University of Minnesota 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey so class of 2014 students do not need to stress about getting CPR certified before September.

Phi Kappa something is offering a certification class for a fraction of the price of others. The class will be offered during the first couple weeks of classes.

Wooowooo!

maybe this link will work...

https://docs.google.com/a/umn.edu/Doc?id=dg5bnkqh_0ws4hhdn&btr=EmailImport&AuthEventSource=SSO

thought this would be an option for you guys. Should be Phi Lambda Sigma, they've done the classes in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on Mar 12 and got my acceptance email today.

So excited because UMN is such a great school!! :love:

I interviewed on March 22nd and just received an e-mail that I was accepted to the Twin Cities campus! So excited :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, guys! Can't wait to meet you all in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, congrats to all the people that have been accepted!

Second, I was wondering if anyone knows when the white coat ceremony is? My mom has to ask off of work at least three months in advance and she's really excited to go as am I.

Thirdly, while looking for the answer to #2 above, I noticed that the admission statistics page says that 100% of the seats are full but they are planning to overadmit from the March interviews. I was accepted approximately four weeks after my Feb. 5th interview, does "overadmit" mean anything for me?

White coat ceremony is in the evening of September 2nd. Orientation (sept 1 & 2) is going to last two whole day in Sandstone, MN and TC campus.

Got this info through the email from UofM. See you guys there! :D

I had a question regarding the academic calendar. I haven't received my packet yet and possibly the information is available there, but I was looking and I saw that there is something called "May session" and "summer session". Do you know if they are mandatory for pharmacy school students as well? Otherwise it looks like there is a break from May till September for the summer!? I seems so long so I wanted to ask. Does anyone know? Not complaining that it's long :) it would nice to fly home.

I had a question regarding the academic calendar. I haven't received my packet yet and possibly the information is available there, but I was looking and I saw that there is something called "May session" and "summer session". Do you know if they are mandatory for pharmacy school students as well? Otherwise it looks like there is a break from May till September for the summer!? I seems so long so I wanted to ask. Does anyone know? Not complaining that it's long :) it would nice to fly home.

I got my packet, but I don't think I saw anything about these sessions in there. Perhaps these sessions refer to rotations? Not really sure though.

We end finals in mid May and classes begin right after Labor Day weekend.
Summer after PD1 and PD2 years you have 3 weeks of rotation (community then hospital) which can be in June, July or August.
You *could* go home, but keep in mind that you're going to need to start accumulating intern hours. Getting hours out of state is tricky business. It can be done, but be forewarned...it's a lot of paperwork.

We end finals in mid May and classes begin right after Labor Day weekend.
Summer after PD1 and PD2 years you have 3 weeks of rotation (community then hospital) which can be in June, July or August.
You *could* go home, but keep in mind that you're going to need to start accumulating intern hours. Getting hours out of state is tricky business. It can be done, but be forewarned...it's a lot of paperwork.

Thanks Monalyce, so we "could" go home, but if we want to get "intern" hours for it, we would have to have all the paperwork completed?

What if we went home and worked back home, that would be just considered "work" and not "internship?"

I wonder if it is even more paperwork since internship would be out-of-state?

Thank you for your reply!

Thanks Monalyce, so we "could" go home, but if we want to get "intern" hours for it, we would have to have all the paperwork completed?

What if we went home and worked back home, that would be just considered "work" and not "internship?"

I wonder if it is even more paperwork since internship would be out-of-state?

Thank you for your reply!

Intern hours are sort of complicated. Even if you are working in Minnesota, not all hours you work are always considered intern hours. It just complicates things further when you work out of state, because you have to transfer the hours back to Minnesota. You will learn about this spring of P1 year prior to becoming a licensed intern. I just wanted to give you the heads up as a fellow out-of-stater.

Intern hours are sort of complicated. Even if you are working in Minnesota, not all hours you work are always considered intern hours. It just complicates things further when you work out of state, because you have to transfer the hours back to Minnesota. You will learn about this spring of P1 year prior to becoming a licensed intern. I just wanted to give you the heads up as a fellow out-of-stater.

Monalyce, which state are you originally from? :laugh: I guess I could learn a lot from your experiences. I am so excited about this transition/move/new environment, but I can't lie and say I'm not nervous. My family/relatives are all in the West coast and I have no idea how I should start this move process. For now, I'd like to just be excited about school.

Thanks for all the info. If you don't mind, could you PM me your e-mail address?

Does anyone know if U of M has sent out acceptance e-mails to all the March interviewees already? I interviewed March 22 and was told that I will find out by April 15ish. I have to have a security deposit in to a school I have been accepted to by April 16. If all spots are filled I should go ahead and reserve my spot at Midwestern-CCP, but just wondering if I still have hope for the U of M. Any information on when I find out if I am accepted, waitlisted, or denied?? Anyone in the same position as me??

Does anyone know if U of M has sent out acceptance e-mails to all the March interviewees already? I interviewed March 22 and was told that I will find out by April 15ish. I have to have a security deposit in to a school I have been accepted to by April 16. If all spots are filled I should go ahead and reserve my spot at Midwestern-CCP, but just wondering if I still have hope for the U of M. Any information on when I find out if I am accepted, waitlisted, or denied?? Anyone in the same position as me??

I interviewed 3/12 and was accepted 4/7

I think you will hear back by this Wednesday, almost guaranteed. If you can hang on, you should wait. But if that deposit needs to be in to Midwstn BY 16th, it may be a good idea to send it so as not to lose your seat.

I am! Interviewed on March 22 as well. It sure doesn't feel too comfy right now :( Wish you all the best though! :)

Hi everyone!

I have two questions~

Do we have a facebook group, yahoo group, etc, for the class of 2014?

Anyone looking for housing? Or have any recommendations? I'll be making my decision without really visiting the place.. Let me know if there are any female students looking to share an apartment :)

Hi everyone!

I have two questions~

Anyone looking for housing? Or have any recommendations? I'll be making my decision without really visiting the place.. Let me know if there are any female students looking to share an apartment :)

I am also looking for housing and have no idea where to begin. I'm definitely looking to share an apartment (cheap)! Let me know what you find!

On housing:

Peter Haag keeps a list of students looking for roommates. That's how I found mine last year!

I also know a few people who are looking for housing/roommates for fall. Feel free to PM me if you have questions...there are LOTS of housing options and I was able to find a great apartment last summer fairly easily.

Hi everyone!

I have two questions~

Hi everyone!

I have two questions~

I'm from MN and want to find an apartment closer to school so I'd be looking for a roommate! From previous posts I think we may have even interviewed the same day too... March 12???

Hi everyone!

I have two questions~

There is a facebook group for the class of 2014.

I'm hoping to find female roommates for the Fall in Duluth...PM me?:)

I have been accepted to Duluth!! Oh my, I thought I didn't make that cut, but I guess I did just because many people declined their acceptance =/

I still have a few more days to make the final decision. As much as I love Minnesota, the cost is just way too high and well, Duluth wasn't my preferred campus too.

Just wanna encourage those who are still waiting to hear from the school (and who can also afford to pay for it), don't give up hope just yet! You never know if that letter is just waiting around the corner for you!

Hey guys,

congrats to everyone who is admitted and coming in September. I created a facebook group.
You can find on facebook as
University of Minnesota Pharmacy Program Class of 2014

Join! Let's all be in touch!

HI guys,
I just got an acceptance from Minnesota Duluth Campus!!! YAYY

I was wondering if someone can advice me on financing the tuition as I am an international student. What are my options? I am from Canada btw. The fees for internation student is susbstantially high (218,000$)
I will really appreciate your help!!
Cheers,:)

thought this would be an option for you guys. Should be Phi Lambda Sigma, they've done the classes in the past.

I got the following (along with some other info) in an email from Ruth today - I think everyone that's paid their downpayment for Duluth campus probably has gotten the same email.

Phi Lambda Sigma Leadership Society (PLS) will offer CPR training for new pharmacy students here at UMD during the week of Orientation (week of August 30).The training takes approximately 3 hours and the cost is $45. This is the 2-year American Heart Association certification. We will send you more information on the date and time over the summer.

I got the following (along with some other info) in an email from Ruth today - I think everyone that's paid their downpayment for Duluth campus probably has gotten the same email.

Phi Lambda Sigma Leadership Society (PLS) will offer CPR training for new pharmacy students here at UMD during the week of Orientation (week of August 30).The training takes approximately 3 hours and the cost is $45. This is the 2-year American Heart Association certification. We will send you more information on the date and time over the summer.

This will be the cheapest option for CPR training in the Duluth area. In the past, CPR training had to be done sometime during the fall semester. Now the college wants all first years to be certified ASAP. It is a lot of fun and taught by fellow students who are in Phi Lambda Sigma, the pharmacy leadership society. If anyone has any questions about UMD, let me know!

Aren't BLS classes pretty much all the same no matter who teaches them nowadays - since AHA switched to the new system in 2006 where it's pretty much all watch the DVD and then show that you can do it?

Aren't BLS classes pretty much all the same no matter who teaches them nowadays - since AHA switched to the new system in 2006 where it's pretty much all watch the DVD and then show that you can do it?

I think that is true- the only thing that changes is the price. I found one for $80 and another for $60, so you just have to shop around for the cheapest one.

I think that is true- the only thing that changes is the price. I found one for $80 and another for $60, so you just have to shop around for the cheapest one.

Yeah, I'll probably wait and just take it on campus from the one org. My current BLS cert expires in a June. I used to get recertified through the military and I was an instructor for about 3 or 4 years so never really had to pay for my cert classes before.

Anyone know if the iTouch we get for school is preloaded with applications for school or not?

Housing in the Twin Cities is very variable. If you are looking for something close to campus I would look in the Dinkytown or Stadium Village area. I currently live in Dinkytown and you could expect to pay for about $600. Check with Marcy Apartments for local apartments. If you want to do downtown apartments i know there are still some left in those areas too. Contact Peter Haeg in student services because I know he has always helped students with this issue. Also make sure to look on the school website. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Don't get too frustrated with housing. There will be something open.

Have you tried talking to a realtor/brooker? I contact one becasue I was having trouble finding a place that would let me keep my dog. Within a day she had created a list of places and within a week I had secured a place to live. Also, their is no charge for there service, all you will have to do is tell the apartment complex you lease with that they referred you.

Was anyone at the pre-orientation social today? I was and had a great time meeting people! I can't wait for the program to begin and all of the fun to ensue!