University of Toledo 2014-2015 MSBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceman08

Ohio against the world
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it might be a little early, but anyone else planning to apply? Is this a first choice for any of you?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to apply but I know they're not rolling admissions, so I'm taking my time with the application.

Anyone have any idea how many applicants they had last year? I know they had 54 acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea how many applicants they had last year? I know they had 54 acceptances
I am in the program now and I do not even know how many people applied last year. Let me know if you have any other questions about the program though!

I'm planning to apply but I know they're not rolling admissions, so I'm taking my time with the application.
I saw this too, but I'm unsure of what exactly "not rolling admissions" means - they'll still probably be reviewing apps in the order that they receive them, right? Or does it just mean that time of submission is not a factor like it is for regular med school apps?

I saw this too, but I'm unsure of what exactly "not rolling admissions" means - they'll still probably be reviewing apps in the order that they receive them, right? Or does it just mean that time of submission is not a factor like it is for regular med school apps?
I did not send in my app until the day before the deadline and got accepted in the first round of applicants. Not rolling admissions means that as long as you turn it in by the deadline you are golden, you do not get preference by submitting it really early.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the lowest GPA and MCAT among the people who were accepted?

I currently have a 3.35 GPA, I kinda slacked off in the beginning of college but got my head together recently and will finish with an upward trend my last 4 semesters (all Dean's List).

I have 2+ years of Cancer related research, many leadership roles outside of school, pretty involved with clubs inside school, and have 100+ volunteer hours.

I'm going to take my MCAT for the first time in a month, what score do you currently enrolled students think I would need to get in?

I currently have a 3.35 GPA, I kinda slacked off in the beginning of college but got my head together recently and will finish with an upward trend my last 4 semesters (all Dean's List).

I have 2+ years of Cancer related research, many leadership roles outside of school, pretty involved with clubs inside school, and have 100+ volunteer hours.

I'm going to take my MCAT for the first time in a month, what score do you currently enrolled students think I would need to get in?

So from what I know many people sat around a 3.3 but there are lower GPAs and some very high GPAs also in my class (I would say ranging from a ~2.8-4.0). The MCAT score that seemed most common was a 28-29. There were students below those and far above those. I know it will be difficult to gain admission with below a 3.0 (BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE!!!) and I have never heard of an MCAT below a 25 getting in, but that doesnt mean it couldnt happen(?). So in your application essay you should talk about why you are a good candidate and it is very important! Many of the students gaining admission that may have less than desirable stats are those with very serious and legitimate reasons to have performed poorly at some point in their academic career so I would think very carefully about how you write your essay. Some students are also simply those that are nontraditional (chose to work for a little while after undergrad and are coming back to what they really wanted to do). Just keep working hard to do well on your MCAT and write a damn good essay and it sound like you will fit pretty nicely into the criteria for the program. Good Luck! Let me know if you have other questions!

Does anyone have an idea as to when Toledo starts sending decisions out?

I am a current student and I was accepted during the second round of applications. From what I was told, they do consider minority status and gender like medical school so this is factored in. I had a pretty average GPA and below average MCAT. I would highly suggest this program for anyone who wants the opportunity to show how well you can do academically. I am not going to lie, it feels pretty amazing to study for hours and destroy the exams, including the class average. It is not a perfect program but I am very thankful so far. If you want to know even more specific details you can send me a private message and I have no problem explaining all the bare details, but I will check out more broad questions throughout the spring and early summer.

I am a current student and I was accepted during the second round of applications. From what I was told, they do consider minority status and gender like medical school so this is factored in. I had a pretty average GPA and below average MCAT. I would highly suggest this program for anyone who wants the opportunity to show how well you can do academically. I am not going to lie, it feels pretty amazing to study for hours and destroy the exams, including the class average. It is not a perfect program but I am very thankful so far. If you want to know even more specific details you can send me a private message and I have no problem explaining all the bare details, but I will check out more broad questions throughout the spring and early summer.

how many students from the MSBS ends up at the medical school the next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
how many students from the MSBS ends up at the medical school the next year?

They say 65% historically, but last year it was near 80%.

Like ChuckYolo1 said....it is so awesome to be able to go in and prove yourself in a setting that really matters. I was a very good student toward the end of my undergraduate years but wasnt able to get my GPA where it needed to be, but when I took the MCAT, I did very well. Even with my MCAT I felt I needed to do a program like this one, and being from Toledo, it was the perfect fit. There are few programs with as much guarantee as this one. I have friends doing a post bacc at Erie and the school gave away seats it promised to post bacc students. So if you want some advice I was a below average GPA, above average MCAT and still managed to come into this program and destroy exam after exam with confidence.

Like ChuckYolo1 said....it is so awesome to be able to go in and prove yourself in a setting that really matters. I was a very good student toward the end of my undergraduate years but wasnt able to get my GPA where it needed to be, but when I took the MCAT, I did very well. Even with my MCAT I felt I needed to do a program like this one, and being from Toledo, it was the perfect fit. There are few programs with as much guarantee as this one. I have friends doing a post bacc at Erie and the school gave away seats it promised to post bacc students. So if you want some advice I was a below average GPA, above average MCAT and still managed to come into this program and destroy exam after exam with confidence.

thank you very much for the info.

i am looking for the exact situation. a place to prove myself. I had some unfortunate circumstance during my 3rd year that ruined my GPA and made me fall of the wagon. I still managed to pull off a 3.5 but a subpar MCAT (less than 30). I am trying to get back on the wagon and get to medical school. I need a post-bac like this.
Any tips on the application?

thank you very much for the info.

i am looking for the exact situation. a place to prove myself. I had some unfortunate circumstance during my 3rd year that ruined my GPA and made me fall of the wagon. I still managed to pull off a 3.5 but a subpar MCAT (less than 30). I am trying to get back on the wagon and get to medical school. I need a post-bac like this.
Any tips on the application?

With the application I would make sure you have at least one very strong letter of recommendation and a very well written essay. I went to UofM and had a professor from the departments of each of my majors write me a letter and these were both strong relationships and I had a third not so strong one. I also had another from a graduate student I researched with at UT as well because having someone on the campus on your side never hurts (at least that's what CBC told me last year). Also I think a strong personal statement wouldn't be a bad idea. I had numerous people read my statement over including my professor who wrote my LOR. I didn't want to sound like I wanted pity but more so that I overcame certain obstacles and am better for it. I don't know your exact stats but I would work on these for now because they are something you can work on and make better for your application where your stats are going to for the most part be maintained.

Does anyone know if GRE are acceptable or does it have to be MCAT?

Was it really near 80% last year? Can any current students comment on the program? 65% is a similar acceptance rate (to med school) to Rosalind Franklin BMS, and students in that program say, pretty much, all B's with no C's is an acceptance into the med school

Was it really near 80% last year? Can any current students comment on the program? 65% is a similar acceptance rate (to med school) to Rosalind Franklin BMS, and students in that program say, pretty much, all B's with no C's is an acceptance into the med school

It was around 80% and I believe that includes some that got in off of the waitlist. Also, I would not go into a program aiming for all B's since there is nothing that says they need to take any given %.

D
It was around 80% and I believe that includes some that got in off of the waitlist. Also, I would not go into a program aiming for all B's since there is nothing that says they need to take any given %.

Definitely, I don't really need GPA repair, rather I'm looking for an SMP as an edge, so I'm looking for the one that most closely guarantees admissions = High Linkage rate, and if your curved against medical students, in can be unrealistic to think everyone in the SMP will be at the top of the class getting A's

What did you guys write about in your PS and how long was it :]?

What did you guys write about in your PS and how long was it :]?
I wrote my personal statement for my AMCAS application and kind of just adjusted it for the program. I added why I thought the program was a good fit for for me and how this program could help me succeed in becoming a physician. I think it was about 2 pages...

where do you send your LORs?
If you haven't found it yet (sorry I didn't see this sooner) I would just call Katie Secory and ask. She handles most of the MSBS stuff and would know exactly where to send it. I feel like I had mine sent to the College of Graduate Studies though. The address should be in the website.

Has anyone checked their application status since the deadline? I submitted most of my stuff in the last week, and it says only my application fee has been received. Is this the case for anyone else?

Has anyone checked their application status since the deadline? I submitted most of my stuff in the last week, and it says only my application fee has been received. Is this the case for anyone else?
Isn't the deadline today?
Does anyone know if they will look at your app if a transcript arrives after the deadline?

Cody (who runs the program I guess) told me the department gives some additional time for receiving documents because the office has a 3-5 day window to process stuff. Not sure how many extra days that gives you, but I'm sure if you email him, he can give you a more concrete number. Hope that helps.

Isn't the deadline today?
Does anyone know if they will look at your app if a transcript arrives after the deadline?
My resume was technically late last year and I got in first round (app said it was optional last year...it wasn't)...if Cody said you're fine then you're ok :)

mwand, do you recall how long it took for them to notify you that you're app was complete?

i was never notified of a complete app.

i logged in to check status and it said completed

@mwand552 are you currently in the program? mind sharing your experience and if you were able to gain admission into Toledo Medical school?

My resume was technically late last year and I got in first round (app said it was optional last year...it wasn't)...if Cody said you're fine then you're ok :)
They did not list a resume as a requirement in this year's program description either. I uploaded a CV, but I only listed the duration of my volunteering, not the hours or a description of what I did. I hope that will be okay.

@QnnaQ thats what I meant. Any idea how long it took them to change your status to 'complete' once you submitted everything?

mwand, do you recall how long it took for them to notify you that you're app was complete?
I don't think they will notify you for that I only got a notification when they needed my resume...and I had to keep checking my app status to find out I got in which the first round should be around the end of the first week or second week of June.

i was never notified of a complete app.

i logged in to check status and it said completed

@mwand552 are you currently in the program? mind sharing your experience and if you were able to gain admission into Toledo Medical school?
We actually do not get our acceptances or wait list notifications until June 10...so ask me then! But yes, I am a student right now in the msbs program. The program can seem a little disorganized at times, but it really is a godsend. I had a low GPA coming out of UofM and a reasonable MCAT and I was able to gain admission and prove myself against real medical students and you would be hard pressed to find that in another program. They really want you to succeed, before our interviews one of the current deans made sure we knew that they already liked us and wanted us here so try not to be so nervous for your interviews and that they were rooting for us all. It is a complete change from undergrad. Overall, I am very confident in my odds of getting in, but I'll let you know in a few weeks! Honestly, I would recommend this program to just about anyone! I also have a wonderful mentor from the program with whom I am researching in orthopedic surgery and we have established a good relationship. he wants to help me not only with finishing my masters, but later in trying to become a surgeon and that's a great feeling! Good Luck to all of you...let me know if there are any more questions! Keep checking your email and don't lose hope there was someone who got in the week before classes started!

This has been a very helpful thread. I finally got the confirmation that my materials were received today.

Best of luck to everyone!

anybody hear anything yet?

anybody know how many MSBS students got into Toledo this year?

We actually do not get our acceptances or wait list notifications until June 10...so ask me then! But yes, I am a student right now in the msbs program. The program can seem a little disorganized at times, but it really is a godsend. I had a low GPA coming out of UofM and a reasonable MCAT and I was able to gain admission and prove myself against real medical students and you would be hard pressed to find that in another program. They really want you to succeed, before our interviews one of the current deans made sure we knew that they already liked us and wanted us here so try not to be so nervous for your interviews and that they were rooting for us all. It is a complete change from undergrad. Overall, I am very confident in my odds of getting in, but I'll let you know in a few weeks! Honestly, I would recommend this program to just about anyone! I also have a wonderful mentor from the program with whom I am researching in orthopedic surgery and we have established a good relationship. he wants to help me not only with finishing my masters, but later in trying to become a surgeon and that's a great feeling! Good Luck to all of you...let me know if there are any more questions! Keep checking your email and don't lose hope there was someone who got in the week before classes started!

hi i was wondering you can share with us the success of this years MSBS students

You're not the only one, I assure you haha. Gotta be today or tomorrow, right?

You're not the only one, I assure you haha. Gotta be today or tomorrow, right?
Definitely has to be, the last two years they've made decisions on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. The bulk being Thursday. At least that's what I've gathered from reading previous msbs threads.

I think it DOES change year to year based on what I have heard. You people have made me anxious though, I better hear something by tomorrow :nailbiting:

Haha no reason to be anxious, but playing the waiting game is no fun...

Hahaha, nothing like SDN to truly freak you out unnecessarily. Best of luck to all!

So I cannot say the exact number of students that got in for sure yet (mostly because they have taken a few off the waiting list already since Wednesday, but also because no one has given us a number), but there was definitely a good portion of us celebrating Wednesday night. They probably are still working on adding a few more to the accepted list from our class before moving on to the new MSBS class, so this year was later than the last few in letting current MSBS students know their fate so that is probably why you guys are going to have to wait a little longer. All of the same people are working on getting us in and situated (which just happened Wednesday) before they jump into getting new MSBS-MS students. I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I know that I found out last year I think it would have been the beginning of this week, but the MSBS students before me found out they got into medical school around the last week of May I believe. So just keep checking, they should be coming any time now! Goodluck to everyone, this really was one of the best years I have had and it paid off for me!

So I cannot say the exact number of students that got in for sure yet (mostly because they have taken a few off the waiting list already since Wednesday, but also because no one has given us a number), but there was definitely a good portion of us celebrating Wednesday night. They probably are still working on adding a few more to the accepted list from our class before moving on to the new MSBS class, so this year was later than the last few in letting current MSBS students know their fate so that is probably why you guys are going to have to wait a little longer. All of the same people are working on getting us in and situated (which just happened Wednesday) before they jump into getting new MSBS-MS students. I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I know that I found out last year I think it would have been the beginning of this week, but the MSBS students before me found out they got into medical school around the last week of May I believe. So just keep checking, they should be coming any time now! Goodluck to everyone, this really was one of the best years I have had and it paid off for me!

Congrats! That's good to hear that this program is a success for many people

The application for 2012 closed May 1, but this year's closed May 15, so I'm expecting 2 more weeks.