University of Toledo 2014-2015 MSBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I cannot say the exact number of students that got in for sure yet (mostly because they have taken a few off the waiting list already since Wednesday, but also because no one has given us a number), but there was definitely a good portion of us celebrating Wednesday night. They probably are still working on adding a few more to the accepted list from our class before moving on to the new MSBS class, so this year was later than the last few in letting current MSBS students know their fate so that is probably why you guys are going to have to wait a little longer. All of the same people are working on getting us in and situated (which just happened Wednesday) before they jump into getting new MSBS-MS students. I know that is probably not what you wanted to hear, but I know that I found out last year I think it would have been the beginning of this week, but the MSBS students before me found out they got into medical school around the last week of May I believe. So just keep checking, they should be coming any time now! Goodluck to everyone, this really was one of the best years I have had and it paid off for me!

Congrats mwand, get off SDN and go celebrate!!

The application for 2012 closed May 1, but this year's closed May 15, so I'm expecting 2 more weeks.

Eh idk, mwand mentioned he heard around this time last year, and their app closed May 15. I would think it would be tomorrow but I thought we'd hear last week so who knows

Members don't see this ad.

The application for 2012 closed May 1, but this year's closed May 15, so I'm expecting 2 more weeks.
Last year apps closed I think May 14th and we found out this week [I know this because I told a professor from undergrad that I got into this Masters program and that I got into medical school on the same day (her birthday) which was Wednesday.]

Congrats mwand, get off SDN and go celebrate!!

Haha thanks, I am actually doing my research project right now and since I am so excited I definitely am full of procrastination, like looking at apartments and talking to you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe there were some who found very late in summer last year as well? Even a few in July from my understanding?

I just hope to hear back early.

@mwand552 from your posting sounds like the MSBS program has a good relationship with the medical school admission committee and MSBS people real work hard to help and communicate with their students. is this true?

and thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences with the program

We actually do not get our acceptances or wait list notifications until June 10...so ask me then! But yes, I am a student right now in the msbs program. The program can seem a little disorganized at times, but it really is a godsend. I had a low GPA coming out of UofM and a reasonable MCAT and I was able to gain admission and prove myself against real medical students and you would be hard pressed to find that in another program. They really want you to succeed, before our interviews one of the current deans made sure we knew that they already liked us and wanted us here so try not to be so nervous for your interviews and that they were rooting for us all. It is a complete change from undergrad. Overall, I am very confident in my odds of getting in, but I'll let you know in a few weeks! Honestly, I would recommend this program to just about anyone! I also have a wonderful mentor from the program with whom I am researching in orthopedic surgery and we have established a good relationship. he wants to help me not only with finishing my masters, but later in trying to become a surgeon and that's a great feeling! Good Luck to all of you...let me know if there are any more questions! Keep checking your email and don't lose hope there was someone who got in the week before classes started!

@mwand552
Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I graduated from UofM as well, so GO BLUE, my fellow Wolverine!! :D And Congratulations on your admission!!

I applied and completed my application early February and nervously/hopefully waiting on an acceptance response. I've read that we don't need to buy any books to prepare, so what wld you advise on how we should prepare for the program/classes in advance?

What are the best neighborhoods/apartments you would advise students to find the cheapest rent for high quality housing?

do you think its possible to work during the program?

on a scale of 1(easy) to 10(hard), how challenging is the material/work? its is doable? does the program have tutoring available if students want extra attention on a subject/class?

what advice can you give applicants to guarantee their own success in the program and ultimately entering into UTCOM medical school? what would I need to do before and during the program to get accepted into the UTCOM medical school?

can we claim in-state tuition before or immediately after the MSBS program to get lower tuition?

besides loans, do you know if the program offers grants and scholarships to pay for the program?

I know I have a lot of questions here, but I would be very grateful for you taking the time out to share your response, advice, and experiences. Thank you!!! X-)

Last edited:
@mwand552 from your posting sounds like the MSBS program has a good relationship with the medical school admission committee and MSBS people real work hard to help and communicate with their students. is this true?

and thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences with the program

Oh it is no problem... Im going to be a tutor for next year so I like reaching out and being available to help! MSBS is in a pretty good relationship with admissions, I met some of the people in the office pretty early on through volunteering at a few events they put on so that helped me. Most of the time, you really dont deal with them too much aside from them telling you to turn specific things in at a certain time. Most of the year you talk to Katie Secory or Dr. CBC. The medical students actually work really well and want the MSBS students to succeed. You become good friends with them because your first class as an MSBS student is a medical school class with them. When we found out we got in, we were accompanied by many of the M1s we took classes with while we celebrated, so that relationship is also really beneficial. But they all are always willing to answer any questions you may have, definitely Katie or CBC, but I have also asked Chris Wile in admissions a few questions and also Dr. Mohamed is brilliant. Everyone wants you there and they want you to succeed and will help in pretty much any way they can.

My GF is a medical school student at U Toledo and am an applicant to this program so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

How we should prepare for the program/classes in advance? Try to enjoy your summer as best as possible. The program is going to be a lot of work.

What are the best neighborhoods/apartments you would advise students to find the cheapest rent for high quality housing? Fox Chase and Quail Hollow are nice and not horribly expensive. Chelsea Place is crazy nice and very pricey. Those are the ones that I have been to personally.

do you think its possible to work during the program? Anything is possible but I don't its recommended in any way.

what advice can you give applicants to guarantee their own success in the program and ultimately entering into UTCOM medical school? what would I need to do before and during the program to get accepted into the UTCOM medical school? Work REALLY hard to get Honors in your classes. The benefit of the program seems to be that you get to go head-to-head with the med students.

can we claim in-state tuition before or immediately after the MSBS program to get lower tuition? After 1 year supporting yourself in the state of Ohio you can apply for residency status and thus in-state tuition.

on a scale of 1(easy) to 10(hard), how challenging is the material/work? its is doable? does the program have tutoring available if students want extra attention on a subject/class? There are student tutors. There is lots of work. Roughly 6 hours a day on average is what my GF was doing for the same classes as a med student. I'd venture that MSBS should be putting in at least that much. Maybe more since we aren't guaranteed our spots.

besides loans, do you know if the program offers grants and scholarships to pay for the program? No clue but if you Honors all of your classes you get a $1000 scholarship (At least after your M1 year).

@Dude101589 Thank you for your response that was helpful! When did you get your acceptance?

Oh it is no problem... Im going to be a tutor for next year so I like reaching out and being available to help! MSBS is in a pretty good relationship with admissions, I met some of the people in the office pretty early on through volunteering at a few events they put on so that helped me. Most of the time, you really dont deal with them too much aside from them telling you to turn specific things in at a certain time. Most of the year you talk to Katie Secory or Dr. CBC. The medical students actually work really well and want the MSBS students to succeed. You become good friends with them because your first class as an MSBS student is a medical school class with them. When we found out we got in, we were accompanied by many of the M1s we took classes with while we celebrated, so that relationship is also really beneficial. But they all are always willing to answer any questions you may have, definitely Katie or CBC, but I have also asked Chris Wile in admissions a few questions and also Dr. Mohamed is brilliant. Everyone wants you there and they want you to succeed and will help in pretty much any way they can.

Hi @mwand552, will you respond to my post above. I don't think I tagged it correctly when I posted my comment. Thank you!

Thank you mwand552 for sharing your recent experience. I graduated from UofM as well, so GO BLUE, my fellow Wolverine!! :D And Congratulations on your admission!!

I applied and completed my application early February and nervously/hopefully waiting on an acceptance response. I've read that we don't need to buy any books to prepare, so what wld you advise on how we should prepare for the program/classes in advance?

What are the best neighborhoods/apartments you would advise students to find the cheapest rent for high quality housing?

do you think its possible to work during the program?

on a scale of 1(easy) to 10(hard), how challenging is the material/work? its is doable? does the program have tutoring available if students want extra attention on a subject/class?

what advice can you give applicants to guarantee their own success in the program and ultimately entering into UTCOM medical school? what would I need to do before and during the program to get accepted into the UTCOM medical school?

can we claim in-state tuition before or immediately after the MSBS program to get lower tuition?

besides loans, do you know if the program offers grants and scholarships to pay for the program?

I know I have a lot of questions here, but I would be very grateful for you taking the time out to share your response, advice, and experiences. Thank you!!! X-)

There really isnt much you can do to prepare ahead of time. Really taking as much of a break as possible before you start is probably your best bet. Most people will never have experienced anything like medical school coursework before (in that the sheer amount you have to know is incredible) and I dont think you can understand how much youll appreciate that you relaxed over your break! Thats what they told us last year too when we were all asking the same thing. Definitely dont buy books, the notes they give you are very nice and are more than adequate to help you, if you need extra materials the AEC (academic enrichment center) has some books or you can always talk to a tutor (yes there are study groups for your medical school classes!).

Best neighborhoods would be probably in Maumee, Holland, Sylvania (more $), Perrysburg (more $), but if you want close to campus I would look at places off of Heatherdowns or Glendale (probably avoiding the apartments close to the school, not that the school is in a bad neighborhood).

I dont think anyone worked during the program. You should definitely not work during your medical school classes, but you could probably work during your grad classes in the winter if you really needed to, but many students are looking to start their research or volunteering in their extra time at that point.

It really depends on the class. Biochem and Neuro obviously were the hardest (they are your medical school classes, I was a Neuro major at UM and still thought neuro was difficult). I would say difficulty is 8+, but in saying that it IS definitely doable, I managed As in both, so if you work hard you can definitely manage high passes (80% +). There is tutoring and study groups. They have both types, you would probably try group study first and then move on to more private tutoring if you needed more help. There isnt really the same help for the grad classes, but I am sure if you needed help the AEC would help you figure something out.

Advice: I would say, first and foremost, at least high pass (80-90%) your medical school classes (not a necessity, but will definitely make your year easier). Doing well in Biochemistry at the beginning will kind of set the pace for the rest of the year it is the MOST credits and doing well in it will make it not so bad if you get less than desirable marks later, but doing bad in it means extra classes. Biochem is 12 credits I believe where neuro (the second highest number of credits) is only 6. Do the math. Aside from get good grades, I volunteered at my old high school tutoring a lot during my grad classes (~4 days a week) and that helped me get another letter for my admission packet which is always helpful. Although Dr Mohamed (Dean of UTCOM) told me last year that volunteering is the least important when you compare it to grades and research. If you can manage volunteering, do it, but dont stress about it you DO NOT need to be perfect! Try study groups see if they work, I loved them. Meet as many people as you can, I met important people early while volunteering and they gave me good advice.

I am from Ohio/Toledo, so I am really not the person to ask about residency changes and tuition. From what I hear, it is fairly easy to do for Ohio/UTCOM.

You get normal financial aid, but thats about it. They will give you enough to live and to cover your entire tuition though.

hello,

thank you everyone for your replies. i have applied for the program and waiting for UTs decision.

Can someone please breakdown the cost of the program, which would not include living expenses? Is the $25,300 listed on the program brochure accurate? Also if you have any tips for getting additional gift financial aid from UT, scholarships or grants, can you please list them? As well any cost saving measures you can think of.

thank you everyone for your time and consideration in answering our questions.

hello,

thank you everyone for your replies. i have applied for the program and waiting for UTs decision.

Can someone please breakdown the cost of the program, which would not include living expenses? Is the $25,300 listed on the program brochure accurate? Also if you have any tips for getting additional gift financial aid from UT, scholarships or grants, can you please list them? As well any cost saving measures you can think of.

thank you everyone for your time and consideration in answering our questions.

So as far as tuition that number accurate for at least what i had to pay last year. However, that is not all the charges you have to pay. If you include insurance it ends up being more. How much more depends on your insurance choices for instance. They make sure you have enough loans to live though. There really are no scholarships or grants for MSBS as far as I know, if you get into medical school and thereafter you may have more options for that stuff from what I know. I wish I could help you more, but I dont know much about how the money stuff works.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as far as tuition that number accurate for at least what i had to pay last year. However, that is not all the charges you have to pay. If you include insurance it ends up being more. How much more depends on your insurance choices for instance. They make sure you have enough loans to live though. There really are no scholarships or grants for MSBS as far as I know, if you get into medical school and thereafter you may have more options for that stuff from what I know. I wish I could help you more, but I dont know much about how the money stuff works.

thanks for your reply. just trying to gauge how to appropriate my funds in preparation.
they just sent out first round of acceptances. this is my first choice for a graduate program and hopefully will be attending it this fall.

Talking to someone who knows those on the admissions committee at ut and the admissions committee was supposed to meet to msbs last week but that didn't happen. They are meeting for the first time tomorrow to decide the first round of applicants and will send out notifications later this week. Just figured i would give everyone a heads up!

thanks for your reply. just trying to gauge how to appropriate my funds in preparation.
they just sent out first round of acceptances. this is my first choice for a graduate program and hopefully will be attending it this fall.

Not sure where you got that info from, but I spoke with Katie and she that they are aiming to send out first round of acceptances next week. Cross your fingers!

Hey everyone, I am also an applicant to the MSBS program and was wondering how past MSBS students or current applications have handled their AMCAS applications. Did you already submit it or are you waiting to see if you are admitted into the program in order to recorded on your AMCAS application that you are enrolled in this MSBS program? I have everything ready to submit and was just wondering what others have done. Thanks, good luck to everyone and congrats to those MSBS students who have been accepted into Toledo!

current msbs applicants have handled**

Not sure where you got that info from, but I spoke with Katie and she that they are aiming to send out first round of acceptances next week. Cross your fingers!
i spoke with Katie as well and based on the following email

"Thanks for applying to the MSBS program at The University of Toledo. The 1st round of acceptances have been sent out to the students. After those students accept or decline they will sent out more depending on how many students accepted or declined their offers."

i assume letters have been sent out. but what i am gathering is that some might of have been sent out and they are still looking at applicants for 1st round.

students will be notified via email.

i spoke with Katie as well and based on the following email

"Thanks for applying to the MSBS program at The University of Toledo. The 1st round of acceptances have been sent out to the students. After those students accept or decline they will sent out more depending on how many students accepted or declined their offers."

i assume letters have been sent out. but what i am gathering is that some might of have been sent out and they are still looking at applicants for 1st round.

students will be notified via email.

How weird - I didn't get an email from Toledo and Katie gave me the opposite information. I wonder what's going on...

How weird - I didn't get an email from Toledo and Katie gave me the opposite information. I wonder what's going on...
I just spoke with Katie 5 minutes ago and she said she gave me wrong information (I got the same answer from her saying they already accepted the first wave earlier today when I emailed and asked) She emailed back saying the MSBS admissions have NOT sent out any acceptances. She told me they will be meeting this week and hopefully getting the first wave of acceptances out late this week or next week.

Hey everyone, I am also an applicant to the MSBS program and was wondering how past MSBS students or current applications have handled their AMCAS applications. Did you already submit it or are you waiting to see if you are admitted into the program in order to recorded on your AMCAS application that you are enrolled in this MSBS program? I have everything ready to submit and was just wondering what others have done. Thanks, good luck to everyone and congrats to those MSBS students who have been accepted into Toledo!

I know I had my AMCAS in around now, but I also know people were also doing it around the deadline. I wanted mine in early because I was a first time applicant and wanted to apply to other schools as well, and once you get a secondary you will designate that you are MSBS and they keep you in a separate file. So if you are only doing AMCAS for Toledo then it doesnt matter when you do it as long as it is before the deadline. If you want a good chance at other schools then the earlier the better. I would definitely recommend if you get in to have it done before school starts because then you dont have to worry about it later during your classes.

Last edited:

So what I did was I just included the fact that I was taking post-baccalaurette prep courses to better prepare for medical school (if your back-up plan is something completely different than a SMP then that's a different story).

I figured I could put more detail once I got secondaries.

From what I've heard there is nothing worse than a late application...

So what I did was I just included the fact that I was taking post-baccalaurette prep courses to better prepare for medical school (if your back-up plan is something completely different than a SMP then that's a different story).

I figured I could put more detail once I got secondaries.

From what I've heard there is nothing worse than a late application...

i haven't done my AMCAS yet. I am waiting on Toledo MSBS decision. Because when you fill out AMCAS you need to include classes you plan to take and I am not sure yet if I am going to Toledo MSBS or RFUMS BMS. As soon as I know I am gonna fill out AMCAS accordingly.

and in terms of "late application" if your doing a SMP I am pretty sure the host school wont consider your application till some of your SMP grades come in. If someone knows differently please share.

i haven't done my AMCAS yet. I am waiting on Toledo MSBS decision. Because when you fill out AMCAS you need to include classes you plan to take and I am not sure yet if I am going to Toledo MSBS or RFUMS BMS. As soon as I know I am gonna fill out AMCAS accordingly.

and in terms of "late application" if your doing a SMP I am pretty sure the host school wont consider your application till some of your SMP grades come in. If someone knows differently please share.

Same already have RFU acceptance, but would attend toledo over rfu

So I'm fairly certain you can 'update' your application to include that information? Correct if I am wrong (seriously, please do).

The host school being Toledo is a whole different process because they don't interview till the Summer after the program so you're right in that regard. Other schools you are applying to though will (if) they're interviewing you not necessarily see any of your grades.

I actually am very curious now whether or not I will be able to update it later or not hehehe.....

I remember once you submit amcas the only thing you can do is add schools . Pretty sure you can not change the courses you plan on taking. I could be wrong . Anybody know anything different ?

I remember once you submit amcas the only thing you can do is add schools . Pretty sure you can not change the courses you plan on taking. I could be wrong . Anybody know anything different ?
I believe you are correct, I dont think you can change anything besides adding schools once you submit your AMCAS app.

You can only add LOR and add schools, and change your home address, thats it

In the case that my grades as they stand don't get me past screening, would posting intended smp courses help?

You are all right, I was definitely mistaken. You CANNOT add coursework after you've submitted it. So since I've already submitted, hopefully if I make it through the preliminary cuts I can say something then.

I was also under the impression that you cannot really cite coursework (even future) from an institution that you do not have the transcripts from. So I would double check if they'll just let you say you're going to said school and taking said courses without any transcript or anything, because I assume they might not.

So I will say that you cant add stuff to your AMCAS app once it is submitted as far as I know, but some schools will take updates as the year goes on (but not all schools). I know I sent UCinci updates and Creighton updates and they were happy to take them, but some schools do not allow updates at all. If you get into Toledo's MSBS it is completely different, they let you update your LORs and extracurricular activities up until approximately April.

hello everyone,

if people start getting accepted into the program then can you please post the confirmation here.?this is the only program i am still waiting on a reply. i have been accepted into other programs and they are waiting for my decision. thus, this is a time sensitive situation and any indication to when acceptances are sent out would help.

thank you

Does anyone have a "decision" row in their application summary right under the application status? My application status still says complete awaiting decision but then directly under that there's a decision row. I can't remember if that's new or if that's always been there

I don't have it either...but maybe this indicates some movement in the near future?!

I don't want to jinx myself but my decision column says "applicant acceptance" I emailed Katie Secory to find out exactly what that means because I haven't received any emails about it. I submitted my application May 14th

Sounds like you're golden to me! What else could that mean haha

my says: Complete awaiting decision

anybody else have something different

i have no decision row

if you read the top it implies that " `Applicant Acceptance' means you got in.

from previous threads it seems they accept students to MSBS program all the way till before classes begin. i wish i find out soon so i can start filling out my amcas according to the SMP i will be doing

I don't want to jinx myself but my decision column says "applicant acceptance" I emailed Katie Secory to find out exactly what that means because I haven't received any emails about it. I submitted my application May 14th
That is what it said when I got in! Congratulations!

Last year it was just on the the same site you filled the application on, so wherever you were checking to see if your app was complete will eventually have a spot that says complete awaiting decision and if they accept you that will change to applicant acceptance.

edit

Last edited:
That is what it said when I got in! Congratulations!

Thanks! I hope that's right!

@GoBlue20141 I asked Katie Secory if that meant I was accepted and she replied "If you were accepted into the program you will receive your acceptance letter via email." So she didn't really tell me if I was accepted or not