University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I came home and slept after the exam. Unfortunately, I wasn't really planning to do that with a 5 hour block of my day. Thankfully, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Did anyone else see this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/usdocstaughtlittleaboutwartimeethics

I can not understand how this is either news worthy/relevant. How is it important for doctors to know more about the Geneva convention then say a lay person. Frankly, the fact that 30% of the respondents did actually know the rules was fairly impressive. Especially when you consider that probably less than 5% of all people in medical school become military doctors. Seems like a silly thing to have a study on, and some douchebag psychologist at Harvard felt like snubbing his psychiatric colleagues because he is stuck in the anal phase. But that is for another day... Wednesday evening specifically.

Members don't see this ad.

I just hate our classes. All of them.

Honestly it does get better. Neuro and physiology are 50 million times more interesting than either anatomy or biochem, and once you get to second year, you start to learn about diseases and treatments (you know, what we're here for). So just hang in there, and you'll like it more.

I'm so glad we don't have a test tomorrow.

Ice, they did not increase the lifetime limit for the staffords when they increased the early amount. They really should, but I don't see it happening any time soon. As it is, I'll hit the limit my 4th year. GradPlus loans comes with a fixed 8.5% interest rate less whatever incentives your lender might give you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly it does get better. Neuro and physiology are 50 million times more interesting than either anatomy or biochem, and once you get to second year, you start to learn about diseases and treatments (you know, what we're here for). So just hang in there, and you'll like it more.

I would believe you if it weren't for your prior complaints on how MMI is just memorizing useless tidbits of information that only picks up apparent relevance during 3rd year (and you also have to know for the boards). ;)

I'm hanging... just bitterly. I'm not even really that bitter overall - it just seeps out of me during test block. I also feel if we didn't have test blocks, the bitterness would exist at all times and in large quantities, so thank God they do it this way. But still. I'm already thinking "How bad would the Embryo exam tomorrow be if I just don't study for it?" I have just started now. Came home, went to lunch with the SO, took a nap, started watching my new series (Entourage), watched TV, and goofed off. So... now it's 10pm. I guess that means I have about 4 hours of studying available until I have to pass out. It would actually be wise to crash before then so I'm not so wiped out for tomorrow b/c tomorrow afternoon will be the worst. Studying for anatomy is overwhelming.

Soonergeek - you need to share your blow with the rest of us.

Anyways, back to pretending to study.

Call me lazy (because thats fairly accurate), but do the med-student wannabes take the exact same test as us? (Yes, I am trying to stir the pot a bit. Come on lurkers! Getcha some!!) If so, then they can not possibly test over the clinical correlation materials right? Of course, the only one that I would expect to see on this test is the cleft palate one. I just want to be comfortable with the fact that I have not even looked at the clinical correlations, and I even missed 2 of them.

Also, I am probably just being complacent, but it really does not seem like there is all that much material to learn this block for Embryo. I'm going to just memorize Jwax's notes, I reckon.

Ye gads, there seems to be a ton of stuff on this exam. Maybe it's b/c it's so dense. Like w/ O'Don's stuff...There is no way I'm memorizing ALL of that for tomorrow. :(

MS3 and MS4s, how much of the first two years is important/applicable for you so far? Not for the shelf exams, but clinically.

Call me lazy (because thats fairly accurate), but do the med-student wannabes take the exact same test as us? (Yes, I am trying to stir the pot a bit. Come on lurkers! Getcha some!!) If so, then they can not possibly test over the clinical correlation materials right? Of course, the only one that I would expect to see on this test is the cleft palate one. I just want to be comfortable with the fact that I have not even looked at the clinical correlations, and I even missed 2 of them.

Also, I am probably just being complacent, but it really does not seem like there is all that much material to learn this block for Embryo. I'm going to just memorize Jwax's notes, I reckon.

You mean the toof-pullers? No they don't. Pfft, like they could pass med school exams. It's big people school...

If you mean PhD peeps in anatomy, I have no idea. I don't know if we had any. We did for neuro.

So is the difference b/t 38.5K and this year's total made up by Gradplus loans? I remember them asking if I wanted more money, or maybe something about the kiddo, and upon learning it wouldn't be subject to the same rates or whatever as Stafford's, saying no thanks. I was curious about these dual degrees, say the MPH. If you enroll in one, but are already maxed on Stafford's, do you take out gradplus or what? Are the mudphud's paying separate tuition for their non-MD classes? Or is independently wealthy lineage the answer?

I believe the mudphuds receive a stipend, though I'm not sure of the amount.

You mean the toof-pullers? No they don't. Pfft, like they could pass med school exams. It's big people school...

If you mean PhD peeps in anatomy, I have no idea. I don't know if we had any. We did for neuro.

So is the difference b/t 38.5K and this year's total made up by Gradplus loans? I remember them asking if I wanted more money, or maybe something about the kiddo, and upon learning it wouldn't be subject to the same rates or whatever as Stafford's, saying no thanks. I was curious about these dual degrees, say the MPH. If you enroll in one, but are already maxed on Stafford's, do you take out gradplus or what? Are the mudphud's paying separate tuition for their non-MD classes? Or is independently wealthy lineage the answer?

Some (all?) of the mudphuds get their tuition paid as well as stipends to go to school. Kind of a poor trade off to me, but whatever.

Ye gads, there seems to be a ton of stuff on this exam. Maybe it's b/c it's so dense. Like w/ O'Don's stuff...There is no way I'm memorizing ALL of that for tomorrow. :(

Yep, I remember O'Don's neuro stuff seeming pretty scary. The good news is that our questions on it were pretty straight forward and that understanding the big picture was enough. So memorize what becomes the forebrain, midbrain whatever and move on. Oh yeah, and what cranial nerves are in what area. Rada's questions are very straight forward, too.

Getting to mudphuds, they get to go to school for free. I believe they get something like full tuition plus a $20k (or so) living stipend. So no debt, but 4 years of lost earnings. I'm still not jealous. :)

So, yeah, I bitch about MMI, but even that is 50 million times more interesting than biochem. And I'll say I love IHI and can tolerate pharm. Yep, it always sucks, but it sucks a little less. :thumbup:

Are the mudphud's paying separate tuition for their non-MD classes? Or is independently wealthy lineage the answer?

md/phds are the exception. they dont pay for anything that i know of and they get a stipend (~$1200/month). cush gig if you can stand doing research for 3-5 yrs between ms2 and ms3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Learn what comes out of the pontomedullary thingamajig, etc.

I just want to be comfortable with the fact that I have not even looked at the clinical correlations, and I even missed 2 of them.

I'm going to just memorize Jwax's notes, I reckon.

:lol: Thanks for the credit. I actually just got to Odon's stuff and remembered that I did a notegroups for the second lecture and that you had said they were great so I was planning to open those up with the lecture slides. I have to memorize my own material, ha!

These statemets would seem to be contradictory...

:) Yep. I think that would be because Queenie has been drowning in biochem. If you spend too much time on biochem, everything else fades away... am I right? Based on my incredibly poor performance, I am considering the possibility of attending lectures for biochem from now on. Not going to embryo (but watching the video) has worked out great, but I just can't force myself to listen to an audio file. If they would just video record all the biochem lectures like they do for the others, I'd be a happy camper.

I tried to evenly divide my time for classes this block. I was TERRIFIED last TB of the embryo exam at this point, but this time, I've seen almost everything at least once (except the clinical correlations because I skipped all of them) and understood most of it (except formation of the palate as far as movements go and the eye). Why is the eye so much more confusing than everything else? I would concur that the only likely CC to be covered is the cleft palate, but I'm probably going to at least read the notegroups once for the other CCs (and read Dr. D's slides for the cleft palate CC).

:) Yep. I think that would be because Queenie has been drowning in biochem. If you spend too much time on biochem, everything else fades away... am I right?

Why is the eye so much more confusing than everything else? I would concur that the only likely CC to be covered is the cleft palate, but I'm probably going to at least read the notegroups once for the other CCs (and read Dr. D's slides for the cleft palate CC).

Yes, everything has faded away, esp. anatomy. :(

I'm on the eye right now...ugh....Last time, I crammed for embryo, but I'd looked at it a couple of weekends prior to test block and felt comfy. But now...

I'm with you guys on the CC. At any rate, the cleft palate one is the only one I'll be studying.

Thankfully, the Cleft Palate lecture by Dr D. is just resolidifying everything discussed in class. The only novel information that seems test worthy is the "classes of cleft." Just remember, I (soft palate cleft) = hardly noticable ---> IV bilateral clefting of premaxilla = superbad noticable. If they get much more detailed than that, I will cackle maniacally, shred my test while throwing it in the air and say "Weeeee, its snowing!!" Yep... I'm gonna be THAT guy.

Thankfully, the Cleft Palate lecture by Dr D. is just resolidifying everything discussed in class. The only novel information that seems test worthy is the "classes of cleft." Just remember, I (soft palate cleft) = hardly noticable ---> IV bilateral clefting of premaxilla = superbad noticable. If they get much more detailed than that, I will cackle maniacally, shred my test while throwing it in the air and say "Weeeee, its snowing!!" Yep... I'm gonna be THAT guy.

Oh no...You've been spending too much time with Frank, haven't you? I think that an intervention is pending. ;)

And one more thing...You need an avatar!!!

Frank needs all the love an attention I can give him. He wears neon for godsake!

Now, does love for a male stuffed halloween doll fall under the heading of paraphilia, homosexuality, or "other."

Yes, I do need an avatar, and I will update my title from pre-med as soon as I feel like a med student. Probably around the time of my residency.

:lol: That's fabulous. I love it. I'm still giggling.

Editting to add that it took until I reached slide 19 on the oral cavity development to realize I had also done the notegroups for that lecture. It is a wonder I remember anything in life at all.

Hey, I'm going over those notes right now myself. I retract what I said earlier about there not being that much to know for this block. Hope that they don't get to detail nit-pickey and word recognition wins the day.

Hey, I'm going over those notes right now myself. I retract what I said earlier about there not being that much to know for this block. Hope that they don't get to detail nit-pickey and word recognition wins the day.

My thoughts exactly. As long is they just go for big picture and ask a lot of questions about branchial arches, I'm good-ish.

My brain has stopped functioning. It is refusing any more knowledge and I must go to sleep. Didn't get through all of the notes.... hopefully I'll have time finish reading eye/ear before the exam in the AM.

Did anyone else see this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/usdocstaughtlittleaboutwartimeethics

I can not understand how this is either news worthy/relevant. How is it important for doctors to know more about the Geneva convention then say a lay person. Frankly, the fact that 30% of the respondents did actually know the rules was fairly impressive. Especially when you consider that probably less than 5% of all people in medical school become military doctors. Seems like a silly thing to have a study on, and some douchebag psychologist at Harvard felt like snubbing his psychiatric colleagues because he is stuck in the anal phase. But that is for another day... Wednesday evening specifically.

Wow...just....wow. Talk about holding physicians to a ridiculously higher standard than the rest of the population.

:luck: MS1s! As I recall from last year, this test really wasn't as hard as it could have been, and it's embryo so yeah.

So why do the alpha2 agonist drugs cause dry mouth and constipation? Since they increase parasympathetic response, shouldn't they cause the reverse? Any clues?

:luck: MS1s! As I recall from last year, this test really wasn't as hard as it could have been, and it's embryo so yeah.

So why do the alpha2 agonist drugs cause dry mouth and constipation? Since they increase parasympathetic response, shouldn't they cause the reverse? Any clues?

The medullary centers that control salivation are inhibited by α2 agonism. That and sedation are the biggest ADR's, and the former occurs in up to 50% of pts., less so when given as a patch. It is dose-related (hence more likely to occur when PO b/c of [plasma] spikes), and often abates within several weeks. If it doesn't it's usually why pts. don't stay on it. Plus it makes your noodle limp. So if you have HTN, are married to a woman with HTN, and you both take Clonidine, it's gonna be short night. No kissing, foreplay is out, and on top of that you'll pass out before anything happens.

Clonidine can be used as part of the differential for pheochromocytoma also...

Like was stated earlier, don't think, memorize :thumbup:

It was still harder than I anticipated. I just can't give a two week head start to the test block. I shouldn't have that problem next test block though.

OK, so again I suck at gauging how I did on tests. I did a lot better than I thought coming out of the exam. 3 cheers for good guessing!

OK, so again I suck at gauging how I did on tests. I did a lot better than I thought coming out of the exam. 3 cheers for good guessing!

I thought I would have done a little better than I did. I hit the middle to high area of my prediction for biochem, and I hit the low end of the range of predictions for embryo. Eh whatever. I don't think it really matters too much. Time for a nap so I can get some sleep before spending hours and hours trying to finally grasph anatomy.

does it feel like thursday afternoon to anyone else?

well, I'm sure I did worse on embryo than I did for the first block. I'm at least glad that the ones I didn't know were all just because I neglected to study something rather than just not being able to think of the answer.

I have missed a couple that I didn't think I missed after hearing people discussing the test. That's always a bad feeling.

That's what I thought too. Just go ahead and grade it; you know you want to. :thumbup:

Haha, tempting, but I'm going to be strong. I'll find out on Thursday how good of a guesser I am (or not). :cool:

Haha, tempting, but I'm going to be strong. I'll find out on Thursday how good of a guesser I am (or not). :cool:

You're a stronger person than me. :)

So pharm is making me mad with its poorly written, disorganized syllabus full of dated and contradictory info. I think I'm going to stop studying even though I still don't really understand arrthymias.

Oh yeah, adding my dirty humor pharmacology thought to go along with Ice's drug. I love how the long-lasting erectile dysfunction drug is called tadalafil, like tada, my penis works. I don't think I'll ever forget the name of that drug.

The syllabus is bad. I love how the types of arrythmias followed by their treatment appears to be an afterthought. Oh yeah by the way memorize these treatments that should have been integrated into the syllabus section.

So pharm is making me mad with its poorly written, disorganized syllabus full of dated and contradictory info. I think I'm going to stop studying even though I still don't really understand arrthymias.

Oh yeah, adding my dirty humor pharmacology thought to go along with Ice's drug. I love how the long-lasting erectile dysfunction drug is called tadalafil, like tada, my penis works. I don't think I'll ever forget the name of that drug.

did we do ED this block?

:thumbup: Nice. I'll probably still remember that come next year.

I'm not exactly intending to quit studying, but I certainly feel a lack of pressure that I haven't felt any other night. I think anatomy is probably the only subject you can't really cram for. Either you've learned it along the way, or you didn't. So I'm just kinda reading over my notes / lectures, to be followed by various websites' practice questions and Chung's videos. That's about all I feel would be useful. I think it is too late to learn any more big picture stuff; time to throw in a few details that may or may not help out, followed by actually getting some sleep tonight. Maybe even a full 8 hours.

ITA on anatomy. I've kind of given up as well.

Since the thread always gets closed at about 1000 posts, I went ahead and started a new one (ignore the one I posted in the allo forum and hopefully it will get closed).

Here is a link to the new thread.

This thread is right at the 1000 post limit. A new Part 4 thread has been created, so please feel free to continue the discussion there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.