University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be interesting to try a wiki version of notegroups. (Damn, Dr. Bagel beat me)

Neener. :smuggrin:

Yeah, I don't think it would be hard to set up.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be interesting to try a wiki version of notegroups. (Damn, Dr. Bagel beat me)

Several years of :confused: is over; the final piece of the puzzle is in place, etc...

OH NOES! UR OUTED! :D

Haha, I posted a message about the Wiki idea on the official board. I didn't give you credit Dr. B, but feel free to take it. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I posted a message about the Wiki idea on the official board. I didn't give you credit Dr. B, but feel free to take it. ;)

Actually, our notegroups chair brought this up in the 1st Co2011 officers meeting. I don't know if it originated with him though...we'll just give Dr. Bagel credit.

Well the idea is sort of self apparent when you think of the problem, so I'm betting it arises independantly. I don't want to step on anyone's feet, but I'd be happy to implement it.

To me, "homeschooling" implies at least reading notegroups and/or listening to the lectures at home. I stopped doing both after MS 1, block 1, so I never considered myself a homeschooler. A board review book or two plus syllabus was all I needed.

Homeschooling for me is prolly best summed up by the description the main character in Office Space gives as his typical day at Innotech...

Well the idea is sort of self apparent when you think of the problem, so I'm betting it arises independantly. I don't want to step on anyone's feet, but I'd be happy to implement it.

Yeah, considering wiki technology has been around for seemingly ages, I'd guess lots of people have thought of it. I like it better than the bounty thing, which seems a little bit like pitting classmates against each other.

Yeah, considering wiki technology has been around for seemingly ages, I'd guess lots of people have thought of it. I like it better than the bounty thing, which seems a little bit like pitting classmates against each other.

We get enough of that from across the catwalk to be doing it to ourselves.

Be strong, soonereng! :scared:

I don't know why I just thought of this, other than that's what class I'm working on right now, but I'm sure people have seen the info regarding the declining utility of the flashcards for TB's 2 and 3 of MMI; since these pretty much come from syllabus, could this be taken to mean the syllabus is becoming less useful? Or just that flashcards no longer pull the same pertinent, testable info from the syllabus?

Please elaborate. I've not heard about this.

The flash cards are older than the syllabus, but the syllabus is only slightly newer than say, the biochem syllabus.

On the topic of stuff I'm out of the loop on, I heard that a lecturer was quoted as saying that the pain rating scale was the dumbest question you could ask. In contrast, the PCM sims expect students to ask such things.

:confused:

I believe the flashcard info comes from a post by NR on hippo about studying for MS2. He said something like studying just the flashcards is enough to get a 95% on the first test but would only get you a C on the other tests. I didn't find his IHI advice to be particularly true, so who knows.

I know I hate getting those scale questions because there's no way to accurately answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Same song, different verse.

Someone proposes this kind of thing every year, but by the time anyone gets close to implementing it they realize that it would be of limited use to them.

Yeah, not much of response on the board. The thing is implementing such a thing would be extraordinarily easy and would actually be better/easier to use in the long run. The classes don't change much year to year making notegroups pretty much redundant work. I've looked into mediawiki and a calendar extension. I could probably get it up an running in less than a week, but without participation in it its pretty much useless.

Eek, good luck!! C-section?

Yeah my wife developed pretty bad pre-eclampsia so they did a semi-urgent c-section. The babies were still only at 35 weeks, but her urine protein was pretty high so they went ahead and took them.

Natalie was 4 lb 15 oz and got to come to the room with us. Nate was 5 lb 8 oz and was having a harder time breathing so he went to the NICU.

Congratulations, soonereng! I hope that Nate will be ok.

Awww congrats soonereng! I had a random thought in my head at school earlier today about you & the birth of your kids. Not sure if that was a psychic burst or a loosely connected thought to finding out another girl in our class was preggo. That makes three. Anyways - congrats and send me an email w/pics when you've got 'em! Really, Natalie and Nate are the cutest girl/boy twin names you could come up with. I love it.

I really love this streaming embryo lecture. Why can't biochem be streamed? :confused:

I just finished watching today's embryo. I will shortly be listening to the biochem audio from today (if it's up, I haven't actually looked yet). So far homeschooling = SUPER. Unfortunately, I choose the week where we have mandatory HB PBL sessions, so I can't totally ditch school tomorrow (and even have to get up at 8am :thumbdown:). I think it really works well for my natural circadian (sp?) rhythms to get up around 11 and stay up til 2am studying. Going to anatomy lecture & lab, coming home and cooking dinner & spending a few minutes w/my honey, then studying the day's lectures is a much better method in my book. It seems to be much more effective, too, b/c this is the first time I've gotten on here today!

Thoughts on the wiki notegroups - I'm actually not that into it. I think that maybe had they done it a few years ago it would be worth while, but since they are completely revamping the system in 3 years, it has less long-term utility.

I like the bounty and intend to use it to make some money off the girl who is stealing all my notegroup potential by doing them for $10. :smuggrin: Just kidding.... although I did contemplate it during last TB since she got a lot of the hanas notegroups that were really difficult to read. But, action for spite alone is generally a pretty lousy reason to do anything so I opted against it.

I get to go to the clinic tomorrow (volunteer) :thumbup: and then I get check out some colorectal surgery later in the week :rolleyes:. Haven't called yet to find out when they've got a good one.

We are very happy for you Soonereng, and we'll be praying for Nate!!!!!!!
:cool:

Meant to throw out my $0.02 on the whole pain scale thing. From what most docs have told me, they think the pain scale is ridiculous, but they will occassionally use it to judge whether or not the pain is getting better (i.e. heart attack victim - need to know if the pain is going away so they can know they heart attack has stopped). It is also useful because it makes patients feel good.

Apparently this week I will just get to do rounds w/my doc... no surgery for me. I will try and get my interview knockedo out if I can so I can do the next 4 weeks in surgery instead of rounds b/c rounds are lame :thumbdown:.

Nate got to come to the room this afternoon. Here is a pic of him and sis together (Nate is on the left).

Attachments

• HPIM0317a.jpg
    HPIM0317a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 115
I'm still jealous you get your girl and your boy knocked out in one fell swoop...

Nate got to come to the room this afternoon. Here is a pic of him and sis together (Nate is on the left).

My heart just melted a little with a big awwwwwwww!!!!! Adorable.

Got to make a suggestion that the doc didn't think of for a possible solution to a patient problem at clinic today, and I showed a patient how to take their own blood pressure so they could monitor their BP at home. The doc told said patient they needed to buy a cuff so they could take their own pressure, and after he dismissed the patient, I asked if they would like me to show them how to use one. Patient was very appreciative. Doc told me afterward that was a great thought; that he just assumed patient could do it, but didn't think about how it isn't just a natural ability to figure out how to use a BP cuff & machine. So... two points for me! :D It was nice.

Anyone else irritated that we have 4 hours of embryo lecture next week? :eek: :thumbdown: Oh well, at least I'm starting to get a grip on that class.

I just figured out how I was calculating my anatomy grade wrong. I was counting in the 60 pretest points (total) twice, thus resulting in me making a really high A in the class when my exam scores don't merit such a thing. :rolleyes: If I only had a brain....

It has been nagging me since last week b/c I knew I just had to be doing something wrong, and I couldn't figure out what. :oops:

First off... congrats soonereng!!!

Well, I have less than a week until my interview. Any advice???? Please have advice! PM of post for all to see, I'm not particular.

Well, I have less than a week until my interview. Any advice???? Please have advice! PM of post for all to see, I'm not particular.

The good news is that there's not that much you need to do aside from finding something nice to wear, etc.. OU does seem to like health care policy types of questions, so it might be good to do some reading on various health care improvement plans. :luck:

OU does seem to like health care policy types of questions, so it might be good to do some reading on various health care improvement plans. :luck:

Thank you. That's good to know. I'm kinda dumb on health care improvement. Nothing satisfies.

I had to go back and find my feedback to remember specifics...

But seriously, my PAC interview at OSU was way more stressful than my medical interview. I don't know where you go to ug, but PAC was OSU's pre-med committee, that writes your letter. My advice would be to through your AMCAS again, as it may have been awhile since you've looked at it. If you have ANYTHING that looks out of place, or odd, have an explanation. The only "blemish", besides B's (which took me awhile to make, but once I did, each subsequent one didn't sting as bad...) were 2 W's I had when I first started working at the fire dept. I couldn't take vacation, because I hadn't worked there long enough, so I was missing quite a bit of chemistry and some other class, calc II maybe. I didn't get my job until after add/drop, so I got W's. But of all my transcript, this was the only thing I thought warranted a question, so when it came, it wasn't a surprise at all, and I was glad I had thought back to exactly why they were there.

Know your PS well, as questions may very well come up about that; one page or two isn't really enough sometimes to get the full story across about WHO someone is, so be prepared to elaborate if your life has been more "colorful", which yours likely has.

Of the entire process, I think the interview is by far the most important, because it is the only place who you are really comes out. The PS is BS. You can be a great writer/story teller and have no business in medical school. I don't know if they are all this way, but my interviewers consisted of 1 private doc, 1 academic doc, and 1 4th year. I feel like their whole line of questioning, demeanor, etc, could be summed up by asking, "Can we work with this person?" i.e., is this person motivated by the same things we are, does he value the same things we do, and on and on.

i remember going over the interview feedback here on SDN was helpful. i get a feeling the interviews and questions they ask dont change significantly from year to year.

http://share.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp?school=103

Yes, I thought that was extremely helful when preparing for my interview. Some of the questions were exactly as stated, although for me personally, it was more of a "get to know who you are" type of conversation since I was a non-trad applicant.

Honestly, though, I'd be so freaking scared if I were you.

Uh yeah, I had more sleep during test block than I have the first three days of this week by far! So I may just have more time to study when helping feed or something.

I'm sure we will get it all figured out, although the grades may take a hit this block getting a good routine down, but I wouldn't trade the kids for a grade in any century. :love:

Congrats soonereng! I don't think I could manage kids and school at the same time. :X

Mom, my suggestions are to relax, pause, and then speak. Honestly, just be a reasonable person in answering the questions posed to you, and you will be golden. I don't think it would hurt to know what you want to highlight about yourself in order distinguish yourself from other applicants. Good luck and let us know how it goes.:luck:

Thanks everyone so much for your advice. I've been so nervous this past week that I literally get nausous every time I even think about it. However, I competed in drama/debate (oratory was my particular specialty) so I know how to fake it even when I want to throw up on their shoes. I just have no idea what to expect, and I HATE the unknown.

Thanks everyone so much for your advice. I've been so nervous this past week that I literally get nausous every time I even think about it. However, I competed in drama/debate (oratory was my particular specialty) so I know how to fake it even when I want to throw up on their shoes. I just have no idea what to expect, and I HATE the unknown.

Best advice that is often stated: be yourself. The best thing you can do is answer every question honestly and as close to exactly how you feel as you can. Most often, they will be doctors who can tell when you are fibbing / BSing. My first year applying - I got the hardnosers that made me feel like I was worthless. I didn't feel comfortable with my answers to their questions b/c I had prepped myself to say "what they wanted to hear" and not how I actually felt. I got defensive and "argumentitive" (their words). Sooo.. don't do that. The next cycle, I didn't over-analyze everything and answered all the questions based on my actual opinions and feelings, not based on what I thought they wanted to hear. I don't think they agreed with everything I said, but they respected that I held my ground. They even asked me a question w/a word that I didn't know and had to say, Ummm I don't know what ____ means (the word was duplicitous, which I now know means not fully truthful, deceitful). :oops: They asked if I felt that the stem cell research issue was black and white or had gray areas, and I stated there is only one side to it and the other side is just flat wrong (only somewhat more eloquently than that). So - know thyself. Answer honestly, but don't overshare. If they ask what you'd do if a classmate was cheating, answer that you would advise the prof of what you saw b/c present behavior dictates future behavior and you don't want doctors who cheat (that's probably the only question that I think you ought to answer that way whether or not you believe it b/c that's what an adcom member told me and he could be your interviewer). Be prepared for relaxed and conversation like (i.e. last year, they started the interview off telling me they were my advisaries and they just needed a reason to go downstairs and tell everyone else how wonderful I was) and be ready for not so sweet (i.e. year before started off w/"tell me about yourself" followed by some other expected questions, then something along the lines of why do you have such a decreasing trend in your grades? what makes you think you can get through medical school?"). So!!!

There is my long winded advice. Read over the feedback from prior years and think about how you'd answer those questions but DON'T pre-plan a full response. It will sound rehearsed. The interview feedback is actually how I found out about SDN and how I found the OUCOM thread, so yay for that!

I have completely blown off studying this evening. I heard numerous people talking today about how they haven't studied at all since the end of last TB, and since I have I figured I deserved an evening off. It's been kinda dull, actually. I don't realize how boring my life is when I'm studying... Oh well - I get to see colonoscopies tomorrow! :rolleyes: Then bar tour! :thumbup:

My only advice is that just like most things (e.g. when I went skydiving recently), the anticipation is the worst part. You sound like you're going to do just fine in the interview. Good luck!

Know your AMCAS. Take deep breaths. :)

I'm afraid that the best advice I can give you has already been repeated. Be yourself, and don't prepare answers. Know roughly what you would say if a challenging question came up, but don't memorize an answer word-for-word.

Also, I don't know if this is too late...My boyfriend and his friend did a mock interview for me a couple of weeks prior to my interview and they were mean. But it really helped me prepare responses, not get defensive, and eliminate nervous tics. They used a list of questions from the SDN interview site from years past at the OUHSC.

One last thing---don't be negative!!! Always try to be positive. For example, I was asked why I chose to submit three letters of recommendation from 3 separate professors instead of doing the committee interview. Instead of explaining that I hated interviews, I said that I felt that three people who'd known me for at least 16 weeks would know me better than 3 people who'd only talked to me for an hour. My interviewers accepted that answer. They also wanted to know why I'd gotten my B's (easily explained) and why my MCAT score was low compared to their expectations based on my GPA. (Yeah, I didn't appreciate that question.) :D Good luck!

<complaint> I called my preceptor today in anticipation for PCM tomorrow and explained to him that I'd need a full history from one patient in order to write a paper. His response? "I've done this for 3 years and I've never had any student ask me for that. You can't do a full interview. We only deal with one organ system, the eye. It would be pointless to do a full interview." I tried to explain it to him, but I only got "No, you can't do a physical on the patient." "I'm not going to do a physical, I'm only going to do a history." "You only get 15 minutes with the patient, ok?" :confused: Also, he insisted that I only stay for 2 hours, b/c I'll get bored, and that's just dandy to me. I just hope that he's nicer than what he sounded. :smuggrin: </complaint>

<complaint> I called my preceptor today in anticipation for PCM tomorrow and explained to him that I'd need a full history from one patient in order to write a paper. His response? "I've done this for 3 years and I've never had any student ask me for that. You can't do a full interview. We only deal with one organ system, the eye. It would be pointless to do a full interview." I tried to explain it to him, but I only got "No, you can't do a physical on the patient." "I'm not going to do a physical, I'm only going to do a history." "You only get 15 minutes with the patient, ok?" :confused: Also, he insisted that I only stay for 2 hours, b/c I'll get bored, and that's just dandy to me. I just hope that he's nicer than what he sounded. :smuggrin: </complaint>

He sounds a little unaccommodating. If you really can't get a full history, you can find someone else to interview and use that for your paper. I know lots of people in our class wound up doing that for one reason or another.

He sounds a little unaccommodating. If you really can't get a full history, you can find someone else to interview and use that for your paper. I know lots of people in our class wound up doing that for one reason or another.

Yeah, I left out the next part of the story, when I called the coodinator in a panic. Luckily, she was very nice and told me I could interview a family member or a friend. One of my modmates has already volunteered to tell me all about his allergies. :D

unless you are interviewing bed ridden patients on a medicine ward, time doesnt allow you to do an entire history in the detail that we are supposed to. but you can get more than enough information in 15 to write great history. also, lots of info regarding past medical, ros, etc. is filled out on forms prior to most patients seeing his/her physician. dont freak out.

"I've done this for 3 years and I've never had any student ask me for that. You can't do a full interview. We only deal with one organ system, the eye. It would be pointless to do a full interview." I tried to explain it to him, but I only got "No, you can't do a physical on the patient." "I'm not going to do a physical, I'm only going to do a history." "You only get 15 minutes with the patient, ok?" :confused: Also, he insisted that I only stay for 2 hours, b/c I'll get bored, and that's just dandy to me. I just hope that he's nicer than what he sounded. :smuggrin: </complaint>

This does not surprise me one bit. Your preceptor is the doc who did my LASIK back in March, and sadly, this is what I would expect of him. He seemed like a nice guy before the surgery, and he's definitely very intelligent and good at his job (the surgery part), but he doesn't seem to care much about the patients. Hopefully you'll at least have a decent experience.

This does not surprise me one bit. Your preceptor is the doc who did my LASIK back in March, and sadly, this is what I would expect of him. He seemed like a nice guy before the surgery, and he's definitely very intelligent and good at his job (the surgery part), but he doesn't seem to care much about the patients. Hopefully you'll at least have a decent experience.

As my wife is shopping for LASIK, who is this?

My first PCM rotation was bad. Actually, I didn't ever have one. I had CT surg at Southwest. The night before the first one, I spent some time going over pertinent anatomy, reviewing in general what information I could find about the procedure that was scheduled, and doing some background info on the surgeon, you know, not-so-private things like how many times he's been sued, what for, when he got married, what his wife does, etc. I like details. So I trek down to the barrio the next day. I check in, and his nurse tells me, "Here's the scrub room. Change, then go to the lounge and someone'll come get you." 3 hrs later, after no one acknowledged my presence and I was tired of reading Chung's, I left. The awesome part was I left my ID clipped to their scrubs. So I went back the next week. Waited an hour this time before leaving. So I called Kim and said hey, I dunno WTF is going on, but if you get a ****ty review of me, this is why. I didn't go the 3rd week. Then his scheduler-person called me, and asked where I'd been. After telling her how much lost time, gas money, and general PITA it had been, and I STILL needed an interview, I said you won't have to worry where I am anymore.
So I just interviewed my wife, who was a few weeks post-C-section, and much easier to find.

You're right. I had a pretty good experience today (saw some blood vessels in the eye and cataracts! yay) and he was really nice to me, but I'm still not going to get an interview and I noticed that his patient interaction was very rushed. One patient tried to engage him in conversation but he was doing her paperwork and wasn't really responding. It's not my place to say anything though, so I'm just going to try and learn as much as I can. He told me that I will get to play with the ophthalmoscope more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.