West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My first choice is pcom. On a related note I chose wvsom over lecom before I heard from my first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
graduating in 2 weeks....made this account to try and preserve some of my anonymity :)

anyhow....if anyone has any questions about going to school here i will be more than happy to entertain them for the next couple of weeks until things pick up in residency. i can spill all the dirty little secrets the school has....lol, just kidding. i'll give you my honest feedback on anything you ask. anyhow, shoot me a PM if ya feel like asking me anything. good luck :thumbup:

graduating in 2 weeks....made this account to try and preserve some of my anonymity :)

anyhow....if anyone has any questions about going to school here i will be more than happy to entertain them for the next couple of weeks until things pick up in residency. i can spill all the dirty little secrets the school has....lol, just kidding. i'll give you my honest feedback on anything you ask. anyhow, shoot me a PM if ya feel like asking me anything. good luck :thumbup:

Others might have the same questions so I'll post it on here.

1) Do you feel the school prepared you well for your boards?

2) How did you pay for school?

3) Did you show up for lectures or watch them at home?

Thanks!

Others might have the same questions so I'll post it on here.

1) Do you feel the school prepared you well for your boards?

I feel as though for the ck portion they could have done a little better. for us they had us take the comsae and use that as a gauge early on. those that did really bad had to sit down with them to kinda just see how things are going. for level one they bought us boards boot camp (which I utterly detested and never touched after trying it out). they didn't really give us much time to study. however, from talking with upcoming 3rd years I hear that's changed a little and there's a lot more time to study on your own (which I think is the best way to prep for it)

now as for the PE: they will hammer that dang thing into your head like there's no tomorrow. come time for the real thing it will be just like a regular day in clin skills. that is one thing I think they do very well in

2) How did you pay for school?

hpsp

3) Did you show up for lectures or watch them at home?

first year I went to every single lecture because I thought "this is med school you must go!!!!" second year I discovered just how nice recorded lectures are. some profs talk so slow I could double speed them and get what I needed and save a lot of time. I found I studied much better just chilling by myself and listening to lectures while taking notes. never went to anything but required lectures second year. did fine on all tests as well as boards.

Thanks!

answers in bold

Great thanks! I'm applying for hpsp. I hope it goes well.

Reactions: 1 user

Grats on graduating soon!! I was considering applying for HPSP, but not entirely too sure about commitments after med school.
How do you guys study for tests in general? Are there previous years' exams you guys study off of or do questions seem like they are pulling them from thin air?
I guess this is kinda early, but as for the boards, I heard some people study off of USMLE world step 1. I guess I want to see if I should consider getting the package early on and study off of that from the beginning.
Thanks!

Grats on graduating soon!! I was considering applying for HPSP, but not entirely too sure about commitments after med school.
How do you guys study for tests in general? Are there previous years' exams you guys study off of or do questions seem like they are pulling them from thin air?
I guess this is kinda early, but as for the boards, I heard some people study off of USMLE world step 1. I guess I want to see if I should consider getting the package early on and study off of that from the beginning.
Thanks!
they give us "objectives" at the beginning of each lecture that profs always said "this is exactly where i pull my test questions from blah blah blah blah" i never really even looked at them (except for maybe a quick run through at the end of thoroughly studying a lecture to make sure i didnt miss anything) i would pour over their slides, listen to the lecture at least once, some parts twice if it was a particularly heavy lecture, and then read the assigned textbook pages. personally, i love reading textbooks and read everything they assigned....i found it really did help rather than just relying on lecture and slides alone. they guard test questions like they are nuclear missile launch codes. its kind of annoying, we got the sense that they were just lazy and never wanted to change/update/write new questions unless they were horrendously bad questions. you get to go to a test review and look at the test and compare your answers so you can kind of see what you missed and think about why and that is the only opportunity you have to learn from your mistakes or see the question at hand. they ban cell phones or other electronic things so that you cant be all sneaky and snap photos of questions (i never tried nor had a desire to, just letting ya know how they run things). as i mentioned, i'm sure they are using some of these questions for years now so i can understand their worry about having them leaked, but at the same time it just made the "learning from your mistakes" part a little difficult.

i used combank, first aid and pathoma for round 1 of boards and did great. as far as starting early and studying off of that: i'd say it probably cant hurt. however, too early and its more of just a "hmmm, ok thats what this topic on the boards is all about....now i have to focus on what this prof is gonna be pulling out of his rear for the exam in a few days". i started studying several months out, with the hardcore studying (12-14 hour days) the last month or so. it really all depends on your style of studying, but i think too early and youre not able to focus on classroom exams (and most of them require your FULL attention) i really think youd be fine starting later rather than early on. dont sweat boards till that time comes. believe me, there will be a time to sweat boards and you wanna wait till it arrives

they give us "objectives" at the beginning of each lecture that profs always said "this is exactly where i pull my test questions from blah blah blah blah" i never really even looked at them (except for maybe a quick run through at the end of thoroughly studying a lecture to make sure i didnt miss anything) i would pour over their slides, listen to the lecture at least once, some parts twice if it was a particularly heavy lecture, and then read the assigned textbook pages. personally, i love reading textbooks and read everything they assigned....i found it really did help rather than just relying on lecture and slides alone. they guard test questions like they are nuclear missile launch codes. its kind of annoying, we got the sense that they were just lazy and never wanted to change/update/write new questions unless they were horrendously bad questions. you get to go to a test review and look at the test and compare your answers so you can kind of see what you missed and think about why and that is the only opportunity you have to learn from your mistakes or see the question at hand. they ban cell phones or other electronic things so that you cant be all sneaky and snap photos of questions (i never tried nor had a desire to, just letting ya know how they run things). as i mentioned, i'm sure they are using some of these questions for years now so i can understand their worry about having them leaked, but at the same time it just made the "learning from your mistakes" part a little difficult.

i used combank, first aid and pathoma for round 1 of boards and did great. as far as starting early and studying off of that: i'd say it probably cant hurt. however, too early and its more of just a "hmmm, ok thats what this topic on the boards is all about....now i have to focus on what this prof is gonna be pulling out of his rear for the exam in a few days". i started studying several months out, with the hardcore studying (12-14 hour days) the last month or so. it really all depends on your style of studying, but i think too early and youre not able to focus on classroom exams (and most of them require your FULL attention) i really think youd be fine starting later rather than early on. dont sweat boards till that time comes. believe me, there will be a time to sweat boards and you wanna wait till it arrives

I have heard WVSOM has an issue with attrition. What's going on there?

I have heard WVSOM has an issue with attrition. What's going on there?
no clue as to the issue with attrition. maybe a bunch of disillusioned students who thought it was going to be cake? my class didnt have as much of an issue as the class behind us and i'm not sure of the exact numbers after that for other classes. i wouldnt see it being because students got here and found out they were tricked in the most evil way and the staff are all really blood sucking vampires who carry out occult student sacrifices using black magic (in other words, i feel as though the school does a good job at showing its true face through info found on its website and through the interview and touring process with prospective students)

Members don't see this ad :)

Great, thanks so much for the insight and gluck on residency!

Have you heard any more word on these auto acceptances for next year or any other information for students who have been alternate listed this cycle?
Has anyone heard anything from the admissions committee recently regarding the alternate list? How many people are on it? And anything about the auto-acceptance policy?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything regarding the alternate list? How many people are on it? And anything about the auto acceptance policy?

Thanks!

Have you heard any more word on these auto acceptances for next year or any other information for students who have been alternate listed this cycle?

We should probably start just alternate in asking Angie et. al about the alt list status and post their replies here as what the people on this thread did last year. Otherwise they would probably get annoyed at my asking the same questions to them every couple of weeks or so lol

Just talked with Kim. She mentioned that there has been no movement on the alt list and that she doesn't know how many people are on the alt list. She also mentioned that there are currently no plans for the adcoms to meet any time soon on giving decisions for this year or next year unless people start to withdraw from the currently accepted class (which hasn't happened as of yet or if at all). The other thing she said (which was less reassuring) is that now that AACOMAS is opened it would be good to possibly looking into that as well :/

Just talked with Kim. She mentioned that there has been no movement on the alt list and that she doesn't know how many people are on the alt list. She also mentioned that there are currently no plans for the adcoms to meet any time soon on giving decisions for this year or next year unless people start to withdraw from the currently accepted class (which hasn't happened as of yet or if at all). The other thing she said (which was less reassuring) is that now that AACOMAS is opened it would be good to possibly looking into that as well :/

Wow and wow.

haha ya I mean she was nice in our conversation, but the message was quite blunt nevertheless

Maybe she was having an "off" day. We all have them. :)

To have no movement through June and July would be very strange so the probability of at least a few getting off the waitlist would be fairly high in my opinion.

No movement as of now. I called and they said that they accept more than possible to compensate for those who drop out.

They really should make this clear to those that interview in April who are simply put on an alternate list. That's somewhat shady on their part if they overaccept AND have a long alternate list. Being placed on an alternate list without overacceptance is one thing. Why not stop interviewing in May and call it a day instead of wasting people's time and money? Maybe it is the supplementary money that they needed which is only given by the applicant if they are offered an interview at WVSOM?

They really should make this clear to those that interview in April who are simply put on an alternate list. That's somewhat shady on their part if they overaccept AND have a long alternate list. Being placed on an alternate list without overacceptance is one thing. Why not stop interviewing in May and call it a day instead of wasting people's time and money? Maybe it is the supplementary money that they needed which is only given by the applicant if they are offered an interview at WVSOM?

Accepting more people than space for the intention of putting some people on the waitlist is normal for a lot of schools. Its just that what makes this more excruciating is the unique anticipation of getting an auto-acceptance for next year. I've been waiting in what seemed like purgatory since march 7 haha. Its kind like getting a first class ticket for a plane but then having to wait in line to board the plane if there is space.

Its just that every year they have a different adcom and thus they have a different set of deadlines when they decide each year (i believe last year people found out near the middle of may :/ )

Accepting more people than space for the intention of putting some people on the waitlist is normal for a lot of schools. Its just that what makes this more excruciating is the unique anticipation of getting an auto-acceptance for next year. I've been waiting in what seemed like purgatory since march 7 haha. Its kind like getting a first class ticket for a plane but then having to wait in line to board the plane if there is space.

Its just that every year they have a different adcom and thus they have a different set of deadlines when they decide each year (i believe last year people found out near the middle of may :/ )

Some schools only accept for the seats available and then have a waitlist. Swimmingsurg suggests that they have given out acceptances for seats that they don't even have open yet. Giving acceptances out to seats that aren't even available yet and having a waitlist is overkill and leads to a lot of disappointment. This is good information for students this new application cycle to know especially for those who interview in April.

Some schools only accept for the seats available and then have a waitlist. Swimmingsurg suggests that they have given out acceptances for seats that they don't even have open yet. Giving acceptances out to seats that aren't even available yet and having a waitlist is overkill and leads to a lot of disappointment. This is good information for students this new application cycle to know especially for those who interview in April.

Well, regardless we'll just have to wait what they say as far as what they'll do with us. Basically, don't hold your breath on getting any news any time soon. In the meantime, I guess it's time to go back to redoing that AACOMAS application when the cycle starts again in a couple of days :(

Well, regardless we'll just have to wait what they say as far as what they'll do with us. Basically, don't hold your breath on getting any news any time soon. In the meantime, I guess it's time to go back to redoing that AACOMAS application when the cycle starts again in a couple of days :(
I was told to wait a little longer to reapply. I looked at last years cycle and most heard back by the end of June and beginning of July

My status has been "decision deferred" since I interviewed in November!
My files have all been submitted. I have no idea what to think. I've talked to the committee and been provided with no feedback. Anyone know what's up? I'm starting to lose hope.

My status has been "decision deferred" since I interviewed in November!
My files have all been submitted. I have no idea what to think. I've talked to the committee and been provided with no feedback. Anyone know what's up? I'm starting to lose hope.
That's a little odd. Our guess is probably as good as yours. When did you call them last to inquire about this?

My decision was deferred since my interview in January, and changed this week to "alternate-nonrollover" I"m assuming that means its a no go for auto-acceptance to next year for me?

My decision was deferred since my interview in January, and changed this week to "alternate-nonrollover" I"m assuming that means its a no go for auto-acceptance to next year for me?

Not really sure exactly, but from what your status appears that seems to be the case. However, it appears that people from last year who was "alternate-nonrollover" were accepted into the same year they applied so wouldn't count out on getting accepted all together anyway. You should call them and see what's the deal. On another note, it looks like since your status was recently changed they are reviewing files again.

Most movement usually happens in June / July right? Its only been two weeks since the may 15th deadline for MD schools. I don't think we should be worrying too much yet.

So is that a good sign for possible auto-acceptance if my portal doesn't say anything about non-rollover? It just says Alternate List still.

Most movement usually happens in June / July right? Its only been two weeks since the may 15th deadline for MD schools. I don't think we should be worrying too much yet.

So is that a good sign for possible auto-acceptance if my portal doesn't say anything about non-rollover? It just says Alternate List still.

Mine just says alternate as well... I am curious about all of the different status that different people have.

Hah mine was just changed again! From "alternate-non rollover" to just "alternate"

Mine just says alternate as well... I am curious about all of the different status that different people have.

Looking at last year's post, it seems that the status are:

Denied admission by committee-->Decision Deferred -->Alternate List w/ no rollover --> Alternate List w/rollover --> Accept Applicant

However, given they have a new adcom this year they may have changed up the priority or even the categories themselves as to what they mean.

There must be some movement occurring if they are changing people's statuses from decision deferred to alternate list...right?

I really hope the new adcom agrees on the auto-acceptance policy. What do you guys think?

There must be some movement occurring if they are changing people's statuses from decision deferred to alternate list...right?

I really hope the new adcom agrees on the auto-acceptance policy. What do you guys think?

From what StudyShy was saying before, it appears they gave way too many acceptance for a small number of seats and then on top of that have the alternate list. So even if someone were to withdraw their seats, there are still plenty of other people who were already directly accepted to fill in those who withdraw. If that is the case, there probably won't be too much movement anytime soon.
As for the auto-acceptance policy, even though they have been giving those out every year it's still a per-year basis because theres a different adcom every year. So if this year happens to be the year where they've accepted too many ppl, they could just not do auto-acceptance. But let's hope they do decide to continue that tradition of giving auto-acceptance this year :/

From what StudyShy was saying before, it appears they gave way too many acceptance for a small number of seats and then on top of that have the alternate list. So even if someone were to withdraw their seats, there are still plenty of other people who were already directly accepted to fill in those who withdraw. If that is the case, there probably won't be too much movement anytime soon.
As for the auto-acceptance policy, even though they have been giving those out every year it's still a per-year basis because theres a different adcom every year. So if this year happens to be the year where they've accepted too many ppl, they could just not do auto-acceptance. But let's hope they do decide to continue that tradition of giving auto-acceptance this year :/

well the thing is during the early and one time part of interview season (sept?-- to feb) they accept about 50 percent of their interviewees (from what I heard from a current student) however I assumed that most people wouldn't be willing to pay the 3k deposit unless they were set on wvsom which was due for everyone mid march. I personally know people who got in at my interview but decided not to pay the deposit

I had a similar conversation with Ms. Moore regarding my status last week. She told me there was no movement regarding any withdraws and to pretty much start the AACOMAS application or look into grad schools.

Side note: did anyones application status change from alternate non roll over to alternate within the last 24 hours?

Did anyone get a call today from Patricia Perkins? I'm at work and won't be able to return the call by the time they'll probably leave and it's eating me up.

Did anyone get a call today from Patricia Perkins? I'm at work and won't be able to return the call by the time they'll probably leave and it's eating me up.

That probably means you got accepted, congrats! Mind if i ask what your stats were and when did you get interviewed?

That probably means you got accepted, congrats! Mind if i ask what your stats were and when did you get interviewed?

My status is still just "alternate" though. Wouldn't it have changed to "accepted" if that's why she was calling?

Reactions: 1 user

I applied the last week of January and interviewed March 10th or 17th, I can't remember which. MCAT score was 30 and GPA is 3.6. You were right, they offered me a spot and I've been accepted. Good luck to you all.