University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm starting to feel like my messenger isn't working. I've messaged a ton of people and haven't gotten a response :/

Haha. I think I just found your message. FB has just recently switched message alert systems, so i'll let other people know FB sucks. Also we are almost done with finals so give us a day to stop being zombies :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I have been waiting to hear from my IS (Illinois) for awhile now, and as it comes closer to finding out... I was like WHY AM I WAITING, I LOVE MISSOURI! haha so officially made my decision to go to Missouri next year and could not be any more excited. Now just time to find housing and hopefully a roommate or roommates! Absolutely cannot wait to meet all you guys, and thanks for all your help and posts that made it clear which school was right for me.

So I have been waiting to hear from my IS (Illinois) for awhile now, and as it comes closer to finding out... I was like WHY AM I WAITING, I LOVE MISSOURI! haha so officially made my decision to go to Missouri next year and could not be any more excited. Now just time to find housing and hopefully a roommate or roommates! Absolutely cannot wait to meet all you guys, and thanks for all your help and posts that made it clear which school was right for me.
HI FUTURE CLASSMATE! My name is Yaritza! Can't wait to meet you and the others! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
HI FUTURE CLASSMATE! My name is Yaritza! Can't wait to meet you and the others! :)

I can't wait to meet everyone too! Just a couple questions for some current students...
1. Does anyone know around when the open house is?
2. I can't remember from the Q & A, but do we get to choose our clinicals/focus on our interests? I know there is no tracking, but I cannot remember if we can kind of "target" our clinicals.

That's all I got for now. :happy:

I can't wait to meet everyone too! Just a couple questions for some current students...
1. Does anyone know around when the open house is?
2. I can't remember from the Q & A, but do we get to choose our clinicals/focus on our interests? I know there is no tracking, but I cannot remember if we can kind of "target" our clinicals.

That's all I got for now. :happy:
1) Open house is April 16th from 9am-2pm!!
2) You can for sure target clinicals if you wish! You have "core" blocks (2 weeks - 6 weeks each), which everybody takes (large animal medicine/surgery, internal medicine, oncology, equine med/surgery, neurology, therio, surgery, etc). Then you have 2 blocks off (12-16 weeks), where you have to get at least 4 weeks of prectorships (you can do more!), so you can go do these anywhere in the US at any kind of clinic! Then you have 10 weeks of electives, where again you can be either at the school or somewhere else. So you have up to 26 weeks where you can "focus" your training if you want to!

2) You can for sure target clinicals if you wish! You have "core" blocks (2 weeks - 6 weeks each), which everybody takes (large animal medicine/surgery, internal medicine, oncology, equine med/surgery, neurology, therio, surgery, etc). Then you have 2 blocks off (12-16 weeks), where you have to get at least 4 weeks of prectorships (you can do more!), so you can go do these anywhere in the US at any kind of clinic! Then you have 10 weeks of electives, where again you can be either at the school or somewhere else. So you have up to 26 weeks where you can "focus" your training if you want to!

This is absolutely making me fall inlove with Mizzou even more. I am so interested in Internal Medicine (as well as shelter medicine). Can you tell me about the Internal Medicine rotation/department (e.i caseload, how it works, etc.)? Also, what is "prectorship"?

This is absolutely making me fall inlove with Mizzou even more. I am so interested in Internal Medicine (as well as shelter medicine). Can you tell me about the Internal Medicine rotation/department (e.i caseload, how it works, etc.)? Also, what is "prectorship"?
I believe the caseload is pretty high in internal med (but @Kpowell14 or @scb44f could probably tell you more!). There's also some really popular internal med electives (I believe you can take up to 6 weeks of internal med electives so it's there if you want!). Preceptorships is the same thing as an externship. You choose a clinic to go to wherever in the US, and they grade you on it. It can be at an emergency clinic, specialty hospital, zoo, wherever!

Last edited:
I believe the caseload is pretty high in internal med (but @Kpowell14 or @scb44f could probably tell you more!). There's also some really popular internal med electives (I believe you can take up to 6 weeks of internal med electives so it's there if you want!). Prectorships is the same thing as an externship. You choose a clinic to go to wherever in the US, and they grade you on it. It can be at an emergency clinic, specialty hospital, zoo, wherever!
Thank you so much!!! :)

Internal Medicine is one of the busiest rotations in the hospital. And before clinics the Medicine class is 16 weeks long (Two 8 week blocks). The class is one of the more challenging classes in the didactic portion of the curriculum, but also one of my FAVEs by far!!! We have fantastic IM clinicians who you get lectures from in the IM class and then they rotate through clinics. We also have 3 IM residents. IM is a required 2 week rotation on clinics and then you can take additional 2 week electives.. The rotation is notorious for very long hours and being mentally challenging, but a great learning experience! Hope that helps!

and I think @Ashgirl means "Preceptorship" ... shes had a long week of finals ;)

Internal Medicine is one of the busiest rotations in the hospital. And before clinics the Medicine class is 16 weeks long (Two 8 week blocks). The class is one of the more challenging classes in the didactic portion of the curriculum, but also one of my FAVEs by far!!! We have fantastic IM clinicians who you get lectures from in the IM class and then they rotate through clinics. We also have 3 IM residents. IM is a required 2 week rotation on clinics and then you can take additional 2 week electives.. The rotation is notorious for very long hours and being mentally challenging, but a great learning experience! Hope that helps!

and I think @Ashgirl means "Preceptorship" ... shes had a long week of finals ;)
Oops! And you are definitely right, it's been a long week haha. I mean after that radiology final, I'm surprised I'm still conscious :p

Thank you so much! It does sound challenging but I am SO up for it:p

What is this about an open house?! Is it for accepted students or more targeted for little kids in the community?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
What is this about an open house?! Is it for accepted students or more targeted for little kids in the community?

Open house is the perfect opportunity to come back to Columbia, tour the school in a stress free environment and look for housing! I came back for open house and ended up signing a lease for a place to live for first year! The event itself is aimed at raising awareness for the community about the things offered at the school, but it is family friendly and a great time overall!

hey guys i got a Facebook today! (its a brave new world lol) how do i go about getting on the accepted students group? I dont really understand how Facebook works.....

So guys, tell me all about Columbia....

I don't think I've ever lived in the actual real midwest before.

Ahh!! Does this mean you are the new neuro resident ?!?

And to answer your question, Columbia is great. We get all 4 seasons during the year - fall is by far my favorite because of the beautiful color change of the leaves! There are tons of outdoor parks, walking trails, dog parks.. Also places to go rock climbing..There are a couple different food and music festivals and a movie festival (I can't remember the name) that occur during the year... Columbia has some really great local restaurants and breweries and an awesome winery is about 15 minutes away.. Saturday's in the fall the town streets are lined with vehicles tailgating for football games and everything is black and gold. There are tons of young people everywhere during the school year and then the town quiets down during the summer when all the undergrads leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are a couple different food and music festivals and a movie festival (I can't remember the name) that occur during the year...

The film festival is True/False - lots and lots of (good) indie films. And one food/music festival is Roots n Blues n BBQ; dunno about other ones tho.

Have any current students lived in the Ashwood apartments? If so,how did you like it there? Is it a safe area? Do you guys have any housing suggestions that are a walkable distance from campus?

hey guys i got a Facebook today! (its a brave new world lol) how do i go about getting on the accepted students group? I dont really understand how Facebook works.....
Does anybody know? Seriously help me out guys I am struggling to work this Facebook machine......

Ahh!! Does this mean you are the new neuro resident ?!?

Not quite, I'm starting a PhD working closely with the neurologists on neurogenetics research with an eye towards turning it into a combined residency/PhD when their current combined program resident finishes the residency portion.

edit: I'm going to be @LetItSnow and @StartingoverVet age before I ever finish haha

I hope your interview went well, @bullymama18! I'd better see a message talking about your acceptance posted here in a few weeks. ;)
Thanks so much guys! It went quite well IMO! I was freaking out all morning and couldn't even eat! Lol now I can get back to real life and just chill till the letter of denail/acceptance comes my way!

Sent from my SM-G925P using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much guys! It went quite well IMO! I was freaking out all morning and couldn't even eat! Lol now I can get back to real life and just chill till the letter of denail/acceptance comes my way!

Sent from my SM-G925P using SDN mobile app
I bet you killed it! Seee you in the fall if you choose mizzou ;)

Not quite, I'm starting a PhD working closely with the neurologists on neurogenetics research with an eye towards turning it into a combined residency/PhD when their current combined program resident finishes the residency portion.

edit: I'm going to be @LetItSnow and @StartingoverVet age before I ever finish haha

Ah, that is great news, Congrats!!!!

I will likely be declining my OOS admission this week. Good luck to anyone that gets off the waitlist!

Hey everybody

I am from out of state and I have never lived in an apartment or anything like that before. Can any current students let me know what the time frame is for securing a place with roomates ect? I am hoping to be able to room with some current students. I saw on the facebook page that a lot of people have posted about needing roommates already however, because I am from out of state, I am not sure when I would be able to come down and look. I just dont want to miss out on the opportunity to live with folks who are experienced with the area and the school. Thanks!

I've been in town visiting for the last 2 days and really like it here! Looking forward to moving in July.
Let me know if you want to meet up or need any tips for living in the CoMo area! I do love the town here! It is a great place to live!

Any idea of when they will be notifying ISers? I am starting to mail man stalk and email refresh an unnecessary amount haha! I will be in Michigan next week so I won't be able to check paper mail at all until I get back April 3rd. EEssh! I know they email acceptances and mail out rejections. Is there a separate waitlist for IS and OOS or are we all set on the same list?

Any idea of when they will be notifying ISers? I am starting to mail man stalk and email refresh an unnecessary amount haha! I will be in Michigan next week so I won't be able to check paper mail at all until I get back April 3rd. EEssh! I know they email acceptances and mail out rejections. Is there a separate waitlist for IS and OOS or are we all set on the same list?
I can check with Kathy before I leave today, assuming she is not out for lunch/still there!

I just sent in my deposit and acceptance! I'm so excited!

Reactions: 3 users
I got a rejection email last year on March 26th, but no idea how they're doing things this year! Two years ago it was all via snail mail. Also I'm pretty sure the IS and OOS waitlists are separate.

Hey guys! I just officially accepted my Mizzou offer! So excited to meet my classmates :)

Reactions: 4 users
Is there an Accepted Students Day? If so, does anyone know when it is? My boyfriend and I would love to go! :)

Is there an Accepted Students Day? If so, does anyone know when it is? My boyfriend and I would love to go! :)

There is not, but there is an Open House in a few weeks! I came and found housing at that time when I was accepted. It is open to the public and just an all around good time to see the school again, meet colleagues/professors, etc. @Ashgirl , when is Open House this year?

There is not, but there is an Open House in a few weeks! I came and found housing at that time when I was accepted. It is open to the public and just an all around good time to see the school again, meet colleagues/professors, etc. @Ashgirl , when is Open House this year?

Open House is April 16th!! I highly recommend attending!!

Happy to share that I have sent in my OOS acceptance! Excited to meet the rest of you

Any tips from those who've done it already on things to keep on top of? (If that makes sense, for example, I wish I had filed my FAFSA sooner then I actually came to a decision- not sure if I'll be put at some sort of disadvantage)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IS applicant here. I have enjoyed reading through this thread for the last few months. I decided early on that I was not going to post anything until I got my acceptance. Ready to tackle the first year come August!

IS applicant here. I have enjoyed reading through this thread for the last few months. I decided early on that I was not going to post anything until I got my acceptance. Ready to tackle the first year come August!

Yaay! Welcome to Mizzou!! Make sure you join the Facebook page!!

So nice to see the class forming!!!!!

Happy to share that I have sent in my OOS acceptance! Excited to meet the rest of you

Any tips from those who've done it already on things to keep on top of? (If that makes sense, for example, I wish I had filed my FAFSA sooner then I actually came to a decision- not sure if I'll be put at some sort of disadvantage)

I filed my fafsa late too I hope it doesn't knock us out of getting aid!

Thankfully, there's not much to keep up on before school starts, academic wise. They will contact you around... June? for financial aid and orientation stuff and your big (2nd year buddy) should contact you around then too. There will be an online orientation so if you like to procrastinate make sure to do it a week or so before V.E.T. (orientation). You will have a few days between orientation and the start of school, so if you decide to wait until then to get your ID, school supplies, etc, you definitely can.

Open House is April 16th!! I highly recommend attending!!
Yep it is 9am-2pm on April 16th this year!!

Thankfully, there's not much to keep up on before school starts, academic wise. They will contact you around... June? for financial aid and orientation stuff and your big (2nd year buddy) should contact you around then too. There will be an online orientation so if you like to procrastinate make sure to do it a week or so before V.E.T. (orientation). You will have a few days between orientation and the start of school, so if you decide to wait until then to get your ID, school supplies, etc, you definitely can.

Yep it is 9am-2pm on April 16th this year!!

How do big sibs pick their little sibs? :)

How do big sibs pick their little sibs? :)
Well they get a list of everyone's name, and the college they went to. So some pick by random, some by college, or some by knowing them in the past.

Do veterinary students get access to VIN? If so, does Mizzou facilitate that or do we sign up ourselves?

Does anyone know when they start pulling people off the OOS waitlist? Mizzoui is my number one and I'm dying to be accepted!!

Do veterinary students get access to VIN? If so, does Mizzou facilitate that or do we sign up ourselves?
Yep, all vet students get access! I believe you can sign-up after you get your missouri.edu email. I signed up sometime in May/June I think?
Does anyone know when they start pulling people off the OOS waitlist? Mizzoui is my number one and I'm dying to be accepted!!
The earliest is probably on or right after April 15th, but it could be all the way up until school starts in August.