgery and was hoping to get some good experience.. the shelter elective sounds promising though

Ugh I have already assisted in hundreds of surgeries as a vet tech.. I am very interested in surgery and was hoping to get some good experience.. the shelter elective sounds promising though
I think this is proof that it really depends, and I still think that applies to all schools. When I was on the farms rotation BB was referring to, there were two surgeries and only a handful of cases. When I was on orthopedic surgery, we were booked solid with appointments and surgeries (again, no student cut in orthopedic surgery). The shelter med elective is consistent with the 50-60 solo spays/neuters. I was told on equine that you will be scrubbed in for your case, but it depends on the resident/case as to how much tissue handling you will do. Optho, the students got to do cryo surgery, but that was also 1 of 2 surgeries scheduled that week. So those 4th years didn't get to do a lot of surgery that week. That's why externships are valuable (and you get a lot of time during 4th year to schedule them if you wish), because no school can provide a 100% consistent experience once you hit clinics.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rant-here-thread.738953/page-522#post-17101248 this bit on this thread kind of shows you how variable it can be across schools, too. It's not like Illinois just doesn't offer surgical experience to students. It seriously depends on the electives you choose, what cases come in, and you yourself.

There's a reason why any practicing veterinarian will tell you to jump on any externships/electives that offer surgical experience. I can't tell you how often I was told that by veterinarians from at least 5 different schools. It's probably impossible to have each student leave any school with an identical clinics/surgery experience. It just won't happen.

ETA: Also, remember that the purpose of veterinary school is to produce graduates who have the knowledge and skills for starting out in the field. You are not expected to be as skilled/experienced as a board certified surgeon at graduation. I've heard stories of a lot of recent grads getting their 'firsts' on their first job. You keep learning from day 1 as a veterinarian.

Last edited:
did anyone get an email with the time of their interview yet? They said the would send that out after our confirmation but I haven't gotten it yet!

They will send your interview time after the interview confirmation deadline (Jan 28) :)

I think we're saying the same thing....that it depends on you, the case, clinician, etc on whether or not you're the surgeon. However, I was told on several rotations that cutting as a student is unlikely, especially if an intern is currently on your service at the time you rotate through. RAHMS actually said it's really rare for a student to be anything but the assistant??

Again, thats not true. If anything RAHMS is the service where you get to lead as primary for a lot of the surgeries. Observing clinics as a first and second year does not give you a full perspective of what is actually happening 4th year.

Again, thats not true. If anything RAHMS is the service where you get to lead as primary for a lot of the surgeries. Observing clinics as a first and second year does not give you a full perspective of what is actually happening 4th year.
Interesting. I wonder why the clinician I talked to told me differently. It's not observing where I drew that conclusion, that's what I was actually told. I wonder if changes are being implemented in that regard, but he did bring up the whole cow fiasco as a concern. I'm wondering if he meant that they plan on changing student surgery protocols or something.

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder why the clinician I talked to told me differently. It's not observing where I drew that conclusion, that's what I was actually told. I wonder if changes are being implemented in that regard, but he did bring up the whole cow fiasco as a concern. I'm wondering if he meant that they plan on changing student surgery protocols or something.
RAHMS is the second year rotation similar to FARMS. You do way more in RAHMS than you ever do in FARMS. I know some of my classmates were doing actual epidurals last week.

RAHMS is the second year rotation similar to FARMS. You do way more in RAHMS than you ever do in FARMS. I know some of my classmates were doing actual epidurals last week.
I wonder if the clinician I asked misunderstood my question and thought I was asking if first years get to be the primary surgeon. In which case I would have expected the answer to be absolutely not, but I was asking about clinical year students :p

Those of you who are current students... How have you been able to manage working and going to school?