VMRCVM 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I knew a lot of people who boarded at Paris Mountain. The facilities also always looked quite nice and clean. I have no idea pricewise how it compares to others, though, since I have never had a horse.

http://www.parismountainstables.com/

I have an appointment to visit in March :) Everyone has told me great things about them, and when I called they were very nice. They have everything I was looking for, and the price (for all of the services, and a place that I trust) is within my range! Thank you for your help!

Audrey007 I am not sure how long the list is, and they will not tell anyone their ranking or anything. I know last year they went 100% through MD's entire list, but I don't know about OOS or Va. You can always call to ask, however I don't think they will be at liberty to discuss much.

Members don't see this ad.

So for my fellow OOSers I emailed Joyce about that "until the positions are seated" phrase...and it's not the best news.

They DO over-accept. So basically the first 15 accepted OOSers to respond get the 15 seats and the rest of us fall by the wayside.

I don't like feeling so rushed. Deciding where I'm going to live for the next 4+ years is not a quick decision for me. I emailed her a day or two after the decision letters were emailed and she said 6 people had already called to say the check is in the mail! I thought this was supposed to be the less stressful all happy part of the semester! UGH!

do they do this with ISers too?! that seems crazy

Members don't see this ad :)
do they do this with ISers too?! that seems crazy

I just looked at the decision letter again, and it says we have until April 15th to send the check and signed acceptance letter, so it looks like they don't over accept in state students, although I may be long. Has anyone gotten there acceptance letter in the mail yet?

I just looked at the decision letter again, and it says we have until April 15th to send the check and signed acceptance letter, so it looks like they don't over accept in state students, although I may be long. Has anyone gotten there acceptance letter in the mail yet?

I got mine in the mail on Saturday.. I just figured that the earlier I accept, the earlier I can submit the FAFSA & Financial Aid information and kind of have it all behind me.

Just got an e-mail from Joyce saying they've received my deposit and I'm officially on board for c/o 2015!:soexcited: Is anyone from MD planning on going to the orientation on March 3rd and 4th? The e-mail said it's NOT for family and friends, so I was looking for someone who may want to drive together and maybe get a hotel room or something.

My deposit was received yesterday! It still hasn't set in that I am going to vet school!! This is so awesome and crazy!

Someone was telling me that the advanced FAFSA deadline expires today. If you apply before the deadline, you are more likely to receive aid next year.

I am not sure how true this is, everything I see posted states that the priority deadline is March 1st, however I wanted to let you guys know in case there WAS some merit to it. I filed mine today, it was nice not having to claim my parents' income for once, now that I'm in a professional school - they are quite well off, and I have been on my own financially since 18! :p

Also is anyone else looking for living arrangements yet? I have been browsing the web, but I'm not sure where is a good location, or what is a good price for the area.

Is everyone going March 3 and 4? I'm definitely going - I have a lot of questions!

Someone was telling me that the advanced FAFSA deadline expires today. If you apply before the deadline, you are more likely to receive aid next year.

I am not sure how true this is, everything I see posted states that the priority deadline is March 1st, however I wanted to let you guys know in case there WAS some merit to it. I filed mine today, it was nice not having to claim my parents' income for once, now that I'm in a professional school - they are quite well off, and I have been on my own financially since 18! :p

Also is anyone else looking for living arrangements yet? I have been browsing the web, but I'm not sure where is a good location, or what is a good price for the area.

the date is always March 1 and if you have any questions about living in blacksburg feel free to PM me because I have lived here for 5 years

Just wanted to let you know that VMRCVM does offer the federal Health Professional Student Loans. These small loans are at a lower interest rate ~5%? and have better terms than staffords have. To be eligible for this loan, you have to include your parents financial info. You are still considered independent and it doesn't affect any other loans.

If you guys have any questions about anything, post here or PM me!

Is it sad that this will be the first year I fill out FASFA all by myself?... So I am new to it gilch, is there anything special I have to do for this loan or is it something I do when I fill out FASFA. Don't laugh, I seriously have just pushed it over to my mom to fill out the past 5 years...I swear I am a big girl, honest ;)

No worries, I still get parental help filling out this monstrosity :D. You fill out your information and there is a question--do you want to include parental information? You need financial, tax, education, etc. from your parents. This is not necessary for other loans and the Health Professional Student Loans are usually small--1-3000 ish?

I found out about my standard stafford pretty quickly and the health professional one a few months later, I think. A lot of people don't know about this loan so don't include parental info, so don't feel bad!

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries, I still get parental help filling out this monstrosity :D. You fill out your information and there is a question--do you want to include parental information? You need financial, tax, education, etc. from your parents. This is not necessary for other loans and the Health Professional Student Loans are usually small--1-3000 ish?

I found out about my standard stafford pretty quickly and the health professional one a few months later, I think. A lot of people don't know about this loan so don't include parental info, so don't feel bad!

So I have another question then. I have never filled these out so it may be totally obvious, but since I will be a grad student now and not undergrad, do I have to go anywhere different or click on anything new or is it a standard thing that, once sent to the school, they will sort out. I should just start really looking into it, but it would be nice to just have a heads up, and I hate Tech's financial aid office...but that is another story :)

So I have another question then. I have never filled these out so it may be totally obvious, but since I will be a grad student now and not undergrad, do I have to go anywhere different or click on anything new or is it a standard thing that, once sent to the school, they will sort out. I should just start really looking into it, but it would be nice to just have a heads up, and I hate Tech's financial aid office...but that is another story :)

I started on the FAFSA yesterday, and it's definitely confusing. I'm married, so it seems silly to have to use my parents (or in my case mother's) financial info. But, I called the financial aid office yesterday, and they said I definitely needed to supply both my info and my mother's info. The financial aid office also said I needed two pins - one for myself and one for my parents.

I started the application yesterday, and it's the same link for undergraduate and graduate. Once you access the form, select graduate /professional from a drop down list, and just go from there. It asks for 2010 tax info, and of course I haven't done my taxes, yet... Anyway, good luck with the FAFSA BClove21!!

I started on the FAFSA yesterday, and it's definitely confusing. I'm married, so it seems silly to have to use my parents (or in my case mother's) financial info. But, I called the financial aid office yesterday, and they said I definitely needed to supply both my info and my mother's info. The financial aid office also said I needed two pins - one for myself and one for my parents.

I started the application yesterday, and it's the same link for undergraduate and graduate. Once you access the form, select graduate /professional from a drop down list, and just go from there. It asks for 2010 tax info, and of course I haven't done my taxes, yet... Anyway, good luck with the FAFSA BClove21!!

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up. As far as the taxes thing goes, can't you leave it blank and come back and fill it in later when you have it and in the mean time fill everything else out and send it and it still counts as on time? I am pretty sure I had to do that last year, because I remember sending in tax info later. The start of my hate for the financial aid office...

Oh okay thanks for clearing that up. As far as the taxes thing goes, can't you leave it blank and come back and fill it in later when you have it and in the mean time fill everything else out and send it and it still counts as on time? I am pretty sure I had to do that last year, because I remember sending in tax info later. The start of my hate for the financial aid office...

I didn't know you could do that, but it's definitely good to know. Right now, I'm just trying to get our taxes done as quickly as possible so that I can finish it all up.

Oh great... I didn't realize we had to include my parents information - I was excited not to have to.. and I've already submitted the form. Is there anything I can do at this point or am I out of luck until next year...?

Oh great... I didn't realize we had to include my parents information - I was excited not to have to.. and I've already submitted the form. Is there anything I can do at this point or am I out of luck until next year...?

You can go back in revise your information. I went back in to add my parent's information and now that my taxes are done, I have to go back in and revise my info with the exact numbers. I may just wait until my parents have their taxes wrapped up so that I can revise our info at the same time. It's not a problem.

phew! now to get on my parents to DO their taxes... :rolleyes:

Anybody starting to look for places to live/ find roomies? I figure we all need places to live before school starts and we don't have orientation until a few days before classes start, so this thing in March is the only time we will really meet each other before classes start basically...and I can't go to the thing in March. How was anyone else planning on finding roommates?

Hey, have any of the OOS alternates heard anything yet? I haven't.

Fidils

There is a housing list organized by one of the clubs that was pretty helpful to a lot of people in my class--esp if you want to live with an upperclassmen.

Check whatever email you sent to the school and check it often! Some people in my class only got some of the emails because some went to junk mail. I found potential room mates through various emails that went out and I know a few people met through facebook (join your class page!).

As far as living alone--I know there are a number of people that live alone in my class. Blacksburg doesn't really have any shady neighborhoods but I'd stay away from Terrace View and the undergraduate section of Fox Ridge because those can get really busy and noisy. Christiansburg is generally cheaper if you want to rent a house and you can still be pretty close.

There aren't any apartment complexes that are easy walking distance from the school, but there might be some that are an okay bike distance--but you had better have an alternate form of transport when weather gets bad!

Fidils--all of our waitlists moved last year and while I know they work on the instate waitlists before April, they might not start on the OOS right away. Have you called? They won't tell you where you are on the list, but they might tell you when they start calling OOSers.

Anybody starting to look for places to live/ find roomies? I figure we all need places to live before school starts and we don't have orientation until a few days before classes start, so this thing in March is the only time we will really meet each other before classes start basically...and I can't go to the thing in March. How was anyone else planning on finding roommates?

I am! Haha. I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the orientation in March either. I'm actually curious as to what you guys think I should do... I have an exam on the 3rd which my professor IS NOT letting me take early :mad: Class ends at 11am and I'm a good 7-8 hour drive from Blacksburg. I don't know if it would be appropriate to show up late or to just come for the second day. Any thoughts?

Back to the housing/roommate thing... I'm looking for a place with maybe 1-3 other female roommates. I have a 10-year-old, male cat who seems to get along with my current roommate's kitten, so I'd say he's okay with other cats, but I'm obviously fine with any/all pets. I'm also a neat freak, call me crazy but I love to clean. It's not a bad thing, most people tend to like it, haha. I'm really outgoing and personable, I get along with just about everyone. There's nothing I enjoy more than lounging around with my current roommates, watching our favorite TV shows together, running errands together, doing homework/studying, making "family" dinners, etc, etc. I feel like this is turning into a dating game... I also enjoy long walks on the beach and candlelight dinners:love:

I have a friend who goes to VT now and I'm waiting to hear back from her on some good places to live, prices, etc. At my interview they mentioned they would provide contact information for our class so that people could arrange roommates, but I don't know how soon that information will be provided. Feel free to look me up on facebook, Meghan Neal. I'm also a member of the VMRCVM c/o 2015 group :D

Also, check out craigslist. That's where I found my place - I pay a lot for rent but my landlord is awesome, I have my sanity (no roommates) and I have two dogs, two cats and a rabbit with me (plus soon, some geckos :) )

The outer areas of Foxridge are nice. Not the inner undergrad. If you request to live by a main road, its fine. I lived there for two years and liked it until it got too expensive. Yes, avoid Terrace View. Way too much partying. If you can afford it, check out Windsor Hills, and Toms Creek apts (where my b/f lives now). They are nice and quiet. He may be looking for a roomie for Fall until he moves down here (TX) in Dec/Jan, so PM me if you're interested, guy or girl. He's a very laid back dude, works most of the time, very friendly.

Craigslist is a livesaver. It really is. If anyone comes across a mobile home on 2 fenced acres on Thomas Lane (that's where I lived for 2 yrs) definitely take it! The landlords (a family really) are AWESOME.

Last edited:
Any IS (Maryland) alternates hear anything yet?

I haven't read about anyone actually going next week. I am definitely going and very excited about seeing everything and talking to everyone! Anyone else?

I'm thinking about going. Anyone leaving from Richmond, or therabouts. I really don't want to make the drive by myself.

I live in Terrace View now and cant wait to get out. I know about the area (its going on 6 years I have been here) and I have looked on Craigs List and the Off Campus Website, but I was more just looking for other people in the same boat. I just want to find roomies and a place and cross that off my list. my only thing I am interested in is a house with a fenced in back yard, but can be negotiable. So far I have found 2 great places but they are fallen through :/ I think I can actually go to the thing in March on Thursday, so maybe I can meet some of you there!

Congrats to the newcomers! I'm from the class of 2014 :)

I live in Windsor Hills, and it's usually pretty quiet and everyone has animals here. You can run into problems with neighbors not picking up after their dogs, but you will run into that anywhere. Besides, it provides samples for parasitology lab 2nd semester :p But anyway the staff there is really nice if a bit young.

If you're not from the area, keep in mind winter can be really snowy/icy at times, so if you rent someplace on a steep hill, you better have 4WD and/or snow chains! I've heard some hilarious stories...

Craigslist ads start heating up toward May for summertime lease-starts.

Anyway, I will try to pop in here on occasion to help answer questions along with some of my classmates who already have done so :)

And for a bit of mental ease, I am a Marylander and was called off the wait list in March. :luck:

This waiting is killing me. Will they accept people right up til classes start?
I wander how much of a chance I have as an Instate student of getting in...?:confused::scared::confused:

I wander how much of a chance I have as an Instate student of getting in...?:confused::scared::confused:

We had people getting calls up until the weekend before orientation started last year. I don't want to give you false hope, because there are no gaurantees, but I can say they got pretty far down the waitlist last year. One girl who was planning on going to Ross and had already moved there got the call and came back. Another girl was in Columbia and got a call the week before orientation and flew home that weekend to make it in time.

Its hard to say "be patient", because I know I wouldn't be. But I guess just don't give up hope! Things can still happen :)

I'm also a class of 2014er and happy to answer any questions you guys might have!

I have decided to decline my invite to VMRCVM, so there is another seat for you guys! I am OOS and the 15 slots might already be filled, but regardless. I wish you guys the best of luck and enjoy Blacksburg, its beautiful down there!!

Has anyone gotten any further information about the orientation next week? I tried to RSVP last week using the link from the e-mail, but it was closed. I called Dr. Pelzer and she said to just e-mail her to tell her I was coming and she would put me on the list. She also said they would be sending out more information by the weekend, but I haven't gotten anything yet. :confused:

Also, has anyone gotten any further than the FAFSA? I've completed mine (including parent info) and have received confirmation from VT that they have it on file. I'm not sure where to go from here though...

Roscoe,

I have not heard much back for the orientation either. They mentioned providing 1 night's stay but they haven't mentioned where or when or anything of that nature. Very frustrating. As far as FAFSA, I filed mine on February 15th and still haven't heard a confirmation back..

Roscoe,

I have not heard much back for the orientation either. They mentioned providing 1 night's stay but they haven't mentioned where or when or anything of that nature. Very frustrating. As far as FAFSA, I filed mine on February 15th and still haven't heard a confirmation back..

hopefully they put you up at The Inn at Virginia Tech...it is very nice there :)

Does anyone know if there has been any movement on the OOS waitlist? Or if the spots are already filled?

Got the email today about us staying at the Inn!
Also since i have special dietary conditions I got the scoop on everyone's food - Pizza Thursday night and Panera Friday :)

Got the email today about us staying at the Inn!
Also since i have special dietary conditions I got the scoop on everyone's food - Pizza Thursday night and Panera Friday :)

What email? I haven't received one yet!

Could it be for IS students only?

Last edited:

I am not sure... This is the Email I got. You are welcome to sneak in with me if need be :p

"Dear Prospective Students:

Lodging for one night, March 3, has been arranged for you at the Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center. They are located at 901 Prices Fork Road in Blacksburg, VA 24061. Their website is http://www.innatvirginiatech.com/.

This is a group reservation, so there are no confirmation numbers. Just give them your name when you check in.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Patty

Patty Smith
Office Manager"

I didn't get an e-mail either and I'm a Marylander. I plan on calling tomorrow. I'm also staying Friday night too, so if anyone wants to split a hotel room somewhere for the night let me know!

I have looked at a 500 acre farm house that I pretty much fell in love with, and have pretty much sealed the deal with it (although technically it is not official yet). If anyone is interested in a beautiful little farm house about 10 minutes from the vet school on 500 acres(we are not responsible for all that land, it is on a beef cattle farm), I have posted pictures on facebook, just look at my album that says potential house?, my real name is Allyson Ripley. The pictures are good, but they don't do the place justice. It only has one bathroom and two bedrooms (technically 3 but the two upstairs don't have doors and are only separated by the closets and fairly small by themselves, so they are considered one room with two closets, so basically the second floor is all one bedroom) so I am only looking for one other roommate. Rent is 400 a person and utilities are pretty cheap because it is a small cozy house. fb message me or pm me if anyone is interested and I can tell you about the awesome property that goes with the house (it is up on a hill for an awesome view). Think hiking, historical sites, pastures, cows, woods, and Tom's Creek (which will be obvious when you get here). It really is an awesome place and has typically been rented out to vet students in the past. If you let me know soon enough, I can maybe help set up a time for you to see it while you come up Thurs. and Friday. I will be at the orientation Thursday but not Friday so I probably can't go with you.

Hey guys! Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of you tomorrow at the student panel, and on Friday in classes :) If you guys need any help feel free to email myself or any of the other 2014ers here on the board!

Sooo...about that OOS wait list? Anybody hear anything yet?

Has anyone on the Maryland waitlist heard back yet?

Has anyone on the Maryland waitlist heard back yet?

I was waitlisted and declined my spot today. So, hopefully Joyce Massie is making those magical phone calls right now!

I was waitlisted and declined my spot today. So, hopefully Joyce Massie is making those magical phone calls right now!

Almost did what you did last year, but I couldn't bear the cost. Congrats, though!

Thanks! Yeah, the $ comparison was a bit horror-inducing. Fortunately, I have family in the Philadelphia area, so if it gets to be too crazy, I can mooch off my aunt and uncle's couch rather than become homeless. ;)

Hello Class of 2016,

It feels weird to say that, since when I started "class of 2012" seemed so far away :) Anyhow, if anyone is looking for a 9 month rental for a basement apartment in Christiansburg, I am starting to advertise it, it can be found on the Scholar site and it will be on VT off campus housing within a day or two. The full description can be found there, it is a nice space with a pool in the backyard. I just thought I'd post since it was on here that I found my realtor actually from discussions with other SDN members. You can also send me a message on here and I can answer back with more details.

CONGRATULATIONS again! It is going to be hard, but I think you are all going to be very happy here at VT!