Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing here. And one of the schools I am sitting on a waitlist for has still not resent me this year's secondary! It's the only one I am waiting for. :/
Exact same for me, haven't got my secondary at my waitlisted school..

Members don't see this ad.

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a privilege waiting with you this year.
titanic-movie-violinist.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Sooooooooooooooooo... How late is too late to get accepted off a wait-list when matriculating to another school?

I've seen stories where people withdraw from one school during orientation week to attend their top choice school in which they were wait-listed.

Basically, when should one give up hope for a wait-list spot when matriculating to another school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooooooooooooooo... How late is too late to get accepted off a wait-list when matriculating to another school?

I've seen stories where people withdraw from one school during orientation week to attend their top choice school in which they were wait-listed.

Basically, when should one give up hope for a wait-list spot when matriculating to another school?

Once you matriculate to an allopathic medical school, you are required to withdraw from all waitlists. Usually this means that if you start orientation at one school, you cannot be pulled from the waitlist at another.

Reactions: 1 user
Once you matriculate to an allopathic medical school, you are required to withdraw from all waitlists. Usually this means that if you start orientation at one school, you cannot be pulled from the waitlist at another.

So basically the day before orientation is the absolute last day?

So basically the day before orientation is the absolute last day?
Yes. Even if you don't withdraw, the poaching school is required to notify the donor school who would point out the traffic rule to the potential poacher.

Still on the UCSD waitlist but haven't gotten a secondary from them for this cycle... :wideyed:

Dear Julius,
I'm still holding out hope, but I'm confident that you have also prepared for a re-ap...
Thanks @gyngyn , and for all the advice over the past cycle.

Definitely diving in on this reapp, have all my secondaries in that I've received except Northwestern, which I just got and am currently writing up!

Thanks @gyngyn , and for all the advice over the past cycle.

Definitely diving in on this reapp, have all my secondaries in that I've received except Northwestern, which I just got and am currently writing up!
atta boy!

Reactions: 1 users
will UCLA and SD sent out official rejections soon? I'm assuming no more waitlist movement at this point....?

will UCLA and SD sent out official rejections soon? I'm assuming no more waitlist movement at this point....?
They can still potentially pull someone from the WL after their orientation starts - just as long as the applicant hasn't started orientation at another school. Still, I don't think UCLA sends out official rejections to people on the wait list, just to those rejected post-interview who weren't placed on the wait list at all. IIRC, they don't send out rejection letters to people who didn't get a secondary or an II either.

Miracles do happen...just got accepted to my first choice this morning, during the first day of orientation. Not even the panic of having to completely rearrange my life in 48 hours can squash the incredible revelation that I am going to be a doctor. Definitely a brutal wait, but trust me, this moment is worth it!

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In total agree with @Bad_Fish , there are miracles!!! Finally just got my acceptance email off the waitlist at 3:49PM CST! A week before orientation! All of this waiting has finally paid off; this a lifelong dream come true!!!! I'm in total shock and happiness right now! :D :soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
In total agree with @Bad_Fish , there are miracles!!! Finally just got my acceptance email off the waitlist at 3:49PM CST! A week before orientation! All of this waiting has finally paid off; this a lifelong dream come true!!!! I'm in total shock and happiness right now! :D :soexcited:
That's awesome congrats!

Wait list support group is the best!

I'm excited to begin my first ever game of "hurry up and wait" with you all.

Has anyone received an AAMC Background Check Request while on the wait list?

Has anyone received an AAMC Background Check Request while on the wait list?
I'm on 2 waitlists and have not. Have you? If we get accepted off waitlist sometime in may-july, do we do the background check ASAP after the acceptance?

I'm on 2 waitlists and have not. Have you? If we get accepted off waitlist sometime in may-july, do we do the background check ASAP after the acceptance?
Yes, unless you get a link before that. Sometimes if your name gets close to an acceptance they will go ahead and send the background check.

Joining up, having read all the support in previous years. I am blessed by some acceptances and have been waitlisted at three schools. Let's bit our nails together!

Wait listed at top choice and alma mater :(

I'll bite. 1 acceptance, 4 waitlists all at schools I'd rather go to. Guess it's time to break out those updates and letters of interest!

I'll bite. 1 acceptance, 4 waitlists all at schools I'd rather go to. Guess it's time to break out those updates and letters of interest!
@Ace Khalifa, before you do, it might be helpful to read some of the advice posted by adcoms on the sdn threads (this one included)--even those from previous years. While some (less highly ranked) schools seem to welcome letters of intent (as opposed to letters of interest), others apparently take them as a matter of course. I have read comments from several decision makers who say that EVERYONE on the waitlist sent letters of intent, so those had no positive value--were, in fact, seen as rather annoying. I guess my understanding is that if you send one to a smaller state school whose top candidates are regularly poached by the Big Boys with Impressive Reputations, your letter may have an impact. However, there may be an underlying assumption that you will attend Harvard if Harvard invites you. (Whether that is true or not.) I was thinking along the same lines as you, but after reading the previous posts, decided not to send anything just yet.

Reactions: 1 users
@Ace Khalifa, before you do, it might be helpful to read some of the advice posted by adcoms on the sdn threads (this one included)--even those from previous years. While some (less highly ranked) schools seem to welcome letters of intent (as opposed to letters of interest), others apparently take them as a matter of course. I have read comments from several decision makers who say that EVERYONE on the waitlist sent letters of intent, so those had no positive value--were, in fact, seen as rather annoying. I guess my understanding is that if you send one to a smaller state school whose top candidates are regularly poached by the Big Boys with Impressive Reputations, your letter may have an impact. However, there may be an underlying assumption that you will attend Harvard if Harvard invites you. (Whether that is true or not.) I was thinking along the same lines as you, but after reading the previous posts, decided not to send anything just yet.
Lol Bengali I said letters of INTEREST, not intent. I already sent my letter of INTENT to the school I want to go to the most (combined with an update). This school is also very receptive to updates and LOI's, with I being either INTEREST or INTENT. I wasn't going to send a letter of INTENT to the other 3 schools...that would be unethical since schools talk to each other.

Lol Bengali I said letters of INTEREST, not intent. I already sent my letter of INTENT to the school I want to go to the most (combined with an update). This school is also very receptive to updates and LOI's, with I being either INTEREST or INTENT. I wasn't going to send a letter of INTENT to the other 3 schools...that would be unethical since schools talk to each other.
@Ace Khalifa, you know I'm your sister. No nagging. . .just saying stuff I read (since I have no life, I read just about everything.) Didn't mean to preach, just want everyone to love you. . .

waitlisted at my top choice school---waiting for 3 more decisions that will most likely also yield waitlists at best -_-

1 acceptance back in December, since then it's been 4 wait lists, with two more decisions pending. Just wish I knew why...

I guess on the bright side we don't have to worry too much about deciding where to go when April 30 comes around

7 interviews, 5 wait-lists, and 2 pending. When do I start sending letters of interest or intent?
When you are accepted to an MD school but prefer a "lesser" or more expensive school and after waitlist movement has started at your preferred school.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are accepted to an MD school but prefer a "lesser" or more expensive school and after waitlist movement has started at your preferred school.

Check the schools' policies on sending additional files for review. Your interviewers can help with this, as well as give you an idea how often the committee will review WL, whether letters of interest are taken seriously, etc. Remember that Letter of Intent should only be sent to your top choice. Good luck!!

You're not alone. I had one interview and I'm on one waitlist
Based on what I am seeing on various threads, the waitlists are really starting to move. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Accidentally titled an email to two school as statement of intent. Really was just trying to write a letter to each school showing I had a compelling reason to go there and get off their waitlist. Fiance has a job in one city and both of us have a family support group in the other. Both are instate public schools. Don't want to ruin my chance of getting in to either school and wasn't trying to be deceitful. Is there anything I should do or let it go at this point.

Accidentally titled an email to two school as statement of intent. Really was just trying to write a letter to each school showing I had a compelling reason to go there and get off their waitlist. Fiance has a job in one city and both of us have a family support group in the other. Both are instate public schools. Don't want to ruin my chance of getting in to either school and wasn't trying to be deceitful. Is there anything I should do or let it go at this point.

You're fine.

Let it go. We already know you want in.