University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone experience their explanation statement prompt disappear? I was on the essay portion about to enter my ps and the prompt and essay for the explanation was gone. I was reallu wanting to submit that because I went through some academic hardships for some personal reasons. Did VMCAS just decide not to have the prompt last minute or what? It wouldnt be fair for a number of applicants to be able to submit it and this happen to the last ones to submit. I can't tell if its a glitch because I wasnt able to pull it up on windows or firefox
My VMCAS was already submitted, but I logged in to check for you. I found the explanation statement under Other Information within the Personal Information tab.

No, I have no freaking idea why VMCAS thought it'd be even the least bit sensical to move it to a completely different location two weeks before the deadline. Geez, this entire cycle has been a mess for VMCAS...

Members don't see this ad.

No, I have no freaking idea why VMCAS thought it'd be even the least bit sensical to move it to a completely different location two weeks before the deadline. Geez, every cycle has been a mess for VMCAS...
FTFY...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay found it! My content is in there too. Wow what a damn mess. I was so stressed out because it just up and disappeared and no one got a notice about it. And i wasnt looking forward to standing outside and being on hold for 20 min at my work.

Oh another Q, under the additional info, it says "Student Reported GPA from Primary School". Is that the cum or the GPA from the univeristy I am currently at and going to graduate from? Basically, not including the grades from other colleges I went to.

Oh another Q, under the additional info, it says "Student Reported GPA from Primary School". Is that the cum or the GPA from the univeristy I am currently at and going to graduate from? Basically, not including the grades from other colleges I went to.
I would think so, seems logical that your primary school would refer to the one you're going to get your degree from

Got figured out! Sent app in yesterday morning at 6am lol does vmcas work on verification over the weekend or is it more a 9-5 M-F dealio. ..

Did anyone experience their explanation statement prompt disappear? I was on the essay portion about to enter my ps and the prompt and essay for the explanation was gone. I was reallu wanting to submit that because I went through some academic hardships for some personal reasons. Did VMCAS just decide not to have the prompt last minute or what? It wouldnt be fair for a number of applicants to be able to submit it and this happen to the last ones to submit. I can't tell if its a glitch because I wasnt able to pull it up on windows or firefox

I experienced the same thing. However, mine disappeared after I had already submitted the explanation portion and the Vmcas application as a whole. When I look back now to my application, the explanation portion is still not there. You should call VMCAS if you haven't already sorted out this issue!

OOS applicant right here as well!

I'm sad I likely won't be able to help during OOS interviews this year since I won't be around. They are a blast and I love interacting with all you all! Fingers crossed for everyone :)

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately I'm no longer eligible to apply this year, as one of my three evaluators was unable to submit in time due to a website glitch. I talked to Kathy and they won't accept the late evaluation. :( I'm pretty devastated as Mizzou is my IS and this was my third time applying, but good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
LG, I am so sorry to hear that :(((((((((((((. Are you still able to be considered by the other schools on your list? Have the other schools accepted the late eLOR? I hope so!!!!! :(

Unfortunately I'm no longer eligible to apply this year, as one of my three evaluators was unable to submit in time due to a website glitch. I talked to Kathy and they won't accept the late evaluation. :( I'm pretty devastated as Mizzou is my IS and this was my third time applying, but good luck to everyone else!

Really super sorry to hear that :(

Oh, no... I am so, so sorry to hear this. :(

I hope that the other schools you are applying to will still consider you, at least. That's seriously a huge bummer.

LG, I am so sorry to hear that :(((((((((((((. Are you still able to be considered by the other schools on your list? Have the other schools accepted the late eLOR? I hope so!!!!! :(
The other schools I applied to all said it shouldn't be a problem for him to email them the letter. So there's still hope, but it's scary knowing that if I get in anywhere, I'll be saddled with over twice as much debt as I would have at Mizzou.

WHAT?? That's not fair at all, I'm so sorry to hear that LG :(. Did you explain it was a VMCAS glitch? Gah that really stinks :(

I'm so sorry. That is such an awful position. I hope everything works out. Keep your chin up. <3

WHAT?? That's not fair at all, I'm so sorry to hear that LG :(. Did you explain it was a VMCAS glitch? Gah that really stinks :(
Yes, Kathy was sympathetic given the circumstances, but still said there was no way they could accept it. :/ I think I'm going to call VMCAS as a last-ditch effort to see if there's anything they an do for me.

Yes, Kathy was sympathetic given the circumstances, but still said there was no way they could accept it. :/ I think I'm going to call VMCAS as a last-ditch effort to see if there's anything they an do for me.
At this point it can't hurt to try. I'll be crossing my fingers for you!

The other schools I applied to all said it shouldn't be a problem for him to email them the letter. So there's still hope, but it's scary knowing that if I get in anywhere, I'll be saddled with over twice as much debt as I would have at Mizzou.

Well WHEN you get accepted to your next top school, you can try to transfer to mizzou after first year :)

Well WHEN you get accepted to your next top school, you can try to transfer to mizzou after first year :)
Unfortunately the curriculum at Mizzou is super unique so it wouldn't be possible to transfer over after first year (she would have to repeat first year over again), and it states on the website that transfer is only possible if the applicant was already accepted to Mizzou in the past cycles :(.

One thing I wonder if it's possible is to get accepted at another school, and then defer and try to apply to Mizzou again, if @LyraGardenia would want to apply again anyways. Though I'm not sure if the school she got accepted to would allow her to defer to reapply, she would probably need a better reason.

I experienced the same thing. However, mine disappeared after I had already submitted the explanation portion and the Vmcas application as a whole. When I look back now to my application, the explanation portion is still not there. You should call VMCAS if you haven't already sorted out this issue!

It was moved to the personal information portion of the portal.

Unfortunately the curriculum at Mizzou is super unique so it wouldn't be possible to transfer over after first year (she would have to repeat first year over again), and it states on the website that transfer is only possible if the applicant was already accepted to Mizzou in the past cycles :(.

One thing I wonder if it's possible is to get accepted at another school, and then defer and try to apply to Mizzou again, if @LyraGardenia would want to apply again anyways. Though I'm not sure if the school she got accepted to would allow her to defer to reapply, she would probably need a better reason.
Ditto on this. Gf was trying to come here, and tried every lupol in the book, and it just straight isn't going to happen. But if you went to a place that allows deferment for stuff like in state residency (ie penn) and you reapply and get accepted, that is certainly another option.

Lyra - I am so sorry about that.... I feel so bad that a vmcas glitch is holding back where u can apply to. I will keep my fingers crossed that the talk with vmcas is productive.

Just wanted to add on my condolences :( sucks that the one school that couldn't work out the situation is your IS

Thank you for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

That's an interesting thought, but assuming I do get in somewhere this year, I'm beyond ready to just get this show on the road! I don't think any of the schools I applied to allow deferment to gain IS tuition. SGU and Midwestern don't offer IS tuition at all, the others I applied to are Illinois and K State.

Lyra - I am so sorry about that.... I feel so bad that a vmcas glitch is holding back where u can apply to. I will keep my fingers crossed that the talk with vmcas is productive.
Unfortunately, the woman I talked to from VMCAS today said there's nothing they can do. If my evaluator had contacted them at the time, they may have been able to work with him, but at this point they can't reopen it for him to submit, and the schools have the final say whether or not they'll take the late letter.

Thank you for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

That's an interesting thought, but assuming I do get in somewhere this year, I'm beyond ready to just get this show on the road! I don't think any of the schools I applied to allow deferment to gain IS tuition. SGU and Midwestern don't offer IS tuition at all, the others I applied to are Illinois and K State.

Unfortunately, the woman I talked to from VMCAS today said there's nothing they can do. If my evaluator had contacted them at the time, they may have been able to work with him, but at this point they can't reopen it for him to submit, and the schools have the final say whether or not they'll take the late letter.
That's definitely bad news, I am so sorry :(.

When my sister went to k-state, deferments were only in extenuating circumstances. Don't know how it's changed since then, but I would guess that it's the same unfortunately....

Reading through the recent posts about the eLOR issue boils my blood a bit, but makes me happy that I chose 3 people I have a great relationship with. I had to text one of them the day of his artificial deadline (3 weeks prior to Sept 15) to remind him to finish it because, as some people have said, life happens and these professionals do get busy. With that though, I would remove the individual that failed to come through on their end of a very important agreement from my Rolodex of Life. Blows my mind that someone would wait until the last minute anyway because let's face it, **** happens. This person owes @LyraGardenia a refund on Mizzou or at least her first stethoscope. :slap:

Good luck with the rest of your programs!

Reading through the recent posts about the eLOR issue boils my blood a bit, but makes me happy that I chose 3 people I have a great relationship with. I had to text one of them the day of his artificial deadline (3 weeks prior to Sept 15) to remind him to finish it because, as some people have said, life happens and these professionals do get busy. With that though, I would remove the individual that failed to come through on their end of a very important agreement from my Rolodex of Life. Blows my mind that someone would wait until the last minute anyway because let's face it, **** happens. This person owes @LyraGardenia a refund on Mizzou or at least her first stethoscope. :slap:

Good luck with the rest of your programs!
To be fair, he did try to submit and it just wouldn't go through; he didn't completely blow it off. But it is annoying that he waited until the last minute (he's provided a letter for me the past two years, so it should have been very quick for him to just answer the questions and submit the letter again), and that he didn't contact me about it. He didn't even return my voicemail last week asking what happened, I had to call the clinic the next day. It sucks because he was someone I thought highly of and thought I had a good relationship with. He let me come shadow him as much as I wanted back when I had nearly zero experience, and then he called me asking me to come work for him the next summer. He seemed to appreciate having me around and was very supportive of my goals. I guess maybe I should have stressed more just how strict the deadline was, but no point stressing about the past now.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of Mizzou? I don't know much about the school but would to know! :)

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of Mizzou? I don't know much about the school but would to know! :)
This is what I wrote on last year's thread and it still rings true:
Pros:
1) 2+2 Program. We have 2 years of class, and two years (starting in Oct. third year) of clinics. The extra year of clinics is really really nice, and I've even heard several employers love the fact that we get more hands-on time. We even have 16 (Yes, SIXTEEN!) weeks to go wherever you want and go do whatever externship your heart desires. This is awesome for those who want to do something (like exotics) that we might not have a lot at our teaching hospital. The con to this curriculum? We only get 8 weeks of summer after 1st and 2nd year, which can be hard when you are used to 12-14 week summers.

2) Switching Residency. OOS students can switch to IS residency after their first year, and I've heard it's not hard to do at all (most people who try to do it get it without any problems). You save MAJOR money here (up to and beyond $100,000 in some cases...)

3) Atmosphere/Fit. Mizzou is my IS, though I'm that stubborn person that was determined to go somewhere else (I wasn't even going to go to my interview at first). However, when I came here the atmosphere/professors/students really blew me away, which finally persuaded me to matriculate here. You could tell everyone really loved their school, and the professors seemed amazing (this is still 100% true, they will bend over backwards for you in order to help you out).

Cons:
1) Short summer break (8 weeks). This actually wasn't a big deal for me this summer as I thought it was enough time for me to recuperate but there's a few in my class that would disagree. It's very person dependent.
2) Constant Exams. With having 8 week blocks of classes instead of semesters, we have tons of exams all the time it seems. However, it helps you keep up with material and it's not *too* bad once you are fully acclimated.
3) I'm sure there's a few minor things that are cons that to me aren't a big deal like bad parking as a first year, bad library hours, etc.

Honestly, I adore my school (this is truly my dream school), and I'm super happy I came here. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask on here or PM me).

Pros:
1) 2+2 Program. We have 2 years of class, and two years (starting in Oct. third year) of clinics. The extra year of clinics is really really nice, and I've even heard several employers love the fact that we get more hands-on time. We even have 16 (Yes, SIXTEEN!) weeks to go wherever you want and go do whatever externship your heart desires. This is awesome for those who want to do something (like exotics) that we might not have a lot at our teaching hospital. The con to this curriculum? We only get 8 weeks of summer after 1st and 2nd year, which can be hard when you are used to 12-14 week summers.

2) Switching Residency. OOS students can switch to IS residency after their first year, and I've heard it's not hard to do at all (most people who try to do it get it without any problems). You save MAJOR money here (up to and beyond $100,000 in some cases...)

3) Atmosphere/Fit. Mizzou is my IS, though I'm that stubborn person that was determined to go somewhere else (I wasn't even going to go to my interview at first). However, when I came here the atmosphere/professors/students really blew me away, which finally persuaded me to matriculate here. You could tell everyone really loved their school, and the professors seemed amazing (this is still 100% true, they will bend over backwards for you in order to help you out).

Cons:
1) Short summer break (8 weeks). This actually wasn't a big deal for me this summer as I thought it was enough time for me to recuperate but there's a few in my class that would disagree. It's very person dependent.
2) Constant Exams. With having 8 week blocks of classes instead of semesters, we have tons of exams all the time it seems. However, it helps you keep up with material and it's not *too* bad once you are fully acclimated.
3) I'm sure there's a few minor things that are cons that to me aren't a big deal like bad parking as a first year, bad library hours, etc.

Honestly, I adore my school (this is truly my dream school), and I'm super happy I came here. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask on here or PM me).

Thanks for this!

I dont mind the short summer. Every summer I have had in college, I have been in school taking courses. I'm rather used to short summers:).

As for bad parking, how bad is it? I have dealth with 4 years of bad parking at my school. My school is located in a busy area of Boston, MA. Crazy city! We also do not have a parking lot (which I hate).

Does mizzou feel like a tight knit community?

Thanks for this!

I dont mind the short summer. Every summer I have had in college, I have been in school taking courses. I'm rather used to short summers:).

As for bad parking, how bad is it? I have dealth with 4 years of bad parking at my school. My school is located in a busy area of Boston, MA. Crazy city! We also do not have a parking lot (which I hate).

I'm between class so real quick!

Compared to other universities it's not bad. It's cheap (70? I paid $500 undergrad) and it's around 8-10 minute walk just for your first year. But we haven't had any bad weather this year yet. It probably sucks in snow.

Thanks for this!

It's not horrible parking... but it is a 8-10 minute walk for the firsties, and is not fun during winter time. During the summer block after first year you get to transition to the parking lot below the school which has stairs but is so. much. closer!

I guess this *might* be different depending on your individual class and even the individual person, but I would say that yes, we are all very tight knit here. There's always tons of invitations on our FB group to go play soccer, go out, go to dinner parties, study groups, etc. We always post study guides, flashcards, etc to help each other out and if anyone is struggling there's always someone there to help you.

It's not horrible parking... but it is a 8-10 minute walk for the firsties, and is not fun during winter time. During the summer block after first year you get to transition to the parking lot below the school which has stairs but is so. much. closer!

I guess this *might* be different depending on your individual class and even the individual person, but I would say that yes, we are all very tight knit here. There's always tons of invitations on our FB group to go play soccer, go out, go to dinner parties, study groups, etc. We always post study guides, flashcards, etc to help each other out and if anyone is struggling there's always someone there to help you.
One thing that I wanted to add about being close knit... There was a school that I interviewed at that was boasting about their small class size and how that is how "we are such a big family," which made me wrongly think that the only way you could become closeknit is to have a smaller class size. I have quite a bigger class (120, which is pretty "average") than what that vet school has, and I'm quite confident that we as a class are as much of a "family" as they are... it's all about your dynamic as a class, not the size of it.

Sorry, rant over!

Just to add to Ashgirl's list (though I've only been here a month ;)):

Pros:

Our big/little program. You get matched up with a second year who basically becomes your mentor and giver of hand-me-downs. I got some of my first year textbooks free from my big. Other classmates of mine have gotten old lab coats and old tests from their bigs. My big also left me chocolate in my mailbox on the day of my first anatomy exam. :)

The walk from the parking lot is not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be before I started. I guess it depends on the person, but I like having the walk in the morning to help me wake up, and at the end of lectures to help me unwind. It also helps me feel like I got at least a little bit of exercise for the day, especially on those days before exams where going for a hike or a quick trip to the gym is just not possible. I actually think I'll miss it come second year when I trade my ten minute leisurely walk for a hike up a flight of stairs... >.<

The vet med library hours suck, but the main campus library is open 24 hours during the week (!!!!!!!!!!!!). Also, the health sciences library on campus is open til 1 AM most days, and since it requires you to show a health sciences ID, it stays much emptier and quieter than the main campus library does. Library availability is a huge deal to me because I can't study at home at all.

While we do have a dress code, it's very relaxed compared to other vet schools I looked into. It's not required that we wear business casual every day (or ever, for that matter). You can get away with wearing jeans and a school T-shirt everyday if you wanted.

One BIG pro for me: you're never in lecture all day. Other vet schools I visited would make a point about how comfy their lecture halls were because they warned that there would be days that you'd literally sit in your chair from morning till evening. Not at Mizzou. They do a really good job of mixing things up so that you have a combination of lecture and lab everyday. I was really dreading having to sit in one chair for hours and hours, but it's not like that at all! I feel like I'm constantly up and moving around the school. We also get more breaks than I thought we would (labs are split half-and-half, so you get sometimes up to two hours of free time while the other half of your class is in lab).

There are a LOT of opportunities here. Almost too many lol. There are research opportunities, jobs at the teaching hospital, a ton of clubs, and there also seems to be some interesting speaker or lunch-and-learn almost every day.

Cons:

The cafeteria in the vet school closes at 4, so you can't get dinner there if you planned to stay late in the building to study. And since the vet school is tucked away into a back corner of the university, it's also a ways away from other places to eat on campus.

The locker room for anatomy lab is an absolute disorganized mess. Even though they split the class half-and-half for lab, they assigned adjacent lockers to people who have lab at the same time. So it ends up being an absolute cluster****. I have to get to the locker room 20-30 minutes before lab if I want to be able to get to my locker and change without being late. Otherwise, I'm stuck waiting for the people with lockers right next to mine to leave.

The only club recognized by the university is SCAVMA, so you have to join that club before you can join any other interesting vet school clubs. It may not seem like a huge deal, but it's still $55 in dues per year, and you have to work a concession stand at a football game your first year. It's just kind of an annoying thing if you weren't planning on joining SCAVMA otherwise.

Heh, I always forget that pirateyoho is part of Mizzou lol....

My pros and cons list: (aka a list of why I chose here over my IS/the minimal things I was not pleased about after coming here)

Pros:
1. Atmosphere. This is the biggest one. It feels like everyone is on a team to get to an end goal as opposed to competing with one another to get a top spot. I feel at home being around my classmates and it already has a family atmosphere only a month in. I can say that I know the vast majority of my classmates by name, which is not something that I am usually able to do in such a short timespan. To me, I feel comfortable enough to go up to practically anyone in my class and ask them for help/invite them to a study group/etc, which is something that doesn't come easy to me as I can be fairly introverted.

2. Cost. This is a three fold reason for me. The first is that I can get IS after year 1 and decrease the amount of loans. The second is that my COL is so low, that I was able to buy a house that is so nice, with mortgage payments that are lower than the COL of my undergrad. Aka, if you really wanted to, you can find housing for $275 a month, and that's still GOOD housing. The third factor is that Mizzou is one of the few schools out there that labels their residents and interns as professors, meaning that they qualify for PSLF payback during the time that they work as an intern and resident.

3. Location. For me, this reminds me of my undergrad. It's very suburban feel, but if you want to get out to a more rural area. you don't have to go to far. Plus, hiking trails, tons of outdoorsy type things, and all while still having that big school feel in terms of sports (well mainly football).

4. Facilities: I personally was very impressed with the facilities at Mizzou compared to elsewhere that I applied. That's more of a see for yourself sort of thing though.

5. 2+2. I haven't enjoyed the perks of this yet, but when my sister heard that Mizzou was 2+2, she essentially told me I need to go here and I will thank her for it (she graduated a few years back from vet school). More clinic time definitely sounded like a major positive to me when I applied.

6. Professors, thus far, have all been fantastic and really are interested in your success as a student.

Cons:
1. Parking. It's not bad yet.... But we also haven't had snow yet. It's an 8-10 minute walk, but is definitely not bad in good weather.

2. HIgher test volume. IP-1 doesn't really get us acquainted with it yet, but it apparently increased in frequency as we go. Thus far I think we have had on average 2 quizzes a week and 1 test a week, but this is the slow IP. It revs up to, from what I remember @Ashgirl saying, 23 a block (aka around 3 a week average), and it also can get very cramped around finals times (aka last test of the semester followed subsequently by a final can lead to stupid amount of tests in a weeks time). Haven't experienced it yet, but I am sure it won't be ideal lol.

3. I am blanking right now, but I am sure there are other small things.... I will update if I think of anything else.

Question on how they calculate GPA: i know they do last 3 semesters not including the summer. But do they calculate this fall semester as a part of it or no?

Question on how they calculate GPA: i know they do last 3 semesters not including the summer. But do they calculate this fall semester as a part of it or no?
I actually asked Kathy this a little while ago. This was her response:
You apply in early Fall, to enter Vet School the next Fall. Every Vet School admissions is different, but we wait for fall grades before closing an application file. Your cum GPA, last three semesters GPA and courseload are calculated including the fall term you apply. You can still be taking course pre-reqs, but can have no more than two left incomplete to finish up during the upcoming spring (2016) term.
I am not 100% sure if this is true for OOS applicants since they typically receive interviews and acceptances way earlier than we IS peeps do, but I'm sure they are still recalculated with the fall semester afterward, regardless. But for the purposes of IS... it seems that, yes, they do consider fall grades.

Pros:

Cons:

Just to add to Ashgirl's list (though I've only been here a month ;)):

Pros:

Our big/little program. You get matched up with a second year who basically becomes your mentor and giver of hand-me-downs. I got some of my first year textbooks free from my big. Other classmates of mine have gotten old lab coats and old tests from their bigs. My big also left me chocolate in my mailbox on the day of my first anatomy exam. :)

The walk from the parking lot is not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be before I started. I guess it depends on the person, but I like having the walk in the morning to help me wake up, and at the end of lectures to help me unwind. It also helps me feel like I got at least a little bit of exercise for the day, especially on those days before exams where going for a hike or a quick trip to the gym is just not possible. I actually think I'll miss it come second year when I trade my ten minute leisurely walk for a hike up a flight of stairs... >.<

The vet med library hours suck, but the main campus library is open 24 hours during the week (!!!!!!!!!!!!). Also, the health sciences library on campus is open til 1 AM most days, and since it requires you to show a health sciences ID, it stays much emptier and quieter than the main campus library does. Library availability is a huge deal to me because I can't study at home at all.

While we do have a dress code, it's very relaxed compared to other vet schools I looked into. It's not required that we wear business casual every day (or ever, for that matter). You can get away with wearing jeans and a school T-shirt everyday if you wanted.

One BIG pro for me: you're never in lecture all day. Other vet schools I visited would make a point about how comfy their lecture halls were because they warned that there would be days that you'd literally sit in your chair from morning till evening. Not at Mizzou. They do a really good job of mixing things up so that you have a combination of lecture and lab everyday. I was really dreading having to sit in one chair for hours and hours, but it's not like that at all! I feel like I'm constantly up and moving around the school. We also get more breaks than I thought we would (labs are split half-and-half, so you get sometimes up to two hours of free time while the other half of your class is in lab).

There are a LOT of opportunities here. Almost too many lol. There are research opportunities, jobs at the teaching hospital, a ton of clubs, and there also seems to be some interesting speaker or lunch-and-learn almost every day.

Cons:

The cafeteria in the vet school closes at 4, so you can't get dinner there if you planned to stay late in the building to study. And since the vet school is tucked away into a back corner of the university, it's also a ways away from other places to eat on campus.

The locker room for anatomy lab is an absolute disorganized mess. Even though they split the class half-and-half for lab, they assigned adjacent lockers to people who have lab at the same time. So it ends up being an absolute cluster****. I have to get to the locker room 20-30 minutes before lab if I want to be able to get to my locker and change without being late. Otherwise, I'm stuck waiting for the people with lockers right next to mine to leave.

The only club recognized by the university is SCAVMA, so you have to join that club before you can join any other interesting vet school clubs. It may not seem like a huge deal, but it's still $55 in dues per year, and you have to work a concession stand at a football game your first year. It's just kind of an annoying thing if you weren't planning on joining SCAVMA otherwise.

Heh, I always forget that pirateyoho is part of Mizzou lol....

My pros and cons list: (aka a list of why I chose here over my IS/the minimal things I was not pleased about after coming here)

Pros:
1. Atmosphere. This is the biggest one. It feels like everyone is on a team to get to an end goal as opposed to competing with one another to get a top spot. I feel at home being around my classmates and it already has a family atmosphere only a month in. I can say that I know the vast majority of my classmates by name, which is not something that I am usually able to do in such a short timespan. To me, I feel comfortable enough to go up to practically anyone in my class and ask them for help/invite them to a study group/etc, which is something that doesn't come easy to me as I can be fairly introverted.

2. Cost. This is a three fold reason for me. The first is that I can get IS after year 1 and decrease the amount of loans. The second is that my COL is so low, that I was able to buy a house that is so nice, with mortgage payments that are lower than the COL of my undergrad. Aka, if you really wanted to, you can find housing for $275 a month, and that's still GOOD housing. The third factor is that Mizzou is one of the few schools out there that labels their residents and interns as professors, meaning that they qualify for PSLF payback during the time that they work as an intern and resident.

3. Location. For me, this reminds me of my undergrad. It's very suburban feel, but if you want to get out to a more rural area. you don't have to go to far. Plus, hiking trails, tons of outdoorsy type things, and all while still having that big school feel in terms of sports (well mainly football).

4. Facilities: I personally was very impressed with the facilities at Mizzou compared to elsewhere that I applied. That's more of a see for yourself sort of thing though.

5. 2+2. I haven't enjoyed the perks of this yet, but when my sister heard that Mizzou was 2+2, she essentially told me I need to go here and I will thank her for it (she graduated a few years back from vet school). More clinic time definitely sounded like a major positive to me when I applied.

6. Professors, thus far, have all been fantastic and really are interested in your success as a student.

Cons:
1. Parking. It's not bad yet.... But we also haven't had snow yet. It's an 8-10 minute walk, but is definitely not bad in good weather.

2. HIgher test volume. IP-1 doesn't really get us acquainted with it yet, but it apparently increased in frequency as we go. Thus far I think we have had on average 2 quizzes a week and 1 test a week, but this is the slow IP. It revs up to, from what I remember @Ashgirl saying, 23 a block (aka around 3 a week average), and it also can get very cramped around finals times (aka last test of the semester followed subsequently by a final can lead to stupid amount of tests in a weeks time). Haven't experienced it yet, but I am sure it won't be ideal lol.

3. I am blanking right now, but I am sure there are other small things.... I will update if I think of anything else.

Can you all post these updates to the main thread so that the list gets updated? New information is always appreciated and the centralized location for this info is a great place for newcomers to find it collectively. Thanks!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/factors-when-picking-a-school.580221/

Does anyone know when we might hear about possible interviews? I know dates should be set soon for OSS in January, I was wondering when

Does anyone know when we might hear about possible interviews? I know dates should be set soon for OSS in January, I was wondering when
It won't be before Mid-November. I was notified over Thanksgiving break when I got my OOS interview notification. Unless something changes this year with the new VMCAS/earlier deadline.

Admittedly, I don't keep up much with the OOS timeline since I'm IS, but from what I've seen in the past, OOS interview invites tend to start going out in early-mid November.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

I'm an OOS applicant! Just figured I'd join the thread :)

Reactions: 5 users
Guysss we should be hearing from Mizzou about interviews the first week of November (my assumption after reading last year's thread) !!

Reactions: 2 users
About a week left until interview invites! Oh my goshhhhhhhh! I'm getting excited to hear some news! Nervous too of course!

About a week left until interview invites! Oh my goshhhhhhhh! I'm getting excited to hear some news! Nervous too of course!

*begins hyperventilating*

Guysss we should be hearing from Mizzou about interviews the first week of November (my assumption after reading last year's thread) !!
Is this really true? Both IS and OOS?

Also, how do they send them out? Email?

Is this really true? Both IS and OOS?

Also, how do they send them out? Email?

I think they send out one bunch. Then those invited for interviews have until (I think) around December 1st to accept or deny their interview offer. If offers are denied they'll send out more interview offers to other students. That's how it has been for the past two years atleast.