University of Minnesota 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an interview invite today for January!!

That's great news---congrats. One step closer :luck: talk about a home-coming, if you get accepted :)

Members don't see this ad.

That's great news---congrats. One step closer :luck: talk about a home-coming, if you get accepted :)

I know, it would be amazing. Such a long wait until interview date though. It just not going to be fun to fly back for xmas and then have to fly back again for the interview three weeks later.

I know, it would be amazing. Such a long wait until interview date though. It just not going to be fun to fly back for xmas and then have to fly back again for the interview three weeks later.

Sounds pricey :(

It is gonna be cooooooooold when you go...my goodness. When I was there, they had a "heat wave" LOL It was 49 for the high.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that interviewed...what did you think was the best part about the university and what was the worse part? Did you enjoy the student panel?
I'm just wondering :)

Also if you have any questions please let me know!

Oh noo, well----fact remains that you'll make it work :) it may be inconvenient but it is what it is. Great opportunity at hand my friend.

I spent over 800$ on my flight to Mn and then to Ca. Had a friday interview in Duluth, had to drive back to the twin cities and flight out that same evening--Had a saturday interview in California at 9a.m

Not to mention the whole trip happened to be on the same weekend w/ some big hollywood event and my flight from Minneapolis to L.A was the last one so they made me fork up my lunch money lol.

For those of you that interviewed...what did you think was the best part about the university and what was the worse part? Did you enjoy the student panel?

The best part: the laid back vibe and super friendly staff/students on campus (I interviewed in Duluth)

Worse part: when someone said "it's actually colder here than in the twin cities' lol I cried.

I LOVED the student panel. The faculty left and it was just us and the students and it got interesting. They gave us great insights into the program--they werent pretentious at all. I distinctly remember the make up of the student panel too, let's just say it was a true melting pot.

Were you a member in any of the student panel by any chance?

LOL very true that it is colder in Duluth. It is nice that the whole campus is connected by underground tunnels though. They have some here at the Twin Cities but its too confusing.

I was part of the student pannel here at the cities. I always wonder what people think of those. I loved it and thought it was so helpful. Nothing is scripted so thats always fun as well. Hope all goes well and you hear before the holidays. Keep us posted.

The best part: the laid back vibe and super friendly staff/students on campus (I interviewed in Duluth)

Worse part: when someone said "it's actually colder here than in the twin cities' lol I cried.

I LOVED the student panel. The faculty left and it was just us and the students and it got interesting. They gave us great insights into the program--they werent pretentious at all. I distinctly remember the make up of the student panel too, let's just say it was a true melting pot.

Were you a member in any of the student panel by any chance?

I interviewed at TC campus and think it would have been nice if the students in the panel spoke a little louder since there were many of us.

The best parts:

1) Everyone was REALLY nice and the students seemed to really love their school
2) The curriculum is some of the most impressive I have seen, esp. the early pharmacy practice experience- nothing like being thrown into the fire right away! :cool:
3) The general "feel" of the campus- can't really describe it in one word, but I certainly felt very comfortable there
4) The many MANY organizations and student can be a part of- lots of diversity in that department!
5) I love this school! :love:

Questions/concerns?
1) We only saw some areas of the facilities, so I am wondering if there are other areas (besides the common area by the coffee place and the small study room down by the lockers) where students can study either alone or together...also, are there more computers besides the library ones?
2) How many of the buildings are connected via tunnel?
3) I found it interesting that the students on the panel said the worst part about the program was the workload- I anticipate a heavy workload, but shouldn't that always be expected?
4) What types of assignments do you get most in PD1? (Presentations, papers, exams, all of the above?)
5) Is there only one lab for all the students? I saw only a few IV hoods there...
6) The students said that almost everyone brings their lunch, but are there places around the building to eat? I only saw a couple of coffee houses..

Oh noo, well----fact remains that you'll make it work :) it may be inconvenient but it is what it is. Great opportunity at hand my friend.

I spent over 800$ on my flight to Mn and then to Ca. Had a friday interview in Duluth, had to drive back to the twin cities and flight out that same evening--Had a saturday interview in California at 9a.m

Not to mention the whole trip happened to be on the same weekend w/ some big hollywood event and my flight from Minneapolis to L.A was the last one so they made me fork up my lunch money lol.

Yeah I will find a way to make it work, Its the opportunity I've been waiting for, the money is not an issue at all and honestly the flights are probably going to be cheap because no one wants to go to Minneapolis in January anyways :).

I really like how MN does there interviews on Fridays because I can stretch it out to a four day weekend and spend some time with my family. It will be fun!!

Just got accepted to UMN!!!!! I got the letter earlier than expected (they said mailed on the 16th):D

The best parts:

1) Everyone was REALLY nice and the students seemed to really love their school
2) The curriculum is some of the most impressive I have seen, esp. the early pharmacy practice experience- nothing like being thrown into the fire right away! :cool:
3) The general "feel" of the campus- can't really describe it in one word, but I certainly felt very comfortable there
4) The many MANY organizations and student can be a part of- lots of diversity in that department!
5) I love this school! :love:

Questions/concerns?
1) We only saw some areas of the facilities, so I am wondering if there are other areas (besides the common area by the coffee place and the small study room down by the lockers) where students can study either alone or together...also, are there more computers besides the library ones?
2) How many of the buildings are connected via tunnel?
3) I found it interesting that the students on the panel said the worst part about the program was the workload- I anticipate a heavy workload, but shouldn't that always be expected?
4) What types of assignments do you get most in PD1? (Presentations, papers, exams, all of the above?)
5) Is there only one lab for all the students? I saw only a few IV hoods there...
6) The students said that almost everyone brings their lunch, but are there places around the building to eat? I only saw a couple of coffee houses..

Great questions here are my opinions
1. Within the building there is a Biomedical library (By the Ouside in cafe) which makes for a silent area for study. Otherwise there are small rooms on the first floor that can be closed if you get a group together (I would say about 5 rooms). The computers within the building can be found within the student lounge (1. quite computer room-about 8 computers for Pharm students only. 2. normal computer room- about 12 computers for pharmacy students only (and printing available) and 3. Within the biomed library there are many (our printing is not contracted in the library though).

2. The only other building I EVER had a class in was in the Biomed building that is connected and when when you need to get to the union that is also connected. From what I hear though is that majority of the buildings on east bank are connected.

3. I agree with you here. I believe I was on your student pannel. I was the only second year guy. I personally thought the first year was not work heavy but similar to undergrad. Second year is much tougher. I think many people are first to say things are tough but you are right....it should be :)

4. In my opinon there are not that many exams first year. You I believe in Drug Delivery there are only 3 (including final) and majority other classes 4 (including finals) so exams are not that much, however, are worth majority of your grade. There is some busy work especially with assignments and some group projects. There are also weekly quizes in some classes.

5. There is only one lab for the students. There will be about 5 lab sections for your class and then within your lab section you will be split into 4 groups (each week you will do a specific section- IV, compounding, Patient education, and community). So there are about 8 people per group. There are 3 IV hoods and one Chemo hood (Can get 2 people per hood). This is actually a great part of Minnesota is that in the Midwest most students are not considered interns until year 2 (Wisconsin and I think Iowa) so they do not do IV's, compounding ect....nor do they have any useful lab.

6. Perfect place to eat. There are not only places to eat right in the building and the union but there are TONS of restaurants lined up on the same street and within walking (pizza, chinese, burgers, chicken, noodles, subs, sit down ect..)

Hope this helps!! and hope you hear good news soon. Minnesota is awesome! (You, however, are going to need new clothes coming from AZ :))

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to UMN!!!!! I got the letter earlier than expected (they said mailed on the 16th):D

Congrats! Did you interview on the 20th of November? You're lucky to have gotten your acceptance so soon. Anyone else gotten anything yet?

Congrats! Did you interview on the 20th of November? You're lucky to have gotten your acceptance so soon. Anyone else gotten anything yet?

OMG now I want to run home and check the mail!!! How can I possiby concentrate on organic chemistry for Monday's final??????

Hey, thanks for all the info! I remember you. You were drinking a soda (maybe Diet Coke) had on jeans and looked pretty comfortable in your chair :) I hope I get to meet all of you guys again! Who was the thin bubbly guy that originally got his degree in business? He was so funny!!

I was actually the dressed up one in black pants, white shirt and black tie with the college of pharmacy fleece. The thin guy next to me was drinking a diet coke and had jeans on. We both live in the PDX (Phi delta chi) house. I was the one cracking some jokes (at least I thought they were funny). I was the one that went to UW-Eau Claire and didn't get a degree but was majoring in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology. Surprise I also talked about bowling in my free time for the University of Minnesota.

I have a feeling you were the person in the front row. I think this because when we were talking about housing and the costs the person said that was not as bad as Arizona's prices. I would assume there were not that many from Arizona :)

I was actually the dressed up one in black pants, white shirt and black tie with the college of pharmacy fleece. The thin guy next to me was drinking a diet coke and had jeans on. We both live in the PDX (Phi delta chi) house. I was the one cracking some jokes (at least I thought they were funny). I was the one that went to UW-Eau Claire and didn't get a degree but was majoring in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology. Surprise I also talked about bowling in my free time for the University of Minnesota.

I have a feeling you were the person in the front row. I think this because when we were talking about housing and the costs the person said that was not as bad as Arizona's prices. I would assume there were not that many from Arizona :)

That was meeeeeee! LOL I remember you :) I thought your jokes were funny- some people were still feeling a bit stiff from the interviews I think. Hmmmm...I got confused because I thought you were PD1 but I think I got you guys mixed up. Anyway, I remember all of your faces.I really really hope I get in. I love that school! Remember how I told you the coldest it got here was in the 30's and 40's? Well, it barely got to winter temps last week. I had to go dig out a jacket...oh boy, you're right about the new wardrobe! I saw you guys got pounded by a blizzard!

Congrats. Which campus will you be attending?
Interviewed on Nov. 20th and will be attending the twin cities campus. I remember you too Bowler :)

Bowler, do many students have part time jobs? In your experience, is it manageable? I know the tuition is 10450 a semester, but what was your year grand total including fees/books/surcharges/fines/fleeces/etc? if you don't mind me asking:poke:

Interviewed on Nov. 20th and will be attending the twin cities campus. I remember you too Bowler :)

Bowler, do many students have part time jobs? In your experience, is it manageable? I know the tuition is 10450 a semester, but what was your year grand total including fees/books/surcharges/fines/fleeces/etc? if you don't mind me asking:poke:

I can jump in here. For anyone that is interviewing in Jan, I'll be on the student panel then.

Many students have part time jobs. I have a research job, for which my hours vary. Other students work as pharmacy technicians at many locations. Especially PD1 year, you definitely have time to work part time. It gets tougher as a PD2-3 but many students work it out.

My total thus far: estimated tuition, fees, books, and school-related expenses (including one weekend in Duluth for my fraternity's regional meeting, but not including my trip to Vegas for the ASHP Midyear Clinical meeting): about $12,000.

Many students especially during the first year have part time jobs. I did not work my first year since I really didn't know what to expect. I almost wish I did since there was some downtime. I took the extra time to have fun (Also not a bad idea :) ). I do have a job this year but it is only a weekend a month at CVS/Pharmacy. During second year I would not go over that only because I hear many people complaining.

Overall I ended up spending about $13,000 per semester-I also have really cheap housing ($310 a month). Majority of the students end up taking all the loans (you will be offered close to $35,000 for the year). I would by books off of the current PD1 only because they will not be really using the books in the future. Make sure to get a biochem book and you can use a physiology book from undergrad.

Don't worry about asking questions. I hope we can answer any of them that you have. Congrats on getting in!

I had my interview on Nov. 20th at the Duluth campus and I just found out yesterday I'm at Twin Cities campus next fall :). Anyone else admitted there yet? Just looking to get to know some people before hand. Good luck to everyone on their interviews and letters, I hope santa brings what your looking for! :thumbup:

Love my diet coke!

I had my interview on Nov. 20th at the Duluth campus and I just found out yesterday I'm at Twin Cities campus next fall :). Anyone else admitted there yet? Just looking to get to know some people before hand. Good luck to everyone on their interviews and letters, I hope santa brings what your looking for! :thumbup:

Congrats to those accepted!!

The wait is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Don't be upset the ranked waitlist is not a bad place to be. Although I can't give you an exact number on how many get in since it varies the chances are good. Lat year they went through I believe close to 60 people (Almost the whole ranked waitlist) and my year they went through about 40. I was on the waitlist (number 17) and the wait is long but well worth it. Keep your head up and keep us posted. You are not close to being out yet!

Thanks for the info...I reallyhope I get pulled off the waitlist. I really really love this school... How long did you have to wait?

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!! :soexcited: Twin Cities:banana:

Congrats to those who got in!:highfive:

I waited early April to receive my ranking and then I found out I got in at around the end of May. After June is when they start going through people like crazy.

I waited early April to receive my ranking and then I found out I got in at around the end of May. After June is when they start going through people like crazy.

Geez...Well, waiting it will have to be then...even if I got into another school, I would drop it all to say yes to the U.

Did you get into any other schools during that time? What was it like for you?

I will be seeing you in the Fall at the U of M!

Can anyone tell me if the summer IPPE's are paid at all. I'm just curious for estimating the amount of money I'm going to need to take out in my loan for next year. Thanks!

you do not get paid during your IPPE's. It is a three week span that ends up being 120 hours of free work. Good experiences (most places) but sucks on the fact that you miss out on money.

Oh thats not too bad, for some reason I got the impression it was longer than 3 weeks. Thanks that helped alot!

For anyone who got waitlisted, here's the good news::soexcited:

Fall 2010 Admissions:
PharmCAS applications received to date: 455
Complete applications: 174
Target number of interviews: 360
Total seats (Duluth and Twin Cities): 167
Percentage of interview spots filled: 33%
Percentage of Duluth seats filled: 27%
Percentage of Twin Cities seats filled: 36%
Last updated Dec. 14

So, that means that having finished with 2 interview dates, only about ~30% of the seats have been filled on both campuses. Now, there are 2 interview dates left......so I hope they don't accept ~60% of their seats based on the last two interview groups. Plus, those that applied late are maybe applying because 1) they are procrastinating 2) UofM is their back up school

So, maybe they might under admit this year again? I heard from someone that they were brutal on the first two batches of interviewees last year and were struggling towards the end to admit students from the waitlist. :xf:

Good luck :luck:

You are right they did under admit last year and was a good reason they went through a ton of people on the waitlist. There are, however, more than 2 interview days left. I know that I signed up to do tours and student pannels for Jan 22nd, Feb 5th, feb19, and two in March. They have stated the application number is lower than normal so that might help as well to get in.

You are right they did under admit last year and was a good reason they went through a ton of people on the waitlist. There are, however, more than 2 interview days left. I know that I signed up to do tours and student pannels for Jan 22nd, Feb 5th, feb19, and two in March. They have stated the application number is lower than normal so that might help as well to get in.

you are right, there are more than 2 interview dates left. I'm surprise that there aren't that many applications now considering the deadline is Feb 17th (from my email). Maybe more might be coming in after the semester is over. Anyway, good luck:luck:

you are right, there are more than 2 interview dates left. I'm surprise that there aren't that many applications now considering the deadline is Feb 17th (from my email). Maybe more might be coming in after the semester is over. Anyway, good luck:luck:

Thanks a lot guys, you are sweet :) :love:

I also just got accepted at Twin Cities! :)
I interviewed on Nov 20th!

I'm actually from out of state, any advice on how to decide between an in state school (Ohio State) and Minnesota?

I chose Minnesota over my state school. Feel free to PM me.

You pretty much nailed it---Duluth is peaceful, not to mention seeing lake superior from some 10th floor building sold me lol. I think I'll do better in Duluth---Ive got some busy body family and friends living in the TC area (Im not from Minnesota btw) so it'll be for the better if I just focus on my load and then visit them whenever....

You'll be jumping for joy, soon enough :luck:--if only you'll join me in Duluth ;-)

Consider it DONE!
I'll be joining the UMD COP Class of 2014 :D
Thanks for all the crossed fingers, lucky clovers and good wishes!

Consider it DONE!
I'll be joining the UMD COP Class of 2014 :D
Thanks for all the crossed fingers, lucky clovers and good wishes!

I live up there, if anyone has any questions about the area I'll field them

Congrats all accepted :)
:luck::xf: to all waitlisted and/or still pending interview invite...

I live up there, if anyone has any questions about the area I'll field them

How expensive is housing in Duluth? And what's the best way to look for it?

Also, I need help figuring out what the Advanced English Composition prereq is about...is it just a senior level, writing-intensive English course?

When I lived in Duluth back in 2005 I paid $650/mo (heat/air included) for a 1-bedroom ~800 sq. ft. Piedmont Hieghts, about a mile due south of Miller Hill Mall.

In interviewing with the UMD Med School, the students said the admissions office is very helpful finding housing; coordinating email lists, connecting accepted students so they can room together, etc... I don't know how the Pharm admissions office is, though.

Another thing to consider is location. Apparently parking is very competitive (even with a pass ~$150/semester?) and most spots are filled by 8-9 AM. There is a city bus.

Hope some of these random tidbits helped!

Barry

DULUTH

Housing is pretty competitive during the months of July-start of school so start researching early. :smack: Parking is like $150 for the whole school year but it is super hard to even get a parking spot so you got to go to school early like 8am. One year, the stupid parking people decided to have the parking lot by the med school be just faculty......but it was soooo empty while everyone was fighting for parking in the other lots (cause faculty passes are more $$$).......so mad that year. BTW, the faculty can buy the student parking passes too so you're not just fighting students, but the staffs too.

On the good note..........riding the city bus is FREE :highfive: for students

Word of advice: if you lock your car key inside, don't EVER call campus security.....they will ruin your side door...call the locksmith cause you're going to end up calling them after the stupid cop mess up your window. :wtf::diebanana:

Ok, so here is a hypothetical. If a class of 2014 student recently got a ticket for possession of a small amount (petty misdemeanor), would he be unable to pass the background check to become an intern after PD1?

Ok, so here is a hypothetical. If a class of 2014 student recently got a ticket for possession of a small amount (petty misdemeanor), would he be unable to pass the background check to become an intern after PD1?

Man, that sucks. It will certainly show up in your background check, but from what I have read on the UMN website and their state site, I think only certain offenses preclude you from patient contact and participating in internship. As to what those offenses are, I am not sure...but in my state they are usually related to assault, offenses against children, and various felonies. I think it comes down to the State Board of Pharmacy and whether or not they will grant you an intern license. In my state, individuals with offenses like that have to go to some sort of hearing with the Board and the Board members determine the outcome based on what the charges are and what they have done about it (paid necessary fines, done necessary community service, and completed drug/alcohol classes as ordered by the court). It won't look very good, so you probably have to come up with a really really good explanation as to what happened. Of course, it also depends on possession of what...

Man, that sucks. It will certainly show up in your background check, but from what I have read on the UMN website and their state site, I think only certain offenses preclude you from patient contact and participating in internship. As to what those offenses are, I am not sure...but in my state they are usually related to assault, offenses against children, and various felonies. I think it comes down to the State Board of Pharmacy and whether or not they will grant you an intern license. In my state, individuals with offenses like that have to go to some sort of hearing with the Board and the Board members determine the outcome based on what the charges are and what they have done about it (paid necessary fines, done necessary community service, and completed drug/alcohol classes as ordered by the court). It won't look very good, so you probably have to come up with a really really good explanation as to what happened. Of course, it also depends on possession of what...

Possession of a small amount of marijuana. Technically, its less serious than a moving violation (petty misdemeanor), but I just hope this is not an instance where I would not ever be able to get licensed because its controlled substance related (i.e. shows lack of professional integrity). This is turning into a nightmare, ahhhh!!!:scared::eek:

Possession of a small amount of marijuana. Technically, its less serious than a moving violation (petty misdemeanor), but I just hope this is not an instance where I would not ever be able to get licensed because its controlled substance related (i.e. shows lack of professional integrity). This is turning into a nightmare, ahhhh!!!:scared::eek:

Well, you're right about the unprofessional part. But, this is also your chance to demonstrate some personal responsibility and accountability. You made a mistake and you made it the year before matriculation. I'll be honest- it was a pretty stupid thing to do. Marijuana is a psychologically addictive drug and is said to be a "gateway" drug. Whether you believe this or not doesn't matter because it is up to the bigwigs to decide what happens to you. Since you have been accepted to UMN, you need to tell them ASAP- like today. Don't wait for the background check. The dates will come up and they will be wondering why you didn't tell them. The rest you have to take up with the Board of Pharmacy. Good luck.

Last edited: