University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Eta- didn't see that @Ashgirl had already answered the question :D

Members don't see this ad.

How long are the summers once you're enrolled? Are there classes that take place during the summer?

How long are the summers once you're enrolled? Are there classes that take place during the summer?
I think there are. I think the first three years we will finish by late June. The fourth year we will finish in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Summers are 8 weeks long for years 1 & 2. From last week of June to third week of August. You don't have to do anything during those 8 weeks, or you could do research, externships, etc.

So classes are "in" during a traditional summer, since we have 8 extra weeks of class from May-June.

I think there are. I think the first three years we will finish by late June. The fourth year we will finish in May.

Man, I would love to have a summer break this year, but nope :/ You get two summers (usually 6-8 weeks in length). End of June (very end of June) through Mid-late August depending on when classes start up again.

I was wait listed for In State. I'm hoping I get an acceptance email around April 15th though. Anyone know how big the wait list is for Mizzou? Kathy wouldn't tell me and there seems to be a lot of variation in wait list size for other schools.

I just mailed my deposit check - so excited to meet everyone in Augustl!

Reactions: 2 users
I was wait listed for In State. I'm hoping I get an acceptance email around April 15th though. Anyone know how big the wait list is for Mizzou? Kathy wouldn't tell me and there seems to be a lot of variation in wait list size for other schools.

I'm in the same boat as you! I wish we could know where we are on the wait list.

Reactions: 1 user
@bullymama18 have you heard anything yet?? One of my co-workers found out Friday she got accepted IS! Talk about an awkward day to get big news. :laugh:

I just want a seat so bad!!!! It's killing me because I know people that were accepted to my in state school and didn't want it that bad and applied on a whim. How can it be so easy for some?

Reactions: 1 users
I just gave up my OOS spot. Best of luck to those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Around when does the white coat ceremony typically take place?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Your white coat ceremony takes place October of your third year, the weekend before you enter clinics.

I'll be there with my husband and daughter! We're going to look at housing as well! I'm excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone heard off the waitlist? I don't think I've found any other Mizzou alternates

I just got an email asking if I still want to be on the waitlist! :) Still hoping!!

I just got an email asking if I still want to be on the waitlist! :) Still hoping!!
If you still want to be on it? That's interesting. I'm guessing that means they're finalizing something before they send out alternate acceptance emails? I haven't gotten anything from them :/

Well I wish you luck! I hope both of us get good news next week :)

Just got off the waitlist for IS!

Reactions: 5 users
Whoever is going to be at open house tomorrow, I'll be there for a few hours in the morning with my Golden Retriever and wearing a nerd shirt! Keep an eye out and say hello! I'll be with the PALS booth in Adams :)

I will be working admissions table for most of the day tomorrow (only person working it that is actually a student). So feel free to stop by and say hi :).

I declined my OOS spot last week so I hope someone gets my spot soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

They had the Open House Saturday so maybe they needed a day to collect themselves. That's what I'm hoping for!

Neither of my schools seem to be calling anyone. It's making me anxious

They had the Open House Saturday so maybe they needed a day to collect themselves. That's what I'm hoping for!
I was hoping that too. I emailed Kathy last night to see what was going on with noone hearing. She told me that class was already filled and the only way they will take anyone off of the alternate list is if somebody withdraws their seat, which apparently a few do every year. So much for the waitlist moving a lo :(

I was hoping that too. I emailed Kathy last night to see what was going on with noone hearing. She told me that class was already filled and the only way they will take anyone off of the alternate list is if somebody withdraws their seat, which apparently a few do every year. So much for the waitlist moving a lo :(

She told me the exact same thing March 28 when everyone first got notified so that might just be what she says because she can't say "I can't tell you any information".
It's all a big secret and I don't know why.

She told me the exact same thing March 28 when everyone first got notified so that might just be what she says because she can't say "I can't tell you any information".
Looks like it is moving. Someone just got a call today from the OOS wait list!

Hmm I feel like they are playing games with us. I dont know if I should let go of hope the way Kathy made it seem or if i should still wait before i make plans somewhere else! Im not sure why she would tell me the class is full if it isnt though.

Hmm I feel like they are playing games with us. I dont know if I should let go of hope the way Kathy made it seem or if i should still wait before i make plans somewhere else! Im not sure why she would tell me the class is full if it isnt though.

I don't understand it either. All I know is when I originally emailed Kathy inquiring about the waitlist in March, she told me that the class is full and I would be notified if someone withdraws, and that she knew nothing of my ranking or size of the waitlist. It's really frustrating considering other schools are so trasparent about waitlist information and Mizzou acts like they've never seen a waitlist before. It's hard to believe that after so many decades of a running program at Mizzou, no one knows anything about the average waitlist length, or rate of acceptance.
Sorry, but that has really been bothering me. My rant is over now. :)

I don't understand it either. All I know is when I originally emailed Kathy inquiring about the waitlist in March, she told me that the class is full and I would be notified if someone withdraws, and that she knew nothing of my ranking or size of the waitlist. It's really frustrating considering other schools are so trasparent about waitlist information and Mizzou acts like they've never seen a waitlist before. It's hard to believe that after so many decades of a running program at Mizzou, no one knows anything about the average waitlist length, or rate of acceptance.
Sorry, but that has really been bothering me. My rant is over now. :)
Remember that it is Kathy, by herself, dealing with this whole admissions process. Other schools have full staffs dealing with admissions, we have 1 person, and she does a phenomenal job.

And you would be surprised, it really varies year to year. There was very strong interest this year to come here, and it reflected it in the number of people deciding to attend here following acceptance.

Remember that it is Kathy, by herself, dealing with this whole admissions process. Other schools have full staffs dealing with admissions, we have 1 person, and she does a phenomenal job.

And you would be surprised, it really varies year to year. There was very strong interest this year to come here, and it reflected it in the number of people deciding to attend here following acceptance.

You are exactly right. I spoke without thinking. I'm just going crazy along with everyone else on the waitlist. Kathy has a lot on her plate and is always very helpful and quick to respond during the application process. I didn't mean any disrespect.

Oh I agree completely that Kathy is doing an amazing job and she has so much to deal with, and does so with grace. My frustration is not with her but with the setup in general. I just wish there was a way to know what your chances are like a ranking like so many other schools do, because I assume they have one they just dont let us know. I accepted another seat for vet school at Ross but I really want to go to Missouri so I am waiting around with no clue what is going on, hearing the class is full then hearing it might not be, its just a little bit of a roller coaster ride. But just to reiterate this is not against Kathy at all, she is just the messenger and she has a huge job to do.

Oh I agree completely that Kathy is doing an amazing job and she has so much to deal with, and does so with grace. My frustration is not with her but with the setup in general. I just wish there was a way to know what your chances are like a ranking like so many other schools do, because I assume they have one they just dont let us know. I accepted another seat for vet school at Ross but I really want to go to Missouri so I am waiting around with no clue what is going on, hearing the class is full then hearing it might not be, its just a little bit of a roller coaster ride. But just to reiterate this is not against Kathy at all, she is just the messenger and she has a huge job to do.

Mizzou doesnt fill seats with a strict ranking. They look at both academic and non academic characteristics to select replacement students for open seats. My understanding is that they have a pool of people they are willing to accept when seats open and then when a seat opens up they look at what the person who declined and what they offered to the class (non academic and academic) and they try to fill the seat with someone else who can offer similar characteristics or another characteristic that the class doesn't already have. If that makes sense.. That's why there isn't a strict wait list.

Mizzou doesnt fill seats with a strict ranking. They look at both academic and non academic characteristics to select replacement students for open seats. My understanding is that they have a pool of people they are willing to accept when seats open and then when a seat opens up they look at what the person who declined and what they offered to the class (non academic and academic) and they try to fill the seat with someone else who can offer similar characteristics or another characteristic that the class doesn't already have. If that makes sense.. That's why there isn't a strict wait list.
fwiw, NC State does the exact same thing. They try and have a varied class composition, so only have a waitlist "pool," not a legit ranking, then just pull students from the pool who match up with the people who drop out. So you guys aren't the only one in that agony. :p

Yup, so the point is that if a person with a large background in large animal and equine, for example, ended up dropping from the class, they are not going to replace that person with someone that had a large background in small animal only. They try and strike the good balance with the class, and I know other Universities do this in a similar manner (ie. NC-state)

With regards to saying that there are no spots and then people being called off the waitlist, it's not that she is being dishonest or unaware. You have to remember that around April 15th is when there is a lot of movement at other schools. So, if Mizzou was someone's second choice school, they put in their deposit, but then was moved off the waitlist for their first choice school, then a spot opened up that was not quite anticipated. So I don't think there is any idea of trying to deceive you, its just that there is movement in terms of people dropping their spots....

fwiw, NC State does the exact same thing. They try and have a varied class composition, so only have a waitlist "pool," not a legit ranking, then just pull students from the pool who match up with the people who drop out. So you guys aren't the only one in that agony. :p
Thanks for the ninja on that one ;) :p

Okay that makes a lot more sense and I feel is pretty smart on their part. Also I figured that whoever got called got called due to a spot opening up today because someone declined. But i really do appreciate everyone making things more clear. It helps to know why things are the way they are. And when I said I feel like they are playing games with us that was a joke. I know that isnt how it works and that there are reasons for everything they do, there not like, "oh ill just tell her there are no seats when there are" :) But thank you guys for explaining these things it really does help :)