Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how exactly does the waitlist work? If the deadline is May 15 (or April 30 idk) and by the time deposits are due, which shouldn't be more than 2 weeks after that, then shouldn't they already have the class about 95% full by now? Or do they wait a while before calling people off waitlists?

So how exactly does the waitlist work? If the deadline is May 15 (or April 30 idk) and by the time deposits are due, which shouldn't be more than 2 weeks after that, then shouldn't they already have the class about 95% full by now? Or do they wait a while before calling people off waitlists?
Most schools accept more than twice the number needed to fill the class.
If their calculations are correct, they should have a sufficient number to deplete the excess about a month after traffic day (or thereabouts). The schools accepting from their waitlist now under-accepted their total. Those who end up with more than the desired number on day 1 of orientation, over-accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that is still waiting for wait list movement and currently have no acceptances-- a new MD school has opened up recently and is accepting applications to start THIS August:

http://medicine.cnsu.edu

Not a bad idea if you're in need of a plan B.

Why are you spamming thread after thread with this message? Are you a paid representative or something???

Reactions: 1 users
I think this might be around the right time in the year to resurrect the waitlist support group thread.

7 II's, went on 6 interviews
Accepted at 1 great school BUT wait listed at 4 with 3 that I would prefer to attend over the one I was accepted at

Last edited:
5 II's, 1 acceptance, 4 WL's, including my top choice, my own undergrad. I won't lie, it sucks a bit having to walk past the COM to get to research. Can't even avoid it because my lab and the COM are directly across each other. :p

Doubt I'll get any more II's, so I think this is the end of the road for me, as well. Might write my school a LOI + update them beginning of May, but other than that, guess I'll just relax and focus on graduating. I'm still just happy I have an acceptance!

5 II's

1 Waitlist- my top choice
3 more interviews to attend..one next week and one in March
1 Post- Interview Rejection
0 Acceptances!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Up to 3 WL now, 2 from schools with historically little movement. Thanking my lucky stars for my 1 acceptance; otherwise I'd be (way more of) a nervous wreck through May and possibly beyond.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 II's
1 acceptance
1 still waiting to hear
2 waitlists, one at top choice, withdrew from other.

JK I'm not even on the waitlist, it's the waitlist for the waitlist. This sucks. :lame:

2 II and 2 wl. I'm grateful for the interviews but at the same time remain anxious and will be hopeful that May brings me good luck this year.

Reactions: 4 users
4 IIs - two waitlists (une is moving! But not for me), two interviews yet to come but it's a long shot and the interviews are in March when these schools often waitlist

Seriously wish I were less type A and impatient

There is hope! I was wait listed at my first choice school and they called me in March with the big news. Of course by that time, all the good area housing was long gone, but there's worse things to have to deal with.
Don't give up hope! But please, do start planning for next year to secure a good job, etc. doing something that will help your application if you have to apply again.

Reactions: 2 users
1 waitlist from october, 1 DO rejection from january
tumblr_nw3et8AtSl1qzf26uo1_500.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have any info about the University of Wisconsin -Madison waitlist?

2 MD II (one waitlist & one upcoming)
Accepted @ DO

I feel like my life has been on hold for the last half a year... :whistle:

8 interviews, 1 rejection, 1 waitlist, silence from the other 6 for 4+ months. This is agonizing.

High priority waitlist at Einstein, and waitlisted at UVa. Sigh.

Just found out about this thread and I'm ever grateful it exists...and thank you @gyngyn for taking the time to be our unofficial official advisor :) Second cycle applicant here for MD/PhD (hoping we can post MD/PhD here?).

First cycle no interviews no acceptances. Second cycle 1 interview 1 waitlist. This is just a teeny bit agonizing :( Good luck to everyone!!

6 II
1 acceptance
2 waitlists
3 pending

I am so grateful for my acceptance but it's probably my last choice of the schools I've interviewed at. Waiting sucks.

Welp, my interview season is officially over - 5 MD interviews, all turned into wait lists; 1 DO acceptance

I am truly grateful for the interviews I had and for my one acceptance- I honestly wasn't expecting much. Wait listed at my top schools, so now I'll continue to wait anxiously for some movement.

Hoping it works out for us all :)

Hi @gyngyn, if you are willing could you answer some questions I have about how waitlists work. As a member of an Admissions Committee, what would be your reason for waitlisting an applicant? They're good but not good enough? They were too late in the process? The school needs more "wiggle" room? One part of their application (GPA or MCAT) was subpar but was still good in other areas (ECs)? Or do you sometimes waitlist applicants all the while knowing that he/she won't have a chance of getting in?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @gyngyn, if you are willing could you answer some questions I have about how waitlists work. As a member of an Admissions Committee, what would be your reason for waitlisting an applicant? They're good but not good enough? They were too late in the process? The school needs more "wiggle" room? One part of their application (GPA or MCAT) was subpar but was still good in other areas (ECs)? Or do you sometimes waitlist applicants all the while knowing that he/she won't have a chance of getting in?

Thank you in advance!
The Admissions Dean is responsible for admitting a sufficient number to fill the class. This sounds easy. It isn't. Based on historical norms a school may need to accept 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x or some other number to fill, but not exceed the required number of seats. Since no one knows where the students will go, this can be a moving target. Therefore, the dean accepts the calculated number of students preferred by the committee, and waitlists the rest. In a perfect world the number of (over)acceptances results in a perfectly filled class. As you may imagine, under-accepting a little is fine as long as the waitlist has a sufficient number of good candidates. Since we don't know how many we will need, the waitlist should be at least a little larger than projected need. I don't see much point in keeping the ones that were rejected by the committee, but other schools may see it differently.

There are many ways to get on the waitlist. Mostly they are otherwise good candidates for whom there was an insufficient number of votes for immediate acceptance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
a lot of these silent rejects are turning into real rejects around now...

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently on 2 Waitlists and waiting back to hear from a few pre- II. I will also have one invite that I would be waiting to hear from. I will be unreachable by cell phone for 3 days in March. Should I give any of these schools an alternate number? @gyngyn or @Goro maybe you can help me with this..is it still early in the game not to worry?

Last edited:
Waitlisted at my two top choices within less than 24 hours. Hopefully this will turn out fruitful. Luckily I have 1 acceptance to fall back on unlike a lot of individuals which I'm thankful for.

Last edited:
I'm joining the crowd here. I was accepted to Emory (a dream reach for me) but would prefer to attend UTHSCSA (as an OOS) so I can remain with my fiance. The waitlist should be announced by early March so I'm holding out hope that I might be on it. Good luck everyone! I hope y'all get into your top choices. :)

Joining the crowd here. Wait listed at UMass my state school and On einsteins HPWL... Both tend to move but the wait is so long... Both are also my top two schools I interviewed at so the pressures on...