University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You really think? If you score low on your MCAT it's probably due to lack of testing abilities since the material is much easier than med school and you should have learned it in college. Plus years of data predicts better MCATS better boards but hey data doesn't matter right. ;) I mean I by no means blew it out of the water but I studied three weeks and was better than average easily. I want to go into neurology and I for a fact know the boards matter most of all especially when I'll be a DO versus a lot of MD's which still get a little preference. But good luck to you guys anyways regardless of what you believe or your opinion is. We will all be doctors one day. KYCOM must be a decent school. The guy at BCOM told me he helped get it going.
Of course data matters, so does actually reading the data :) http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2093017 particularly tables 1 & 3.
Performance in medical school provides a MUCH HIGHER correlation to level 1 COMLEX scores. 0.3-0.4 range is hardly a strong correlation coefficient, especially when compared to the 0.7-0.8 range. After all, we are on a osteopathic thread, right? So that means COMLEX.
I never said anything about COMLEX scores not being important when it comes to residency. Yes, your board score determines what you're able to do with your life.
The MCAT and the COMLEX are nothing alike. Which also makes sense why it's not that strong of a predictor and performance in medical school is.
I'll just leave my "opinion" backed by stats here and you can decide for yourself. Good luck in your neurology endeavors.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I have read plenty of it and you can ask @Goro all day long but it's okay people do see things differently. I just don't think if you make below like a 22 or 23 on the MCAT you will do well but hey who knows. Plus that data compared a very small amount of students.

Haha I have read plenty of it and you can ask @Goro all day long but it's okay people do see things differently. I just don't think if you make below like a 22 or 23 on the MCAT you will do well but hey who knows. Plus that data compared a very small amount of students.

I'd like to see your sources? I am actually in 2nd year of medical school and I will tell you it doesn't matter what your MCAT score is if you suck at micro, you will be crushed in boards. If you suck at OMT, you will be crushed in boards, etc. Does doing well on the MCAT mean you are smart & have good testing skills? Yes, I'm sure. But if you are getting Cs in med school with a 37 MCAT, don't expect to get a 700 on boards. But if you get a 23 on the MCAT and your med school Average is 92% for year one & year 2 and you WILL crush boards. That's what the other person was saying and that's what actually makes logical sense. But again please be my guest to show me sources that say MCAT scores correlates more than grades in med school with board scores ;)
And yes KYCOM is an amazing school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to see your sources? I am actually in 2nd year of medical school and I will tell you it doesn't matter what your MCAT score is if you suck at micro, you will be crushed in boards. If you suck at OMT, you will be crushed in boards, etc. Does doing well on the MCAT mean you are smart & have good testing skills? Yes, I'm sure. But if you are getting Cs in med school with a 37 MCAT, don't expect to get a 700 on boards. But if you get a 23 on the MCAT and your med school Average is 92% for year one & year 2 and you WILL crush boards. That's what the other person was saying and that's what actually makes logical sense. But again please be my guest to show me sources that say MCAT scores correlates more than grades in med school with board scores ;)
And yes KYCOM is an amazing school.

My scores are fine especially in the time I got them since I just turned 22 not long ago. Got a 3.8x in undergrad finished in three years while working 3 jobs two research publications, but they weren't that hard in my opinion to be fair. Finished my masters at NC State in one year and now finishing my second masters. The first was in physiology the second nutrition. GPA grad school slowing going above 3.7 after this semester. Decided to be a doctor in April of this year, took the MCAT on the18th of April got a 505 so like 2-3 weeks of studying. It really was not being good at tests I just knew a lot and still do. I mean if I had studied for a couple months it would have easily been higher. Psychological part killed me. I don't doubt it's a good school we are purely discussing correlations.

My scores are fine especially in the time I got them since I just turned 22 not long ago. Got a 3.8x in undergrad finished in three years while working 3 jobs two research publications, but they weren't that hard in my opinion to be fair. Finished my masters at NC State in one year and now finishing my second masters. The first was in physiology the second nutrition. GPA grad school slowing going above 3.7 after this semester. Decided to be a doctor in April of this year, took the MCAT on the18th of April got a 505 so like 2-3 weeks of studying. It really was not being good at tests I just knew a lot and still do. I mean if I had studied for a couple months it would have easily been higher. Psychological part killed me. I don't doubt it's a good school we are purely discussing correlations.
That awkward moment when you realize I said I want your SOURCES not scores... But cool story bro.

Haha my bad read it while taking my nutrition test tonight lol lmfao okay I admit defeat after that mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
This might have been answered already, but how long did it take KYCOM to upload your letters once the secondary was submitted? All of my letters were submitted through AACOMAS.

This might have been answered already, but how long did it take KYCOM to upload your letters once the secondary was submitted? All of my letters were submitted through AACOMAS.
For me it took a while. I called the guy up there a whole lot. Mine was during the time they were having trouble and it took about a month, but I submitted super early so it did not matter so much, although I have not heard anything else back since. So my point is hopefully it will not take a long time since they should be on top of things by now.

For me it took a while. I called the guy up there a whole lot. Mine was during the time they were having trouble and it took about a month, but I submitted super early so it did not matter so much, although I have not heard anything else back since. So my point is hopefully it will not take a long time since they should be on top of things by now.

ok thanks! Yeah I just submitted my secondary last week so I figured it might take a little while. But, hopefully it won't take too long since they are already on AACOMAS!

Interviewed here Friday and loved it. Has anyone heard about decisions yet? I'm way too anxious. :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

I was looking for interview feedback on KYCOM but couldn't find anything. Am I correct to assume that such a page doesn't exist?

Hey guys this is one of my top choices. Could someone who has been accepted/interviewed gauge my chances?

I just got my mcat back and am submitting all secondaries in ASAP. I have a 3.55cgpa with a steep upward trend, 503 mcat, very unique work experiences (worked through undergrad, started a business) and relatively standard volunteer experiences (tutoring underprivileged, 450+ hours of physician shadowing, +/etc). I'm also from Ohio.

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!! just got the call :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted as well and got the call around the same time haha :rofl:... First time posting, but I've been a lurker for so long on SDN!

Complete 8/07. They take their time in reviewing all the applications after secondaries are submitted, and its still early. Their first interview date was 10/09.

During the third and fourth years at KYCOM, students complete clinical rotations at sites in Alabama, Arkansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

^^ Got this from their website. Are students forced to go to rotations in all these states? Got the interview, but idk about this ****.

During the third and fourth years at KYCOM, students complete clinical rotations at sites in Alabama, Arkansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

^^ Got this from their website. Are students forced to go to rotations in all these states? Got the interview, but idk about this ****.
My interpretation of this is that there are sites in those states, but you do not have to go to every single one.

No you are not forced to go to the rotations in all the states. You rank all of these places as where you would like to do your rotations and hopefully you get your top choice. As for the interview, i think you should take it. You never know, you may fall in love with the school or the community or both :happy:.

Accepted! I guess I missed the call yesterday but I had an admissions letter in my UPike portal!!!! :D

So do most students rotate outside of Kentucky? I mean I wouldn't mind going to a couple states. I guess I will figure it out at the interview!

I'm a second year at KYCOM and traditionally it's been done on a lottery system for each site. However, last year's second years "beat the lottery" by sorting it out amongst themselves so everyone go to go where they wanted. We have most of our sites in Kentucky. We are in the process of trying to do the same thing they did.

I'm a second year at KYCOM and traditionally it's been done on a lottery system for each site. However, last year's second years "beat the lottery" by sorting it out amongst themselves so everyone go to go where they wanted. We have most of our sites in Kentucky. We are in the process of trying to do the same thing they did.

So let's say you are a student set on going into EM or being an ICU doc. Would you be able to freely pick rotations in these fields? I know you only get X amount of electives so I'd like to know how feasible setting up regional or away roations would be.

Just curious, does anyone know how many interview sessions KYCOM has a month and or the acceptance nos. vs interview nos. of applicants?

Just curious, does anyone know how many interview sessions KYCOM has a month and or the acceptance nos. vs interview nos. of applicants?

I believe we hold interviews on 1 weekend a month (Friday and Saturday once a month)

Interviewing here on 10/24.. any tips? What is the interview format? Appreciate any input as this is my first interview of the cycle!

Note: I've posted a similar message on about 3 schools!

I am from a major Northeastern city, so I'm not really used to having to worry about being gay or hiding that from anyone. I'm not flamboyant or anything, I just don't like to have to think about it or step back in the closet to make other people happy. However, I'm looking at KYCOM as an option for med school and wondering if anyone has insight into what it is like for LGBT people on campus, and potentially in town (since I'll probably have to go there at some point. ;)? Also, do you think that there would be bias against me if I was open about my sexual orientation on an interview or when talking to faculty? Obviously I wouldn't bring it up out of nowhere, but I have a partner and don't intend to exclude that information if it comes up. Any help, especially from other LGBTQ people would be a major help!

Interviewing here on 10/24.. any tips? What is the interview format? Appreciate any input as this is my first interview of the cycle!

So for the interview be confident in yourself and your answers. Don't memorize just have a general idea of points you want to mention. The only thing that I saw in all the older messages was the question about why kycom and this was asked for me as well. It's very conversational and the students that you meet before hand will help ease your tensions and give you hints about the interviewer.

Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend! We can do it. :)

So let's say you are a student set on going into EM or being an ICU doc. Would you be able to freely pick rotations in these fields? I know you only get X amount of electives so I'd like to know how feasible setting up regional or away roations would be.
Yes you have a fe set core rotations and then your elective or audition rotations. The exact number/curriculum for that is online I think.

Just interviewed today..overall I had a good experience and the town of Pikeville is nice as well..Interview was definitely not stressful at all and flowed more like a conversation so need to be anxious and the currents students all had good things to say about the faculty who will be performing the interviews. Good luck!

Can anyone tell me what the link is to get to the portal page? I accidentally deleted the email containing it =/

I know it's tres, TRES late but after a lot of thought about working in a rural area + encouragement from an MD I work with (who went to school in KY and thought the DOs at this school were more prepared than her class in a lot of ways!!), I just submitted a primary here today. Stats 31/3.88cGPA/3.71sGPA/OOS, some experience with tutoring and volunteering in a rural area during undergrad... actually really excited about this school. Hoping for some fashionably-late-applicant love! Any idea on the turnaround time for secondaries from other folks?

Would love to visit school for interview. Good historic school. intrigued

How long did it take for people to get their secondaries after primary?
I sent mine in earlier this week ( i know! late! ://), and haven't received one yet. For most other schools I received it pretty quickly so just wondering how its been for other people?

I interviewed today and loved it! That was probably the most stress free interview I've been on haha.

I hope today is the day we hear back! Has anyone heard anything yet?