University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@FutureDoc_OC
First thing I was asked: Tell us a little about yourself <--- led right into 'Why Osteopathic Medicine?'
-What makes you pick our school?
-One C on my entire transcript of mostly A's, they asked about it lol
-I took an Obamacare class, they were intrigued and wanted to know what I learned.
-Asked about a few of my volunteering activities they weren't familiar with.

I may be forgetting one/two points but it didn't take long for them to change gears and ask what questions I had for them. That happened pretty early in the interview so it definitely helped that I was prepared and had questions to ask:
1) Find their catalog from their website, read through it and write down things that interest you and eventually this will lead you to questions. Being able to name-drop some of their specific activities that they offer shows you are really invested in their program, and can really make you stand out over the other interviewers.
2) You will be provided with a mini autobiography of the interviewers before you meet them, I made sure to touch on each of their line of work/interests.

Just make sure to relax, it's crazy laid back. Come prepared and you will do fine.
Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection Email today

Attachments

• okay-thats-cool.jpg
    okay-thats-cool.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 44
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall! I was accepted a few months back, but I'll be withdrawing and going to a different school. Hope one of you get it! It's a great school!

Hey yall! I was accepted a few months back, but I'll be withdrawing and going to a different school. Hope one of you get it! It's a great school!

Where to? If you don't mind me asking

Does kycom still have spots available ? Anyone know

I just got an email stating they were pretty full and interviewing for next years class with the possibility of spots opening up.

I just got an email stating they were pretty full and interviewing for next years class with the possibility of spots opening up.

I think it's so cool how they do this. I would much rather be accepted for next year's class +having the chance to matriculate this year than being dragged along the rest of this cycle as a wait listed applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm giving up my interview. Best of luck to you guys!

Last edited:
Still no interview here, sent a letter of interest today. Hopefully they'll look at my file!

Members don't see this ad :)
I made my deposit a few days ago and have a receipt. However, I have not received any additional information or responses to emails??? I hope everything is ok. This whole "medical school application thing" has made me such a worrier!

I made my deposit a few days ago and have a receipt. However, I have not received any additional information or responses to emails??? I hope everything is ok. This whole "medical school application thing" has made me such a worrier!

I know a first year here who said they got hit with snow really bad and were out of school for a few days. They may just be catching up with things. I too made my deposit recently, with no email. I was going to give it until the middle of next week before contacting them.

How have people sent in their official transcripts? Any reason why an eTranscript wouldn't work?

How have people sent in their official transcripts? Any reason why an eTranscript wouldn't work?

As far as I know, they want you to mail them in. You can email Ms. Hamilton to ask about the eTranscript.

Hi new to the thread but I just got an II for 3/27. Just wondering if any current students had any advice on anything they would or wouldn't do in preparation for school? Just realized that makes me sound way overconfident but I've already made preparations if I'm not accepted this cycle.

Hi new to the thread but I just got an II for 3/27. Just wondering if any current students had any advice on anything they would or wouldn't do in preparation for school? Just realized that makes me sound way overconfident but I've already made preparations if I'm not accepted this cycle.

I recommend to just think about the interview first. If you are accepted for this incoming class, then you will be told what to do in preparation. If you are accepted for next year's class, then this time next year you will be told what to do for preparation.

Unless I'm not understanding your question?

Does anyone know when KYCOM stops doing interviews?

More than likely end of March like most schools. Out of curiosity does anyone know the class size for this years incoming class?

More than likely end of March like most schools. Out of curiosity does anyone know the class size for this years incoming class?

yeah i agree. End of March would probably be the last of the interviews, however, last year, I was included in the group of students that interviewed on April 12th for possible spots in the 2018 matriculating class. So there might STILL be another interview cycle or two. It probably all depends on how many people have accepted seats and who they are waiting to hear back from as well.

I'm not exactly sure how many people will be in the incoming class, but according to the 2013-2014 incoming class there were 141 students (80 male, 61 female) this is according to the aacom.org website. Of course this information is a tad bit out dated, but I'm not really sure they will change the number of matriculates all that much, so I would use that number as a ball park figure.

Hello all,
I recently got accepted (03/04/15) for the class of 2020 and have a few questions that I hope you all can help me out with. How long did the snail mail take to get to you? Does the 14 days start from when you receive the mail or the sent it? How exactly does everyone find housing around Pikeville?

Hello all,
I recently got accepted (03/04/15) for the class of 2020 and have a few questions that I hope you all can help me out with. How long did the snail mail take to get to you? Does the 14 days start from when you receive the mail or the sent it? How exactly does everyone find housing around Pikeville?

Hey there. I'm sorry i cannot speak on your first two questions but as far as housing goes, they will send you a welcome packet through email that shows a list of people renting apartments and housing. However, I was lucky to find an AWESOME place that was advertised in the Facebook group called KYCOM SAA. (KYCOM Student Advocates Association) this is a closed group, but if you join you will get an invite. There are many people listing houses for rent and apartments for rent and some even include pictures which helps out a lot. Also join the KYCOM c/o 2019 class Facebook page as well since there are several people that are in the process of locking apartments down and are asking for roommates and such. Or if you are in a situation like me, and are bringing family/kids along, there are people also advertising their homes to rent out as well.

Hello all,
I actually got the snail mail the day after my deposit was due. They go off the call date, not the mail. You should have received a copy of the acceptance letter from Angelina and that has the Deere date on it for you.

Did Angelina send the acceptance via email? If she did, how long did it take to receive it?

Hello all,

I wouldn't worry about the housing stuff now since you were accepted for class of 2020, most housing people won't talk to you unless you are looking for soon.

Did Angelina send the acceptance via email? If she did, how long did it take to receive it?
Yes, I did recieve the acceptance via the day after he called me. But if it was yesterday weather could be getting in the way.

Yes, I did recieve the acceptance via the day after he called me. But if it was yesterday weather could be getting in the way.
I agree I think the weather has gotten in the way, I still have yet to receive my official snail mail copy of my acceptance.

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 4th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 4th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

Well, you won't have a chance to show an improved application for the next cycle if you send for this one. This is the largest reason why it is not good to send this late in the cycle. You have an average GPA and high MCAT, you would be doing a disservice to yourself by applying now. With that combo and an early app, even the top DO schools will be looking at you. Apply next cycle, it is just around the corner anyway. Good luck.

@pepperonipizza I could not agree more with @IslandStyle808. Apply at the beginning of this next cycle and you will probably be able to choose which DO school you want to attend, you are competitive for all of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,
I'm in the same boat as you, I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't received anything yet and my portal hasn't changed either. Along with the weather, I'm guessing since we're not technically in the 2019 class we're not really top priority haha.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you, I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't received anything yet and my portal hasn't changed either. Along with the weather, I'm guessing since we're not technically in the 2019 class we're not really top priority haha.

Did they happen to say if they expect a lot of movement from the 2020 to 2019 class? I'm just curious since they still have another interview day im assuming they expect a lot of movement?

Did they happen to say if they expect a lot of movement from the 2020 to 2019 class? I'm just curious since they still have another interview day im assuming they expect a lot of movement?
During my interview this past Friday (2/27) Mr. Collins said they usually see about 20-30 spots open up. We were the first interview group to be placed into the overflow class of 2020. I'm hoping our chances are pretty good and I am currently awaiting a response form Mr. Collins with an update. He also said they interviewed more people this year and had a full class earlier. They expect the majority of their movement to happen around May.

During my interview this past Friday (2/27) Mr. Collins said they usually see about 20-30 spots open up. We were the first interview group to be placed into the overflow class of 2020. I'm hoping our chances are pretty good and I am currently awaiting a response form Mr. Collins with an update. He also said they interviewed more people this year and had a full class earlier. They expect the majority of their movement to happen around May.

Well hopefully there is some movement! I imagine once other schools began to pull from waitlists people will change. And since you are in contact with Ronnie that may even look better, showing that you really want to be in this class. Was that entire interview day for overfill class?

Well hopefully there is some movement! I imagine once other schools began to pull from waitlists people will change. And since you are in contact with Ronnie that may even look better, showing that you really want to be in this class. Was that entire interview day for overfill class?

Yeah pretty much. He sent an email to everyone stating the interview will be for the class of 2020, with the possibility of entering the 2019 class.

According to a friend of mine who is interviewing the last week of March who is from Pikeville they have 2 slots left for this year's class per weekend. So from that Friday and Saturday they'll fill too spots, so an overfill spot is much more likely.
If people are holding multiple acceptances that have to go to 1 April 30th so shortly after that a lot of movement should happen.

According to a friend of mine who is interviewing the last week of March who is from Pikeville they have 2 slots left for this year's class per weekend. So from that Friday and Saturday they'll fill too spots, so an overfill spot is much more likely.
If people are holding multiple acceptances that have to go to 1 April 30th so shortly after that a lot of movement should happen.

Oh alright I was just curious how filled the class was. I was accepted for 2019 back in December. They have to be expecting alot of movement or they wouldnt even have another interview, they pretty much filled our class on 4 interview weekends and this is second overfill. My friend is interviewing the last week of march also!

Are the students accepted for the class of 2020 offered spots in the class of 2019 as they open up? How likely is it for someone who has been put on the wait list to be offered a spot?

Are the students accepted for the class of 2020 offered spots in the class of 2019 as they open up? How likely is it for someone who has been put on the wait list to be offered a spot?

My understanding is that they are equally left to chance. As accepted students abandon their deposits, students either waitlisted or offered a seat for 2020 are pulled based off of some weighted system. But the whole offering a seat for next year thing confuses me.

BTW (not sure if you were even suggesting this) but I don't think 'waitlist=seat for 2020'. I'm only pointing it out because it's a very hazardous assumption to make.

Hey everyone

Im a 4th year student here at KYCOM. Thought I would see if any future students had any questions they wanted to ask KYCOM students. I wont know the cirriculum for the current 1-2nd years as they have changed since I left for clinical rotations, but if you have any questions pertaining to the area, the school, or anything...just PM me and Ill be happy to answer your questions.

Hey guys, I'm sure some of you have posted this info way back in previous pages of this thread but I was wondering if some of you (whether you have or haven't already) could post your stats if you were accepted? I'm really interested in applying to this school in the upcoming cycle and I have "underdog stats."

Thanks guys!

From what I remember most people had a 25-30 range and gpa 3.3-3.8

tGPA:3.48, sGPA: 3.45, MCAT: 24, 2+ yrs laboratory research experience, 2 yrs clinical research experience, D.O. shadowing, Hospital volunteer hours.

Best of luck!

Does anyone know how to contact the school? I wanted to check my application status but every time I call the number on their website I get directed to a weird voicemail that no one seems to be responding to. Also I've emailed [email protected] multiple times and have not received any reply. I applied back in October was when I submitted my secondaries and have not heard anything! I really was hoping to go here. Anyone else in the same boat or know someone I could get in touch would I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

Does anyone know how to contact the school? I wanted to check my application status but every time I call the number on their website I get directed to a weird voicemail that no one seems to be responding to. Also I've emailed [email protected] multiple times and have not received any reply. I applied back in October was when I submitted my secondaries and have not heard anything! I really was hoping to go here. Anyone else in the same boat or know someone I could get in touch would I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

I think the last interview day for this cycle is this weekend or next weekend.. So that might be why he's not responding.

I think the last interview day for this cycle is this weekend or next weekend.. So that might be why he's not responding.
Ok thanks disappointing to hear. I had called the school in January, emailed him early February and never got any word from the school. Wish I could've gotten a hold of someone

Ok thanks disappointing to hear. I had called the school in January, emailed him early February and never got any word from the school. Wish I could've gotten a hold of someone

Have you tried contacting Angel Hamilton?