UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's definitely not advisable as you don't know what you might run into (like traffic). Plus the drive is far, especially from Austin. You would have to drive all night to arrive there by morning, and you still need time to get dressed/groomed. Plus, you might become exhausted and that's never good. There is a Marriot that is literally like a mile from the school and it shouldn't be too pricey. I recommend going the day before and getting there during the evening and relaxing the night before at the hotel. But ask about check-out time because you wont be done with your interview schedule until at least 1:45, and that's assuming you get the morning interviews (some interview schedules start at 1). If that's a problem, I guess you could check out before the interview and just go back to Austin when you're done.

I was going to drive from Corpus to Austin and stay with family there the night before my interview, but decided against it, wouldof had to leave at 3 am to get there in time to get changed and everything and would have been worn out from no sleep and the drive. So I found a Days Inn off of Orbitz for $50 total, off of I35W on the south end of Ft Worth (at Seminary Dr). It took me only 15 mins or less to get to the school from the hotel, barely any traffic at 645 in the morning. Not the cleanest/best hotel but worth the money when your just sleeping and getting dressed there. I could barely sleep anyways, but at least got some rest. Just changed after the interview at TCOM, no big deal.
So, if you have the money its worth it to just get the hotel if your interviews are at 7am.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All.

For those who have interviewed or have received interview invites, would you mind sharing your stats? Thank you very much.

Hi All.

For those who have interviewed or have received interview invites, would you mind sharing your stats? Thank you very much.

3.34 and 30R :) See, numbers aren't all that matters. I know they don't speak to my full capabilities, and TCOM must know too, so don't lose hope if you're low and all the better if you're high!

Interview on Tuesday! (10/19) EEEEEK!:) Anyone else interviewing that day, and how big are the groups here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All.

overall GPA = 3.69
Scicne GPA = 3.52
MCAT = 28S

Interview on friday!!!:)

28R, 3.91 cGPA, interview Tuesday 19th!! Check in time at 7am...yowza, but very excited!!! What I like about TCOM is their view of medicine (looking at someone as a whole) applies to how they look at applicants! Can't wait!!! Anyone else have a super early interview?

28R, 3.91 cGPA, interview Tuesday 19th!! Check in time at 7am...yowza, but very excited!!! What I like about TCOM is their view of medicine (looking at someone as a whole) applies to how they look at applicants! Can't wait!!! Anyone else have a super early interview?

I did!!

Check-in at 7am and the first interview at 7:30. Everything was great!!

Good luck!!!

Hey....to the people who had early interviews (mine is at 730 this friday) what did you do afterwards? My email says be there at 7am, interview at 730 then meet somewhere at 1030. Well what do I do from 8 to 1030?!?!?!

thanks =)

Hey....to the people who had early interviews (mine is at 730 this friday) what did you do afterwards? My email says be there at 7am, interview at 730 then meet somewhere at 1030. Well what do I do from 8 to 1030?!?!?!

thanks =)

you should have two interviews before the orientation at 1030, might spend some time waiting around talking to other interviewees and the staff in between everything, should be done by 130.. good luck

thanks =)

When you get there Caroline will explain it all to you. You really just kind of hang out in the admissions area until you have an interview scheduled or something else. They will tell you exactly where to go for everything, and usually walk you over to where you need to go. It's really relaxed, so don't stress out! Good luck :)

you should have two interviews before the orientation at 1030, might spend some time waiting around talking to other interviewees and the staff in between everything, should be done by 130.. good luck

My second interview is actually at 2pm!! Weird. But thanks to both of you for the advice :)

My second interview is actually at 2pm!! Weird. But thanks to both of you for the advice :)

Hey PrincessBP, I am in a similar boat, first interview 7:30, second at 1:15pm! Perhaps we can pass the time from 8-1030!! :)

pfeica and LibbyJ- I'll be there on Tuesday the 19th, too! I think my times are 2 and 3:30, but I think we all have the same orientation at 10:30.

Members don't see this ad :)
where you there today??!?! who were you???

Hey! Sorry, I misread when you had your interview, I will be there this Tuesday. Pinkmidget, hope to see you there, I am a tad nervous! Anyone have any advice/suggestions? This is my first interview!

Hi Everyone,

TCOM is really my number one school... I was wondering how long it took everyone to get interviews after their applications were complete?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

TCOM is really my number one school... I was wondering how long it took everyone to get interviews after their applications were complete?

Thanks!

It took about 5 days (two of those were weekend days) to get anything - but, I didn't get a call. I happened to check my status and it said I had been invited to interview. I have read they are changing your online status before you get any call, so keep checking.

Interview on Tuesday, very nervous... :confused:

ACCEPTED! Just got the phone call today! OOS so was surprised since I was worried about the whole 10% rule. I might get to stay in Texas after all! :D

ACCEPTED! Just got the phone call today! OOS so was surprised since I was worried about the whole 10% rule. I might get to stay in Texas after all! :D

Congrats!!! That's so exciting! I can't wait until Nov 15. I just remembered that the admissions person who gave us the orientation presentation (was he the dean?) told us that if we're in state and it's bad news that he'd try to let us know in October so that we're not waiting in vain for Nov 15. So now I'm really paranoid every time I see that I have an email. I hate waiting. :(

Congrats. That's a major accomplishment. Did you interview in August? It seemed that there were a few oos people with me when I interviewed at TCOM.

Congrats!!! That's so exciting! I can't wait until Nov 15. I just remembered that the admissions person who gave us the orientation presentation (was he the dean?) told us that if we're in state and it's bad news that he'd try to let us know in October so that we're not waiting in vain for Nov 15. So now I'm really paranoid every time I see that I have an email. I hate waiting. :(

Waiting till (at best) Nov. 15th really isn't fun. During the presentation we were told the same, if we weren't getting in they would send a letter telling us the news. After two months and no response I guess that's a good thing... seems weird to hope that they don't contact you. :rolleyes:

btw; I've been accepted to two oos DO schools. :) Nova and LECOM-B. If anyone wants to hear my thoughts of those schools compared to TCOM, PM me.

-Alcoves

Interviewed today!!! I am in love!!!!!! Those were the best interviews ever. I had three, because I applied to their ROME (rural osteopathic medical education) program, and it seemed like the first interview went pretty darn well until I had the second, and the third, which were AMAZING!

Interviewer #1 brought up a philosopher I referenced in a statement, then asked me to elaborate on my views of his thinking and how it tied into nature vs. nurture, so that threw me for a second, but I think I managed a pretty good answer. There were other questions involving statement references. The rest was a lot of "how do you feel about this problem in health" stuff. Bottom line: read your statements and know/mean what you say. Take a stance on issues.

There were some real-life ethical questions from interviewer #2, but I actually really enjoyed them, as it gave me a chance to show her some moral fiber/maturity/etc. (hopefully, that's what stood out). She emphasized students' need to shadow a DO before they apply to TCOM. She was a great interviewer, and seemed to have all the right questions ready to figure out if I was doctor material. Know your strengths, weaknesses, and what medicine is to you.

Interviewer #3 turned out to be two people (surprise!!!!) who talked to me about rural medicine, had THOROUGHLY read my application materials (those with which they were provided), asked me about my shadowing experience and rural medicine motivations, and just wanted to answer all my questions pretty much. They seemed to really appreciate good questions, so have 'em ready!

Hope this helps any interviewees for next time!!

Congrats. That's a major accomplishment. Did you interview in August? It seemed that there were a few oos people with me when I interviewed at TCOM.

Waiting till (at best) Nov. 15th really isn't fun. During the presentation we were told the same, if we weren't getting in they would send a letter telling us the news. After two months and no response I guess that's a good thing... seems weird to hope that they don't contact you. :rolleyes:

btw; I've been accepted to two oos DO schools. :) Nova and LECOM-B. If anyone wants to hear my thoughts of those schools compared to TCOM, PM me.

-Alcoves

Thanks. Yeah, I think I interviewed on the second interview date they had on Aug 6. It was definitely a great experience, and both my interviewers were such interesting higher level people. Has anyone else on here applied in TX OOS and heard from any of the other TX schools? Just wondering and also, does anyone know if TCOM has a Second Look weekend?

Pfeica - nice to finally meet you!!

I also had interviews today, but only two (I have not requested to be a part of the ROME or PhD program). First interview was....different. My interview mostly talked about how once someone enters your life, you are a changed person. Then I had to draw shapes (there was a reason, which eventually he explained). Orientation and lunch was great, really relaxed and fun (and informative). Second interview went great. He too thoroughly looked over my application, but most of it was mentioned rather than me having to re-explain it all.

Overall a great day! Good luck to all who have future interviews, and can't wait for Nov 15th and after!

Hey Guys!
After I submitted my secondary application for TCOM, the status was Application is complete. Then, It said you have been invited for an interview. I already interviewed, and now the status changed to Under Review but after like 3 weeks of my interview. Is that normal? Did it happen to anyone? Is it a good or bad thing? Thanks

Hey Guys!
After I submitted my secondary application for TCOM, the status was Application is complete. Then, It said you have been invited for an interview. I already interviewed, and now the status changed to Under Review but after like 3 weeks of my interview. Is that normal? Did it happen to anyone? Is it a good or bad thing? Thanks

I just checked mine - I interviewed last week. Mine also states UNDER REVIEW, which leads me to believe this is normal! :) Good or bad? Let's say it's a good thing..just for sanity sake :) :thumbup:

I just checked mine - I interviewed last week. Mine also states UNDER REVIEW, which leads me to believe this is normal! :) Good or bad? Let's say it's a good thing..just for sanity sake :) :thumbup:

I interviewed a week ago. Mine says under review.

Awesome!:)

For those who are trying to find a place to stay, ask about staying with a current student, i know that the current students (myself included) enjoy hosting you all and talking about the school.

Also ask about the rural scholars program (ROME), it rocks!!

And good luck to everyone.

For those who have interview, has it shown up on your match list?

Got an interview invite this morning!!!! :) In state, submitted May 12th, verified and sent to all the schools on June 1st, complete at TCOM on July 15th. I got this invite after writing a very personal letter of interest... :D The best part is that I don't have to travel or spend any money for this one! I live only 15 min away from the school...

Interview set for Tuesday, November 9th! Eeeekkk! Anyone else going to be there that day?

Got an interview invite this morning!!!! :) In state, submitted May 12th, verified and sent to all the schools on June 1st, complete at TCOM on July 15th. I got this invite after writing a very personal letter of interest... :D The best part is that I don't have to travel or spend any money for this one! I live only 15 min away from the school...

Interview set for Tuesday, November 9th! Eeeekkk! Anyone else going to be there that day?

would your recommend writing a letter then? And where did you send it?

Thanks!

Did you e-mail your letter of interest, or snail mail?

I'm wondering about sending update/interest letters to several schools, but really am not sure about how to do it and what it looks like from their perspective. Starting to get real nervous right now though, time is running out for invites.

Did you e-mail your letter of interest, or snail mail?

I'm wondering about sending update/interest letters to several schools, but really am not sure about how to do it and what it looks like from their perspective. Starting to get real nervous right now though, time is running out for invites.

I snail mailed them out... My thoughts were the same, invites will only be coming through the end of November (for interviews in December), if we are lucky. So I didn't want to waste time waiting, if I wait then I may end up not getting anything. My letters were very direct, I flat out asked for interviews from each of the schools. They were not update letters at all... They were "I am awesome, give me a chance" letters. :laugh: I felt kind of "balls-y" sending them out actually... ;)

I snail mailed them out... My thoughts were the same, invites will only be coming through the end of November (for interviews in December), if we are lucky. So I didn't want to waste time waiting, if I wait then I may end up not getting anything. My letters were very direct, I flat out asked for interviews from each of the schools. They were not update letters at all... They were "I am awesome, give me a chance" letters. :laugh: I felt kind of "balls-y" sending them out actually... ;)

Hey Noshie :)

Did you only send one to TCOM or others too? I got an interview with TCOM but no one else, I would like some more. You are probably being hit with questions right now about your "ballsy" yet apparently effective letters!! Any advice on how to start such a letter, where to address it (ie: admissions I assume), etc. Thanks again! We (all those waiting!!) much appreciate your advice and time!

Hey Noshie :)

Did you only send one to TCOM or others too? I got an interview with TCOM but no one else, I would like some more. You are probably being hit with questions right now about your "ballsy" yet apparently effective letters!! Any advice on how to start such a letter, where to address it (ie: admissions I assume), etc. Thanks again! We (all those waiting!!) much appreciate your advice and time!

I did write one to each school in Texas that I did not interview with (TCOM, UTSW, UT Houston, UTHSCSA, A&M and UTMB). I havent heard anything from any of the other schools, yet... But it has only been a week really. Prior to writing my UTHSCSA letter, I asked an MS1 I found on SDN for some advice about what the high points of the school are so I could write about specific reasons I want to go there. His response ended up being about how he also wrote letters of interst asking for interviews, and he ended up getting a last minute Dec interview at UTHSCSA, and then getting accepted there also. He told me that writing these letters helped him a ton, and it definitely sealed the deal on getting into UTHSCSA.

I wrote my letters to the "director" or "dean" of admission at each school. I just checked the admissions website and found out who to send them to by looking for the highest up person in admissions. For a breakdown of how I structured my letter, check out this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10262031#post10262031

In my opinion, you need to make sure that the letter gives details of why you are interested in the school, and you also need to highlight your desire to go there. Hope this helps guys!

has anyone else been having trouble accessing the portal today?

I got an interview invite for 11/12 and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or tell me their interview experience (especially the questions they ask). This is my first med school interview EVER! so I am very nervous :scared:

My application was transmitted only a week ago...i didn't expect anything so fast being such a late applicant. I know a graduate school recruiter there...could that be why my interview came so fast?

I got an interview invite for 11/12 and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or tell me their interview experience (especially the questions they ask). This is my first med school interview EVER! so I am very nervous :scared:

My application was transmitted only a week ago...i didn't expect anything so fast being such a late applicant. I know a graduate school recruiter there...could that be why my interview came so fast?

ahh lucky.. I'm dying to get an interview here. What are your stats? How do they contact you for interviews?

No its just that TCOM is really fast with interview invites if they are really interested in you, mine came really fast and from the rest of the posts on here you can tell alot of them come fast... dont be worried about the actual interview just be yourself and know the basics of what Osteopathy is, what they believe, and how they treat things... i got asked about it, but other than that its all about your essays and your past
good luck

Thanks thitchcock! I hope it goes well...:xf: Is anyone else interviewing 11/12?

My stats are 29M, gpa 3.88, some research, scribing, and campus involvement. I blew my writing on the MCAT but verbal should even that out.

Does anyone know if they've sent out any post-interview rejection letters yet? I'm paranoid...

Does anyone know if they've sent out any post-interview rejection letters yet? I'm paranoid...

They will probably not do this until after November 15th, if they even do it at all... I am going to bet they don't... Texas schools are just so vague about your status.

They will probably not do this until after November 15th, if they even do it at all... I am going to bet they don't... Texas schools are just so vague about your status.

The head of admissions told us in his presentation that if he had bad news for us (in state people), that he'd try to let us know before prematch so that we're not waiting in vain for an offer that isn't going to come. Honestly, that makes me like the school that much more.

I was looking at last year's application thread and some people got them via snail mail in early November... I don't really understand how that works though, because can't you still match to the school in February? I guess that just means that you'd be very low on their match list or something? Confusing...

When I interviewed, Mr. Kennedy said he would be sending the rejection letters at the end of October. Can anyone verify this?

Anyone else going to be interviewing at TCOM on Tuesday, November 9th? Hope to meet some more SDNers! :)

Anyone else going to be interviewing at TCOM on Tuesday, November 9th? Hope to meet some more SDNers! :)

I landed an interview at TCOM the following Tuesday.. they didnt have anything sooner which means I'll more likely have to wait until February to hear from them.

Let us know how your interview there goes! Good luck!:thumbup::thumbup:

I'll be there. I don't post much heh, I just lurk lol, but hope to meet you! :)

I'll be there. I don't post much heh, I just lurk lol, but hope to meet you! :)

How will I know it is you? Haha, I have randomly asked people before at interviews and I get funny looks... I'm the chick wearing a black suit with a silky teal shirt... Should be easy to spot.

How will I know it is you? Haha, I have randomly asked people before at interviews and I get funny looks... I'm the chick wearing a black suit with a silky teal shirt... Should be easy to spot.

Lol, I'll be in a black suit, grey shirt, yellow spotted tie. At least I think that's what I'm wearing haha. I'll finalize my wardrobe tonight lol. What time is your interview? Mine is at 7:30 in the morning...:( lol

Lol, I'll be in a black suit, grey shirt, yellow spotted tie. At least I think that's what I'm wearing haha. I'll finalize my wardrobe tonight lol. What time is your interview? Mine is at 7:30 in the morning...:( lol

Wow, why is your interview at 7:30am!!! I don't even have to be there until 9am to check in! My first interview is at 9:45am though. And then I have another one at 2pm. Starting to get kind of nervous, but I am hoping that at least one of my interviewers is someone I know already... If its a PhD then I might have a chance. That would be AWESOME! :) Not banking on it though, going over some interview questions today.