Virginia-Maryland CVM (VA-MD) c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most people will probably be in a suit and dress shirt + tie / blouse
Yeah as a girl I wasn’t sure if I should have a blazer with my blouse or if just a blouse was good but just to be safe I think I’ll wear a blazer too

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're probably fine either way as far as the admissions people are actually concerned, but you may feel underdressed compared to other applicants which could mess with your head... (Although it sounds like it's online again instead of in person? So maybe not since you won't be able to see other people...)

Reactions: 1 user
So the original invite email says that the deadline is the 3rd but the intro video on Kira talent said the 4th and the practice questions give us three minutes but the email says we’ll have 4? Does anyone know what the actual time limit is??

Members don't see this ad :)
you have 4 minutes. The practice questions had a 3 minute time limit. Also id complete it by the 3rd as in the email it said it was a very strict deadline and wouldn’t want you to miss out on it.

So the original invite email says that the deadline is the 3rd but the intro video on Kira talent said the 4th and the practice questions give us three minutes but the email says we’ll have 4? Does anyone know what the actual time limit is??
I would assume what's on the email is correct....

just finished my interview !!!!! was SO NERVOUS for this one as my first mmi but it went better than I expected I think, no matter what happens I’m just happy with how I did :’)

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This is probably a dumb question, but we can do the interview on a weekend, right? I was planning to complete it this Saturday, but I just wanted to make sure that was okay! Does anybody know?
it’s open until the 3rd at midnight so I don’t see why not!

Has anyone else been having bad post interview anxiety? I felt confident in most of my answers but can’t stop over analyzing my answers and wishing I said things differently 😭 so much pressure on this interview

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone else been having bad post interview anxiety? I felt confident in most of my answers but can’t stop over analyzing my answers and wishing I said things differently 😭 so much pressure on this interview
The interview is over now so it is out of your hands…. You did the best you could do, but you have to leave it up to them now! I struggle with this too but the constant reminder of knowing you’re here because you deserve it is what helps me :)

Reactions: 1 users
Wow I totally messed up on the kira interview (': T.T fml

I’m sure it went better than you think! I’m taking mine tomorrow, any advice with nerves or stuff like that?
Can't really help you there ahahah i definitely over thought my questions more than i should've. I would say just definitely take your time during the prep time and maybe take notes

Members don't see this ad :)
What made it worse for me is that literally on the last question, it said my mic was not detected and I kept having errors and not letting me finish recording. I had to record on my phone multiple times also. Im just glad it didn't just lock me out.

What made it worse for me is that literally on the last question, it said my mic was not detected and I kept having errors and not letting me finish recording. I had to record on my phone multiple times also. Im just glad it didn't just lock me out.
Oh my god I would’ve cried I’m so sorry!

how long after the third does everyone think we’ll hear back? already impatient 🥲

how long after the third does everyone think we’ll hear back? already impatient 🥲
According to previous years with interviews, it literally looked like they heard back like 2 weeks later but I have no idea😂 I was just stalking past cycles and made that assumption

According to previous years with interviews, it literally looked like they heard back like 2 weeks later but I have no idea😂 I was just stalking past cycles and made that assumption
that would be…….fantastic ❤️ hoping it’s sometime in jan!

Well fingers crossed now. I wish they didn’t base the acceptances solely off the interview. I think I did well but it’s so easy to overthink it when you’re done

Reactions: 2 users
Well fingers crossed now. I wish they didn’t base the acceptances solely off the interview. I think I did well but it’s so easy to overthink it when you’re done
it’s so tough with the overthinking. I took it a week ago today and have been non stop thinking about it 😂 been driving myself crazy

Oh man it's only based off the interview?? 🥲 I couldn't remember if va-md did that

I’m so terrified to take mine ;~; I’ve been putting it off so I can practice more and no matter what I don’t feel ready

I’m so terrified to take mine ;~; I’ve been putting it off so I can practice more and no matter what I don’t feel ready
I didn’t feel ready and i bit the bullet and did it and i’m glad i got it over with and didn’t practice more because it helped me be myself a little bit better and not worrying about the “right” or “wrong” thing to say

Do we need to email them the confidentiality form or is that uploaded only through Kira talent ?

you upload it through the check in process!!
Thanks! I took my interview a few days ago but couldn’t remember if I uploaded it then and I started freaking out about what if I needed to email them the form lol this process is stressful

The post interview anxiety is KILLING ME

The post interview anxiety is KILLING ME
it gets better!! It’s been about a week and a half for me and i’ve talked myself down to staying positive and knowing I did the very best I could! 💛 we got this, don’t get down on yourself!

When we thinking we’re gonna hear back?

Good luck to everyone applying!!! Current third year student, feel free to reach out with any questions :cat:
Hello! How did you feel about the rotations after the second year? Do you think it was helpful?

Now that the interview is closed, the real waiting game begins 🤧

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Hello! How did you feel about the rotations after the second year? Do you think it was helpful?
I was a little nervous going into it not knowing how much they would expect us to know (especially since there were 4th years along with my class because COVID canceled the summer before), but I ended up loving it! I only had 2 internal rotations but all of the doctors and techs were fantastic on both, very understanding of the fact that we're still learning and did a lot to help us come to the right answers rather than just being like "nope you're wrong." It was also a refreshing break from the classroom and gave me a much needed boost! I can see the pros and cons of early rotations vs. traditional curriculum, but I definitely don't have any regrets about my decision.

Has anyone heard any kind of timeline update as to when we might hear something? The waiting game is not my strong point :) TIA!

Has anyone heard any kind of timeline update as to when we might hear something? The waiting game is not my strong point :) TIA!
Nope kinda hoping someone will be brave enough to email 😅

I was a little nervous going into it not knowing how much they would expect us to know (especially since there were 4th years along with my class because COVID canceled the summer before), but I ended up loving it! I only had 2 internal rotations but all of the doctors and techs were fantastic on both, very understanding of the fact that we're still learning and did a lot to help us come to the right answers rather than just being like "nope you're wrong." It was also a refreshing break from the classroom and gave me a much needed boost! I can see the pros and cons of early rotations vs. traditional curriculum, but I definitely don't have any regrets about my decision.
Thanks for sharing!! What was the schedule like? Did it help you better prepare your classes in the third year?

Per Shelby- they are still aiming for mid-February!

Thanks for sharing!! What was the schedule like? Did it help you better prepare your classes in the third year?
In my experience the schedule was very reasonable. The two internals I had were Ophthalmology and Community Practice (CPRAC), for both I usually got there by 7-7:30 every morning (not always required but I like being a little early) and I think the latest I ever stayed was 5pm. For ophtho we had to make an on-call schedule and with it evenly divided I had 3 or 4 days that I was on, but for the most part we only got called in on the weekends (this is not the case for every service). For externals the only requirement from the school is that we have to put in at least 40 hours/week, and scheduling is left mainly up to whoever is overseeing you. One clinic I went to was a 24/7 emergency clinic and they built my schedule around my interests, the other was a general practice and my schedule was M-F during appointment hours (they let me leave early a few times after some late nights the day before).

As far as preparing me for third year - I'm a small animal tracker and in fall of third year we have a required ophtho/neuro class, I would say that having been through my ophtho rotation beforehand DEFINITELY helped me!! Our required internal and emergency medicine courses are in the spring so I can't speak on those yet, but being hands-on is one of the best ways for me to learn so I'm sure I'll see a benefit there too.

In my experience the schedule was very reasonable. The two internals I had were Ophthalmology and Community Practice (CPRAC), for both I usually got there by 7-7:30 every morning (not always required but I like being a little early) and I think the latest I ever stayed was 5pm. For ophtho we had to make an on-call schedule and with it evenly divided I had 3 or 4 days that I was on, but for the most part we only got called in on the weekends (this is not the case for every service). For externals the only requirement from the school is that we have to put in at least 40 hours/week, and scheduling is left mainly up to whoever is overseeing you. One clinic I went to was a 24/7 emergency clinic and they built my schedule around my interests, the other was a general practice and my schedule was M-F during appointment hours (they let me leave early a few times after some late nights the day before).

As far as preparing me for third year - I'm a small animal tracker and in fall of third year we have a required ophtho/neuro class, I would say that having been through my ophtho rotation beforehand DEFINITELY helped me!! Our required internal and emergency medicine courses are in the spring so I can't speak on those yet, but being hands-on is one of the best ways for me to learn so I'm sure I'll see a benefit there too.
How do you like living in Blacksburg? I'm IS, but I'm a little on the fence (if I get in) because I've heard theres just nothing in Blacksburg lol (haven't had a chance to actually visit tho)

How do you like living in Blacksburg? I'm IS, but I'm a little on the fence (if I get in) because I've heard theres just nothing in Blacksburg lol (haven't had a chance to actually visit tho)
I know the question wasn’t directed at me but figured I would chime in so you get a couple perspectives . I was born and raised in Los Angeles and San Diego … basically I’m as big city girl as they come, but I love it here! I wouldn’t want to live here forever but am glad I live here for now. However, I’m an outdoorsy person that isn’t into night life like at all so my experience may differ depending on your interests. I feel like Blacksburg and some other nearby smaller towns organize fun things, like FloydFest (a 5-day music festival in nearby Floyd), Steppin’ Out Blacksburg, there’s a line dancing place in Roanoke, etc. The vet school also has social events through clubs and a fraternity (I think?) (as an example there was a bar crawl a month or so ago).

Given that this is your IS, I highly recommend you attend if accepted. Vet school is only 4 years of your life and goes by incredibly fast. You will spend many more years thanking yourself for choosing your cheapest option! :)

I know the question wasn’t directed at me but figured I would chime in so you get a couple perspectives . I was born and raised in Los Angeles and San Diego … basically I’m as big city girl as they come, but I love it here! I wouldn’t want to live here forever but am glad I live here for now. However, I’m an outdoorsy person that isn’t into night life like at all so my experience may differ depending on your interests. I feel like Blacksburg and some other nearby smaller towns organize fun things, like FloydFest (a 5-day music festival in nearby Floyd), Steppin’ Out Blacksburg, there’s a line dancing place in Roanoke, etc. The vet school also has social events through clubs and a fraternity (I think?) (as an example there was a bar crawl a month or so ago).

Given that this is your IS, I highly recommend you attend if accepted. Vet school is only 4 years of your life and goes by incredibly fast. You will spend many more years thanking yourself for choosing your cheapest option! :)
Thanks for the answer! :) It's definitely something I'll really have to think about if I get in

I've heard some of my classmates say that and I think it just depends a lot on where you're from. I actually grew up like 20 minutes from Blacksburg so I didn't really have to make that adjustment. Personally I think there's plenty to do around here, even if what you're looking for isn't directly in Blacksburg, chances are you can find it within less than an hour's drive :)

Looking at this from the perspective that you're IS, please please please don't let the area scare you away. It's not worth putting yourself in twice as much debt (if not more) to go to a more "fun" area, especially considering that more than likely most of your time will be spent at school or studying.

I've heard some of my classmates say that and I think it just depends a lot on where you're from. I actually grew up like 20 minutes from Blacksburg so I didn't really have to make that adjustment. Personally I think there's plenty to do around here, even if what you're looking for isn't directly in Blacksburg, chances are you can find it within less than an hour's drive :)

Looking at this from the perspective that you're IS, please please please don't let the area scare you away. It's not worth putting yourself in twice as much debt (if not more) to go to a more "fun" area, especially considering that more than likely most of your time will be spent at school or studying.
Thanks for the answer! I guess I hadn't taken debt into consideration, which I probably should. At the end of the day I'll be a vet no matter what school I go to, so I guess going to a "cheaper" option If I can might be better.
I was more so leaning towards other schools because I'm more interested in exotics (and also small animals which ik va-md does have tracking for that) and possibly pursing a specialization in pathology, and I don't think va-md is the best for those? But I guess I can just apply for residency somewhere else after I graduate, so It wouldn't really matter where I went to school.