West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Southampton Hospital. There are a couple other OOS sites, but they are allocated to a region. So this NY site is in the Eastern region of statewide campus.

http://www.wvsom.edu/Academics/swc-sites

EDIT: Also, if you are at a base site on the west side of the state, you have the option to do an EM rotation in Toledo, OH at their level 1 trauma center. There is also an optional 3 month rotation you can do in Chillicothe, OH, just to name a couple more sites that aren't listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I looked over this thread and did not find the secondary prompts/questions. (or I may have skipped over it). Would someone be willing to post them pleeeeasssssee?! Thank you in advance

any thoughts on the SAE part of the interview?

This may be a dumb question, and maybe I'm getting too excited and ahead of myself, but to current students, or anyone that has been accepted, on the applicant status page it says "Accept Applicant." Is that good enough news to get excited about? I haven't received a letter in the mail yet since I just interviewed on the 8th of September

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
This may be a dumb question, and maybe I'm getting too excited and ahead of myself, but to current students, or anyone that has been accepted, on the applicant status page it says "Accept Applicant." Is that good enough news to get excited about? I haven't received a letter in the mail yet since I just interviewed on the 8th of September

I found out the same way. Unless they changed it since I matriculated 3 years ago, you're accepted! I got my official mail letter about a week later. Good work mayne

Anyone who's interviewed mind sharing how it went? I go for mine 9/26

Very relaxed. They ask more about you and what you can bring to the table than what you know.

So it wasn't the MMI format that people suggested? Also do you have to pay for the supplemental application before you get to the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!! I think you're in :)

"What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?"
How did you guys go about answering this question? I feel like this is a make or break question and I don't want to mess it up.

For those interviewing soon, the WVSOM entry on the AACOM Manual page provides the following description concerning its format:

Interview format: A 30-minute, open file personal interview includes a clinician, a basic science professor and the Director of Admissions or Admissions Program Administrator. In addition to the traditional interview, communication skills are evaluated. A campus tour is also provided.

If anyone has a more updated version or can shed light onto the amount of MMI content, I would really appreciate it! Starting to prepare for mine :)

Thanks in advance!

If anyone has a more updated version or can shed light onto the amount of MMI content, I would really appreciate it! Starting to prepare for mine

No one will tell you about it because they signed a contract not to. Just be yourself and don't stress. The whole day is just about getting to know you as a person.

Reactions: 1 user

Stats?

You got an interview and an acceptance with those stats!?!? No offense, but wow good stuff. What were your extracurricular activities?

None taken. I'm surprised myself without the second MCAT score. Just totally bombed the first one.

But I was a 4 year collegiate football player, medical treatment based study abroad trips, years of D.O. observation, years of medical scribe work, and I'm good with people and interviews.

And again, I don't know if I've actually been accepted. I'm worried it's a notification for a different reason.

Reactions: 1 users
None taken. I'm surprised myself without the second MCAT score. Just totally bombed the first one.

But I was a 4 year collegiate football player, medical treatment based study abroad trips, years of D.O. observation, years of medical scribe work, and I'm good with people and interviews.

And again, I don't know if I've actually been accepted. I'm worried it's a notification for a different reason.

Let us know what happens!

Third year checking in. Just started clinical rotations. Happy to answer any questions regarding applying, the school, Lewisburg area, etc. etc. Good luck this year!
Hey!

So I received an interview but can't find an honest account of living in Lewisburg, WV. I went to a school in a city very similar but noone on this site talks about living in the area from a student perspective. Would you mind giving insight into this subject? (the town, activities around town outside of hiking, how the people are... etc.) Thanks so much!

Can anyone talk about Lewisburg in regards to the climbing nearby? Are weekend/afternoon trips to new river gorge realistic?

Congrats, if you decided to come to WVSOM, welcome to the WVSOM family!!!

Hey!

So I received an interview but can't find an honest account of living in Lewisburg, WV. I went to a school in a city very similar but noone on this site talks about living in the area from a student perspective. Would you mind giving insight into this subject? (the town, activities around town outside of hiking, how the people are... etc.) Thanks so much!

First year student here, living in the Lewisburg is more or less living in any small city. Lewisburg isn't like Baltimore or NYC or DC or any large city but the city does have its charms. The people here are friendly and down to earth and will want to get to know you better. In terms of food, there is a lot of fast food places/drive thru but in the downtown area there are a few good restaurants (a little pricey). About a 20 min drive you got the Greenbrier Resort which has a lot of dine in options (and again expensive). In terms of housing, when you get accepted you will be able to start finding housing and WVSOM will provide you resources in terms of finding housing (since there aren't any dorming options). But if you use the resources the school provides you will be able to find housing you should have a lot of issues and the landlords will know that you are an O student and are extremely helpful in getting you settled. In terms of fun activities there are a lot of hiking trails around Lewisburg and white water rafting. The nearest shopping center is in Roanoke which is about 45 miles or so away but because of the mountains the trip usually takes 1.5 hrs. Overall it isn't a bad place to be for your two years you are on campus. In terms of crime, we had a talk by an officer from the Lewisburg PD during orientation and from the looks of it, there isn't really a lot of crime in the area. Usually it is small time stuff like people breaking into cars because they saw something valuable in plain view, etc. On campus, you have the WV state troopers providing security and their barracks are on campus so it is pretty safe in my book. So I know I am making Lewisburg sound like it came straight from a chamber of commerce brochure but it is a really nice town.

My advice for you all is that, when you get an interview and are on campus, admissions does a really good job with giving you all the information you need and will answer any questions you have. Also, if it feels awkward asking them some questions, during your lunch (which they provide) you will get to talk to some second years who would give you more information about all aspects of being a student here.

PS: on a side note, I know a lot of you guys are asking about time from your submitting your secondaries to providing you an interview; but I don't think there is a specific turn around time from one step to another. I know you guys are nervous and application/interview season is driving you up the walls but have faith in the process and if the admissions committee like you, you will get an interview.

PSS: there is also no point in asking about the SAE because everyone who went through it have to sign a non-disclosure agreement that they wouldn't talk about it and during my interview last year we were also given a talk about not sharing any information. Just know that this is a forum and every admissions office know about SDN and will monitor this site for any violation of this. The only advice I can give about the SAE and any interview in general is be yourself and let your actions and personality show. If admissions gave you an interview, it is because they see your potential and want to get to know you as a person so all you have to do is show them who you are and let them decide if you are right for the next incoming class.

Sorry for this essay but hope this help answer all your questions.

Last edited:
First year student here, living in the Lewisburg is more or less living in any small city. Lewisburg isn't like Baltimore or NYC or DC or any large city but the city does have its charms. The people here are friendly and down to earth and will want to get to know you better. In terms of food, there is a lot of fast food places/drive thru but in the downtown area there are a few good restaurants (a little pricey). About a 20 min drive you got the Greenbrier Resort which has a lot of dine in options (and again expensive). In terms of housing, when you get accepted you will be able to start finding housing and WVSOM will provide you resources in terms of finding housing (since there aren't any dorming options). But if you use the resources the school provides you will be able to find housing you should have a lot of issues and the landlords will know that you are an O student and are extremely helpful in getting you settled. In terms of fun activities there are a lot of hiking trails around Lewisburg and white water rafting. The nearest shopping center is in Roanoke which is about 45 miles or so away but because of the mountains the trip usually takes 1.5 hrs. Overall it isn't a bad place to be for your two years you are on campus. In terms of crime, we had a talk by an officer from the Lewisburg PD during orientation and from the looks of it, there isn't really a lot of crime in the area. Usually it is small time stuff like people breaking into cars because they saw something valuable in plain view, etc. On campus, you have the WV state troopers providing security and their barracks are on campus so it is pretty safe in my book. So I know I am making Lewisburg sound like it came straight from a chamber of commerce brochure but it is a really nice town.

My advice for you all is that, when you get an interview and are on campus, admissions does a really good job with giving you all the information you need and will answer any questions you have. Also, if it feels awkward asking them some questions, during your lunch (which they provide) you will get to talk to some second years who would give you more information about all aspects of being a student here.

PS: on a side note, I know a lot of you guys are asking about time from your submitting your secondaries to providing you an interview; but I don't think there is a specific turn around time from one step to another. I know you guys are nervous and application/interview season is driving you up the walls but have faith in the process and if the admissions committee like you, you will get an interview.

PSS: there is also no point in asking about the SAE because everyone who went through it have to sign a non-disclosure agreement that they wouldn't talk about it and during my interview last year we were also given a talk about not sharing any information. Just know that this is a forum and every admissions office know about SDN and will monitor this site for any violation of this. The only advice I can give about the SAE and any interview in general is be yourself and let your actions and personality show. If admissions gave you an interview, it is because they see your potential and want to get to know you as a person so all you have to do is show them who you are and let them decide if you are right for the next incoming class.

Sorry for this essay but hope this help answer all your questions.
This is absolutely wonderful. I appreciate you giving me so much insight and I look forward to interviewing there in a couple of weeks!!!

Just submitted my secondary here! Hoping for a crazy fast response like some of you guys are getting (1 day between secondary submitted and II is crazy). For those of you wondering about the checklist and LOR's correlation, the secondary complete email says verbatim "Concerning letters of recommendation: All electronically submitted letters of recommendation (AACOMAS, Interfolio or Virtual Eval) are available to our office for review purposes, but are not posted to your checklist until an interview has been scheduled and confirmed." so no, there is no correlation since you have to acknowledge and schedule the interview.

Can anyone talk about Lewisburg in regards to the climbing nearby? Are weekend/afternoon trips to new river gorge realistic?

I'm not a climber or anything, but 0ne of my classmates said the climbing is not great/non-existent in the area. Just passing on what I heard :) I think he does pretty hard core stuff so maybe it's just not great in comparison.

Hey!

NY2015 pretty much detailed Lewisburg correctly. One thing I tell prospective medical students is not to necessarily choose a medical school based on local amenities/things to do. You will be plenty busy with medical school and campus activities.

However, you will be living in the community so it is important to know what living in the area is like. If you like to be outdoors, Lewisburg and WV in general is a superb place to be. I'm an avid biker/runner and Greenbrier county has some of the best cycling roads in the region. Camping is free and ubiquitous on the Greenbrier River Trail. State parks are also free. You're always a short jaunt from New River Gorge for some good hiking and rafting. So much stuff to do outside.

If you're looking for nightlife/clubs, you will be disappointed. The Asylum, a local restaurant/bar, provides live music on weekends and has a good ambiance, but that's really all there is in town. If you thrive in that setting, most students have house parties or have game nights.

Since Lewisburg is a small, intimate community, you have plenty of options to get involved. For example, I helped coach the high school wrestling team during my two years in Lewisburg. The head coach gave me a call and asked if I would be willing to volunteer my time since they needed help. I was able to rack up tons of volunteer hours by doing something I really enjoyed. If I went to school in a large city, that opportunity wouldn't have been there.

If you're coming from a large city setting, it will be a bit of a shock. But overall, Lewisburg and the surrounding community is a great place to learn medicine and grow as a person.

@Tri4thlete
Thanks for the honest feedback. To be quite honest, coming from a really big city (Miami), it's hard to ever get the chance to get away from the city. Being in a beautiful rural place seems perfect for medical school (as if you had the time to go out much as a medical student anyways).

A big question I have is how exactly does WVSOM "take care" of their students? I have heard many MS from there say this and I am curious as to exactly how the school does this (or examples of them doing so)?

@Tri4thlete
Thanks for the honest feedback. To be quite honest, coming from a really big city (Miami), it's hard to ever get the chance to get away from the city. Being in a beautiful rural place seems perfect for medical school (as if you had the time to go out much as a medical student anyways).

A big question I have is how exactly does WVSOM "take care" of their students? I have heard many MS from there say this and I am curious as to exactly how the school does this (or examples of them doing so)?

WVSOM is ONLY a medical school. We are their only focus. As a result, they form personal connections with us and are very receptive to feedback. When we as a class want something changed in the curriculum, they work with us to get it changed or optimized. I didn't go to all our class meetings, but I went to a couple and they are open to anyone in the class. They consisted of us talking with faculty/staff about the current state of our environment and what we can do to make it better. One specific example was having our last cardiology final a few days or a full week before our Christmas break. We analyzed the pros and cons of doing it earlier/later and came to a decision that the students and faculty could agree on.

Every faculty/staff that I have ever had the chance to meet on campus has been nothing but nice. They genuinely care about how you are doing on and off campus. It's hard to explain over the computer, but if you attend WVSOM, you will know what I mean!

WVSOM is ONLY a medical school. We are their only focus. As a result, they form personal connections with us and are very receptive to feedback. When we as a class want something changed in the curriculum, they work with us to get it changed or optimized. I didn't go to all our class meetings, but I went to a couple and they are open to anyone in the class. They consisted of us talking with faculty/staff about the current state of our environment and what we can do to make it better. One specific example was having our last cardiology final a few days or a full week before our Christmas break. We analyzed the pros and cons of doing it earlier/later and came to a decision that the students and faculty could agree on.

Every faculty/staff that I have ever had the chance to meet on campus has been nothing but nice. They genuinely care about how you are doing on and off campus. It's hard to explain over the computer, but if you attend WVSOM, you will know what I mean!

That is amazing! Coming from a huge University, you rarely get that kind of experience with Faculty. You guys seem to be one of the proudest and positive MS students and your feedback has definitely shot up WVSOM in my personal list. Thanks for the feedback! If I'm blessed with an interview, I'll definitely be annoying you and other MS some more :) .

Im a student here too, and honestly I come from a urban city too but if you do things right, youll have just enough time where you will want to catch up on sleep, watch a movie at home, or simply go out to dinner with friends. Lewisburg, WV is a great place to be. The people are very friendly and the school indeed does care for you a lot. Plus, they have the nicest admissions department I have ever seen. Love this place.

Just to add on to Tri4thlete's point about WVSOM's support of the students, the administration itself has invested a lot into us and want us to succeed. Everyone you meet on campus ranging from the custodians to the people in the various offices want to meet and get to know you better. I mean just the other day, I spend a few minutes just randomly talking to someone from the alumni center and on another day I saw a second year practicing OPP on one of the maintenance people. So in all it is one big community. In terms of the support, I don't know the specifics but I heard this from another first year who researched the school before applying and he mentioned how a lot of the money that comes into the school via tuition and stuff goes back to the students. If you want to know the specifics you can always speak with admissions and get the exact number or stats. In terms of academic support, wvsom has various support systems ranging from tutoring to emotional/study habits support through the ASPIRE office. So basically the school throws everything it can possibility can to support your 4 years as a student.

Submitted my secondary last night! Looking forward to a potential II here since I'm a current resident in WV!!

Submitted mine last night as well! The more I research the school the more I really want to get a II so I can see it in person.

I completely agree. I've heard so many good things about this school! The DO I shadowed went to WVSOM and gave it nothing but praise.

Having now interviewed here and at another school that is widely considered a "top" DO school and very established program I can say that there is nothing that this school lacks in comparison to the other. In fact, I got a better vibe from this school and can really see myself attending here. And I'm not talking facilities (which were great at both schools) but in rotations, board study time and performance, and things like mandatory lectures and availability for early clinic exposure.

This school is honestly a diamond in the rough and gets overlooked I think because it is in such a small town and has a strong rural PC mission. I came away thoroughly impressed.

The acceptance letter officially came in the mail today. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Quick question: How long does it usually take for the app status to go from "In Process - Decision Pending" to getting an answer? (Either II or waitlist/rejection).

Is an interview in late October considered late for this school?
Does anybody know how quickly the fill up or how many seats they have available?

What is the timeline of decision notification after an interview?

Is an interview in late October considered late for this school?
Does anybody know how quickly the fill up or how many seats they have available?

Bruhhh are you serious. People don't even fill out DO apps until sept/oct

Reactions: 4 users