Wait-list Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
High quality art, isn't it?
Cookie monster is on a diet. He learned about healthy eating habits at the Tulane teaching kitchen. That's the scene I was going for at least.
Why won't they love us Spector? Why????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Cookie monster is on a diet. He learned about healthy eating habits at the Tulane teaching kitchen. That's the scene I was going for at least.

Why won't they love us Spector? Why????
I really hope Tulane shows you some love. Come on here the guy clearly wants it. I've given up on that one. My GPA isn't great and they haven't told me anything in months. I wish they would reject us already if they're not going to let us in. Or rank the waitlist so we know if we have a shot. Or communicate in any way. Anyway, good luck to both you and @Spector1 . This cycle has been brutal and I'm glad to see both of you have survived it without turning to the dark side of the waitlist

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you holding an acceptance somewhere else?
Hi Gyngyn-
i am holding an acceptance, and am wait listed at my top choice in CA. Is it prudent to address reasons why you'd rather attend dream school over current accepted spot? or does that look bad? Any advice on this subject would be appreciated, i am feeling the need to write one last hail mary letter.

thank you!!

@gyngyn I have one more question about reapplication. when you said most schools set their limit to 3 tries, and some state schools dont have limits, does that mean 3 application cycle attempts or 3 applications to that specific school? do schools you previously havent applied to see how many times you applied?

Hi Gyngyn,

Do you happen to know if there is any wait list movement at New York Medical college?

Thank you for all your help!!

@gyngyn I have one more question about reapplication. when you said most schools set their limit to 3 tries, and some state schools dont have limits, does that mean 3 application cycle attempts or 3 applications to that specific school? do schools you previously havent applied to see how many times you applied?
Schools vary in their response to re-applications. Some schools get their best candidates this way. Others limit the number to only two tries.
Number of attempts usually refers to the number to that school.
Though we do not see applications to other schools, it is often apparent that someone is a re-applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Gyngyn-
i am holding an acceptance, and am wait listed at my top choice in CA. Is it prudent to address reasons why you'd rather attend dream school over current accepted spot? or does that look bad? Any advice on this subject would be appreciated, i am feeling the need to write one last hail mary letter.

thank you!!
If you are holding at a "better" or cheaper school and the CA school accepts such letters, go ahead and send it.
There hasn't really been much activity this year. Their lack of response may have little to do with you and more to do with a full class...

If you are holding at a "better" or cheaper school and the CA school accepts such letters, go ahead and send it.
There hasn't really been much activity this year. Their lack of response may have little to do with you and more to do with a full class...

thank you! Do you recommend stating which school you are holding the acceptance at? or simply implying dream school is better that your current accept for such and such reasons?

thank you! Do you recommend stating which school you are holding the acceptance at? or simply implying dream school is better that your current accept for such and such reasons?
Whatever you do, don't say "dream school!"
We already know where you are holding an acceptance so there is no need to mention it.

UCLA just had another acceptance this afternoon. That's 3 now in the past week. UCLA is proving to be a very good waitlist to be on!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools vary in their response to re-applications. Some schools get their best candidates this way. Others limit the number to only two tries.
Number of attempts usually refers to the number to that school.
Though we do not see applications to other schools, it is often apparent that someone is a re-applicant.
thanks. i would say thats good news. so a school doesnt really have a way of knowing if you applied to other schools before unless you basically write it in your activities or statement

thanks. i would say thats good news. so a school doesnt really have a way of knowing if you applied to other schools before unless you basically write it in your activities or statement
Some schools ask in the secondary.

UCLA just had another acceptance this afternoon. That's 3 now in the past week. UCLA is proving to be a very good waitlist to be on!
I hope this is what their admissions committee meetings look like
Wfo8M4g.jpg

does anyone know if there was an official waitlist notification for ucla?

Sorry bud, but I wasn't holding any acceptances. But hang in there, I have faith it'll all work out for you
Thanks for the info/reality check . Congrats on UCLA though. You should be all kinds of excited. Have you started drinking yet?? If not.... Why? You're going to be a freaking doctor and you're going to UCLA. That's just insane

Reactions: 2 users
Also if your committee letter or whatever is a year old, it can be a pretty solid give away too.

Thanks for the info/reality check . Congrats on UCLA though. You should be all kinds of excited. Have you started drinking yet?? If not.... Why? You're going to be a freaking doctor and you're going to UCLA. That's just insane
Thanks! I'm very excited; been at the top of my list from day 1! Now now, some things aren't appropriate for discussion in such professional settings as SDN :p

@gyngyn for reapplicants who were interviewed do you know of max interview attempts? do you know of state schools or lower tier private schools with the attitude of "we interviewed this candidate twice and he didnt make it off the waitlist, so lets stop inviting him and give new applicants a shot." assuming you had some improvements to your application, would previously interviewed candidates have an almost guaranteed chance of being called again for an interview? I think some schools even re interview rejected applicants and im wondering if you had any insight on this

@gyngyn for reapplicants who were interviewed do you know of max interview attempts? do you know of state schools or lower tier private schools with the attitude of "we interviewed this candidate twice and he didnt make it off the waitlist, so lets stop inviting him and give new applicants a shot." assuming you had some improvements to your application, would previously interviewed candidates have an almost guaranteed chance of being called again for an interview? I think some schools even re interview rejected applicants and im wondering if you had any insight on this
The answer will vary depending on the way the school screens for interviews.
I know schools that essentially do not re-interview. Even when they do, it is due to political reasons and is not really another chance at acceptance. These tend to be competitive private institutions that only interview top candidates. If one of these interviewees (high stats and good on paper) doesn't get in anywhere, the odds that they lack an important executive function is so high that a re-interview is felt to be fruitless.
There are many more schools that interview applicants that are found to be missing something that can reasonably be acquired in the interval between applications.
I cannot recommend a re-application to a school that sent a rejection as their first decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
@gyng
I know schools that essentially do not re-interview. Even when they do, it is due to political reasons and is not really another chance at acceptance. These tend to be competitive private institutions that only interview top candidates. If one of these interviewees (high stats and good on paper) doesn't get in anywhere, the odds that they lack an important executive function is so high that a re-interview is felt to be fruitless.
There are many more schools that interview applicants that are found to be missing something that can reasonably be acquired in the interval between applications.
that makes a lot of sense looking at it from top tier schools perspective. only 1 out of my 4 waitlists were ranked MD schools so hopefully they are more generous. i remember you said once before that some lower tier schools like reapplicants with improvements because its their way of accepting the best applicants they can get

@gyngyn if there were some improvements to applicants who were interviewed but nothing major, should there be little to no change to the personal statement or should adcoms except it compeltely rewritten?

@gyng

that makes a lot of sense looking at it from top tier schools perspective. only 1 out of my 4 waitlists were ranked MD schools so hopefully they are more generous. i remember you said once before that some lower tier schools like reapplicants with improvements because its their of way of accepting the best applicants they can get
These tend to be private schools with a median MCAT around 31.

@gyngyn if there were some improvements to applicants who were interviewed but nothing major, should there be little to no change to the personal statement or should adcoms except it compeltely rewritten?
I recommend a re-write.
There is always a more clear way to express oneself.
When they look at your old ap, you don't want the first thought to be "lazy."

These tend to be private schools with a median MCAT around 31.
that is my general pool of schools that i applied to this past cycle so i think i should stop worrying about being blacklisted lol. thanks again for the helpful advice

@gyngyn Do usually one or two people get accepted very last minute/ the day before orientation from waitlists each year?

FYI, I know someone who was interviewed twice by the same school, then subsequently outright rejected the third cycle.

I cannot recommend a re-application to a school that sent a rejection as their first decision.

To be sure that I'm understanding this correctly: Would you not recommend reapplication to schools who had previously rejected the candidate, pre-interview, even if significant changes have been made (and a couple of years transpired)?

To be sure that I'm understanding this correctly: Would you not recommend reapplication to schools who had previously rejected the candidate, pre-interview, even if significant changes have been made (and a couple of years transpired)?

If someone received a rejection (not a waitlist) after interviewing, I would not recommend a re-application at that school.
A rejection before interview is still a reasonable choice (with significant improvements).

@gyngyn Do usually one or two people get accepted very last minute/ the day before orientation from waitlists each year?
Every so often someone is taken off the waitlist in the week before orientation (even during orientation, sometimes).

They have bad software.
This used to happen a lot.
i would think interviewed candidates from past cycles would have some special tag on the app. or perhaps its one of the schools which does limit 2 application attempts

i would think interviewed candidates from past cycles would have some special tag on the app. or perhaps its one of the schools which does limit 2 application attempts
It used to be really hard to flag before electronic data management.
You had to actually have someone remember from one year to the next.

If someone received a rejection (not a waitlist) after interviewing, I would not recommend a re-application at that school.
A rejection before interview is still a reasonable choice (with significant improvements).

Ahhhhhh, alright. THAT I understand. Thank you :)

What if one was rejected w/o interview during the 1st cycle, then rejected after interview during the 2nd cycle with adcom feedback? Should a 3rd try be encouraged?

What if one was rejected w/o interview during the 1st cycle, then rejected after interview during the 2nd cycle with adcom feedback? Should a 3rd try be encouraged?
I do not recommend re-application if the decision by the committee was to reject.

Hey there,

I interviewed at kcu 10/5 and got waitlisted a few days ago. I was going to write a thank you note bIt i forgot to do so... is it tacky to write a thank you note/email now as long as I don't bring up being waitlisted? I will obviously send in a letter of intent to the admissions board however.

Hey there,

I interviewed at kcu 10/5 and got waitlisted a few days ago. I was going to write a thank you note bIt i forgot to do so... is it tacky to write a thank you note/email now as long as I don't bring up being waitlisted? I will obviously send in a letter of intent to the admissions board however.

Tacky? No. But why bother? They already made their decision to waitlist you and whether or not you send a thank you isn't going to sway you up or down that list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Tacky? No. But why bother? They already made their decision to waitlist you and whether or not you send a thank you isn't going to sway you up or down that list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Some schools will add your thank you letters to your file, so its absence may hurt you more than its presence will benefit you at this point in time. As it is already going to be un-timely, you might consider a hand-written card at this point.