University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I'll try giving them a call tomorrow. Would they share this information through e-mail? I can send e-mails immediately, but I might not have time to call them until later in the day tomorrow.

You would think they would post this information in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, or on their website. I don't know why they wouldn't screen out people with stats of < 3.2 / < 498; not doing so gives people false hope / a $75 hole in their wallet, after the fact.

This is frustrating, because KYCOM is/was one of my top choices, as a TX resident applying from oos.

/endrant.

I'm in the same boat. My sGPA is under what they're looking for, but my MCAT is above, and I'm oos...and it's my one of my top choices. I bit the bullet and paid the secondary before I knew all this. I'm hoping that they really take that 'inclusive' look at applications.
Best of luck Jux.

Members don't see this ad.

This school is taking so long giving interviewee, i already have 6 medical school interviews scheduled, and I am waiting for this one, i am running out of money! ugh

Reactions: 1 user
Wait. So I got a 24 on the old MCAT, but a 497 :uhno: on the new one. Should...should I even bother to drop the $75 on the secondary app?
I would say to contact Ronnie about that. They might take the higher of the two and sneak you through!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. My sGPA is under what they're looking for, but my MCAT is above, and I'm oos...and it's my one of my top choices. I bit the bullet and paid the secondary before I knew all this. I'm hoping that they really take that 'inclusive' look at applications.
Best of luck Jux.

Thanks! Best of luck to you too! Hopefully they respond to e-mails today, so I don't have to wait a whole weekend for a reply.

This school is taking so long giving interviewee, i already have 6 medical school interviews scheduled, and I am waiting for this one, i am running out of money! ugh

That humblebrag, tho. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
That humblebrag, tho. :laugh:

I didnt mean to brag, but I am honestly broke already. I really like this school, and have been complete for a month, and really want to interview! I do not want to interview in November anywhere, because I want a decision by then!

I didnt mean to brag, but I am honestly broke already. I really like this school, and have been complete for a month, and really want to interview! I do not want to interview in November anywhere, because I want a decision by then!

Haha, was just kidding around. Where all have you gotten interviews?

Broke and in the same situation. I have a friend at KYCOM and was excited about it, but will probably have decided by the time November rolls around.

Haha, was just kidding around. Where all have you gotten interviews?

hhahah i hear you. I have interviewed already at NYIT-COM. I have an interview at LECOM-Seton Hill and ACOM next week, CUSOM the week after, then LECOM- Bradenton campus the week after and BCOM, the week after. I really liked this school, but they are taking too long to get the interview process!

Broke and in the same situation. I have a friend at KYCOM and was excited about it, but will probably have decided by the time November rolls around.

I know this school is taking so long, was the first complete school for me, and havent even given any interviews out, what gives. I need this process to end by Thanksgiving the latest!

hhahah i hear you. I have interviewed already at NYIT-COM. I have an interview at LECOM-Seton Hill and ACOM next week, CUSOM the week after, then LECOM- Bradenton campus the week after and BCOM, the week after. I really liked this school, but they are taking too long to get the interview process!

You must have quite the budget to be flying around like that. Ronnie finished my app 1 week ago. I haven't back so the wait continues...

Members don't see this ad :)
II!!! The low tuition and KYCOM advantage make this hard to ignore even against "more established" schools. Can anyone offer insight on interview day?

II!!! The low tuition and KYCOM advantage make this hard to ignore even against "more established" schools. Can anyone offer insight on interview day?

What is the "KYCOM advantage"?

What is the "KYCOM advantage"?
They give you an ipad, computer, OMT table, all of your medical equipment, all of your books, memberships to AOA and things like that for "free" with the already low tuition.

Their dean is also the President Elect of the AOA last time I checked too, really great guy.

Ya come in they sit ya down and talk to you and students are there the answer your questions. Just an FYI the students have 0 say in admissions decisions so feel free to ask them anything you want.
You go on a tour and they pull you out one by one for interviews. They're 2 on 1 open file. If there are any weaknesses on your application they will ask, be prepared. Most interviews are pretty laid back and conversational.
They give you an ipad, computer, OMT table, all of your medical equipment, all of your books, memberships to AOA and things like that for "free" with the already low tuition.

Their dean is also the President Elect of the AOA last time I checked too, really great guy.
Yep you're correct about all that. That + tuition + housing in walking distance made me choose KYCOM over LMU-DCOM.

The books are on iPad though which I hate. Just throwing that out there.

Yeah, I'll try giving them a call tomorrow. Would they share this information through e-mail? I can send e-mails immediately, but I might not have time to call them until later in the day tomorrow.

You would think they would post this information in the Osteopathic Medical College Information Book, or on their website. I don't know why they wouldn't screen out people with stats of < 3.2 / < 498; not doing so gives people false hope / a $75 hole in their wallet, after the fact.

This is frustrating, because KYCOM is/was one of my top choices, as a TX resident applying from oos.

/endrant.

Is there any update on this? I tried calling Ronnie two days in a row to get an answer on this issue. My MCAT is also 497 but have a competitive app otherwise.

Thanks

Is there any update on this? I tried calling Ronnie two days in a row to get an answer on this issue. My MCAT is also 497 but have a competitive app otherwise.

Thanks

Nope, he hasn't e-mailed me back. I'm considering e-mailing him again. You couldn't reach him by phone for two straight days, though? I guess he must be swamped with other stuff.

I mean, I'm basically done with the secondary - just don't wanna hit submit unless my application, for sure, will be looked at. And not just thrown away once they get my $75 lol.

Nope, he hasn't e-mailed me back. I'm considering e-mailing him again. You couldn't reach him by phone for two straight days, though? I guess he must be swamped with other stuff.

I mean, I'm basically done with the secondary - just don't wanna hit submit unless my application, for sure, will be looked at. And not just thrown away once they get my $75 lol.

Exact same boat here. My essays are done and ready to go just need to know they'll look at me with a 497 mcat. Extremely competitive otherwise. Not sure if there is any other way to get that information. Nothing worse than donating 75 bucks and getting an immediate rejection.. I just tried calling him again this morning and it rang through to voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that it helps with the situation exactly, but I sent a pair of emails about a month ago, then called about two weeks ago and left a voicemail. Had a technical issue with the secondary. Still no response... I also called late July and had a response that afternoon. Must be really busy over there.

Hey! Does anyone know what time the Saturday interviews usually finish?

Hey! Does anyone know what time the Saturday interviews usually finish?
It really depends on what time group you get in. Some people interview first and some people get a your first. If you interview first your done a little faster.
At the absolute latest you'll be done by 12, but I was in the first group and was there for a total of 2 hours.

Interviewing on 10/10. Driving from Michigan, if anyone needs a ride on the way PM me.

Exact same boat here. My essays are done and ready to go just need to know they'll look at me with a 497 mcat. Extremely competitive otherwise. Not sure if there is any other way to get that information. Nothing worse than donating 75 bucks and getting an immediate rejection.. I just tried calling him again this morning and it rang through to voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you try again this morning? (You're my guinea pig for this, haha)

What you guys think... 496 mcat with a 3.4cgpa with lots of clinical shadowing/interning... Apply here?

Just got offered an interview this morning! I'm excited to see the school =)
The only interview dates showing up are this weekend. Are the dates assigned, or will more open up after this week?

Complete 9/14.. any ideas on when I would hear about an II? And do they let you know if they are not going to give you an II? thanks

The only interview dates showing up are this weekend. Are the dates assigned, or will more open up after this week?

I'm in the same boat! Scrambling to find out how I can get there by this weekend. Does anyone know if more dates open up, or if you are essentially assigned dates (only two are available).

This is the first round of interview. There are other days but I remember I was only offered one weekend last time. They'd probably offer other days if you gave them a call.
Complete 9/14.. any ideas on when I would hear about an II? And do they let you know if they are not going to give you an II? thanks
As Goro says: patience.

ii invite today.
Can't decide if I should take it or not. I already have 2 acceptances and should hear back Thursday/Friday about a third acceptance.
I like the low tuition, I like that it is associated with a large campus, but that's about all I know. I actually forgot that I had applied. Guess I will do some research and find out.

I just emailed Ronnie about 30 min ago. He didn't respond yet, but I just checked the portal and the Saturday date had been moved to the 24th. It's just much easier to plan a few weeks in advance.

ii invite today.
Can't decide if I should take it or not. I already have 2 acceptances and should hear back Thursday/Friday about a third acceptance.
I like the low tuition, I like that it is associated with a large campus, but that's about all I know. I actually forgot that I had applied. Guess I will do some research and find out.
It's definitely associated with a small campus.
Honestly if you're happy with the acceptances you have I wouldn't go.
I do love it here, but if you've found somewhere you can see yourself you've already been accepted I wouldn't waster any more money on interviews.

Hey everyone! I am interviewing on the 24th of this month. I was wondering if anyone one wants to meet up on Friday? Also is anyone flying there? If you are, I am having a hard time finding cheap flights. Is the closet airport LEX(lexington, KY)?

Hey everyone! I am interviewing on the 24th of this month. I was wondering if anyone one wants to meet up on Friday? Also is anyone flying there? If you are, I am having a hard time finding cheap flights. Is the closet airport LEX(lexington, KY)?

Check Charleston WV. It's actually slightly closer than lex and cheaper!

If you've read through this thread, you'd see that they lost an admissions coordinator, and only one man, Ronnie, is currently handling ALL the applications.
I'm with you, I applied early and am still waiting. We'll get our answers soon!
I did read through it and obviously know the Ronnie guy, but that is no excuse when you pay this much money to have someone read a piece of paper. Imagine a doctor taking this long to get back to a patient... needless to say he would not be a doctor very long.

I did read through it and obviously know the Ronnie guy, but that is no excuse when you pay this much money to have someone read a piece of paper. Imagine a doctor taking this long to get back to a patient... needless to say he would not be a doctor very long.
I actually give Ronnie props for sticking in there. It's not his fault, and the fact that a lot of people are still waiting means that there is a lot of care put into the process. I'd much rather have it this way, than a program created to deny everyone without specific stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait. So I got a 24 on the old MCAT, but a 497 :uhno: on the new one. Should...should I even bother to drop the $75 on the secondary app?
I actually fall on the same boat you are in since I have a 25 on the old exam and 497 on the new one. I spoke to admissions about it and was told that they take the higher of the two as long as the MCAT scores are about a year or two old. (I think it was a year but you should double check). I was told that my 25 can be used to get over the screening since I took it last summer.

I actually give Ronnie props for sticking in there. It's not his fault, and the fact that a lot of people are still waiting means that there is a lot of care put into the process. I'd much rather have it this way, than a program created to deny everyone without specific stats.
I mean I feel you on that one but the reality is stats do matter a high GPA and reasonable MCAT is super important to pass the boards and do well in the classes in med school. So there is that. If you don't want a competitive residency then barely passing the boards is fine and stats are not as important, but that limits your options to basically family practice.

ii invite today.
I wouldn't listen to what this other person says. I am a second year here and I wouldn't have chosen any other school. My friend is from out of state 14 hours away and she was accepted to other schools too, but she loved KYCOM so much when she came that she chose our school. I think you're doing the right thing in doing research to find out what's the best fit for you.

ii invite today.

I think you should come see what KYCOM is all about, our dean is the current presidential elect for the AOA & will be signing your recommendation letter for residencies. We have KYCOM advantage (books, latest iPad, laptop, medical equipment all included, etc), we have the best OMT teacher, she is currently the president for the OMT national committee. We also have a free parking garage lol. It's the little things that count. Our building is also very new! Anatomy lab is nice, OMT lab is the best I seen hands down, our SP exam rooms are a copy & paste of the level 2 CE you will have to take. I can go on for days about KYCOM. I will tell you I didn't feel at home anywhere else, but when I came to interview here. I'd take the chance and come check it out for yourself.

I mean I feel you on that one but the reality is stats do matter a high GPA and reasonable MCAT is super important to pass the boards and do well in the classes in med school. So there is that. If you don't want a competitive residency then barely passing the boards is fine and stats are not as important, but that limits your options to basically family practice.
MCAT score and undergrad GPA actually has a very low correlation with board scores. Certain classes in medical school have very high correlations. I have used absolutely nothing from my MCAT and only some of my undergrad background in classes so far and I'm a second year. Yes it always helps to see something for the second time and not the first, but we have many people who have never even taken anatomy or biochem and do very well. It's all up to what you do in medical school. Everything before that doesn't really matter. It only matters as far as getting you into med school.

MCAT score and undergrad GPA actually has a very low correlation with board scores. Certain classes in medical school have very high correlations. I have used absolutely nothing from my MCAT and only some of my undergrad background in classes so far and I'm a second year. Yes it always helps to see something for the second time and not the first, but we have many people who have never even taken anatomy or biochem and do very well. It's all up to what you do in medical school. Everything before that doesn't really matter. It only matters as far as getting you into med school.

You really think? If you score low on your MCAT it's probably due to lack of testing abilities since the material is much easier than med school and you should have learned it in college. Plus years of data predicts better MCATS better boards but hey data doesn't matter right. ;) I mean I by no means blew it out of the water but I studied three weeks and was better than average easily. I want to go into neurology and I for a fact know the boards matter most of all especially when I'll be a DO versus a lot of MD's which still get a little preference. But good luck to you guys anyways regardless of what you believe or your opinion is. We will all be doctors one day. KYCOM must be a decent school. The guy at BCOM told me he helped get it going.