Waitlist Survivors c/o 2018!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Wolfvet! Hope you are right! Fingers crossed everyday!! Good luck to you as well!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow can't believe someone heard already

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they will start taking people off the waitlist even if they are still interviewing? If people are declining their acceptance? Or do you think the likelihood is not hearing until after April 15th?

Atlantic Veterinary College:

Auburn:

Florida:

Glasgow:

Guelph:

Illinois:

Iowa State:

KSU:

LSU:

Minnesota:

Mississippi:

Missouri:

Ohio State:

Oklahoma State University:

Oregon State University:

Penn:

Purdue:

Ross University:

Royal Veterinary College:

St. George's University:

Tennessee:

Texas A&M:

Tufts:

Tuskegee:

UC Davis:

University of Calgary:

VMRCVM: Wolfvet (OOS, phone, 3/7/14)

Washington State University:

Western University of Health Sciences:

Just a message to all those that are waiting like I was...never give up. You've make it a long way and the extra wait will only add to your excitement when you get that call! You all have plenty of time, as I've heard people getting seats even up to August, so don't get anxious over the time. I know that every day it's on your mind, but stay faithful and hopeful and it will come. This is my second year applying too, so to all those that don't get the good news they're looking for please let this be inspiration for you as well. Hard-work and determination will pay off in the end. Good luck!
Wow! Someone's been taken off the list. Congratulations! So happy for you!!!

Thanks everyone! I know I won't be the only one, so I hope all of you hear soon as well! I didn't expect to hear back until after April 15th, if at all to be honest!

From what I've heard from at least the schools I've spoken with, "thisisitdvm", is that many of the wait-list invites do come after April 15th, however some could come as soon as days after you're wait-listed or even into July/August. I'm not sure where you applied, but I hope this helps. My best advice is to contact the admissions office from the school's your interested in. I'm sure they'll be happy to see your interest.

Good luck everyone!

I can't wait to see some action on this thread!! Hopefully it happens soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think we will only really start hearing back until on/after April 15th?

Or is it likely we will begin hearing back the week of April 15th?

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is ... Have any of you been accepted elsewhere and wait listed at your first choice? Did you send the deposit to the school you were accepted to or are you waiting until right before April 15th ?

I am hoping that people who have been accepted have already made a deposit and are opting out of the schools that they were accepted to but not attending. Hopefully that will open up spots for us! Praying we all hear soon. :( This isn't fun!

Reactions: 1 users
Basically what I'm trying to figure out is ... Have any of you been accepted elsewhere and wait listed at your first choice? Did you send the deposit to the school you were accepted to or are you waiting until right before April 15th ?
I was accepted at one school and waitlisted at my top choice. I am waiting until the week before the 15th to put my deposit down. If I end up getting into my top choice then I will just take my loss on the deposit. I think it is possible that people will hear back the week before/ of the deadline but I'm guessing most activity will be shortly after April 15th

I was accepted at one school and waitlisted at my top choice. I am waiting until the week before the 15th to put my deposit down. If I end up getting into my top choice then I will just take my loss on the deposit. I think it is possible that people will hear back the week before/ of the deadline but I'm guessing most activity will be shortly after April 15th

I also believe that it depends upon which schools you are waiting to hear from. Some of the colleges have deadlines for deposits of March 15 and some are April 15 (and some may vary from there). The school that I was accepted to is April but I'm waitlist end at my top two which are March. So I think some movement could start happening at some of the schools.

If I'm wrong about this please feel free to let me know. It will save me some stress in the next two weeks ;-)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also believe that it depends upon which schools you are waiting to hear from. Some of the colleges have deadlines for deposits of March 15 and some are April 15 (and some may vary from there). The school that I was accepted to is April but I'm waitlist end at my top two which are March. So I think some movement could start happening at some of the schools.

If I'm wrong about this please feel free to let me know. It will save me some stress in the next two weeks ;-)

Which schools have March deadlines if you don't mind me asking?

I don't believe schools are allowed to have March deadlines??

At the information session that I attended at Cornell I was told that they had a March deadline (which I specifically asked about as I wanted to know if their deadline was the same as Minnesota's). However I just found on their website that it does indeed say April. That's frustrating. I stand corrected and apologize for the misinformation.

Maybe March was the FAFSA deadline?

Perhaps, or maybe she misunderstood my question or simply misspoke...who knows. Again so sorry for any misinformation.

When was the FAFSA deadline, since someone said March above? I'm doing mine now since I'm panicking, but I haven't seen any deadlines on school websites for FAFSA nor have I heard from them when their deadline for it was :[

When was the FAFSA deadline, since someone said March above? I'm doing mine now since I'm panicking, but I haven't seen any deadlines on school websites for FAFSA nor have I heard from them when their deadline for it was :[
I thought it was like February 15th or something. But if you do it now I bet it's okay

For us (for scholarship purposes) it was back in February. I think it usually is in March...

At the information session that I attended at Cornell I was told that they had a March deadline (which I specifically asked about as I wanted to know if their deadline was the same as Minnesota's). However I just found on their website that it does indeed say April. That's frustrating. I stand corrected and apologize for the misinformation.
From what I understand, April 15 is the real deadline for deposits at all(?) schools. When I was at OSU for my interview day they said if any school tells you you have to pay them sooner than that, something weird is going on and to inquire further. For Cornell the date is definitely April, but I know there were a few things due in March, like the Dean's Certification and the financial aid info.

priority deadline was march 15, but you can still submit it.. just do it ASAP

I emailed both schools I was waitlisted at and asked what are the chances I will hear back before April 15th. They both told me it will probably be after April 15th. So I sent my deposit in to OSU

I emailed both schools I was waitlisted at and asked what are the chances I will hear back before April 15th. They both told me it will probably be after April 15th. So I sent my deposit in to OSU
Off topic, but I really like your avatar photo. Also, congrats!

The cow lol
The brony in me is disspointed in you

The cow was just for ww. I wasnt a cow (or a sheep) I was a wolf. Mwuahhahahahaha.

Haven't changed it yet :)

Dear April 15th, Please come faster! I'm going crazy here!

Reactions: 10 users
I thought it was like February 15th or something. But if you do it now I bet it's okay
I haven't done a Fafsa in a while, but I thought the deadline was in June. How could a deadline be in February when tax stuff isn't required to be given out until the end of January? Im confused :( I'm still waiting on my accountant to finish up last years taxes.

I haven't done a Fafsa in a while, but I thought the deadline was in June. How could a deadline be in February when tax stuff isn't required to be given out until the end of January? Im confused :( I'm still waiting on my accountant to finish up last years taxes.
You can put your best estimates into FAFSA and then do a "FAFSA corrections" thing later. I thought the deadline was later too, so I didn't do it yet. I think it might be a priority deadline in February for school-specific scholarships that require the FAFSA?

I just got my financial aid award thing and it sucks! Like do graduates not qualify for subsidized loans anymore or something?

I just got my financial aid award thing and it sucks! Like do graduates not qualify for subsidized loans anymore or something?

What I was told is no, we do not unfortunately:(

Oddly, it makes me feel better that it's not just me who is getting screwed over financially. There should be a mandatory "how to survive $300,000 debt" course for all vet school students lol.

Reactions: 2 users

The government nixed subsidized loans for graduate students in summer of 2012 (I think). I just imagine all the people involved with that decision as old dudes, sitting in an office, laughing while rubbing their hands together, drinking some 20-year old scotch... Stupid government.

Reactions: 3 users
What I was told is no, we do not unfortunately:(
So do we only qualify for like the 20k they give as an estimate when you submit your FAFSA? I thought I saw somewhere that vet students should get enough to cover the cost of attendance for the school you're attending. Why are loans such a pain in the neck?

Yeah I thought we got up to $40,500 then any remaining balance had to go to GradPLUS loans...?

Dunno. Looked at the loans they were offering me and how high the interest rate was and died on the inside.

They gave me an estimate for cost of attendance and covered all of it except $400. They are just really crappy loans. But private loans are generally worse soooo....rock, meet hard place.

So do we only qualify for like the 20k they give as an estimate when you submit your FAFSA? I thought I saw somewhere that vet students should get enough to cover the cost of attendance for the school you're attending. Why are loans such a pain in the neck?
I'm not sure :( I mean usually the total COA is covered, but I believe (could be totally wrong though- I hate loan stuff...) that we are only offered loans (at least at the schools I talked to) that accrue interest during school.

The Health Professions Loan doesn't accrue interest during deferment, but it's not given to many people who apply for it. I believe it's considered a subsidized loan still. And yes, as health professionals, we should all be eligible for the $40,500 through Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loan Program. It may take a bit for the correct amount to appear. My FAFSA has been accepted and received, but won't be posted until the summer (according to my school's fin-aid site).

The government nixed subsidized loans for graduate students in summer of 2012 (I think). I just imagine all the people involved with that decision as old dudes, sitting in an office, laughing while rubbing their hands together, drinking some 20-year old scotch... Stupid government.
If by "government" you mean Congress, then, yes, those old dudes are to blame via the 2011 Budget Control Act. They saved Pell grants for undergrads and scrapped subsidized loans for grad school.

It makes me feel better that this thread hasn't exploded yet. I'll only start getting nervous when tons of people start posting acceptances on here. I seriously doubt I'm gonna get a call anyway but there is still part of me that is curious to see what happens in a couple of weeks.

April 1st, guys! We're in the home stretch now! (Hopefully) by the end of the month we will all be called off the wait list!

Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully none of the vet schools try calling for acceptance offers today, and end up ending their statements with April Fools...

Last edited:
13 more days, so anxious, I have gotten in 1 school but I am waitlisted at my number 1 &2 choices, I want to start finalizing my plans

Reactions: 4 users
I was waitlisted at Mississippi, Tennessee, and Lincoln. Just got pulled off the waitlist at Lincoln two days ago!

Reactions: 11 users
13 more days, so anxious, I have gotten in 1 school but I am waitlisted at my number 1 &2 choices, I want to start finalizing my plans
I'm in the same boat!