University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mizzou doesnt fill seats with a strict ranking. They look at both academic and non academic characteristics to select replacement students for open seats. My understanding is that they have a pool of people they are willing to accept when seats open and then when a seat opens up they look at what the person who declined and what they offered to the class (non academic and academic) and they try to fill the seat with someone else who can offer similar characteristics or another characteristic that the class doesn't already have. If that makes sense.. That's why there isn't a strict wait list.

That makes so much more sense now. Thank you for explaining.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,
Can someone talk to me about rabies shots? When should I get mine (i.e. before I get to Columbia or is after school starts okay)? Are the shots covered (or partially covered) by student insurance? What's the process like? Do they hurt??

Hi everyone,
Can someone talk to me about rabies shots? When should I get mine (i.e. before I get to Columbia or is after school starts okay)? Are the shots covered (or partially covered) by student insurance? What's the process like? Do they hurt??
You can get your rabies shot whenever you would like. If you don't get it before school, they have one through the school in March/April of your 1st year. I would say that if you can get them covered by insurance now, do it now. Theoretically the student insurance here doesn't pay for them but I was personally reimbursed... I keep hearing different things so I wouldn't count on it.

So I'm personally a huge wimp when it comes to shots/needles and I didn't think it hurt at all. You have a series of three shots, the 1st and 2nd one is a week? apart, and the 2nd and 3rd one is a month? apart. It wasn't bad at all, though I was one of the weird ones who had a bit of a fever/headache the day after the first one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

It was probably around $800 total to get it through student health at the school. Very convenient, they come to the vet school your first year and give the vaccines. Didn't bother me one bit, can't say the same for some of my classmates. But none of us are any worse for wear. Mine couldn't be covered through my insurance so I just waited until I came to school to get it done.

Reactions: 1 user
You can get your rabies shot whenever you would like. If you don't get it before school, they have one through the school in March/April of your 1st year. I would say that if you can get them covered by insurance now, do it now. Theoretically the student insurance here doesn't pay for them but I was personally reimbursed... I keep hearing different things so I wouldn't count on it.

So I'm personally a huge wimp when it comes to shots/needles and I didn't think it hurt at all. You have a series of three shots, the 1st and 2nd one is a week? apart, and the 2nd and 3rd one is a month? apart. It wasn't bad at all, though I was one of the weird ones who had a bit of a fever/headache the day after the first one.
Thanks!

Might be a dumb question but... Do vet students get free access to the rec center?

Might be a dumb question but... Do vet students get free access to the rec center?
We do :) I've never been to it, but we apparently have a super awesome Rec center on main campus.

We do :) I've never been to it, but we apparently have a super awesome Rec center on main campus.

We actually get charged for it -$177 a semester. Kinda lame for those of us who never go because apparently the charge isn't optional.

We actually get charged for it -$177 a semester. Kinda lame for those of us who never go because apparently the charge isn't optional.

One of those 'hidden/extra fees' in tuition, eh?

Just accepted my seat off the OOS waitlist! :) SO happy to meet my future classmates!
(Is there a Facebook group I should join?)

Reactions: 5 users
I got a standardized email today saying the class is full. Guess that's that. :(

Congrats to everyone in the class of 2020!:)

I got a standardized email today saying the class is full. Guess that's that. :(

Congrats to everyone in the class of 2020!:)
Keep your hopes up! No telling who will drop their seat later on!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I talked to Kathy, it sounded like she was preparing to send a bunch of emails to students on the waitlist...so you never know! :)

What did she say, if you don't mind me asking?
Don't trust me on this bc I obviously don't know for sure, but there was a typo in the email I was sent so I called Kathy to straighten things out. She said she has been working on writing/editing emails that were ready to be sent out. Just saying--you never know! I'm not entirely sure what they were for but don't lose hope is all I'm saying!

Don't trust me on this bc I obviously don't know for sure, but there was a typo in the email I was sent so I called Kathy to straighten things out. She said she has been working on writing/editing emails that were ready to be sent out. Just saying--you never know! I'm not entirely sure what they were for but don't lose hope is all I'm saying!
Gotcha. OK thank you!

Does anyone know when we will get our packet? I know it's probably not for awhile, just really excited :)

I was told we will start getting information in June

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was told we will start getting information in June

Thank you! I'm so excited to get the ball rolling! Can't wait to meet everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else get a "waitlist is closed email"? I still haven't heard anything from them. Also @Vetdream213 are you in state or out of state?

Did anyone else get a "waitlist is closed email"? I still haven't heard anything from them. Also @Vetdream213 are you in state or out of state?

I'm on the in state list so it was probably only sent out to in state people, the out of state list is probably still moving. Keep hope!

Just got called off the out of state wait list :) So excited!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Yay more classmates!!!

Just talked to Kathy, and she said Mizzou is still planning on sending out OOS waitlist emails through the summer :)

Does anyone have any information about obtaining Missouri residency? I looked it up on the website but it wasn't as specific as I was hoping. I have a tentative lease beginning August 1 (but won't physically be moving to Columbia from OOS until after August 7) and I wanted to make sure that won't be too late to be considered for IS tuition the following year. I guess my concern is that since my 12 months of living IS will be from August 2016 through July 2017, will there be plenty of time for my residency application to be considered and accepted before classes begin in August 2017?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations about particular laptops or tablets that they find to be particularly helpful for taking notes and studying specifically with Mizzou's curriculum? Are both Apple and Windows machines totally compatible with any software or other programs we might need to use? Currently I'm considering the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and the Microsoft Surface Book, but I haven't been in the market for a new computer since 2009 when I started undergrad, and I don't think my poor 7 year old MacBook Pro could handle four more years of academic flogging.

Thanks in advance for the help guys! This thread has been incredibly helpful and I can't wait to meet everybody this fall!

Does anyone have any information about obtaining Missouri residency? I looked it up on the website but it wasn't as specific as I was hoping. I have a tentative lease beginning August 1 (but won't physically be moving to Columbia from OOS until after August 7) and I wanted to make sure that won't be too late to be considered for IS tuition the following year. I guess my concern is that since my 12 months of living IS will be from August 2016 through July 2017, will there be plenty of time for my residency application to be considered and accepted before classes begin in August 2017?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations about particular laptops or tablets that they find to be particularly helpful for taking notes and studying specifically with Mizzou's curriculum? Are both Apple and Windows machines totally compatible with any software or other programs we might need to use? Currently I'm considering the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and the Microsoft Surface Book, but I haven't been in the market for a new computer since 2009 when I started undergrad, and I don't think my poor 7 year old MacBook Pro could handle four more years of academic flogging.

Thanks in advance for the help guys! This thread has been incredibly helpful and I can't wait to meet everybody this fall!

I was told by the admissions office that people tend to have compatability issues with apple products. If you aren't on our class Facebook page, you should request to join. I actually asked this question on there and got a lot of amazing feedback!

Obtaining MO residency is fairly straight forward, and I don't think you would have any trouble getting residency if you are here in August, since the application isn't due until September something (that I'm aware of, obviously @Rainheart or @Kpowell14 would be of better assistance).

Any computer/tablet/hybrid is just fine! I personally recommend a touch screen of some sort (drawing arrows or graphs in one note is great), but it's not required by any means. There are some issues downloading software if you have a Mac but again, people make it work/go around it! I think the most popular choice in my class was the Surface (I have a Pro 3 :love:), and honestly it is a wonderful note-taking machine (It also replaced/runs circles around my old clunky Dell, so it can function as a complete laptop potentially). You can exclusively draw/write notes (the pen is AWESOME), or you can type, or you can do a mix like me. Whatever computer you pick will be fine for school, just find out what you are looking for (good battery? Being able to write notes? Function as your entire computer?), and you'll be set!

Obtaining MO residency is fairly straight forward, and I don't think you would have any trouble getting residency if you are here in August, since the application isn't due until September something (that I'm aware of, obviously @Rainheart or @Kpowell14 would be of better assistance).

Any computer/tablet/hybrid is just fine! I personally recommend a touch screen of some sort (drawing arrows or graphs in one note is great), but it's not required by any means. There are some issues downloading software if you have a Mac but again, people make it work/go around it! I think the most popular choice in my class was the Surface (I have a Pro 3 :love:), and honestly it is a wonderful note-taking machine (It also replaced/runs circles around my old clunky Dell, so it can function as a complete laptop potentially). You can exclusively draw/write notes (the pen is AWESOME), or you can type, or you can do a mix like me. Whatever computer you pick will be fine for school, just find out what you are looking for (good battery? Being able to write notes? Function as your entire computer?), and you'll be set!
My computer does not have a disc drive. Do we use CD's for anything? Because other than that my computer has a great battery life, is touch screen and great for writing notes, so I dont want to part with it, but i will if i have to!

My computer does not have a disc drive. Do we use CD's for anything? Because other than that my computer has a great battery life, is touch screen and great for writing notes, so I dont want to part with it, but i will if i have to!
Nope, no CD's! (That I know of).

You dont have to have it approved by the start date of second year. basically what happens is you submit your paperwork and wait (gosh I waited 3-4 weeks) before my residency app was approved.. So until then you get charged OOS prices and then once your app is approved everything gets changed and your charges are corrected and you are only charged for in state.... I was super skeptical about this when I was applying - In the end you pay in state fees all of 2nd-4th year but there is a limbo window where they have to charge you tuition but your app isnt approved yet and then once it is approved you dont have to do anything - they fix the charges and all is good.

Also, the admissions people are not the best people to ask about laptops or technology stuff... they dont sit in class like we do to know what works and what doesn't. And honestly it all depends on how YOU want to take notes or study... id say my class is split 50/50 on apple vs PC products.. I use an apple and have had ZERO compatibility problems what so ever. It is all personal preference. some people use Ipads, some people use mac books.. others use the assortment of tablet / PC options.

My greatest advice is that you have SOMETHING that works and can download stuff fast because some professors don't upload powerpoints until the morning of and it is a pain to download a 120 slide powerpoint right before lecture begins. Also have an external hard drive to back up your stuff frequently..

Hi all, congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I am so excited to meet you guys this coming fall! Anyways I just have a quick question: does anyone have advice about off campus housing options? I just received an e-mail from Mizzou about campus apartments (Manor House, Tara Apartments, University Heights) - has anyone else lived in these spaces? If so, what did you think of them? Are there better or cheaper places that you would recommend over these apartments?

Hi all, congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I am so excited to meet you guys this coming fall! Anyways I just have a quick question: does anyone have advice about off campus housing options? I just received an e-mail from Mizzou about campus apartments (Manor House, Tara Apartments, University Heights) - has anyone else lived in these spaces? If so, what did you think of them? Are there better or cheaper places that you would recommend over these apartments?

The further away from campus you live, the cheaper the rent typically. I currently live 15 minutes north of campus and my rent is $250. I know people who live on Ashland and it's benefit is you can walk to campus easily but rent is higher. Theres tons of apartments and duplexes all over columbia and around campus.

When do we need to submit our official transcripts that includes spring grades?

The further away from campus you live, the cheaper the rent typically. I currently live 15 minutes north of campus and my rent is $250. I know people who live on Ashland and it's benefit is you can walk to campus easily but rent is higher. Theres tons of apartments and duplexes all over columbia and around campus.
Thanks so much for the info! In terms of transportation, do you take a bus to campus? Or do you have a car or bike?

When do we need to submit our official transcripts that includes spring grades?
From what I remember, we need to submit official transcript with spring grades to the office before July 1st, 2016.

I've seen people on here talking about white coat ceremonies. When does this occur at Mizzou?

I've seen people on here talking about white coat ceremonies. When does this occur at Mizzou?
In October of your third year, the weekend before you enter clinics

Hey! I was wondering if anyone received an admissions packet or when we were going to. I asked Kathy but she said all we were going to get was a V.E.T. packet later this month. So my question is how do we get our person number our sign in the MyZou or our syllabus, or a list of things we have to do, or when class starts even. If anyone knows that would be great! I did get a small packet when accepted, with info about the deposit and such but nothing really informative.

Hey! I was wondering if anyone received an admissions packet or when we were going to. I asked Kathy but she said all we were going to get was a V.E.T. packet later this month. So my question is how do we get our person number our sign in the MyZou or our syllabus, or a list of things we have to do, or when class starts even. If anyone knows that would be great! I did get a small packet when accepted, with info about the deposit and such but nothing really informative.
Most of the time you won't really hear anything until you get the VET packet, because then you will also (I think) get info about/access to online orientation which will answer a few of your questions. School starts on August 22nd, and you can see the academic and class schedules here: http://calendar.cvm.missouri.edu/.

That's nice, we get to go home early on Friday for the 1st IP

Does anyone know of good places to look for housing? My boyfriend and I are looking for places and we havent found anything on the facebook or googling places for rent. We also probably will not be able to visit Columbia before we move. Any tips would greatly be appreciated!!

Has anyone heard anything about V.E.T.? Like where it's going to be this year? Doug told me a couple months ago that it changed location but not sure where yet

I noticed on each day of the IP's there are time slots dedicated to testing. So can I assume those testing classes are only attended when there is an actual test and when there is no exam, you don't attend until class time? Or are there other things to get done on non test days?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile