West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Decision Deferred by Committee POST-interview. I wake up every morning thinking it could be a glorious day of acceptance...and every day I'm disappointed haha. I want to know so bad. I think it's waitlist-ish? They told me it's kind of like it, but it's not...so long story short, I don't know what to think. Uncertainty is not fun haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Decision Deferred by Committee POST-interview. I wake up every morning thinking it could be a glorious day of acceptance...and every day I'm disappointed haha. I want to know so bad. I think it's waitlist-ish? They told me it's kind of like it, but it's not...so long story short, I don't know what to think. Uncertainty is not fun haha.
I understand. when did you interview? You are right, uncertainty is not fun at all. I was in the decision deferred category since 01/02 and finally today got an interview. Let's keep the hope up. ;)

I interviewed back in October, so you can only imagine how I feel haha. Congrats on the interview by the way, I hope you rock it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed back in October, so you can only imagine how I feel haha. Congrats on the interview by the way, I hope you rock it!
Oh wow!.. that is a long wait. I hope you get in.
Thank you! I hope I can report good news soon after the interview.

Thank you, I appreciate it! I'll be hoping for you as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Just had my interview 2 days ago, the entire process was amazing... Drive did suck bc of the weather sadly. Cannot wait to hear back. For those who were accepted or waitlisted did it take 1 or 2 weeks to hear back? They told us possibly next week, but more likely in 2 weeks.

Just had my interview 2 days ago, the entire process was amazing... Drive did suck bc of the weather sadly. Cannot wait to hear back. For those who were accepted or waitlisted did it take 1 or 2 weeks to hear back? They told us possibly next week, but more likely in 2 weeks.

I interviewed 12-5 and saw that I was accepted on the online portal 12-17 (sometime around 12:00 CST)

I interviewed 1-17 and have yet to hear anything.

Interviewed on 1-17 as well and haven't heard back yet. My guess is Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing in a few days. Any tips guys?

Be on time, tons of smiles, show your enthusiasm. Be yourself, don't exadurate. Make sure to read you application and personal statement. Know any weaknesses in yourself or application and be prepared to answer them. Good luck.

For the people who are accepted, do you mind sharing your stats?

Does anyone have an academic calendar? I just want to get a rough idea of what the M1 year looks like. Thanks!

Got a reminder email for my interview this Wednesday... Getting super excited!!!

Does anyone have an academic calendar? I just want to get a rough idea of what the M1 year looks like. Thanks!
2013-2014 calendar is found here: http://wvsom.edu/sites/default/files/.1/Academic_Calendar_for_2013-2014r.pdf

SweetC: Are you morning or Afternoon on Wednesday?

Just worked in the OR with three third years from WVSOM, one of which is one of next years anatomy TAs. Very nice guys.

Can I say that I should have created a new email address for the application process so that every time my phone buzzed, my heart rate didn't jump.....

For those of you that interviewed 1-17, CHECK YOUR CHECKLIST!

Interviewed 1-17, accepted 1-28!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
That's awesome congrats!!! I interviewed that day too so I'm hoping it will pop up soon!! Ahhhhh so anxious to find out!

Interview invite… How were people's overall impression of the school/area? I am a bit frightened at how rural it is. Sitting on a couple acceptances but would like to hear some feedback. Thank you :)

I went to college in a town of 5000 people and wouldn't have had it any other way! So my opinion is definitely biased.

The town in my opinion is amazing. It has all the amenities a larger city would have yet has that small town charm and atmosphere. Everyone we talked to was extremely cordial and only said good things about the "O" school (what the locals call the med school apparently). I'm an avid runner and went on a few long runs while I was there and the views were absolutely breathtaking. We explored the downtown area rather extensively after my interview and all the bars/restaurants were very nice. The only down side to the town was that there is only one way out and in to the the town so traffic was kind of an issue.

My interview there was a very pleasant experience and the students we had lunch with seemed to be very happy at the school. The anatomy lab and simulated robot patients were superb. The school has an emphasis on early patient exposure which I think is critical to developing the patient communication side of medicine.

Overall, I think it will be worth it to interview, however if you are from a big city and have little experience with small towns, this school may not be right for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Hope you get in. Its a great school. Keep you in my prayers.

I went to college in a town of 5000 people and wouldn't have had it any other way! So my opinion is definitely biased.

The town in my opinion is amazing. It has all the amenities a larger city would have yet has that small town charm and atmosphere. Everyone we talked to was extremely cordial and only said good things about the "O" school (what the locals call the med school apparently). I'm an avid runner and went on a few long runs while I was there and the views were absolutely breathtaking. We explored the downtown area rather extensively after my interview and all the bars/restaurants were very nice. The only down side to the town was that there is only one way out and in to the the town so traffic was kind of an issue.

My interview there was a very pleasant experience and the students we had lunch with seemed to be very happy at the school. The anatomy lab and simulated robot patients were superb. The school has an emphasis on early patient exposure which I think is critical to developing the patient communication side of medicine.

Overall, I think it will be worth it to interview, however if you are from a big city and have little experience with small towns, this school may not be right for you.

Yeah, coming from a city with ~420,000 people, this may be quite the culture shock for me. Thanks for the input, very helpful!

Declined my interview invite for Jan. 31st. Hope one of you guys get it!

Hey! When did you interview bc i interviewed on monday as well!

Hey! When did you interview bc i interviewed on monday as well!

Any feedback for us that have an interview coming up (I'm scheduled for next Wednesday)? How were the questions and your day there?

Thanks!

I interviewed on 1/23 and was accepted.. Looks like I will be bound to WVSOM! Guess I gotta get started on finding a place to live around there! if anyone else is looking for a place let me know!

Any feedback for us that have an interview coming up (I'm scheduled for next Wednesday)? How were the questions and your day there?

Thanks!
Its extremely laid back. Toss out any rehearsed answers, be yourself, and the two major questions is why WVSOM, and why DO. They know your application really well, and on the whole everyone there is SUPER nice.

Its extremely laid back. Toss out any rehearsed answers, be yourself, and the two major questions is why WVSOM, and why DO. They know your application really well, and on the whole everyone there is SUPER nice.

I concur, you many also wanna be relaxed and smile a lot. Please have some questions ready to ask at the end of the interview.

Thank you guys for the feedback!!

I will definitely keep all of the advice in mind for next week.

Hey everyone!

I was looking to see if some current students could chime in about WVSOM. I was very surprised by the admissions staff and how gracious they were. Are you currently satisfied with all of your instructors, and do you feel as if you are getting the necessary knowledge and education out of your courses? Additionally, has there been any feedback as far as the early clinical involvement and the impact that subsequently had with residency audition rotations? I know some schools do not emphasize sim training as much, and was wondering if any current OMSIII, IV, or residents have mentioned their preparation and how much of an influence it had in their clinical experiences. Additionally, do you feel as if your clinic hours are helpful, or taking away from time that could be concentrated elsewhere?

Also, I know there were some previous curriculum changes that resulted in some discrepancies on the COMLEX exam. Do you feel as if the course structure of the curriculum now is adequately is preparing you with a basis of knowledge to perform well? I really fell in love with this school, and all that it has to offer. It seems as if every student I spoke with was very content with their education and in a good state of mind. The facilities had everything necessary for a wonderful osteopathic foundation.

Overall, what made you choose WVSOM? Do you have any regrets and/or advice to offer up for possible future students? Pros/cons? Thank you all so much in advance for your responses. I appreciate the help!

Well now that I've interviewed, I am anxiously awaiting a decision to appear on my application status page. Does anyone have any idea on what days they meet to make decisions?

Don't quote me, but a little birdie told me they meet either every Tuesday or every other Tuesday.

Hey everyone!

I was looking to see if some current students could chime in about WVSOM. I was very surprised by the admissions staff and how gracious they were. Are you currently satisfied with all of your instructors, and do you feel as if you are getting the necessary knowledge and education out of your courses? Additionally, has there been any feedback as far as the early clinical involvement and the impact that subsequently had with residency audition rotations? I know some schools do not emphasize sim training as much, and was wondering if any current OMSIII, IV, or residents have mentioned their preparation and how much of an influence it had in their clinical experiences. Additionally, do you feel as if your clinic hours are helpful, or taking away from time that could be concentrated elsewhere?

Also, I know there were some previous curriculum changes that resulted in some discrepancies on the COMLEX exam. Do you feel as if the course structure of the curriculum now is adequately is preparing you with a basis of knowledge to perform well? I really fell in love with this school, and all that it has to offer. It seems as if every student I spoke with was very content with their education and in a good state of mind. The facilities had everything necessary for a wonderful osteopathic foundation.

Overall, what made you choose WVSOM? Do you have any regrets and/or advice to offer up for possible future students? Pros/cons? Thank you all so much in advance for your responses. I appreciate the help!

In for responses!

Hey everyone!

+1

Hey everyone!

You might wanna check-out the 2017 FB page - there are some discussions about the curriculum if you scroll on down a few months: https://www.facebook.com/groups/154458718033143?ref=br_tf

Hi all, for all how have been accepted, when are you guys generally planning to actually move to Lewisburg? Just wanna get a general idea.