West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on Monday, found out I was accepted yesterday!! can't believe the turnaround time!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed on Monday, found out I was accepted yesterday!! can't believe the turnaround time!
Jealous! The wait to hear was torture! Congrats though, looking forward to meeting all my future classmates :)

II yesterday!! Will be interviewing Wednesday Jan. 29th! Any insight from those that have already interviewed on what the actual interview with staff is like?

II yesterday!! Will be interviewing Wednesday Jan. 29th! Any insight from those that have already interviewed on what the actual interview with staff is like?
Like everyone else has said, it is very laid-back and the admissions staff is so nice. I was worried that interviewing in the afternoon would make me a stressed out mess all morning, but the staff and students really put you at ease. The interview is very conversational, and you will hear throughout the day (especially during lunch with current students) to scrap any rehearsed responses. Just be genuine, and other than knowing how to explain why you want to be a doctor and why you want to go to school there, I don't think the questions are very predictable. In my experience, it seemed that all three interviewers were familiar with my file and asked questions directly related to items on my application. They are not trying to stump you or throw you off guard like some interviews I have read about, they really are just trying to get to know you.

Like everyone else has said, it is very laid-back and the admissions staff is so nice. I was worried that interviewing in the afternoon would make me a stressed out mess all morning, but the staff and students really put you at ease. The interview is very conversational, and you will hear throughout the day (especially during lunch with current students) to scrap any rehearsed responses. Just be genuine, and other than knowing how to explain why you want to be a doctor and why you want to go to school there, I don't think the questions are very predictable. In my experience, it seemed that all three interviewers were familiar with my file and asked questions directly related to items on my application. They are not trying to stump you or throw you off guard like some interviews I have read about, they really are just trying to get to know you.

Thanks!

I was interiewed by three members. All were real nice and laid back. They asked me most of the questions out of my personal statement. Their intention seemed like they wanted to know what I was about. No trick questions. It was my first interview, but I felt real comfortable. They made me feel comortable. Great experience. I heard back a week later, and was accepted. Wohoo, super excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

I received an interview invite on Wednesday and am scheduled for February 5th. So far I'm very impressed with the school based on what everyone has said on these forums and the schools website resources.

Does anybody have any idea roughly how full the class should be by now? It seems like a lot of acceptances have been given out just based on sdn acceptance replies....I'm very excited to interview just nervous that there aren't many spots left

Hello everyone!

I received an interview invite on Wednesday and am scheduled for February 5th. So far I'm very impressed with the school based on what everyone has said on these forums and the schools website resources.

Does anybody have any idea roughly how full the class should be by now? It seems like a lot of acceptances have been given out just based on sdn acceptance replies....I'm very excited to interview just nervous that there aren't many spots left

Don't know how many spots are left. However, some people will drop their seats on March 15th. So keep your hopes up.

Does anyone know when they look at applicants who were deferred pre-interview?

I'd like to know when they review deferred people pre and post interview. I'm post-interview deferred since October...meh.

I'd like to know when they review deferred people pre and post interview. I'm post-interview deferred since October...meh.

I'm assuming post-interview deferred will end up being for their waitlist

Woah. How weird! How are your EC's?
I'd say that they are up to sdn standards; got lots of research, got jobs, got volunteering (clinical and nonclinical), and plenty of leadership.

might be the gpa but i feel like the MCAT is well above avg for wvsom. weird.
I suppose being so late in the cycle that any decision is as good as a dice roll at this point.

I was interiewed by three members. All were real nice and laid back. They asked me most of the questions out of my personal statement. Their intention seemed like they wanted to know what I was about. No trick questions. It was my first interview, but I felt real comfortable. They made me feel comortable. Great experience. I heard back a week later, and was accepted. Wohoo, super excited.

Congrats! Are you going to accept?

I was initially deferred, until my fall 2013 grades came in. The day that they were updated with AACOMAS and released to the school I got my II through email. I think you should call to find out why you are currently on deferred status. When I called they were very helpful in letting me know exactly why I was defrred.

Hello everyone!

Interview questions for me:
What did you like about the campus tour? ( only if you interview in the afternoon they will ask this)
Where do you see yourself practicing? like urban rural, etc
Have you ever seen OMM? Can you describe your reaction to it?
Can you describe any class you took that was very difficult and how you responded to it?
I think they asked why do and why wvsom but i dont remember it specifically

For those of you that interviewed already - I'm renting a car (since I fly iinto Roanoke), is there parking available for interviewees at the school? Also - no one on here is interviewing on Jan 27?

For those of you that interviewed already - I'm renting a car (since I fly iinto Roanoke), is there parking available for interviewees at the school? Also - no one on here is interviewing on Jan 27?

If I remember correctly, there were more than enough parking spots available on campus.

I was there last week, plenty of parking. There was no designated area for visitors, just park anywhere near the admissions building.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say that they are up to sdn standards; got lots of research, got jobs, got volunteering (clinical and nonclinical), and plenty of leadership.

I suppose being so late in the cycle that any decision is as good as a dice roll at this point.

I got completed in October too.

does anyone know if WVSOM are willing to give extensions for the second deposit? haven't completely decided yet ....

Interview questions for me:
What did you like about the campus tour? ( only if you interview in the afternoon they will ask this)
Where do you see yourself practicing? like urban rural, etc
Have you ever seen OMM? Can you describe your reaction to it?
Can you describe any class you took that was very difficult and how you responded to it?
I think they asked why do and why wvsom but i dont remember it specifically
Hi - Quick Q:

My interview is on Monday, Jan 27 and I'm prepping. Did they ask you your specific interest in rural medicine? Also did they ask you any questions about controversial topics such as abortion/doctor assisted suicide, etc...?

Hi - Quick Q:

My interview is on Monday, Jan 27 and I'm prepping. Did they ask you your specific interest in rural medicine? Also did they ask you any questions about controversial topics such as abortion/doctor assisted suicide, etc...?

I was not asked anything controversial/ethical. I was asked if I see myself practicing in an urban or rural environment but was not asked to elaborate on a particular interest in rural medicine.

Hi - Quick Q:

No they didn't ask me about any of those topics. Actually I was expecting them to ask because I am not from a rural area. (suburbs in Delaware). I basically said that I was interested in practice in a small town in the future. I really do not think they will ask you anything controversial. I suppose they might ask you questions from your secondary and there was one question on the application about an ethically challenging situation.

I was not asked anything controversial/ethical. I was asked if I see myself practicing in an urban or rural environment but was not asked to elaborate on a particular interest in rural medicine.
No they didn't ask me about any of those topics. Actually I was expecting them to ask because I am not from a rural area. (suburbs in Delaware). I basically said that I was interested in practice in a small town in the future. I really do not think they will ask you anything controversial. I suppose they might ask you questions from your secondary and there was one question on the application about an ethically challenging situation.
Thank you both! Good luck with the process :)

Phone Call. was playing a game while relaxing on an extra day off of work from the Operating room..... figured I'd just let the unknown number go to voicemail and call back.... then I remembered its thursday (day after they review apps) :p

Complete on 9/30 but low GPA 3.2 sgpa 23 mcat. Also RN at a hospital 5 miles from the school though.

Phone Call. was playing a game while relaxing on an extra day off of work from the Operating room..... figured I'd just let the unknown number go to voicemail and call back.... then I remembered its thursday (day after they review apps) :p

Complete on 9/30 but low GPA 3.2 sgpa 23 mcat. Also RN at a hospital 5 miles from the school though.
congrats. hopefully those calls keep coming today.

woohoo!.. Just got an interview!

Congrats!! When were you complete please ?
Thank You!.. well, I never got a "complete" email.. but I submitted my secondary application on 11/22 and gave them a call mid December and was advised that everything was complete.

Thank You!.. well, I never got a "complete" email.. but I submitted my secondary application on 11/22 and gave them a call mid December and was advised that everything was complete.

Mind letting us know when your interview is scheduled for?

Also, I haven't seen many acceptances here lately....

Mind letting us know when your interview is scheduled for?

Also, I haven't seen many acceptances here lately....
My interview is scheduled for 02/12... I have not seen any acceptances here lately either. Does anyone know how full the class is so far?

My interview is scheduled for 02/12... I have not seen any acceptances here lately either. Does anyone know how full the class is so far?

I'm curious about that as well. I'm also dying to know my fate. I really wanna go here haha. I've seen in past threads people were getting accepted from interviews into March a little bit - granted every year is different, but it can't deviate too, too much.

I'm curious about that as well. I'm also dying to know my fate. I really wanna go here haha. I've seen in past threads people were getting accepted from interviews into March a little bit - granted every year is different, but it can't deviate too, too much.
I agree with you. What is your status at WVSOM? (if you dont mind)