UNLV interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am with these guys. I haven't heard anything.

No news for me yet :( Congrats to you though!

I'm on the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I feel like its not going to be good news. Congrats to everyone who got in :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone with their acceptances and to CBAforPT for her scholarship! I am so excited for you guys! :biglove::highfive::bow:

Gaaah! Just got an email letting me know that I got accepted with a scholarship! I was in the first batch of interviews. I hope good news is coming for the rest of you through the week!

Holy smokes! Just got an acceptance email! And I was in the Jan. 30th batch. So much for having to wait until Friday!

:wow:

I was accepted!!! I will pay the deposit and see what NAU has to offer. Congrats to all of you that got in too!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
knj are you going to be attending or are you still waiting for another school?

Damn. I'm on the alternate list.
Guess I'll have to take my other interviews very seriously now...
It does say they usually take 10-20 alternates, so i'm quite hopeful.
After a week of much anticipation, this isn't the answer I was looking for, but at least I know where I stand.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn. I'm on the alternate list.
Guess I'll have to take my other interviews very seriously now...
It does say they usually take 10-20 alternates, so i'm quite hopeful.
After a week of much anticipation, this isn't the answer I was looking for, but at least I know where I stand.

Did they give you a spot on the alternate list?

I think because of the higher percentage of their class that they fill with OOS applicants, they probably have a lower matriculation rates than some of the other desirable public programs in the western US.

So if you aren't too terribly far down, your chances are probably decent. :)

Did they give you a spot on the alternate list?

I think because of the higher percentage of their class that they fill with OOS applicants, they probably have a lower matriculation rates than some of the other desirable public programs in the western US.

So if you aren't too terribly far down, your chances are probably decent. :)

I'm currently 14th
I am actually thankful to be in this position considering my below average academic performance.
cum gpa - 3.3 (significant improvement towards the end)
gre - 157 v 163 q 4.0 aw
I think my interview is what got me an alternate position. It's quite an accomplishment for me to be considered in the top 50 out of 680 applicants.
I thought having the acceptance would give me more confidence so that I could do very well on my other interviews as well, but this is pretty close so I'm not complaining.

Good luck with NAU btw. I see you everywhere on this site, your stats are impressive.

Last edited:
I'm also on the alternate list. #9

Reactions: 1 users
Got waitlisted, #21

@knj27 Did your email tell you when your deposit was due?

Exactly 9 days after I got the acceptance email...7 business days....deposit has to be sent by mail as a cashier's check or money order too, so you've pretty much got to commit and send it within a couple days of getting notified.

Members don't see this ad :)
@knj27 I wish I could put a face to your name. I had the same interview day as you at UNLV. What was your interesting fact?

@knj27 I wish I could put a face to your name. I had the same interview day as you at UNLV. What was your interesting fact?

8295284.jpg

Exactly 9 days after I got the acceptance email...7 business days....deposit has to be sent by mail as a cashier's check or money order too, so you've pretty much got to commit and send it within a couple days of getting notified.

Dang, that is ridiculous! How much is the deposit?

Oh, and I got #41. :) Hope everyone else on here gets an acceptance! Guys & gals you got this! :xf:

:smack:

Lol that's a ridiculous number of people to waitlist...good luck at your other schools! You already have an acceptance don't you?

Yeah, I have an acceptance to Wash U in St Louis and I still have a couple interviews (George Fox, University of the Pacific) and a couple decisions left (UW, and Chapman) so I am being optimistic. :) UNLV however is not in the cards, oh well, such is life. :meh:

Yeah, I have an acceptance to Wash U in St Louis and I still have a couple interviews (George Fox, University of the Pacific) and a couple decisions left (UW, and Chapman) so I am being optimistic. :) UNLV however is not in the cards, oh well, such is life. :meh:

:meh: indeed...good luck with your remaining interviews...what is your first choice school?

:meh: indeed...good luck with your remaining interviews...what is your first choice school?

I am indecisive. My parents live an hour and a half from George Fox. UW is awesome, and I have some great friends in Seattle since I went to school at Pacific Lutheran. My grandparents live near UOP so I could live with them and it's two years for a degree even if it costs an arm and a leg. Finally, Wash U has great research opportunities and I would love to get a PhD and teach so I am really pulled toward St Louis.

it's two years for a degree even if it costs an arm and a leg....

I don't really understand how it can be called a Doctor of physical therapy program if it's 25 months...before the DPT came into existence, a lot of MPT programs were 27 or 28 months. If accreditation standards require that basically the same content be taught at all programs, then the 25 month programs should be taught at a 30% faster pace than the 36 month programs...I have to wonder if the shorter programs really teach that much faster, or if they just don't cover as many things as thoroughly.

Now I'm not arguing that everything in a PT program is essential and that there is not content that could be pared down...nor am I arguing that graduates of shorter programs are less likely to be good PTs...clearly not, the profession experienced unprecedented success and expansion for years with a master's being the terminal degree. But saying you have completed Doctoral studies in a field in 33 or 36 months is already pushing it...but 25 months just seems like we should stop kidding ourselves and just call it what it is...a Master's degree.

It also cracks me up that they have a "journal article" (http://ijahsp.nova.edu/articles/vol4num1/little.pdf) posted on their website that is their to back up their claim that even though our school is ridiculously expensive, it's actually better because it's shorter so you don't have to pay the ridiculous price for quite as long.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from going to school there, I'm just being the little devil on your other shoulder. Also, this is something I've thought about a number of times and you happened to accidentally give me a good reason to rant on it. Sorry... :sorry:

I'm not trying to dissuade you from going to school there, I'm just being the little devil on your other shoulder. Also, this is something I've thought about a number of times and you happened to accidentally give me a good reason to rant on it. Sorry... :sorry:

:hijacked: Dang bashing on a future potential school of mine, haha kidding. I definitely appreciate what you are saying. I have been thinking the exact same things and question the quality of the education and the quality of the experience at UOP. I have been looking over the curriculum and I think there may be something lost in a two year program in lieu of a three year program. Here is a look at the curricula of different schools. The credits at UOP are slightly deficient, but nothing like what you would expect by chopping off a year of education from a program. Also, relating credit hours to education is not a one to one relationship I realize, because what you say in credits and what you actually learn and experience are separate. I think where you really lose at UOP is the clinical experience; looking at various schools we both applied to it appears that the clinical experience is slightly less than half as much as other programs. For example, UOP compared to Wash U is ~42%. I am not so sure if after 25 weeks of clinicals that I would be ready to represent the profession appropriately, and comfortably. It is a big risk, and I wonder about the future accreditation status of UOP because of its two year program. Also, I looked at professor profiles and most of them have been there 1 or 2 years which is worthy of worry. Keep that rants coming, I love it! :)

http://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/page_files/27/PT-CurriculumCourseDescription-2014.pdf
http://www2.nau.edu/~pt-p/programs/dpt/curriculum.php
https://pt.wustl.edu/Education/Doct...heEducationalExperience/Pages/Curriculum.aspx
http://www.pacific.edu/Academics/Sc...cs/Doctor-of-Physical-Therapy/Curriculum.html

Last edited:
Is everything at UOP accelerated? My friend went through their pharmacy program there on that fast track too. Maybe all the students there get time-turners a la Harry Potter.

Reactions: 2 users
:hijacked: Dang bashing on a future potential school of mine, haha kidding. I definitely appreciate what you are saying. I have been thinking the exact same things and question the quality of the education and the quality of the experience at UOP. I have been looking over the curriculum and I think there may be something lost in a two year program in lieu of a three year program. Here is a look at the of the curricula of different schools. The credits at UOP are slightly deficient, but nothing like what you would expect by chopping off a year of education from a program. Also, relating credit hours to education is not a one to one relationship I realize, because what you say in credits and what you actually learn and experience are separate. I think where you really lose at UOP is the clinical experience; looking at various schools we both applied to it appears that the clinical experience is slightly less than half as much as other programs. For example, UOP compared to Wash U is ~42%. I am not so sure if after 16 weeks of clinicals that I would be ready to represent the profession appropriately, and comfortably. It is a big risk, and I wonder about the future accreditation status of UOP because of its two year program. Also, I looked at professor profiles and most of them have been there 1 or 2 years which is worthy of worry. Keep that rants coming, I love it! :)

http://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/page_files/27/PT-CurriculumCourseDescription-2014.pdf
http://www2.nau.edu/~pt-p/programs/dpt/curriculum.php
https://pt.wustl.edu/Education/Doct...heEducationalExperience/Pages/Curriculum.aspx
http://www.pacific.edu/Academics/Sc...cs/Doctor-of-Physical-Therapy/Curriculum.html

Sorry for taking this thread terribly off subject...but I agree regarding the clinicals...that's something I noticed looking at their curriculum too...seems most schools have around 36-38 weeks of clinicals, some go as high as 40-42, some go as low as 32-33...but at UoP I see three 8-week clinicals, and a couple of 1 credit "clinical experiences"...even with the mini clinicals they probably don't have more than 30 weeks of clinicals total...the mini clincals are probably less helpful than 3rd year ones too...I'm sure some would argue that by the time they did their last few weeks of clinicals they were sick of working for free and ready to graduate...but at the same time I think only having 24 weeks of proper full-blown clinicals is pretty dang low

Is everything at UOP accelerated? My friend went through their pharmacy program there on that fast track too. Maybe all the students there get time-turners a la Harry Potter.

All time turners have been rendered useless to the best of my knowledge, but I like your thinking! :heckyeah:

Last edited:
I've officially declined my spot so hopefully some of you on the wait list get some good news soon!

I've officially declined my spot so hopefully some of you on the wait list get some good news soon!

I don't need your spot but I'll take your scholarship... ;)

Did you reach a decision or is it still up in the air between the other schools?

I don't need your spot but I'll take your scholarship... ;)

Did you reach a decision or is it still up in the air between the other schools?

I would gladly give you my scholarship if I could!

Which school is still up in the air. It will likely come down to EWU, NAU, or RMUoHP but I won't be able to make a final decision until April. I am waiting to see what happens with my husband's company/his job so that I can see if NAU or EWU are even possibilities. I'll be visiting NAU and EWU at the end of the month to get a better feel for them. If I am accepted to NAU I'll probably put down deposits at all 3 schools and then wait until April to make my final decision (I know that sounds terrible...but such is life).

I would gladly give you my scholarship if I could!

I don't understand why they don't send you an email back after you decline your seat saying "Which SDN member would you like to nominate for a scholarship?" This is outrageous. :mad:

Which school is still up in the air. It will likely come down to EWU, NAU, or RMUoHP but I won't be able to make a final decision until April. I am waiting to see what happens with my husband's company/his job so that I can see if NAU or EWU are even possibilities. I'll be visiting NAU and EWU at the end of the month to get a better feel for them. If I am accepted to NAU I'll probably put down deposits at all 3 schools and then wait until April to make my final decision (I know that sounds terrible...but such is life).

Ugh...I think I may have stepped into some sort of Twilight Zone alternate universe where the waiting game never ends...

They should take the scholarship and use it to cut tuition for everyone. Win for all!

On another note, anyone know what the living costs there are like? I was asking the students and seemed the average was about 700-1000 for rent?

They should take the scholarship and use it to cut tuition for everyone. Win for all!

On another note, anyone know what the living costs there are like? I was asking the students and seemed the average was about 700-1000 for rent?

From what I've looked at I've seen plenty of decent apartments in Las Vegas where rent and utilities total would be below $1000. It seems that the overall cost of living there really isn't too bad.

Is there any site that estimates what the total cost of attending would be? I can see from the website that tuition for 2014-16 for three years is about 88k for oos. Would it be reasonable for cost of living to be around 25k per year?

Is there any site that estimates what the total cost of attending would be? I can see from the website that tuition for 2014-16 for three years is about 88k for oos. Would it be reasonable for cost of living to be around 25k per year?

That's gonna totally depend on your personal budget/lifestyle/expenses. Will you have TV? Smartphone? Go out to eat/go to the bar a lot? Will you have a car? Will you travel home numerous times a year? Is your car insurance expensive? Do you need to buy your own health insurance? Will you have renter's insurance? Do you shop/buy things you want frequently? The difference between answering all of these no vs all of these yes is at least $1000/month or more. So if you're answer is no for all these and you're a real penny pincher, $25k/year flyin' solo is not gonna be a problem at all. But if you're answering yes to all these and more, $25k/year isn't gonna close to cut it. The reality is probably going to be somewhere in the middle for most people.

Sit down and plan out your own personal budget (and add some extra each month for safety) and accurately determine how much you will realistically need.

Last edited:
for loans, when completing the fafsa, do we complete the 2014-15 year or 15-16? school starts in june and 15-16 form says july 1.

also does it say anywhere the COA for UNLV? I can find the tuition w/ books total, but I thought the COA would be what determines how much one gets in loans.

edit uno: been on hold for over 45 min with fin aid dept. c'moooooooooon

edit dos: BREAKTHROUGH AFTER 50 MINUTES!!!1!!

Last edited:
@knj27 How is that possible with your stats? You got rejected after getting an interview?! That is utterly ridiculous. UNLV seems like a great school so congrats!!!

Hey knj27, I'm headed to UNLV in June as well. Just wanted to ask if you've received any matriculation info yet. I was told it would be emailed in a few weeks, but haven't received anything yet. Good luck with the move as well!

just received email stating my "ACE account" is ready and it's time to enroll in classes

Just wondering, for yall who have logged into the system, there's nothing else there other than changing password right? That's all I see after I logged in.

I created a group on Facebook called "UNLV DPT Class of 2018". Please find it and I will add you to the group.