what profession is not saturated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
over this past weekend ive talked to some of my friends in different careers and it seems that almost every field is saturated: engineering, accounting, most of healthcare, lawyers, etc.

other than the really nice medical residencies (dermatology, OB/GYN, etc.) my thought is that it seems like every profession is saturated. so even if some pre-pharm student were to change to a different profession, wouldnt it be the same issue of facing fierce job competition? (besides the additional loans for pharmacy school)

still looking forward to be a working as a pharmacist (and a good one hopefully) but this has been stuck in my mind for the past day so i figured to get some points of view from some fellow SDN ppl

Members don't see this ad.

over this past weekend ive talked to some of my friends in different careers and it seems that almost every field is saturated: engineering, accounting, most of healthcare, lawyers, etc.

other than the really nice medical residencies (dermatology, OB/GYN, etc.) my thought is that it seems like every profession is saturated. so even if some pre-pharm student were to change to a different profession, wouldnt it be the same issue of facing fierce job competition? (besides the additional loans for pharmacy school)

still looking forward to be a working as a pharmacist (and a good one hopefully) but this has been stuck in my mind for the past day so i figured to get some points of view from some fellow SDN ppl

Yeah but you can get an engineering, accounting, or nursing degree really cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
i was having this discussion with a pharmacist i work with and he told me other jobs are just as saturated as pharmacy but the good thing about pharmacy is that its a secure job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah but you can get an engineering, accounting, or nursing degree really cheap.

of course, but you would be still doing nothing if you cant a job in your prospective field based on this economy.

i was having this discussion with a pharmacist i work with and he told me other jobs are just as saturated as pharmacy but the good thing about pharmacy is that its a secure job.

my dad (a pharmacist as well) has said the same thing but depending on your flexibility to work in certain places. he said some pharmacists have been laid off but mostly in big cities

Computer programming, specifically sharepoint developers. My old lady does this. She could leave her job tomorrow and be on a new one by the end of the week. Dunno about how long sharepoint will be popular though.

In Oklahoma, pharmacy is saturated in METRO AREAS ONLY. There are still jobs to be had if you're willing to move. I have no sympathy for the people who sit around and gripe about the lack of jobs. They should be griping about their lack of flexibility.

over this past weekend ive talked to some of my friends in different careers and it seems that almost every field is saturated: engineering, accounting, most of healthcare, lawyers, etc. my thought is that it seems like every profession is saturated. so even if some pre-pharm student were to change to a different profession, wouldnt it be the same issue of facing fierce job competition? (besides the additional loans for pharmacy school)

The difference is that most pharmacists are retail pharmacists. They are essentially a commodity and thus interchangeable.

This is in contrast to fields like law which is highly stratified. A lawyer from a lower tier school will likely never cross paths and apply to the same jobs as a lawyer from a Top 14 law school. So while law in general might be very saturated, there is still a very high demand for a Yale graduate on law review or a lawyer with a consistent record of victories.

Same with engineering. An engineer with experience managing dozens of engineers on multiple successful projects will always be in high demand. But retail pharmacists all start looking the same after 5 years of experience.

So I would say pharmacists are far more vulnerable to saturation than many other fields where excellent performance is more visible and highly desired.

Ive been riding on the PA bandwagon, and I stick with it

when it comes to docs, PCPs are always needed since no 1 wants to go into that field due to pay

Members don't see this ad :)
In Oklahoma, pharmacy is saturated in METRO AREAS ONLY. There are still jobs to be had if you're willing to move. I have no sympathy for the people who sit around and gripe about the lack of jobs. They should be griping about their lack of flexibility.

So I could live in Tulsa and maybe commute 20-30 minutes to work? I would have to move out of my state first.

yeah, Dermatology isn't saturated. There are a very limited number of dermatology residency spots, it's highly competitive - there are always jobs in derm. but OB/GYN is not a desirable residency at all and there is going to be a huge shortage in a few years. The problem with medicine isn't the saturation as much as it is the pay - you can get a job pretty much anywhere as any type of physician, it just may not pay what you like. for example; I'm applying to anesthesia residencies, as a anesthesiologist you can easily get a job in L.A, nyc, chicago, but your starting salary will probably be 260k as opposed to 350+ in places like Texas, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, etc. same applies to most other fields in medicine, i think. From what i've seen in pharmacy * feel free to correct if i'm wrong * , the salaries don't vary that much, it's just that certain markets are excessively saturated and desirable institutions will require a applicant to have a residency or additional training to get the job, as opposed to a non-desirable locale.

GOP presidential candidates. Current pool looking bleak.

Ah, gotcha. Clergyman.
I think prophets predate clergy, and we certainly do not have a saturation of prophets. However, if something ever did happen to the market for them, it would be a good foundation for switching to clergy.

of course, but you would be still doing nothing if you cant a job in your prospective field based on this economy.

Yeah but 20k in student loans with no job is possibly manageable with a minimum wage job while 150k is not. It is definitely something people should think about when choosing career and school. If a pharmacy degree was 20k it wouldn't be a big deal if you can't find a job as a pharmacist, but 150k in debt and no job... Your pretty much screwed. But if your dad is going to pay for your college then don't even sweat it. Most are not fortunate enough to have parents in high paying jobs.

The difference is that most pharmacists are retail pharmacists. They are essentially a commodity and thus interchangeable.

This is in contrast to fields like law which is highly stratified. A lawyer from a lower tier school will likely never cross paths and apply to the same jobs as a lawyer from a Top 14 law school. So while law in general might be very saturated, there is still a very high demand for a Yale graduate on law review or a lawyer with a consistent record of victories.

Same with engineering. An engineer with experience managing dozens of engineers on multiple successful projects will always be in high demand. But retail pharmacists all start looking the same after 5 years of experience.

So I would say pharmacists are far more vulnerable to saturation than many other fields where excellent performance is more visible and highly desired.

good points. do you think in the future pharmacists maybe placed in a tier system like how a lawyer is placed in. im not sure how would it work since the only tier system ive known is the US News and world report (not a good way to rank the pharm schools at least based on their criteria)?

engineers with experience are pretty desirable but they're bout 1 million+ engineer in the country that would also be looking the same if they're all getting experience so wouldnt that also leave engineers in fierce competition?

thanks for the points from all the SNDers

define "a secure job" because that is not the case in pharmacy. it may seem secure to him because he is vested in his position and "currently" employed.

I think prophets predate clergy, and we certainly do not have a saturation of prophets. However, if something ever did happen to the market for them, it would be a good foundation for switching to clergy.

Not sure that prophets are professionals, but I will defer to your argument.

I would think that some of the skills would be transferable, but clergymen have to go to seminary school, prophets only need a direct line to God to practise their job. I am not sure that you can switch between the two. :shrug:

good points. do you think in the future pharmacists maybe placed in a tier system like how a lawyer

Pharmacy is more tiered than before and it will get worse.

Certainly not the way law is structured based on the elitism of the institution caste system.

Pharmacy has 2 major tiers. Retail & Inpatient. Inpatient is then further tiered into experience and additional training.

Not sure that prophets are professionals, but I will defer to your argument.

I would think that some of the skills would be transferable, but clergymen have to go to seminary school, prophets only need a direct line to God to practise their job. I am not sure that you can switch between the two. :shrug:
Valid points, although you can always branch out into entrepreneurship. If it's your religion, who can say that you need to attend the seminary?

Valid points, although you can always branch out into entrepreneurship. If it's your religion, who can say that you need to attend the seminary?

Now you are talking. Joseph Smith didn't need no seminary. It seems fail-proof.

Actually I really don't think you can fail going that route. Harold Camping seems to be doing just fine and I don't know how to fail in a more spectacular or large scale way than he. I mean if he can bounce back from this, I guess anyone can make a go of it.

Try getting a job like that with a pharmacy degree. Ask me how I know this.

Let me guess. You tried applying for a job there and they wouldn't hire you b/c you have a PharmD? LOL...

Well, if you really want to apply for a job outside of pharmacy, then just tell them you have a bachelor's degree only or high school degree only. I wouldn't tell anyone I have a PharmD unless I am applying for a pharmacy position.

Hmm...Let's see. Plenty of travel, always meeting new and exciting people, and you never have to worry about forgetting to take out the trash. Is it a union job though?
Let's not forget the biggest perk: all you can eat!

Garbage man then.

Several years ago, one of our local newspaper columnists did a piece wondering why garbagemen were paid more than teachers. He guessed it was sexism, the whole male vs. female thing, etc. and he got a LOT of feedback from that, and the best was from a married couple - she was a teacher and he was a garbageman with a master's degree. They had moved to this town for her job, and he was having difficulty finding a job in his field so he took the garbageman job just because they needed the money, and he was shocked to discover that he loved it! :thumbup: He didn't plan to do it forever (most can't after age 50 or so because the job is so physical) but he did say that it is NOT the unskilled job most people think it is, plus he is doing a valuable public service.

And SHC, I don't have a Pharm.D. I have a B.Sc.Pharm. And I do have to put my previous work experience on applications, regardless of what the job is. I am planning to move to a city that's about 10 times bigger than the one I'm living in now, one where I used to live and has a lot lower unemployment rate, so maybe I can find something there.

i feel like the janitor and garbageman comments are a bit mean spirited. It's not professional.

Yeah, is true, I will start pharmacy school this august (NOVA ft-lauderdale), and I have the award letter right there for me to accept it. I have a bachelors in chemistry, and I have not found any jobs at all after I graduated (off course I am looking for jobs in south florida ONLY). But, I just can not stop thinking about, going all the way trough pharmacy school, and end up in the same shoes that I am right now...it is a terrible feeling, specially after I took physical chemistry :D... what should we do?

My neighbors are both chemical engineers. He lost his job about 2 years ago, and it took him 5 months to find another one. He had a lot more at stake than I did, too because at the time, they had 2 little kids and she was pregnant with #3, who's now about 14 months old. She does some home-based contract work so that did bring in some money, but not enough to support a family. His parents live in a small town about 40 miles away, and that's how he found out about this job.

Apparently the "build a new pharmacy school" profession is booming.

Ah, gotcha. Clergyman.

In all seriousness though, being a rabbi isn't a bad deal. It's a lot of schooling, but Ithe pay can go up to 100 grand. Plus some of them get free housing so they don't have to drive to the synagogue on the sabbath.

Jobs like plumber, electrician, and HVAC technicians are facing a growing shortage- the current workforce is aging, and there are few people taking up these trades.

Pay is on the upswing (even after the housing bust), and in many instances with enough experience you can go out on your own and be your own boss.

Air traffic controllers...

There is also a tier in retail pharmacy. A pharmacist manager who can bring in results and numbers, with years of experience is still in high demand. I know that I am highly in demand still. New graduates on the other hand without experience are now a dime a dozen (literally).

Just like how lawyers can win case after case, a pharmacist who can turn around challenge stores and drive business is invaluable.

There is also a tier in retail pharmacy. A pharmacist manager who can bring in results and numbers, with years of experience is still in high demand. I know that I am highly in demand still. New graduates on the other hand without experience are now a dime a dozen (literally).

I don't doubt that at all.

New graduates on the other hand without experience are now a dime a dozen (literally).

I question your usage of the word "literally" here. I've noticed that this word seems to be taking on an entirely new meaning recently.